ImageImageImageImageImage

Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 2.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Re: Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 2.0 

Post#41 » by jivelikenice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:47 am

Forget percentages....he's making a couple of Js a game....last year he would go week switch out hitting a jumpsuit. It's getting to the point where I have confidence when he pulls up on his shot. His offense has come a LNG way since last year. We're seeing a variety of moves, more changing speeds, hesitations, floates, and he's much better in end of quarter iOS situations.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#42 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:59 am

tontoz wrote:
Dat2U wrote:LOL if he stops shooting them then we might as well trade him now. Honestly I hate the fact he's not shooting the 3 anymore. Whatever coach or coaches that told him to stop shooting 3s probably shouldn't be coaching.

Wall is taking 4.5 shots per game from 16-23 feet in only 25 minutes, shooting 26%. He shot 29-30% the last two years. That isn't going to work. If he can't make them then he needs to stop shooting them unless it is right at the end of the clock.

According to basketball reference, he is hitting 31% of his shots from 15-23 feet. He is attempting 5.3 shots per 36 minutes.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#43 » by B-easy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 am

nate33 wrote:
tontoz wrote:
Dat2U wrote:LOL if he stops shooting them then we might as well trade him now. Honestly I hate the fact he's not shooting the 3 anymore. Whatever coach or coaches that told him to stop shooting 3s probably shouldn't be coaching.

Wall is taking 4.5 shots per game from 16-23 feet in only 25 minutes, shooting 26%. He shot 29-30% the last two years. That isn't going to work. If he can't make them then he needs to stop shooting them unless it is right at the end of the clock.

According to basketball reference, he is hitting 31% of his shots from 15-23 feet. He is attempting 5.3 shots per 36 minutes.

That was after todays game.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#44 » by jivelikenice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 am

nate33 wrote:
tontoz wrote:

It seemed like those stats were off....I think it's pretty obvious the shot is better & he has more confidence. I really don't mind him focusing on the midrange as long as he's not afraid to shoot a wide open 3 if its there The one shot I'd like to see a little more of is the corner 3 on occasion.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#45 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:28 am

What kind of contract can John get with his broken jumper?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#46 » by dangermouse » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:45 am

jivelikenice wrote:Forget percentages....he's making a couple of Js a game....last year he would go week switch out hitting a jumpsuit. It's getting to the point where I have confidence when he pulls up on his shot. His offense has come a LNG way since last year. We're seeing a variety of moves, more changing speeds, hesitations, floates, and he's much better in end of quarter iOS situations.

Been listening to a lot of Suzi Quatro lately?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#47 » by DCZards » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:14 am

jivelikenice wrote:Forget percentages....he's making a couple of Js a game....last year he would go week switch out hitting a jumpsuit. It's getting to the point where I have confidence when he pulls up on his shot. His offense has come a LNG way since last year. We're seeing a variety of moves, more changing speeds, hesitations, floates, and he's much better in end of quarter iOS situations.

John's jump shoot is no doubt improving. He hit a nice pull up jumper in the 3rd quarter. Another offseason of putting in the work on his shooting and he'll be even better.

Other than that, the kid is pretty much the entire package. His impact on pts scored, fg%, 3 pt% and trips to the free throw line is very impressive.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#48 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 am

I am not worried about Wall, other than his knee. If that is fine I am fine with Wall.

What is apparent with better teammates around John Wall is how easily he gets to the rim. Wall is drawing contact or laying the ball up really well. He's dishing to others. Except for an occasional lapse in judgement, what I see is a player controlling the tempo.

Wall's defense seems to be leaps and bounds better so far. Again, I think having better teammates is allowing Wall to be more disruptive overplaying passing lanes. John and Bradley Beal are doing a very good job contesting shots.

Watching Wall and Beal get layups in transition has taken virtually all my concerns over his poor outside shooting away.
Bye bye Beal.
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#49 » by Illmatic21 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:59 am

Wall is clearly the real deal. Most of my concerns from early last season are gone. A midrange jumper is all he needs to elevate himself into the elite PG conversation, so I guess we'll wait and see.

Not sure if any of you guys have watched the Sixers much (probably not), but if Wall could ever get close to Jrue Holiday's scoring skillset he would be incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg7gHAXrpU4

^That's probably a lot to ask for, kid is frickin good offensively. He's only ~3 months older than John too.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#50 » by dangermouse » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 am

Is John really that "x factor" that is winning us games right now? Has he really impacted this team that much with his play?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#51 » by Illuminaire » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 am

No and yes. Wall back means that Price gets to do his thing against bench players, and he's been doing that very well. Crawford is getting his minutes where they belong, at the backup SG spot. Wall being back balances our rotation and makes the team better just because.

John's offensive play has been at times spectacular and at times underwhelming, much like last season. Our team defense with Wall on the court appears to be flipping amazing, though, and that has been a tremendous contributor to our newly winning ways.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#52 » by GhostsOfGil » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 am

DCZards wrote:

John's jump shoot is no doubt improving. He hit a nice pull up jumper in the 3rd quarter. Another offseason of putting in the work on his shooting and he'll be even better.

Other than that, the kid is pretty much the entire package. His impact on pts scored, fg%, 3 pt% and trips to the free throw line is very impressive.

Via TAI
He shot 3-for-4 on 2-pointers beyond 10 feet against the T-Wolves, bringing his season total to 14-for-36 (38.88%). Last season, Wall shot 31.65% from that range, and 31.06% as a rookie. Keep in mind 36 shots is a pretty small sample size—Wall took 367 2s beyond 10 feet in 2010-11 and 357 in ’11-’12. But if Wall keeps it up… Kevin Arnovitz told a few of us D.C. TrueHoopers today that when Wall is finally able to force defenders to defend him over the screen, as a shooting threat, the floor will open up and make Wall’s job so much easier.

He has a long way to go, but so far, Wall is knocking down long-2s at a higher rate than teammates Martell Webster (35.59%) and Bradley Beal (35.64%). He’s also doing it better than ESPN’s NBA Top 25 Under 25 stars James Harden (35.48%), Paul George (37.07%) and midrange ace Russell Westbrook (37.28%).
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#53 » by nuposse04 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:00 am

I kinda want him and Jan to practice 3's all day.

If he can up his mid range game, that'd do wonders for us, good to see the stats are saying he's improved. How many of his TO's were his own doing today? Didn't see the game so I'm just curious.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#54 » by B-easy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 am

I am disappointed by his use of screens. He doesn't know how to effectively use a screen to get by the opposing PG, obviously we have seen it sometimes but i would like to see it more. In the mold of D-wade, the player he has reminded me of most when he attacks the rim.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#55 » by Dark Faze » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:54 pm

The best thing is that he's playing slower--I think the injury may be the reason for it and if that's the case then it was a blessing in disguise.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#56 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Wall played well overall last night but it was a bad game for his jumper, going 1-7. Several of those shots were taken with plenty of time left on the clock which shouldn't happen.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#57 » by go'stags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm perfectly fine with Wall taking the shots that he did. I don't recall any of them being forced. Most were within the flow of the offense, and its almost comical how open he gets sometimes (both due to the defense sagging, but also because of that wicked quick crossover).

The fact is, he is going to have to start hitting that shot. As long as he is shooting it with confidence and within the framework of the offense it is okay with me. The best way to become more consistent is to take what you have been practicing and do it at game speed. He has to keep shooting.

Plus we're winning.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#58 » by Knighthonor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 pm

let him develop it. get more confident with that shot. he will rock.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,113

Post#59 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Agree with stags, I don't care if he's missing some he needs to continue to shot the midrange. I think his shot has become more mechanically strong (granted he still has a ways to go),he barely missed about 3-4 last night.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#60 » by TGW » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Unless John Wall develops a jumpshot, he will just be a good player...never a great one. His outside shooting at this point is embarrassing. I think Jared Jeffries had a more sound jumpshot than John does at this point.

I'm not saying they should trade him, but I think they should consider alternatives if he continues to be a horrific shooter from the outside. Right now, I have more faith in Okafor hitting an outside jumper than John.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards