Adelman Update

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Adelman Update 

Post#1 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Since this was discussed in the beginning of this thread...

Timberwolves PR ‏@Twolves_PR
#Twolves head coach Rick Adelman has missed the team's last two games to be with his wife, Mary Kay, who has been in the hospital.

Timberwolves PR ‏@Twolves_PR
#Twolves Rick Adelman's status for his return to coaching the team remains day-by-day, and he will return as soon as he is able.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Re: Adelman Update 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Deserves its own thread.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#3 » by Narf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:05 pm

God bless Mr and Mrs Adelman
Here's hoping everything is ok
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#4 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Narf wrote:God bless Mr and Mrs Adelman
Here's hoping everything is ok

Amen.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#5 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 pm

If she got seriously ill I definitely can see him stepping away to stay with her.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#6 » by Basti » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Take all the time you need, Rick. There's more to life than basketball.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:15 pm

• It's still unclear what's wrong with Adelman's wife, Mary Kay. A team source said Adelman is not expected to coach in Saturday's home game against Houston or in Monday afternoon's road game at Atlanta. His status beyond that is unknown.

http://www.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=6537
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 am

There was a feature story in the Houston Chronicle on Rick Adelman in September 2007, before he started his tenure as the coach of the Rockets. Jonathan Fiegen's lead read:

"To Rick Adelman, it has always been about basketball and family.

"Basketball is family. Family is basketball."

It is not a surprise that when a choice was forced on Adelman earlier this month, family won in a layup.

Smiling is not an Adelman strong point. Yet, regulars at Target Center have noticed that Adelman -- now the Timberwolves coach -- could be relied on for a full-blown grin before tipoff, when he would find his wife, Mary Kay, in the crowd and give a wave.

"When he was in Houston, I remember seeing Rick and his wife walking in the corridor, holding hands," a Timberwolves employee said. "She means everything to him."

Mary Kay fell ill and was hospitalized in the Twin Cities on Jan. 7. Adelman has been with her since. He missed his ninth consecutive game Wednesday night when the Wolves played Brooklyn at Target Center.

The Adelmans have been very protective of information on Mary Kay's condition. R.J. Adelman, a member of his father's coaching staff, declined a request for an interview-- not about specifics of his mother's illness, but to answer background questions on his parents' relationship.

There are six children: Kathy, Laura, Caitlin, R.J., David and Patrick. The Adelmans adopted Caitlin and Patrick in 1993 when Rick's sister-in-law died in a car accident.

That tells you about the importance of family. So does the fact Adelman has met with his team once -- before a practice at Target Center -- in the 16 days since Mary Kay was hospitalized.

"It's hard to replace his wisdom as a coach, but this is more important," guard Luke Ridnour said. "To see what he's doing, what he is as a family man ... you have even more respect for him."

What has it meant not to have Adelman to prepare the team and to make in-game decisions?

"He's a Hall of Fame coach," Ridnour said. "Fortunately, he put together such a good coaching staff, that we're still OK there. The coaches are doing a good job for us."

Dante Cunningham is in his first season with the Wolves after traveling through Portland, Charlotte and Memphis in his three previous seasons.

The expectation of many when Cunningham arrived was that he would play behind both Kevin Love and Derrick Williams, the No. 2 overall draftee in 2011, at power forward.

When Love was hurt in the preseason, Adelman went with what he saw on the court and gave heavier minutes to Cunningham. the journeyman, over the elite draft choice.

"[Adelman] knows how to use his players ... how to use his team," Cunningham said. "He puts you in the right spot to have the best chance to succeed."

Adelman is 66. What's the challenge for a coach of that age in dealing with players four decades younger?

"He knows how to communicate," Cunningham said. "He's clear in everything he tells you."

Cunningham added that he didn't feel that things were "much different" with Terry Porter serving as head coach, and with Jack Sikma, Bill Bayno and T.R. Dunn as his veteran assistants.

"Rick Adelman still watches the games and talks to the coaches regularly," Cunningham said. "We still take his insight into games."

The Timberwolves were beaten 91-83 by a hot Brooklyn team. The Nets are 12-2 since P.J. Carlesimo replaced the fired Avery Johnson. The Wolves fell to 2-7 (and 17-22 overall) since Adelman stepped away to be with Mary Kay.

Obviously, the astounding run of injuries and illness has more to do with the defeats than anything Adelman could have done to reverse the .222 winning percentage since Jan. 8.

Adelman and Mary Kay have been married for 37 years. The wedding took place between the end of his NBA playing career and his acceptance of the coaching job at Chemeketa J.C. in Salem, Ore.

It wasn't until 1984 when he made it to the NBA as an assistant to Jack Ramsay with the Trail Blazers. Portland has been the family headquarters since, with the six children and now seven grandkids.

Rick and Mary Kay have had that big family and basketball. They also have had each other, and they still do, constantly.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/188148421.html

Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,239

Post#9 » by Murphs56 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 am

It's really a shame and just adds to what has been a miserable season. I think this is the worst one for me since the End of the KG era because this year felt like we had a real chance to do something especial
jade_hippo
Starter

Post#10 » by jade_hippo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:38 am

even bigger shame that we still aren't out of it after all that's going on either.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#11 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Murphs56 wrote:It's really a shame and just adds to what has been a miserable season. I think this is the worst one for me since the End of the KG era because this year felt like we had a real chance to do something especial

This, exactly.

The past several seasons since KG's departure, this has to be the most depressing and frustrating season. I'm a pretty realistic, and, sometimes, pessimistic fan, but after all the offseason moves, I was fully expecting a playoff berth and to advance at least to the WC semis. With all the injuries, turmoil and now Adelman's personal struggles, this season has just been one I can't wait to get over with.

Not trying to be insensitive towards Adelman and his wife's sickness, but what happens if Adelman never comes back? What if he has coached his last game for us? Do we go in an entirely new direction with an entirely new coaching staff, or does everyone remain and Porter take the permanent head coaching duties?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm

• Wolves president of basketball operations David Kahn, via email when presented with the notion that coach Rick Adelman will be gone for the rest of the year: "Anything's possible, but that's not where this is headed." That being said, two sources insist that Adelman has at least thought about needing to be away for the duration of the season.

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire. ... foot012413

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#13 » by Basti » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 pm

I said it earlier and I will say it again, there's much more than basketball in life. Take all the time you need, Rick. While I fully respect their decision to not leak anything about his wife's condition, I would like to know how serious it is. Then again, the fact that he has been away for a few weeks now and apparently contemplates to stay away for the remainder of the season makes me really worried. Here's to a full & quick recovery, Mary Kay.

Reading about their family bonds was truly inspiring, by the way. I gained even more respect for Rick and his family.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by C.lupus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 am

Rumors out of Portland are that she is suffering seizures.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#15 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:09 am

Basti wrote:I said it earlier and I will say it again, there's much more than basketball in life. Take all the time you need, Rick. While I fully respect their decision to not leak anything about his wife's condition, I would like to know how serious it is. Then again, the fact that he has been away for a few weeks now and apparently contemplates to stay away for the remainder of the season makes me really worried. Here's to a full & quick recovery, Mary Kay.

Reading about their family bonds was truly inspiring, by the way. I gained even more respect for Rick and his family.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#16 » by [RCG] » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:23 am

C.lupus wrote:Rumors out of Portland are that she is suffering seizures.

That is unfortunate. :(
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,221

Post#17 » by Calinks » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:17 am

He should have never allowed her to watch wolves games in the first place.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#18 » by The J Rocka » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 am

Calinks wrote:

He should have never allowed her to watch wolves games in the first place.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:20 pm

“@APkrawczynski: AP Source: Rick Adelman has returned to work with the #TWolves after 3 weeks w/ailing wife. Hopes to coach on Wed v. Clippers if all is OK.”

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by C.lupus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Klomp wrote:
“@APkrawczynski: AP Source: Rick Adelman has returned to work with the #TWolves after 3 weeks w/ailing wife. Hopes to coach on Wed v. Clippers if all is OK.”

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I was afraid to open this, thinking it was going to say he would be gone for the season.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves