Did Dwightmare 2013 Trade Deadline Edition Just Begin?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Will Dwight be Traded?

Yes
43%
No, and he stays with the Lakers
27%
No, and he signs with another team
31%

Total votes: 167

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Re: Did Dwightmare 2013 Trade Deadline Edition Just Begin? 

Post#121 » by DarkXaero » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:
GetItDone wrote:I don't really see any team having the assets except the Nets w/ Lopez.

Nobody is touching Lopez with a 15ft pole. Granted he's playing we'll this season, his foot is still a concern along with his outrageous contract. Think about it, is LA going to blow their 2014 plans for Brook Lopez?
Well, he is playing better than Dwight this season and while Brook's foot certainly hasn't affected his play this season, Dwight's back has affected Dwight's play. So really, which is the bigger red flag?

These are the same reasons why many Nets fans are unsure what to think of the entire situation. And what's outrageous about Brook's contract when he has been living up to it?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,370

Post#122 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:02 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:
GetItDone wrote:I don't really see any team having the assets except the Nets w/ Lopez.

Nobody is touching Lopez with a 15ft pole. Granted he's playing we'll this season, his foot is still a concern along with his outrageous contract. Think about it, is LA going to blow their 2014 plans for Brook Lopez?

This is all straight laughable. And for the last sentence, ever hear of a 3 or 4 team trade?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#123 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:

How is having two contracts for a total of $25m blowing your 2014 plan? And it's not as though Nash couldn't be moved or stretch amnestied. Otherwise that's all of $15m on your cap.

Nash
LBJ
Love
Lopez

Could be doable.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#124 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:11 pm

What did Skaterdude say?
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#125 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:11 pm

I guess.

What are you trying to paint or portray with this link drop?

That agents and players are slime balls?

That agents jobs are to try and maneuver their clients into the most lucrative situations and locations and that a lot of behind the scenes shadiness goes on?

That Dwight to Brooklyn was the plan all along?

That Dwight is wishy washy and botched it up?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#126 » by Cigamodnalro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

I guess.

That agents jobs are to try and maneuver their clients into the most lucrative situations and locations and that a lot of behind the scenes shadiness goes on?

That the Brooklyn-Dwight connection still very much exists, and that if Brooklyn can trade for Dwight it almost certainly will. I don't believe for a second that when B. King allegedly promised Brook Lopez that he wouldn't be traded that he actually meant it.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#127 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

I guess.

That the Brooklyn-Dwight connection still very much exists, and that if Brooklyn can trade for Dwight it almost certainly will. I don't believe for a second that when B. King allegedly promised Brook Lopez that he wouldn't be traded that he actually meant it.

Very true, I agree. My fault, I'm just used to most Orlando fans angling with any type of post like that.

Billy has never actually promised he wouldn't trade Lopez though. Not sure where you got that from. If you actually look at Billy's quotes from after Dwight being traded to the Lakers, there was some super obvious read between the lines tongue in cheek humor and matter of factness. Billy said, "Well now Brook and those guys don't have to worry about trade rumors until January 15th." I am almost directly paraphrasing that.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#128 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:What did Skaterdude say?

Skaterdude laughed at the notion that the Lakers lose and can go out and get a guy like Steve Nash OR Dwight Howard. After the Lakers got both, someone sigged him. Now that the Lakers are losing so bad, he is taking credit for some reverse jinx thing that he never intended to begin with. He is having fun with it, as are others.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#129 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:

King never promised that... in fact Lopez could have prevented any trades this season if signed an offer sheet with Charlotte. However, BK offered him max raises (4/60 vs. 4/58 I think) so he didn't and in effect keeping the door open for trades.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#130 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Dwight Howard apologizes, says he needs to stop complaining

In an almost-empty locker room, Dwight Howard took accountability.

The Lakers center apologized for complaining about not getting enough touches and promised to improve his demeanor on the NBA's most underperforming team this season.

"It starts with me," he said Wednesday after the Lakers' morning shoot-around. "I have to be more of a player out there on the court and not worry about anything, not complain. Just do what I do best."

Howard was not happy after getting only five shots in the Lakers' 95-83 loss Monday to Chicago. He kept telling reporters to "look at the stat sheet" after the game.

"That was immature," he said Wednesday. "I shouldn't have done it.

"I've just got to go out there and dominate defensively and make it tough for teams. I just have to get back to doing that and not worry about the offense."

Some Lakers fans think Howard should be traded before the Feb. 21 deadline. He becomes a free agent July 1.

"I understand why they're saying that because they feel like I have an opportunity to just walk away," Howard said. "That is my choice at the end of the season but right now my focus is tonight and us doing something real special in L.A. We have that opportunity and we can't close the door on the opportunity that we have in front of us. We can turn this thing around."

Howard, however, would not commit to a future with the Lakers.

"We're not discussing that," he said. "Right now, our goal is to win. All I want to do is win. I have to put all my energy into winning and sacrifice whatever I have to do and humble myself."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... ntent=ESPN
Blame Turk
Senior
And1: 0

Post#131 » by Blame Turk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm

People used to say Dwight made everyone around him better. From what I see in Lakerland, now it is obvious that it was Hedo that made him look better lol :) He looks like a steroid-pumped Jason Collins with much more alimony to pay. Nobody should blame Kobe for this bc. Kobe can shoot better than Dwight while eyes closed from 3 point line then DH does from 3 feet.
"I certainly can't have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we've seen in this world lately, don't really tolerate other people's opinions or free speech or anything."
Stan the Magnificent
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#132 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:

The Lakers center apologized for complaining about not getting enough touches and promised to improve his demeanor on the NBA's most underperforming team this season.

"It starts with me," he said Wednesday after the Lakers' morning shoot-around. "I have to be more of a player out there on the court and not worry about anything, not complain. Just do what I do best."

Howard was not happy after getting only five shots in the Lakers' 95-83 loss Monday to Chicago. He kept telling reporters to "look at the stat sheet" after the game.

"I've just got to go out there and dominate defensively and make it tough for teams. I just have to get back to doing that and not worry about the offense."

Some Lakers fans think Howard should be traded before the Feb. 21 deadline. He becomes a free agent July 1.

"I understand why they're saying that because they feel like I have an opportunity to just walk away," Howard said. "That is my choice at the end of the season but right now my focus is tonight and us doing something real special in L.A. We have that opportunity and we can't close the door on the opportunity that we have in front of us. We can turn this thing around."

Howard, however, would not commit to a future with the Lakers.

"We're not discussing that," he said. "Right now, our goal is to win. All I want to do is win. I have to put all my energy into winning and sacrifice whatever I have to do and humble myself."

You could have subbed in Orlando or Magic for every time the word Lakers or L.A. appears in that article and it's like a word for word carbon copy of every interview last season.

Crazy, never thought it was going to be like this in La La land.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#133 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:

The Magic center apologized for complaining about not getting enough touches and promised to improve his demeanor on the NBA's most underperforming team this season.

"It starts with me," he said Wednesday after the Magic's morning shoot-around. "I have to be more of a player out there on the court and not worry about anything, not complain. Just do what I do best."

Howard was not happy after getting only five shots in the Magic's 95-83 loss Monday to Chicago. He kept telling reporters to "look at the stat sheet" after the game.

Some Magic fans think Howard should be traded before the Feb. 21 deadline. He becomes a free agent July 1.

"I understand why they're saying that because they feel like I have an opportunity to just walk away," Howard said. "That is my choice at the end of the season but right now my focus is tonight and us doing something real special in Orlando. We have that opportunity and we can't close the door on the opportunity that we have in front of us. We can turn this thing around."

Howard, however, would not commit to a future with the Magic.

In fact, let's give it a whirl!
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#134 » by Cigamodnalro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Cigamodnalro wrote:

King never promised that... in fact Lopez could have prevented any trades this season if signed an offer sheet with Charlotte. However, BK offered him max raises (4/60 vs. 4/58 I think) so he didn't and in effect keeping the door open for trades.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.1245504

According to multiple team sources, the Nets have not engaged in trade talks for Howard and remain skeptical the Lakers will deal their center by next month’s deadline. They’ve also talked privately with Lopez about the circumstances, reassuring him that he’s not involved in any trade proposals after he signed a four-year, $61 million deal.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#135 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm not sure how you equate that with a direct quote from Billy King.

Seems pretty apropo to keep things rolling on the court.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#136 » by Cigamodnalro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm not sure how you equate that with a direct quote from Billy King.

Yeah, may well be. I'm not sure who would make him that assurance other than the GM, but again, that's why I used "allegedly."
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#137 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm not sure how you equate that with a direct quote from Billy King.

Yeah, may well be. I'm not sure who would make him that assurance other than the GM, but again, that's why I used "allegedly."

It's not who made him the assurance, but who are these sources that we can say the assurance was ever made?

And maybe it wasn't so concrete if it did happen, or more like a pep talk... "Don't worry about the trade rumors, you're our guy. We love you here, love the improvement you've shown. You're such a big piece and so important to what we've been accomplishing. We see you here for awhile."
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#138 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 pm

If history tells you anything, the Lakers trade away the old guys when there is discord. Not the young star that will win an NBA title.

Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Metta & Jamison will be traded before Dwight. It's crazy. It is business and the Lakers are good at the business of basketball.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#139 » by Frank Mulely » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm

a direct Lopez for Dwight swap would be really humorous.
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#140 » by PetroNet » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 pm

TwentyOne920 wrote:Brook Lopez in Brooklyn > Dwight Howard in Brooklyn. Yes, Howard's a better defender but the offense falters, and they're breaking the nascent chemistry the team has built.

i completely agree. i want no part of a Bropez for howard trade. our interior offense will be non exsistant, we will become even more iso driven, and howards back and maturity and enormous concerns moving forward. if he couldnt handle orlando or LA no way in hell he handles NY.

id rather use hump/brooks/draft picks and make a small move for a decent PF

Return to The General Board