ImageImage

What Do You Want To Happen With Ellis?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Your Preference on What Happens With Monta Ellis

He is traded by the 12-13 deadline in a win now playoff move
21%
He is traded by the 12-13 deadline for the best possible young asset (pick and/or player)
64%
He is kept past the deadline if the team has a chance at playoffs, and opts out for 13-14
6%
He is kept past the deadline if the team has a chance at playoffs, and opts in for 13-14
5%
He is kept, opts in for 13-14 and is extended as our long-term SG this summer
4%

Total votes: 131

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Re: What Do You Want To Happen With Ellis? 

Post#301 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 pm

The next 30 days will tell us also if Hammond or Kohl are running things. And how emotional Kohl gets should the team start to win consistently and look like a 48 game winner.

If the team is going well, I could see them keeping Monta and then figuring they would use his cap space in the summer to overpay a guy like Mayo or Redick. Or signing him to an extension.

As I said in the other thread, we just have no clue what his real value around the league is. Can he be the central piece to a Bledose trade? Or Iggy? Or is the best he brings in a Jeff Green?

I wouldn't pretend to be confident in my answer either way. Again John Salmons got moved for the equivalent of a first in the 15-22 range, a better player and 10 million of salary relief.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#302 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't add salary unless it's a long-term impact guy coming our way, which I can't see. I'd really like to turn him into a pick or prospect, but as others have said, I just have no idea what his trade value is. I think as long as the offers aren't junk you have to extract value though. The guy isn't opting in.
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#303 » by Fight the Tank » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:40 pm

I suppose for the Eric Bledsoe fans you could do an Ellis for Bledsoe/Caron Butler trade.

Bledsoe hasn't looked very good lately when getting starters minutes though.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#304 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 pm

If we can get Bledsoe for Monta (don't think we can) that's no brainer.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#305 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 pm

LUKE23 wrote:If we can get Bledsoe for Monta (don't think we can) that's no brainer.

I'd put more assets into the pot to get that type of thing done.

But this is the question? Does he draw interest for a Bledsoe or a Mayo or Afflalo?

Just no idea how far off we might be on this.

As you read some writers, they still buy into the swag. Perhaps our front office does as well, and the guys I listed above don't make sense to them. Would be stunning. But wouldn't surprise me.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#306 » by averageposter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:The next 30 days will tell us also if Hammond or Kohl are running things. And how emotional Kohl gets should the team start to win consistently and look like a 48 game winner.

If the team is going well, I could see them keeping Monta and then figuring they would use his cap space in the summer to overpay a guy like Mayo or Redick. Or signing him to an extension.

As I said in the other thread, we just have no clue what his real value around the league is. Can he be the central piece to a Bledose trade? Or Iggy? Or is the best he brings in a Jeff Green?

I wouldn't pretend to be confident in my answer either way. Again John Salmons got moved for the equivalent of a first in the 15-22 range, a better player and 10 million of salary relief.

This deadline will be interesting. Years past there has always been something, be it a rumor, a fellow posters idea, some media blurb about a deal or a player I really hoped would come to pass. This year despite seemingly being in a better place to make a deal both from our own assets and the record of the team being say more relevant, I'm kind of stuck finding one thing I think should happen. Maybe that is a function of becoming much happier with the young guys that are here now.

Monta is really the only guy I think we have no idea how to manage, is he opting in, will he walk, and what his relative value is in both cases is a mystery. Can you find a deal shipping Monta that provides the more efficient 2 that has enough talent or is in the age range to be part our growing core and a relatively big part? I kind of doubt it but its as close to ideal as I can get. Not sure I have seen that deal anywhere yet.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#307 » by mlloyd10 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 pm

BuckPack???
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#308 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Yeah, I wish I knew what is being offered for Monta --- if anything. Some articles say he has value, some don't know, and every one is speculative it seems.

My gut feeling is the Bucks are keep Ellis and the board is going to meltdown.
RickInCali
Junior
And1: 1

Post#309 » by RickInCali » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm

N8Frog wrote:Yeah, I wish I knew what is being offered for Monta --- if anything. Some articles say he has value, some don't know, and every one is speculative it seems.

My gut feeling is the Bucks are keep Ellis and the board is going to meltdown.

I have stayed with the thought that there was no way the GM was going to have the Bogut trade turn into Udoh and cap space. Now that he has a 3-year extension, will he have the stones to dare Ellis to opt out (he will opt out because there are no 2's coming up except Mayo and Evans)? That is a horrific gamble to me. I say a 3-way deal with the Kings and Portland.
We all need hope, but hope is not a plan.
RandyBreuer
Sixth Man
And1: 174
Location: hoistin' 3s like Delfino, pimpin' 4 recruits like Pitino

Post#310 » by RandyBreuer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Good god, Could the 4 people voting to extend him long term be trolls from other boards?
Drugbust wrote
"Sorry if my opinion offended your delicate sensibilities"

In Horst we trust.
cellomac1212
Assistant Coach
And1: 53

Post#311 » by cellomac1212 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 am

RandyBreuer wrote:Good god, Could the 4 people voting to extend him long term be trolls from other boards?

I would love for him to succeed with the Bucks, but considering Millwaukee hates him and his style of play, I would like to see what he could do in a large market environment with better players then himself. I'm still not sold anyone on the Bucks is better then him, but I think Aussie Buck said he isn't even a top 5 player on the Bucks. Our perception of him is completely 100% different and I don't think this fan base even wants him to shine here. And regardless of RealGM and the perception on the Warriors board being GSW fans hated Monta, just going to the games and living in the Bay Area would have shown you he was a fan favorite there... Basically, I'm not one of the "trolls" voting for an extension... I just want to see him in the playoffs this year no matter what happens.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#312 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:18 am

I still vote for the shoot him out of a cannon option.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#313 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I still vote for the shoot him out of a cannon option.

I was just about to repost that. :lol: :lol:
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#314 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:31 pm

cellomac1212 wrote:
RandyBreuer wrote:Good god, Could the 4 people voting to extend him long term be trolls from other boards?

I would love for him to succeed with the Bucks, but considering Millwaukee hates him and his style of play, I would like to see what he could do in a large market environment with better players then himself. I'm still not sold anyone on the Bucks is better then him, but I think Aussie Buck said he isn't even a top 5 player on the Bucks. Our perception of him is completely 100% different and I don't think this fan base even wants him to shine here. And regardless of RealGM and the perception on the Warriors board being GSW fans hated Monta, just going to the games and living in the Bay Area would have shown you he was a fan favorite there... Basically, I'm not one of the "trolls" voting for an extension... I just want to see him in the playoffs this year no matter what happens.

ellis is only "hated" on this board where a few guys steer the conversation. he hasnt been awesome but id still be willing to extend him if the team kicks ass the rest of the year. hes pretty good at just about every facet of the game of basketball besides shot selection. thats a player i can live with as long as the team is successful with it..... and he doesnt demand idiotic amounts of money for it.
vlietinho
Veteran
And1: 480

Post#315 » by vlietinho » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 pm

:wave:

I kinda like the guy, and he got it all so that's a plus.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#316 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:53 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
ellis is only "hated" on this board where a few guys steer the conversation. he hasnt been awesome but id still be willing to extend him if the team kicks ass the rest of the year. hes pretty good at just about every facet of the game of basketball besides shot selection. thats a player i can live with as long as the team is successful with it..... and he doesnt demand idiotic amounts of money for it.

He shouldn't be extended under any scenario.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#317 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 pm

cellomac1212 wrote:

I don't think Milwaukee hates Monta. I think a good portion of this forum doesn't like his game and fit with the team, but that's really a small portion of the fan base. It's not like when Monta is announced that he is getting booed, in fact him and Jennings get the largest ovation generally. And when Drew Gooden comes to the scorers table. :)

My take on Monta is I think he is a gifted player, but flawed. I don't dislike the guy, in fact I enjoy watching him play when he plays in control. He is has a gear/burst that I haven't seen here in awhile. At times he just glides to the rim and has excellent spring in his legs. The problem is he takes ill advised long 2 point shots and turns it over often. He does have the ability to get hot and hit jumpers, but its not often. His game is getting to the rim and transition. Defensively, for his size, he holds his own, but isn't going to be considered for any defensive accolodates.

Ideally I would love to see him finish the year and see where we can go. I don't think from a talent standpoint we're going to upgrade the position in a trade. But my concern is if you keep him, you're basically either letting him go or commiting to an extension. I'm not interested in an extension b/c he's 28 and once he starts losing that burst his game is really going to fall off. And I don't think you can just let him walk for nothing. He is an asset and you got rid of an asset (Bogut) to get him, you need to parlay that into something.

If Hammond thinks he will opt in, then fine keep him, because then you have the option of trading him next offseason/deadline. Basically buying yourself time. But I just don't feel he is going to opt in. Some team will give him a 3 or 4 year deal that is lucurative.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,739

Post#318 » by Treebeard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Monta does have value as a player and as an asset. He is often very exciting/maddening to watch. I'm definitely in the camp, where I think his best fit is somewhere else.

His contract will have great impact on the Bucks future, no matter how this plays out. I do not see him as a long term solution here, so I would much prefer that the Bucks move him now for picks/prospects.

Better to trade him too soon, than too late. Mr Hammond, time to earn your extended contract.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 943

Post#319 » by Lippo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

#4 for me
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#320 » by SkilesTheLimit » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Don't understand how the Bucks could keep Ellis past the deadline only to lose him for NOTHING this off-season.

It makes absolutely no sense to keep him unless the Bucks true intentions are to try and lock up Swag backcourt long-term.

Or can Herb and Co. truly be that short-sighted to think "hey we're in the playoffs right now, let's keep this thing in tact and worry about the roster in the off-season."
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd

Return to Milwaukee Bucks