Seattle group gets Kings

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ThEMvP
Veteran
And1: 2

Re: Seattle group gets Kings 

Post#341 » by ThEMvP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:08 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:I guess Burkle's word is now gold. No way he offered the same amount of money. You guys are acting like the Maloofs hung up the phone when Burkle/anyone called. That's not how a proposal works. How the hell did Hansen get enough time to spit out a number then? Burkle's deal probably wasn't attractive enough.

Money talks. In the end, the Maloofs will sell it to the highest bidder, and they're the eventual winners of this deal (with already $30mm guaranteed).
ThEMvP
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#342 » by ThEMvP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 am

GREY 1769 wrote:USAToday copy editors being arrested by grammar police as we speak:

"Board of Governor's" Really?!

ThEMvP wrote:They could've just thought, "let's take the $30 mil, and let Seattle and Sacramento bid against themselves", which makes perfect sense.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, too. Looks like Burkle's back in play.

Say for whatever reason the BOG rejects the Seattle offer and KJ presents Sac offer, Maloofs can still say no to that? I mean, can the league do anything about their simply not wanting to sell to a Sac group (if that's indeed an intention)?

Ultimately, the final decision is on the Maloofs. It's THEIR team, they can sell to whoever they want. Stern can try to pressure them, or steer them into a certain direction, but again it's their final decision.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#343 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:I guess Burkle's word is now gold. No way he offered the same amount of money. You guys are acting like the Maloofs hung up the phone when Burkle/anyone called. That's not how a proposal works. How the hell did Hansen get enough time to spit out a number then? Burkle's deal probably wasn't attractive enough.

Watch this video and read the article.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/articl ... Kings-move

You will see who is right or not.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#344 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:20 am

KF10 wrote:

Yes because nobody changes their mind in 18 months.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#345 » by HotRocks34 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 am

ThEMvP wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:USAToday copy editors being arrested by grammar police as we speak:

"Board of Governor's" Really?!

ThEMvP wrote:They could've just thought, "let's take the $30 mil, and let Seattle and Sacramento bid against themselves", which makes perfect sense.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, too. Looks like Burkle's back in play.

Say for whatever reason the BOG rejects the Seattle offer and KJ presents Sac offer, Maloofs can still say no to that? I mean, can the league do anything about their simply not wanting to sell to a Sac group (if that's indeed an intention)?

Ultimately, the final decision is on the Maloofs. It's THEIR team, they can sell to whoever they want. Stern can try to pressure them, or steer them into a certain direction, but again it's their final decision.

This is my own thought -- how do you actually try to force the Maloofs to sell to a group or party you want them to sell to? I would have to think there could be some serious legal concern there.

The BOG approves or rejects sales and relocations, as far as I understand. But they don't initiate sales, at least not to my knowledge. And why would they? You think any owner on that Board wants to be told, in the future, who he or she is going to sell to as dictated by some outside force? Good luck trying to get owners in the future.

KJ can come and pitch the BOG on a Sacramento deal, but at the end of the day he doesn't own the team. The Maloofs do. The Kings aren't KJ's to sell, or buy.

I'm sure there will be plenty more twists and turns in this game before March (relocation deadline) and April (BOG meeting).
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid, including a 2nd-round game on the road
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#346 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
KF10 wrote:

Yes because nobody changes their mind in 18 months.

I guess you didn't see the video.

George Maloofs just waived off Burke's bid as "It's all talk...it's just words...hogwash.." despite Burke having working towards a bid (for months). The Maloofs didn't took him seriously.

How can you know that Burkle's offer wasn't attractive enough? In the video, there's all the proof in the world that the Maloofs are liars and terrible businessmen. Especially, after the fact that they shunned a person that is 10X more powerful. They are a bunch of idiots.

How did Hansen got the time to figure out a number, you say?

The Maloofs have been dealing with Hansen under the table, privately for months now! From the first rumor where Hansen offered ~$400m for the Kings, at that point, the Maloofs have been talking and organizing a deal since then. These are early reports as far as last summer that Hansen/Maloof approached each other of selling the team!

It's hilarious that all of these people here who are now-experts in arena affairs of Sacramento in the last couple of weeks are telling Kings fans (who has an actual pulse in the matter and followed everything from the start) something else than what they are saying. It's laughable.

People here like to argue just for the sake of arguing.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#347 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 am

The Maloofs are a massive joke and terrible human beings. They are trying everything in their powers to spite the city of Sacramento. If that means selling out from the NBA and moving the team out of Sacramento, they do it. I have no doubt in my mind.

They got soo mad when the deal to Anaheim was nuked where basically they were a heartbeat away moving the team there. So, they lost their chance of moving the Kings to a lucrative market in socal WHILE still being owners of the Kings and have all of their (or most of it iirc) debt erased by Samueli. Since then, KJ/Sacramento and the Maloofs never saw eye to eye anymore. A lot of people here are ignoring this part of the issue. The Maloofs hate Sacramento/KJ! They keep saying "we will never leave Sacramento, the fan support here is great" for the last couple of years now, it's obvious that they are liars! Scumbags! I can't believe they have the audacity to babble to the media and make themselves innocent. "we killed the sacramento deal because we didn't plan to pay $3m for predevelop fees so therefore kj/sacramento are cocksucking liars and not people to trust in deals herp derp!!1!"

Here are some snippets from last year:

Six weeks after the Sacramento Kings's owners and California's capital city reached a tentative financing plan for a new arena, city leaders and the Maloof family are publicly declaring their mistrust of each other, leaving the team's future in doubt.

The Maloof family is still insisting that it has no interest in leaving Sacramento, despite balking Friday at the terms of the funding framework. But they now say they no longer trust Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson and don't want to work with him.

"You can't do a deal with somebody you don't trust," George Maloof said Saturday, according to The Sacramento Bee. "I don't trust him."

"I don't think I'd want to negotiate with the mayor," Maloof told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday. "Maybe there's someone else that I'd feel more comfortable with.

Meanwhile, elected officials representing Sacramento have blasted the Maloofs, claiming they've turned their backs on the city late in the game

"As their bizarre press conference (on Friday in New York) laid bare for all to see, dealing with the Maloofs is like dealing with the North Koreans -- except they are less competent," Chris Lehane said in a statement released to USA Today. "In Maloof-world, facts are fiction; truths are half-truths; and promises are broken promises. The City of Sacramento deserves better."

"It just feels like they were coming up with reasons of why not to do the deal," Johnson said.

"Sacramento deserves partners who will live by their word," Steinberg said, according to The Sacramento Bee. "I hope the NBA and its owners do not allow this kind of bad behavior to occur without consequences."

"Once again, the Maloofs have turned their back on a deal and shown their contempt for Sacramento," Dickinson added, according to the report.

Even Stern (at the time) saw through Maloof BS and basically give them the bird:
Stern: League will not approve Kings move to Anaheim

Should the Maloofs file to relocate the franchise to another city, the NBA's Board of Governors would have to vote whether or not to allow a move.

"If there was a vote now, there would be no support for a move," Stern said. "And I believe the ownership that says they're planning to stay (in Sacramento).

And I leave this here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wcd4yNk1qc[/youtube]
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#348 » by VintaGe36 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 am

I'm confident in one thing though, there is little chance an expansion franchise is going to happen.

So there is going to be one spurned fanbase.

There are literally 3-4 teams vying for a Championship this year.

That's 23 teams with literally NO SHOT at a championship & 3-5ish teams with an outside shot.

I definitely see the argument for two rabid fanbases in good TV markets, but I'm sure David Stern would look at the overall product of the NBA as well.

There is hardly a surplus of talent around the NBA, and further diluting it, in an era where you need 2 Superstars to win is risky for your overall on-court product.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#349 » by bennith13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 am

Inigo_Montoya wrote:There is still a fully funded NBA endorsed arena deal in place.

I could be wrong, but didn't that call for the Maloofs to put in close to $200 million worth of either cash or assests in the form of land they owned to help fund the deal? If so, Sacramento local ownership would have to have close to a Billion dollars of net worth to fund the purchase of the team, fund the new arena, and cover every day expenses of running the franchise...
Inigo_Montoya
Pro Prospect
And1: 42

Post#350 » by Inigo_Montoya » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 am

bennith13 wrote:
Inigo_Montoya wrote:There is still a fully funded NBA endorsed arena deal in place.

I could be wrong, but didn't that call for the Maloofs to put in close to $200 million worth of either cash or assests in the form of land they owned to help fund the deal? If so, Sacramento local ownership would have to have close to a Billion dollars of net worth to fund the purchase of the team, fund the new arena, and cover every day expenses of running the franchise...

No, Sacramento was putting ~250 million toward the arena, AEG was contributing 70 million, and the NBA was going to loan the Maloofs about 70 million to put toward the arena. The NBA was also going to gift 7 million to the Maloofs for taking the deal.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#351 » by bennith13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 am

What about the part where the Maloofs were going to sell land they owned back to the city for something like $70 million to put towards the arena?
Inigo_Montoya
Pro Prospect
And1: 42

Post#352 » by Inigo_Montoya » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 am

bennith13 wrote:What about the part where the Maloofs were going to sell land they owned back to the city for something like $70 million to put towards the arena?

I'll have to double check but I don't recall anything like that. The city of Sacramento was going to sell some of its land to come up with part of the 250 mil. Maybe that was it? Or it might have been the 70 million that the Kings franchise still owes the city. That is unrelated to the arena deal though.

Oh, actually it might have been one of the Maloofs' excuses for backing out of the deal. One of the stipulations of the arena deal (the one negotiated by the NBA mind you) was that the Maloofs had to come up with collateral for the 70 million that they still owe the city. They thought that the 70 million dollar loan should be unsecured so that they could waltz out of town and screw the taxpayers if they wanted to.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#353 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 am

VintaGe36 wrote:I'm confident in one thing though, there is little chance an expansion franchise is going to happen.

There are literally 3-4 teams vying for a Championship this year.

That's 23 teams with literally NO SHOT at a championship & 3-5ish teams with an outside shot.

I definitely see the argument for two rabid fanbases in good TV markets, but I'm sure David Stern would look at the overall product of the NBA as well.

There is hardly a surplus of talent around the NBA, and further diluting it, in an era where you need 2 Superstars to win is risky for your overall on-court product.

I hardly think adding 13 players to 390+ already there, an increase of about 3-4%, is going to be the end of the world.

If this was expanding to an untested market that would be different. But its not. If Sacramento's investors come through you have two very established NBA markets, with billionaire owners in waiting, and shiny new arenas to be built. Turning your nose up at that as bad for business would pretty make you bad at business.

There is an inequity here, and you might as well balance it now while you have all the pawns you need all lined up. Owners, arena deals, willing local politicans, everything. If you don't no matter if Seattle gets shut back out, or Sacramento gets its team stolen, all you've done is pass this gaping chest wound on for another few years until whoever you spurned now tries to steal somebody else's team. And then that city tries to steal somebody else's team. And you just pass on a constant mess destroying fanbases of your game and pissing people off from Seattle to Sacto to Milwaulkee to Orlando or just wherever that bouncing ball keeps going. You're pretty much never going to have a better chance to patch up these holes and reestablish these franchises and fanbases in major media markets than you have right now, and for Stern of course it will be his last chance to fix things on his watch. Adding 1 new player for every 30 already in the league isn't much of a cost compared to adding multiple new billionaire ownership groups paying $1billion+ for the respective franchises, getting two new shiny arenas worth probably $600mil+ built, and probably guaranteeing yourselves years of sell outs at those areans.
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#354 » by HotRocks34 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm

VintaGe36 wrote:
I'm confident in one thing though, there is little chance an expansion franchise is going to happen.

This is how I feel as well. The talent in the NBA already seems quite diluted. I doubt that Stern or his associates want to exacerbate the issue.
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid, including a 2nd-round game on the road
mct
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#355 » by mct » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:
VintaGe36 wrote:

This is how I feel as well. The talent in the NBA already seems quite diluted. I doubt that Stern or his associates want to exacerbate the issue.

The Jazz could split into two equally talented teams.
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#356 » by HotRocks34 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:47 pm

mct wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
VintaGe36 wrote:

The Jazz could split into two equally talented teams.

Or the Clippers. :)

Return to The General Board