ImageImageImageImageImage

The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#661 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Nivek wrote:Pelicans is a better team name than Wizards.

Pelicans is the dumbest name I have ever heard.

That is ridiculously stupid.

Why would the go from OKC Thunder to Pelicans

Wizards is actually not that bad a name. It has grown on me. I like it better then the Bullets. I wouldn't change it if I was Ted. Washington Wizards works pretty good. Specially if they start winning. So much play you can get off of that name. Bullets is kind of lamn if you ask me.

But if they do it, we should definitely go with Washington Beavers. The marketing opportunities are endless.

or something a little more edgy.

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#662 » by AFM » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Hands I hate to break it to you but Pelicans in New Orlean's new name, not OKC.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#663 » by LyricalRico » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:30 pm

AFM wrote:Hands I hate to break it to you but Pelicans in New Orlean's new name, not OKC.

:lol:
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#664 » by Halcyon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:53 pm

No idea where hands' mind went there lol.
hands11
Banned User

Post#665 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:32 pm

AFM wrote:Hands I hate to break it to you but Pelicans in New Orlean's new name, not OKC.

Oh, right. lol

So they are going to be NOP ? Yeah, that works.

Still, what about the Beavers. :D
hands11
Banned User

Post#666 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Halcyon wrote:No idea where hands' mind went there lol.

I was all focused on the Beavers and got A HEAD of myself. :wink:
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#667 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:14 am

Bumping this thread to ask if anyone views Ted's Take (http://www.tedstake.com)

Has anyone hard any success in posting any comments that simply don't sing his or Wizards praises? His so-called mods (I suspect Ernie Grunfeld) delete just about every negative comment that is posted over there. I wanted to get this boards' thoughts. Perhaps it is time to start a Ted's Take thread on RealGM...
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#668 » by Upper Decker » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:28 pm

So I guess hockey's back now. I don't even have passing interest in hockey but honestly I'm so infuriated with how Ted handles his hoops I wish nothing but pain and misery on the Caps this season.

I think his bravado comes from the fact that the Caps have been good, if not total choke artists, however. His Caps plan will work for the Wiz, he'll prove us he knew what he was doing all along.!! Worst owner in sports.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#669 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:39 pm

heres the problem, he has been dealing with another lockout. Plus he has been loosing a lot of money over it. Now that its over he can give more attention and time to the wiz, and look for E.G. to possibly get fired soon.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#670 » by MikeTheKid » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 pm

In the Eastern Conference, playing at a 500 level would qualify a team for a playoff spot. There is that much parity around the league. Click here to see standings.

In fact, right now- the team in the 8th spot is playing at less than a 500 level.

Last offseason, as we entered our third year of our rebuild, we harbored aspirations to play at a 500 level which would have shown great progress for our team in terms of wins and losses from the previous year. It also would have had us in the playoff hunt discussions.

We suffered a staggering amount of injuries to key players early on and we presently sit with the worst record in the NBA. We are now easing back into the lineup our key players and we are starting to play better as a team. In our last 10 games, we are playing 500 ball having won five games. This is the kind of performance we were anticipating for the season. Six teams in the East had a better record than us in the last 10 game segments.

A good goal for us for the rest of this season would be to play at a 500 levels or better. We have our players back, and we are gaining confidence. The players are motivated to play well, as they have high levels of character and they know this is an important stretch of games for the team to assess our strengths and weaknesses. Our long term goal is to build a team that can compete at much higher levels than 500 ball, but we must plan for steady and marked improvement - in measured increments.

I think there is much to still play for this season, as does everyone associated with our franchise. Thank you Wizards fans for supporting our team.

This made me LOL
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#671 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Our long term goal is to build a team that can compete at much higher levels than 500 ball, but we must plan for steady and marked improvement - in measured increments.

That is complete nonsense.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#672 » by montestewart » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 pm

tontoz wrote:
Our long term goal is to build a team that can compete at much higher levels than 500 ball, but we must plan for steady and marked improvement - in measured increments.

That is complete nonsense.

No, it's not. Too much success too soon could go to their heads. If they win one additional game every year, eventually they'll have an unbeaten season, and a barrel full of humility to boot.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#673 » by nuposse04 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 pm

I hope rudy gay isn't a "measured increment"
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#674 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Steinberg Tweet

WTOP callers asked Leonsis about noise and Gary WIlliams as Wiz coach, but not about Ernie Grunfeld or Jan Vesely. Good Job.

Ted:

We might have some talent deficiency in some places, but we don't have work ethic or accountability issues.

Check-out Steinbergs tweets reporting live from the Leonsis interview, lots more good stuff to post but I don't have time.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#675 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:08 pm

Over at the blog, I wrote this response to the Leonsis Q&A on WTOP.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#676 » by TGW » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 pm

Nivek wrote:Over at the blog, I wrote this response to the Leonsis Q&A on WTOP.

:crazy:

Oh please. What do you know? Do not question Grunfeld and Leonsis—they know exactly what their doing.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#677 » by mohammed10 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 1:09 am

TGW wrote:
:crazy:

Oh please. What do you know? Do not question Grunfeld and Leonsis—they know exactly what their doing.

With two professional sports teams at the bottom of their leagues, CCT (Cotton candy Terd - all processed hot air...sh*t on a stick) needs to take a hard look at his management philosophy, talent evaluators, income streams, and fan tolerance of mediocrity. He is certainly doing the income streams part with the advent of his Monument Network. Good for him for going public with his 360 evaluation. Now he needs to make the right choices.

It is absolutely mind boggling to me that an NBA franchise suffers a paucity of shooters, when the object of the game is to put the ball in the basket. That is just unacceptable.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#678 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 1, 2013 1:12 am

The wicked problem we have is that the Wizards are not the business Ted Leonsis is in. His business is Monumental Sports.

Yes, Monumental owns the Wizards, but the incentives don't line up well, and it's to the detriment of the team. Ted's main goal is to raise revenues and insure adequate profitability for Monumental Sports, and you don't build to that goal the same way you build to a basketball-team goal of contending for a championship.

I think it was his concern about Monumental (keeping in mind as well that he has partners in that entity) which led to the "all in for .500" so-called "strategy." We can see how well that is (not) working.

As well, we can read in everything he says about what he's doing the distinction between "fans" (they want wins) and an unnamed other group (his partners? business people at large?) who grasp his intentions. Fans aren't equipped with the business acumen to understand him -- that's how it reads to me.

Ted makes an effort to come off as a humble guy despite his wealth. I think it's a sincere effort too. But I don't think he really understands himself. He's not humble; in fact, he's an incredible egotist. If he were humble, he'd back himself altogether out of his Wizards operation. He doesn't know the first thing about how to build a basketball team.

And, if he were humble, he'd bring in a current-generation GM. Instead, he thinks that if Ernie is following his "strategy" that suffices. No more skill is needed in his mind.

Finally, if he were humble, he wouldn't have his son heading up "advanced analytics" or "advanced statistics" or whatever it is; he'd have someone with a resume in the field. Again, he think there's nothing to this stuff and that he's been stymied by *chance* rather than by his and his FO's ineptitude.

We are in for a long unpleasant ride.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#679 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:41 am

What Ted should do is fire Ernie and Randy at the AS break and brn in an older, established coach for the second half off the season (I.e.Larry Brown, Sloan), and let them teach and evaluate. Do this with the understanding that who you bring in will also serve as GM and will either move to the FO this offseason or after next season....being hands on will give them the best chance to evaluate who should stick and who should go. It would also give the team credibility going into this critical upcoming offseason.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#680 » by MikeTheKid » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:13 pm

jivelikenice wrote:What Ted should do is fire Ernie and Randy at the AS break and brn in an older, established coach for the second half off the season (I.e.Larry Brown, Sloan), and let them teach and evaluate. Do this with the understanding that who you bring in will also serve as GM and will either move to the FO this offseason or after next season....being hands on will give them the best chance to evaluate who should stick and who should go. It would also give the team credibility going into this critical upcoming offseason.

Return to Washington Wizards