Would you want the Jazz to bid for Dwight?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Would you want the Jazz to bid for Dwight? 

Post#1 » by carrottop12 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:48 am

Lakers are obviously in trouble, and aren't going to make the playoffs this year. With what seems like a frustrated Lakers roster and franchise, there are rumors all over that Dwight might be available. It seems unlikely to me, but being a UFA at the end of the season, the Lakers may try to rebuild for the future, even if it means giving up on Dwight right now.

So, hypothetically, what would you give up for Dwight, not knowing if he will resign in the off season, but knowing that he would be the legit C in the middle that could help the Jazz make a good playoff run.

Obviously, the Lakers are going to ask for the world for Dwight, the Jazz would likely have to offer two of our young 4, a vet, and our 2 draft picks.

Would you explore Kanter, Burks, Millsap, and two picks for Dwight?

Mo/Tinsley/Watson
Foye/Hayward
Marvin/Carroll
Al/Evans
Dwight/Favors

Seems like a lot to me, probably more than the Jazz can reasonably offer, what do you think?
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Re: Would you want the Jazz to bid for Dwight? 

Post#2 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:26 am

I wouldn't touch him, honestly. Too much drama and very little chance of him re-signing.
Litany
Assistant Coach
And1: 816

Post#3 » by Litany » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 am

Bat wrote:Lakers are obviously in trouble, and aren't going to make the playoffs this year. With what seems like a frustrated Lakers roster and franchise, there are rumors all over that Dwight might be available. It seems unlikely to me, but being a UFA at the end of the season, the Lakers may try to rebuild for the future, even if it means giving up on Dwight right now.

So, hypothetically, what would you give up for Dwight, not knowing if he will resign in the off season, but knowing that he would be the legit C in the middle that could help the Jazz make a good playoff run.

Obviously, the Lakers are going to ask for the world for Dwight, the Jazz would likely have to offer two of our young 4, a vet, and our 2 draft picks.

Would you explore Kanter, Burks, Millsap, and two picks for Dwight?

Mo/Tinsley/Watson
Foye/Hayward
Marvin/Carroll
Al/Evans
Dwight/Favors

Seems like a lot to me, probably more than the Jazz can reasonably offer, what do you think?

No way.

Would never happen. Remember what got us those assets in the first place? That's basically the same trade we made for DWill and we go and get back in that situation? No thanks. He'd leave as a FA.

Jazz should get in on the Pau bidding though IMO. Millsap and Marvin for Pau.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#4 » by Luigi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 am

If you could get Dwight to stick around, I'd throw everything we have at him.

But he's staying in a big market. I think he'll get a new coach in LA, then be happy there.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#5 » by Ming Kong! » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:27 am

Dwight is a little drama queen, no way would he want to stay, no way I give up valuables for him. If we could win RIGHT NOW, sure, but we wont.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Post#6 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 am

i'm not in favor of trading for players and giving away assets for a short run. the exception would be if it gives us a legit chance at a championship, which it doesn't.

now, if we are talking about trading for him under the condition of him re-signing, that's a different story.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Tubal
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#7 » by Tubal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Never in a million years would I want Dwight anywhere near the Jazz.
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#8 » by kebutah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Love his talent but hate his drama. Let him be somebody else's headache.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#9 » by FJS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:40 pm

I don't think he give us nothing we can't get for Favors.
The guy only dunks if he is near the basket, it's a terrible FT shooter, he is not defending as well as he should, and seems he is not 100% healthy. He is not Howard's Magic anymore.
Neon Black
Starter
And1: 19

Post#10 » by Neon Black » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:23 pm

It seems like we're all on the same page...

Dwight has always operated off the paradigm that everything is someone else's fault. He never asks what he can do or how he can change to help his team. He got Van Gundy fired - a solid coach. He's now complaining about D'Antoni to teammates and bickering with Kobe as well.

The guy will always have a problem, no matter what situation he's in. He's part of the slew of players that are caught up in the pretense of being an NBA superstar while disregarding the whole hard work thing - which applies as much to relationships as it does to improving your game. He's all about self-assigned nicknames, highlight reels, video games and clichés. It's all about image and all this superficial bull**** for some of these guys. Dwight is as much of a whiny, self-entitled diva as anyone in the league.

Criticize the Jazz all you want for valuing hard work, a level of humility, and that "old-school" attitude. I think we have that in Favors, Kanter, Hayward and probably Burks. Favors has already shown a desire to improve his free-throw game...Howard never has.

We don't want him, we don't need him. Let him cause drama with Deron in NJ.
Ziploc
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Ziploc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Never would happen, we will never get a super star again unless built up from the draft, let me explain.

The front office has no reason to spend money on any sort of player, you know why? Because we are all lambs, always contently buying tickets, it doesn't matter who is on the team, if the team sucks, or if we hate the team even. We as Utah Jazz fans will always buy tickets.

So why would they spend a huge amount of money on a player like Dwight and still sell just the same amount of tickets? It is not economically viable for Jazz owners to make this team into anything.

We are all suckers, if we want a good Jazz team, we need to stop supporting them until they get components that can make us want to pay money to see.

Simple.
Cappsy11
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#12 » by Cappsy11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

I am seen some silly things posted in this forum but that is one of them .. sorry

No way would i want D-Howard on our team. the Lakers dont even want him on there team.
This bloke is a sook and very immature. He also must be be very stupid as well. When did he think he would realise that his touches were going to decrease being on a kobe & nash team. Idiot.

For someone with so much potential ... but question his thought process and general toughness as clearly shown with the way he ended it with Orlando .... you do not trade for this guy..
I would rather MWP than him
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#13 » by edfmx86 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 pm

I know lots of people dream of having star players on their teams. I know that I'm one of them....but there is no way in hell I'd want anything to do with this clown. He's more of a headache than he's worth. I'll pass, I'd rather keep my faith in Favors being that superstar on our team.
falcon107
Junior
And1: 20

Post#14 » by falcon107 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:34 am

Dwight for sure is a very good player. But just that. Without shooting FTs, he can easily turn into a liability at the 4th Quarter, and therefore he is not a go to guy for the last period. So that means he is not a franchise player. But he can still be a good piece for any team.

But he seems not understanding this, this is one thing, and the other thing is he talks too much about what he believes. And maybe this is the worst part of him.

And for Jazz, which no way short of big men, Dwight is not option, even Jazz is somehow short of big men, still Utah would not want Dwight and vice versa.
countrybama24
Rookie
And1: 25

Post#15 » by countrybama24 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Dwight would be great for the Jazz.... if he tried. No way he resigns here and he'll just pout the entire time anyways. No thanks.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#16 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Hypothetically:

If we were to trade away Millsap and Al Jeff for Dwight I would be on board. I like a 3 man rotation of Favors, Howard, and Kanter. Dwight would get plenty of touches and Horny could help him with his free throw, that is why he is there. Plus we would have the best defensive front court in the league and on offense every team would have a mismatch with those three.
Ingles is cooked.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#17 » by erudite23 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:51 pm

I'd do the deal with Jefferson instead of Millsap. I would do that exact deal in a heartbeat. Dwight Howard, whatever his drama, is a once in a generation talent. He's special. I'll take that tradeoff.

And anything is better than this awful, running-in-place sensation I've had for the last two years. I hate mediocrity, and with our unwillingness to let the young guys sink or swim, I 'll take this deal. Whatever his healthy, Dwight would make us a much better team THIS SEASON, and if he leaves, at least we would suck enough to earn a high draft pick in next year's loaded draft class.

If it works out, and he stays....you have a decade worth of contention as long as your FO is competent enough to build a solid cast around him. I'll take that deal every time.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#18 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:09 am

His FT shooting would piss me off too bad... I would say no

Return to Utah Jazz