ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Sign Martell Webster

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#201 » by AFM » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Dude is a pretty decent shooter, can drive, is aggressive and makes smart cuts. Plays great with Nene passing out of the post. Plays hard and truly cares about winning. What's not to like?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#202 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:15 pm

AFM wrote:Dude is a pretty decent shooter, can drive, is aggressive and makes smart cuts. Plays great with Nene passing out of the post. Plays hard and truly cares about winning. What's not to like?

Webster scores only 14.7 pts per 40 minutes compared to 17.2 for rookie Beal (who struggled badly his first two months). People notice his big games but don't pay attention to all the games where he is a non-factor offensively.

He is also below average on the boards.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Post#203 » by dobrojim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:09 pm

IDK if the data backs me up but it seems like when he's not a factor
offensively, he's usually NOT a major detractor either...doesn't force a lot
of shots. I guess if that were true, his OEff would be better.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#204 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 pm

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... tma02.html

If he can keep this up, this could be his best year ever.

He does seem to disappear some games, but that may be a factor of none established line up such that everyone knows each other and what they are trying to do first, second and third.

Crawford is a great example. He has been moved all over the place. Since returning from injury, he was asked to play off the ball and only got 17 and 16 minutes. He looked a little lost. Then they gave him the ball on an isolation ... which he needs to get his game going... and all the sudden, Big Balls was back.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... ll-webster

Seems Martell is in a similar boat. Is he a 3, 5, 7 shot player or a 10-12 shot player. Knowing that going into a game helps you mentally prepare for what is expected of you. If they give him minutes and shots, he can average 14-15 pts a game on decent shooting and TS% and eFG% given his 3 ball and FT shooting %
AFM
General Manager

Post#205 » by AFM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:29 am

tontoz wrote:
AFM wrote:Dude is a pretty decent shooter, can drive, is aggressive and makes smart cuts. Plays great with Nene passing out of the post. Plays hard and truly cares about winning. What's not to like?

Webster scores only 14.7 pts per 40 minutes compared to 17.2 for rookie Beal (who struggled badly his first two months). People notice his big games but don't pay attention to all the games where he is a non-factor offensively.

Wow. Talk about cherry picking stats. Webster shoots 7 times a game compared to Beal's 12.5.
He also shoots the 3 at 40%.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#206 » by Upper Decker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:49 am

AFM wrote:
tontoz wrote:

Wow. Talk about cherry picking stats. Webster shoots 7 times a game compared to Beal's 12.5.
He also shoots the 3 at 40%.

I agree with Tontoz to a degree. Webster has semi-regularly been a non-factor offensively and I think his defense is overrated. I still can't believe he let John freakin Salmons put up 21 points--not only that, but a wide open 3 with a minute to go! W/E though becuase he's on the minimum. You can expect that type of play from a minimum guy so I'm not going to complain.

I think Nate has his value pegged right. I wouldn't mind a 3M per year deal. Not only that, but who's going to go after Webster? The league is loaded with SF's and Webster has a role that suits him best, and he gets valuable minutes for the Wiz. I doubt he can get assurances of that anywhere else.
AFM
General Manager

Post#207 » by AFM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 am

He's certainly much better than any other minimum guy we've had--cartier martin, roger mason, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wants to stay here since we give him regular minutes.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#208 » by tontoz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 am

The Wizards need points and much of the time Webster doesn't deliver. Chenier is constantly talking about Webster needing to be more aggressive. He mentions it pretty much every game. Websters career high scoring rate is below Beal's current rate.

The Wizards are last in the league in offense by a mile. They need scoring.

What is Websters value other than scoring? He is ok in assists and D, below average on the boards. A scorer who doesnt score much is not that valuable.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#209 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 am

It'd be nice to see him have a couple big games in a row - rather than occasional streaks of 1. He's definitely a nice addition, but I wouldn't be at all upset if the Wiz signed Mike Dunleavy, Jr to take his place next season at roughly the same price (though Dunleavy is getting up in age) it'll take to re-sign Webster.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#210 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 am

You sign a guy because of what he does -- not because of what he doesn't do. Webster is a pretty efficient player so far this season. He does enough that at the right price it'd be a no brainer to keep him around for a couple or three years. And he'll be available for the right price too -- just because of the "only scoring counts" prejudice that affects GMs as much as anyone else.

Other than guys on rookie contracts there are only a few examples of players who are as big a bargain at the 3 as Martell. Matt Barnes is probably the biggest bargain in the league, for example.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#211 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 am

Ruzious wrote:...I wouldn't be at all upset if the Wiz signed Mike Dunleavy, Jr to take his place next season at roughly the same price (though Dunleavy is getting up in age) it'll take to re-sign Webster.

Well, yeah. Dunleavy is a better player than Webster! A lot better.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager

Post#212 » by AFM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:26 am

tontoz wrote:The Wizards need points and much of the time Webster doesn't deliver. Chenier is constantly talking about Webster needing to be more aggressive. He mentions it pretty much every game. Websters career high scoring rate is below Beal's current rate.

The Wizards are last in the league in offense by a mile. They need scoring.

What is Websters value other than scoring? He is ok in assists and D, below average on the boards. A scorer who doesnt score much is not that valuable.

You are completely disregarding efficiency and just looking at total points.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#213 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 am

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:...I wouldn't be at all upset if the Wiz signed Mike Dunleavy, Jr to take his place next season at roughly the same price (though Dunleavy is getting up in age) it'll take to re-sign Webster.

Well, yeah. Dunleavy is a better player than Webster! A lot better.

So,.. you think Dunleavy will cost significantly more?

Or were you agreeing with me while trying to sound annoying?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#214 » by DCZards » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 am

I'd take webster over dunleavy. And hasn't dunleavy been injured more that Martell?
tontoz
RealGM

Post#215 » by tontoz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 am

AFM wrote:You are completely disregarding efficiency and just looking at total points.

From earlier today;

tontoz wrote:His scoring efficiency has been really good this season but his scoring rate has been a little weak as has been his rebounding. I think he would be a better fit on a team that already has established 1st and 2nd options.

I am looking at everything, not just the one thing he has done well.
AFM
General Manager

Post#216 » by AFM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:36 am

tontoz ARGHGHH!!!! :)
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#217 » by jivelikenice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:06 am

Webster....what is up with his late game decision making. Its becoming a pattern with him.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#218 » by TGW » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:49 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Webster....what is up with his late game decision making. Its becoming a pattern with him.

He is known as a low-IQ player--Blazers and Wolves fan would complain about the same issues we're griping about now.

He's not a bad player...he's just not good (whatever that means). He's inconsistent, and not a well-rounded player. Unfortunately, he'd be a lot better coming off the bench, but he's forced into being a starter because of we don't have anyone better at that position.

This, yet again, goes back to the FO. They have consistently failed to improve our forward positions...we literally have the worst rotation of forwards in the league and it's the reason we lose so many games. We're having to force bench players like Booker, Singleton, and Webster into starting roles where they are overmatched every night.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#219 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Meh, I wouldn't be so harsh on Webster. He's a solid player, just... limited. You don't want him making decisions. You want him shooting corner 3's and making back door cuts. He does those things really well, while playing at least average defense at the other end. He has really molded his game to be an ideal role player. He only has trouble when he is asked to step out of that role.
AFM
General Manager

Post#220 » by AFM » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm

nate33 wrote:Meh, I wouldn't be so harsh on Webster. He's a solid player, just... limited. You don't want him making decisions. You want him shooting corner 3's and making back door cuts. He does those things really well, while playing at least average defense at the other end. He has really molded his game to be an ideal role player. He only has trouble when he is asked to step out of that role.

:clap:

Return to Washington Wizards