Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 2.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Re: Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 2.0 

Post#21 » by nuposse04 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:12 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
miller31time wrote:Through 5 games, John Wall is averaging a per-36 of 22.8pts, 11.1asts, 3.8rebs, 1.8stls and 1.5blks.

His PER is 25.2 which puts him 6th in the NBA.

Wow that is amazing. Safe to say Wall has taken his game to another level this season. He's playing like a superstar and like maybe the best PG in the NBA so far. His defense is amazing.

Wall has a bit to go before we can put him top 3 PG category. I suspect some of the TOs will cut down as the team gets in better sync with him, and he'll probably get more assists as he has to spend last time on the court with JC. He's probably also like 7lbs away from being in prime game shape. The best is still yet to come. I'm glad he's taking jumpers though. He has a bit more swag to him then I expected he would have coming back from that lengthy injury.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#22 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:12 pm

I think what makes me most happy (and hopeful) is that, watching him this season, I don't get the feeling I'm watching something that he can't and won't do for the remainder of the season and beyond.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#23 » by mohammed10 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:24 pm

miller31time wrote:Through 5 games, John Wall is averaging a per-36 of 22.8pts, 11.1asts, 3.8rebs, 1.8stls and 1.5blks.

...and just as importantly, Wizards are 3-2 in that same stretch
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#24 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:13 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Wow that is amazing. Safe to say Wall has taken his game to another level this season. He's playing like a superstar and like maybe the best PG in the NBA so far. His defense is amazing.

Wall has a bit to go before we can put him top 3 PG category. I suspect some of the TOs will cut down as the team gets in better sync with him, and he'll probably get more assists as he has to spend last time on the court with JC. He's probably also like 7lbs away from being in prime game shape. The best is still yet to come. I'm glad he's taking jumpers though. He has a bit more swag to him then I expected he would have coming back from that lengthy injury.

Not really, if Wall just continues to play like that then no doubt he is at least a top 5 PG. Who could you realistically take over him? Only Paul, Westbrook, and a healthy Drose would have a case. Keep in mind Wall might be the best defender out of the star caliber PG's.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#25 » by Illuminaire » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Beal is going to do wonders for Wall's overall numbers. Having a guy the defense has to honor who is always in the right position for a kickout, that can only open up driving lanes for Wall and make things easier for everyone.

Wall still forces things too often, but I'll take that as long as he can maintain his FT rate, incrementally improve his jumper, and polish his pick-and-roll game. So far so good.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#26 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 am

jivelikenice wrote:I've also noticed hat his decision making is better when he's on the floor with Beal and Webster. When he has shooters, he's more inclined to make he easy pass. When he doesn't trust the players on the floor with him he tries to do too much or force difficult passes.

This is an excellent point, one that all the detractors really need to take to time to consider before judging Wall. For most of his career, Wall has been on the floor with terrible offensive players. He has made "bad decisions" by forcing tough shots or turnovers because the alternative is to give the ball to even worse options.

Even now, with a better overall group of teammates, Wall has been stuck with the 2nd unit "hustle team" incorporating guys like Ariza, Booker, Vesely and Temple. It would be interesting to go back and check Wall's game logs and see how his shooting percentage and turnovers look when he is playing alongside starters rather than the bench.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#27 » by B-easy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:26 am

I will be very surprised if he keeps up those numbers. Something like 18/9 is more likely.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#28 » by fishercob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:39 pm

nate33 wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:I've also noticed hat his decision making is better when he's on the floor with Beal and Webster. When he has shooters, he's more inclined to make he easy pass. When he doesn't trust the players on the floor with him he tries to do too much or force difficult passes.

This is an excellent point, one that all the detractors really need to take to time to consider before judging Wall. For most of his career, Wall has been on the floor with terrible offensive players. He has made "bad decisions" by forcing tough shots or turnovers because the alternative is to give the ball to even worse options.

Even now, with a better overall group of teammates, Wall has been stuck with the 2nd unit "hustle team" incorporating guys like Ariza, Booker, Vesely and Temple. It would be interesting to go back and check Wall's game logs and see how his shooting percentage and turnovers look when he is playing alongside starters rather than the bench.

Agreed. And just to be clear, I don't consider myself a Wall detractor. I consider myself a realist who thinks it's premature to anoint him as a superstar while he still has so many holes in his game. He has plenty of time and room to improve. I hope he gets there. I like him and I like he and Beal together.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#29 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:33 pm

B-easy wrote:

I will be very surprised if he keeps up those numbers. Something like 18/9 is more likely.

Probably. I certainly don't think 23 points per 36 is sustainable. He might be able to average 10 assists with this team though.

I'd really like to see Wall have a 20 assist game once or twice this year. That kind of headline grabber would finally put an end to this ridiculous notion that he isn't a "true" point guard.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#30 » by dobrojim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Imagine how much higher his PER would be if he was a shoot first PG

Yeah, Van Gundy, I'm talkin to you.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#31 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Looks like he had an awful game. Didn't see it. How did he look?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#32 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Up until that game against Portland, Wall was looking pretty solid since he return. I don't know what happen between his ears last game, but he looked like the John Wall that started last year which is to say, he looked terrible. Forced everything. Difficult passes. Way to fast and out of control. He tried ways to hard to he a star instead of being a PG and controlling the game.

In contract. Price had one of his best games. He was deliberate. He set up the offense.

Now I know rotations matter and yesterday Randy was terrible after the first quarter, but man John looked bad last night. I was actually screaming to but AJ Price back in. I just hope it is a one game thing.

If I was to guess, it was like.... he is now feeling a lot better. He is in better shape so he turned to his speed instead of his skill in an attempt to show up Lillard. It didn't work. Lillard was shut down for 3 quarter and still end up playing way better then Wall did. Lillard even blow by Wall and dunked on him late the forth. Along the way he capped a couple of 3s. Lillard who is a rookie was better then Wall last night. That is pretty sad.

But Crawford saved the day.

Come on John. Get your head on straight.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#33 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Looks like he had an awful game. Didn't see it. How did he look?

Like he was shaving points. Worst game I can remember from him -- just a complete turnover machine. He did redeem himself just a bit with a huge steal and dunk down the stretch. I think if he weren't ramping back up from an extended absence that Wittman would have sat him in favor of Price down the stretch, but the Wizards have been pretty clear that they are thinking big picture (and why wouldn't they at 9-30). Hopefully he bounces back soon; we saw the worst of him last night.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#34 » by MDStar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:34 pm

hands11 wrote:Up until that game against Portland, Wall was looking pretty solid since he return. I don't know what happen between his ears last game, but he looked like the John Wall that started last year which is to say, he looked terrible. Forced everything. Difficult passes. Way to fast and out of control. He tried ways to hard to he a star instead of being a PG and controlling the game.

In contract. Price had one of his best games. He was deliberate. He set up the offense.

Now I know rotations matter and yesterday Randy was terrible after the first quarter, but man John looked bad last night. I was actually screaming to but AJ Price back in. I just hope it is a one game thing.

If I was to guess, it was like.... he is now feeling a lot better. He is in better shape so he turned to his speed instead of his skill in an attempt to show up Lillard. It didn't work. Lillard was shut down for 3 quarter and still end up playing way better then Wall did. Lillard even blow by Wall and dunked on him late the forth. Along the way he capped a couple of 3s. Lillard who is a rookie was better then Wall last night. That is pretty sad.

I can't agree with this. By no means was John great last night but to say he looked bad, I believe is overstating it. I watched the entire game and yes, Wall seemed to be out of sync for a majority of the night but I also saw about 3 passes that were TO's for Wall that should be have been caught by his team. I also saw about 3 others that he setup his teammates perfectly for wide open jumpers or layups that were completely blown. John looked like a guy who just couldn't get a break last night but his numbers should have been better across the board if he got some help.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#35 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:45 pm

MDStar wrote:
hands11 wrote:Up until that game against Portland, Wall was looking pretty solid since he return. I don't know what happen between his ears last game, but he looked like the John Wall that started last year which is to say, he looked terrible. Forced everything. Difficult passes. Way to fast and out of control. He tried ways to hard to he a star instead of being a PG and controlling the game.

I can't agree with this. By no means was John great last night but to say he looked bad, I believe is overstating it. I watched the entire game and yes, Wall seemed to be out of sync for a majority of the night but I also saw about 3 passes that were TO's for Wall that should be have been caught by his team. I also saw about 3 others that he setup his teammates perfectly for wide open jumpers or layups that were completely blown. John looked like a guy who just couldn't get a break last night but his numbers should have been better across the board if he got some help.

We will have to disagree then.

What I saw were difficult passes that where not completed. Flashy passes. Style over substance. Price found his teammates in better rhythm.

I saw a one on one move down the stretch when he already was struggling. That move was a major failure as he tried to take it down the middle while doing a behind the back move. And this was with the game on the line.

I saw the game get totally out of control with him out there after an AMAZING FIRST QUARTER where the team looked like a well oil machine in half court offense. No form to the offense and he never slowed down the pace to get a handle on things. Yes, he wasn't out there with Nene and Okafor but he didn't help things. Kevin can post. Booker looked like crap. Ves needed to be in there if they were going to be play like that. Ves would have at least passed and set picks. This would have been a good game to turn to Ves.

What I saw looked terrible. Not just bad but terrible. For the first time in my life I was wishing Randy would get Price back in the game at PG over Wall. I would have even turned to Crawford at PG with Webster at SG with Trevor A at SF.

This game shouldn't have been this close. We should have won by 10 easy. But I'll take the ugly win as they figure things out. Line ups are going to change again as Wall becomes the starter. Hopefully he looks better with Beal, Webster, Nene and Okafor out there. Then he won't try to do so much. I hope.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#36 » by AFM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Is it true John is 52% on iso situations this year?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#37 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm

John Wall admits a lot of the hype he received when he entered the NBA has disappeared, but he continues to aspire to be one of the best point guards in the league.

"There’s a lot of good point guards in this league and I’m just trying to keep getting better to be up there with the best," Wall said.

"At first I was hyped then it goes away. ... You get noticed by winning."

Shooting over 30% on jumpers would be a nice place to start. Either that or just stop shooting them.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#38 » by Dat2U » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 pm

LOL if he stops shooting them then we might as well trade him now. Honestly I hate the fact he's not shooting the 3 anymore. Whatever coach or coaches that told him to stop shooting 3s probably shouldn't be coaching.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#39 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 am

tontoz wrote:
John Wall admits a lot of the hype he received when he entered the NBA has disappeared, but he continues to aspire to be one of the best point guards in the league.

"There’s a lot of good point guards in this league and I’m just trying to keep getting better to be up there with the best," Wall said.

"At first I was hyped then it goes away. ... You get noticed by winning."

Shooting over 30% on jumpers would be a nice place to start. Either that or just stop shooting them.

Kyrie Irving and JRue Holiday, players John Wall's age or younger, were named All Star reserves.

(Deron Williams didn't make the AS team. Wow.)

John Wall has lots to prove, regardless of having been injured. I think John is going to have to get it done with defense and by cutting down turnovers. Otherwise, he will go from hyped to scrutinized in a hurry.
Bye bye Beal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#40 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 am

Dat2U wrote:LOL if he stops shooting them then we might as well trade him now. Honestly I hate the fact he's not shooting the 3 anymore. Whatever coach or coaches that told him to stop shooting 3s probably shouldn't be coaching.

Wall is taking 4.5 shots per game from 16-23 feet in only 25 minutes, shooting 26%. He shot 29-30% the last two years. That isn't going to work. If he can't make them then he needs to stop shooting them unless it is right at the end of the clock.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards