Race to the MVP pt. III

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Re: Race to the MVP pt. III 

Post#661 » by lorak » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:21 am

Durant is great, he probably is playing GOAT scoring season, but the game is more than just scoring. And even is Durant is slightly better on offense than James (what's arguable, because LJ is much better playmaker), then there's still the other end of the court. And LeBron is defensive anchor of Heat and as showed by great SideshowBob's post, LJ is amazing defender. So no doubt he's better player than Durant. Is he also MVP? I guess it depends on criteria. If team result means more than actual contribution to that results then yeah, whey not Durant?
chales_zed
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#662 » by chales_zed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 am

Lebron is the best player in the league, but is Durant more valuable?

There's a massive influx of combo-guards. Rose, Westbrook, Lillard, Irving, Holiday, Jennings, Wall and they're all ball-dominant slashers. If you placed Lebron in those teams, sure they're better, but there's also redundancy just like on the Heat with Lebron and Wade because, for example, a tandem of Rose and Lebron are at their best when they've both got the ball in their hands to create for others and for themselves, usually by slashing to the basket.

Whereas Durant is great without needing to dominate the ball. Westbrook can dribble the air out of it and take all his shots and Durant will still get his 30 points on elite efficiency. And he's a threat to catch and shoot from anywhere on the field, you'd have to get a long defender to stick on him like glue wherever he chooses to roam, I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Barnes follows him into the locker-room and toilet breaks, he's just too much of a scoring threat.
ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
And1: 208

Post#663 » by ShowTimeERA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm

As of 1/23

1. Durant

2. Paul/Lebron

The gap between Lebron and Durant for best player in the NBA is extremely close...
WinisKing
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,988

Post#664 » by WinisKing » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:17 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:As of 1/23

1. Durant

2. Paul/Lebron

The gap between Lebron and Durant for best player in the NBA is extremely close...

Overreaction from one good game by Durant

The same can be said about those who place Lebron ahead after every Heat win
ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
And1: 208

Post#665 » by ShowTimeERA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:36 pm

WinisKing wrote:

1. Durant

2. Paul/Lebron

Not at all, I post my current MVP rankings on a weekly basis. Those who place Lebron ahead after every Heat win are the one's grasping for anything they can grab onto in order to run into this thread...
jayjamesson
Junior
And1: 4

Post#666 » by jayjamesson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:08 pm

If making a case for the best player is reaching I don't know why we having a discussion. GTFO kobe stans.
FlashFlare
RealGM
And1: 30,615

Post#667 » by FlashFlare » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

I've got Durant for MVP right now based on his team's record. I've got Paul and LeBron tied for 2nd. Though I do think LeBron is the most valuable...you can tell just by how the Heat struggle when he's not the floor.
100% WADEaboo
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#668 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:04 pm

I saw that Clips game the other night - Durant when he gets rolling with his J, just forget about it. It's effortless how he drills deep 3pters from all over the floor and he was making some great dribble penetration passes also. He and Lebron are different players, and he won't get acknowledged as "better" unless he can get it done on the biggest stage in the Finals, but damn he is good.

You gotta have him in front now even if it's just slightly.

At least this year it would be a well deserved MVP no matter which one of them wins.
BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#669 » by BirdmanPresents » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Whoever still says Durant is just a scorer and doesn't do much else on the floor is an absolute idiot. He's been more than a scorer for the past few years now, he moves the ball so well and gets those "hockey assists" that don't show up in the stat line.
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#670 » by orangeparka » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:09 pm

chales_zed wrote:Lebron is the best player in the league, but is Durant more valuable?

There's a massive influx of combo-guards. Rose, Westbrook, Lillard, Irving, Holiday, Jennings, Wall and they're all ball-dominant slashers. If you placed Lebron in those teams, sure they're better, but there's also redundancy just like on the Heat with Lebron and Wade because, for example, a tandem of Rose and Lebron are at their best when they've both got the ball in their hands to create for others and for themselves, usually by slashing to the basket.

Whereas Durant is great without needing to dominate the ball. Westbrook can dribble the air out of it and take all his shots and Durant will still get his 30 points on elite efficiency. And he's a threat to catch and shoot from anywhere on the field, you'd have to get a long defender to stick on him like glue wherever he chooses to roam, I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Barnes follows him into the locker-room and toilet breaks, he's just too much of a scoring threat.

True. Basically the argument would be that LeBron alone would lead a far, far better record since he can be the primary ball-handler (old CLE), but KD is more valuable if you already have an elite primary ball-handler/attacker like Westbrook/Rose on the team.
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#671 » by orangeparka » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:13 pm

WinisKing wrote:

1. Durant

2. Paul/Lebron

His last few games have all been spectacular. Last game was a hella impressive performance by Westbrook/KD and the Thunder, even without CP3 IMO.

I would bet money that KD would win if it was decided today, and possibly that he'll win it this season. IMO, it's EXTREMELY tough to win four MVPs in five years, I just don't see it happening.

I would put Westbrook somewhere up there too. OKC is straight BALLIN', and in the entire month of January, he's 27/6/7. :o
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#672 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 pm

DavidStern wrote:Durant is great, he probably is playing GOAT scoring season, but the game is more than just scoring. And even is Durant is slightly better on offense than James (what's arguable, because LJ is much better playmaker), then there's still the other end of the court. And LeBron is defensive anchor of Heat and as showed by great SideshowBob's post, LJ is amazing defender. So no doubt he's better player than Durant. Is he also MVP? I guess it depends on criteria. If team result means more than actual contribution to that results then yeah, whey not Durant?

How can Durant be having the GOAT scoring season when Adrian Dantley had several better ones in the 80's? Durant is a 6'11 Dantley imo.

Current MVP Rankings

1. Durant
2. CP3
3. Lebron
4. Melo
5. Duncan
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#673 » by slick_watts » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:55 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:How can Durant be having the GOAT scoring season when Adrian Dantley had several better ones in the 80's? Durant is a 6'11 Dantley imo.

First of all did you even watch Dantley or did you check basketball-reference.com and decide this was true? If it's the latter you should have also noted the difference in pace between eras. If you adjust for pace, Durant's season looks better than Dantley's. You can't adjust for defenses, either, which IMO are better today than they were in the early to mid 80's.
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#674 » by theokie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
DavidStern wrote:Durant is great, he probably is playing GOAT scoring season, but the game is more than just scoring. And even is Durant is slightly better on offense than James (what's arguable, because LJ is much better playmaker), then there's still the other end of the court. And LeBron is defensive anchor of Heat and as showed by great SideshowBob's post, LJ is amazing defender. So no doubt he's better player than Durant. Is he also MVP? I guess it depends on criteria. If team result means more than actual contribution to that results then yeah, whey not Durant?

How can Durant be having the GOAT scoring season when Adrian Dantley had several better ones in the 80's? Durant is a 6'11 Dantley imo.

Thats pretty debatable on who's season is better when it comes to scoring. Durant having a 50/40/90 season is something Dantley couldn't even come close to, as he wasn't ever much of a 3-point shooter.

Dantley's Best Seasons: (excluding seasons where he played only about a quarter of the games)
TS% = .652; eFG%= .558; 56/x/86; 30.6 PPG
TS% = .635; eFG%= .576; 58/x/84; 28.0 PPG
TS% = .651; eFG%= .570; 57/x/79; 30.3 PPG

Durant This Season:
TS% = .655; eFG% = .572; 52/42/91; 29.5 PPG

Numbers are pretty close. Could argue ones better than the other i suppose, but in my opinion the numbers favor Durant slightly. But I think its incorrect to automatically declare that Dantley "had several better ones" when in fact thats not the case. At the very he had several seasons that are pretty close or equal, but likely fall short of what KD's doing right now.
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
fatal9
Bench Warmer
And1: 543

Post#675 » by fatal9 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:How can Durant be having the GOAT scoring season when Adrian Dantley had several better ones in the 80's? Durant is a 6'11 Dantley imo.

Durant, other than being a flat out better scorer, is the anti-Dantley (which is a good thing). They play nothing alike and are on completely different ends of the spectrum in terms of how effective they are as volume scorers in a team setting. This terrible comparison needs to stop.
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#676 » by fallacy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 pm

The only thing Durant and dantley have in common is their ts%. Durant is far superior in every other aspect
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#677 » by NYK_89 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 pm

theokie wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Thats pretty debatable on who's season is better when it comes to scoring. Durant having a 50/40/90 season is something Dantley couldn't even come close to, as he wasn't ever much of a 3-point shooter.

Dantley's Best Seasons: (excluding seasons where he played only about a quarter of the games)

Durant This Season:

Numbers are pretty close. Could argue ones better than the other i suppose, but in my opinion the numbers favor Durant slightly. But I think its incorrect to automatically declare that Dantley "had several better ones" when in fact thats not the case. At the very he had several seasons that are pretty close or equal, but likely fall short of what KD's doing right now.

Eh lets remember that the season is far from over right now.
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#678 » by theokie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:45 pm

NYK_89 wrote:
theokie wrote:

Durant This Season:

Eh lets remember that the season is far from over right now.

Not forgetting that. But since were talking about right now I can only use numbers up to this point. Half of an NBA season however is a pretty decent sample size regardless. And i was merely using those numbers as a way to compare someone else's point how Dantley had a better season than what KD is doing right now. Again, right now... I don't know how he will finish the season out, so I can only use what we have up to this point.
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#679 » by lorak » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:45 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Dantley was ball stopper, who didn't help his teams offense much. At least not as much as Durant's helps Thunder. Lets say Dantley's scoring improved Jazz offense by +4 ortg. Durant's scoring improves Thunder offense by +9 (hypothetical values, just to show scale of difference between them.)
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#680 » by mj234eva » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:52 pm

RE: Dantley vs Durant, need some context in here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=5288
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.

Return to The General Board