Is Kelly Olynyk playing himself into the lottery?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,996

Re: Is Kelly Olynyk playing himself into the lottery? 

Post#21 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:06 pm

23-7 wrote:He's climbing. Seven Footers who can score like that and move well are valuable.

And overrated. He does look to have NBA caliber offense but guys like him need to be dynamite offensively (like young Amare awesome) or their deficiency rebounding and defensively kill you. Also you guys are missing mualram's point It doesn't matter if Gonzaga is the best team in the country being in a mid major conferenerenc makes comparing his production to prospects from other team difficult because half of the games he plays will be against weak team, even with the strong nonconference schedule.

Interesting prospect though. REminds me of Scola, but I think Scola is a better rebounder.
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#22 » by 23-7 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Well look at the games he's played against good teams then. Guy can't help who he plays.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#23 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:53 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:
23-7 wrote:He's climbing. Seven Footers who can score like that and move well are valuable.

And overrated. He does look to have NBA caliber offense but guys like him need to be dynamite offensively (like young Amare awesome) or their deficiency rebounding and defensively kill you. Also you guys are missing mualram's point It doesn't matter if Gonzaga is the best team in the country being in a mid major conferenerenc makes comparing his production to prospects from other team difficult because half of the games he plays will be against weak team, even with the strong nonconference schedule.

Interesting prospect though. REminds me of Scola, but I think Scola is a better rebounder.

Overrated?? The fact is that Olynyk has rarely been discussed by any of the so-called "experts" until recently. He's barely been rated by anybody. You can look at a number of lists of potential draft picks and not find his name mentioned. In reality, many people are just discovering Olynyk. He's definitely better on offense than defense, but he does look like he can be a decent rebounder and defensive player in the pros. He's a good-very good athlete for his size and has quick feet. I'd compare him more to Pau Gasol than Scola. And no, I don't think he's as good as Gasol, just saying his game reminds me of Gasol.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#24 » by Golabki » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:33 pm

If you like Olynyk do you LOVE Cooley?
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,996

Post#25 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
UGA Hayes wrote:

Overrated?? The fact is that Olynyk has rarely been discussed by any of the so-called "experts" until recently. He's barely been rated by anybody. You can look at a number of lists of potential draft picks and not find his name mentioned. In reality, many people are just discovering Olynyk. He's definitely better on offense than defense, but he does look like he can be a decent rebounder and defensive player in the pros. He's a good-very good athlete for his size and has quick feet. I'd compare him more to Pau Gasol than Scola. And no, I don't think he's as good as Gasol, just saying his game reminds me of Gasol.

I meant more his type at the NBA level then him specifically. I could definitely see him getting draft and having a decent NBA career, just suspect that he is one of those guys who b/c he can score, will be overrated . Obviously Right now he is underrated, given that draft boards don't even list him.
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#26 » by black bart » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:05 pm

How is Olynyk overrated? He is more underrated. He is putting up 18 points and 7 rebounds on 70 ts%. Who does that and isn't automatically in the lottery when they are seven feet tall? If players like jimmer fredette can get in the lottery, Olynyk should easily get in too if he keeps up this pace.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Golabki wrote:If you like Olynyk do you LOVE Cooley?

No. He's a gamer but at best he could just be a 12th man in the pros. Just doesn't have the length or athletic ability.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#28 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am

UGA Hayes wrote:

When I read comments like this, I feel like I've been transported back to the mid 90's. Butler has played in 2 finals in the past few years, George Mason and VCU made recent ff's.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#29 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 am

UGA Hayes wrote:

Scola? Wow, you should have your mod status revoked for that comparison. See Kellys ally opp dunk against Wazzu that made the ESPN top 10 that night; Scola could never have done that.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#30 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:18 am

Olynyk has already made it to the 1st round in NBADraft, btw.
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#31 » by teamjosh04 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Kelly Olynyk is a great college basketball success story but I dont see him as a first round pick. He has yet to face a good defensive frontcourt and is a horrible defender himself.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#32 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

teamjosh04 wrote:Kelly Olynyk is a great college basketball success story but I dont see him as a first round pick. He has yet to face a good defensive frontcourt and is a horrible defender himself.

Like who? He did just fine against Isiah Austin. What specific frontcourt do you have in mind? And how specifically is he a horrible defender?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,919

Post#33 » by JN » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:
23-7 wrote: Also you guys are missing mualram's point It doesn't matter if Gonzaga is the best team in the country being in a mid major conferenerenc makes comparing his production to prospects from other team difficult because half of the games he plays will be against weak team, even with the strong nonconference schedule.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/sos.html

Forecasted SOS (for the entire year)

51. UCLA
64. Gonzaga
68. Kentucky

I guess we should think the same for Kentucky this year?

The bottom half of the WCC is really weak. But you have to remember that 3 of the 9 teams are very good programs - Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU. And Santa Clara is fairly good.

Look at the garbage in the SEC this year - Georgia, Vanderbilt, Miss St, Auburn, South Carolina. And than a bunch of mediocore programs.

The WCC is about equal this year to the SEC.

A fan of the SEC should not be looking down at mid-majors this year. The MWC and A-10 are better, and the SEC is more comparable to the WCC amd the MVC
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 pm

I don't what the big deal is about playing in a less than top conference. As I recall Damian Lillard didn't play in a supposedly top-fllght conference, and he could very well be roty in the NBA. McCollum plays for Lehigh and they're certainly not in a great conference. Olynyk has done very well against some real good schools. A good analyst can evaluate a player whatever conference or country they play in.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#35 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 am

Another ho hum 21/8 in 19 minutes. He's now up to #17 in NBAdraft.net.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#36 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Best stat line of the year so far last night against BYU:
26 points on 100% shooting (no, that wasn't a typo, he went 9-9 in fg's 8-8 fts, 9 rebs, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#37 » by Blast Tyrant » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:17 pm

I love this guys game. Totally transformed himself both physically and on the court. Good story, I hope he does well.
Laowai
Analyst
And1: 26

Post#38 » by Laowai » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:16 pm

He will likely be one of the 3 Canadian's in the 1st. Bennet, Olymyk and Kabonga.
Kabonga may be iffy since he got shaffted by the NCAA.
Canadian in China
Keshavarzi
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#39 » by Keshavarzi » Fri Feb 1, 2013 6:33 pm

The only thing that worries me about him (and perhaps wrongfully so) is the number of busts that have come from Gonzaga.
The over-moderating of this site has gotten ridiculous, if you agree, take your talents to www.reddit.com/r/nba
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Johnlac1 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 6:39 pm

Busts come from every school. John Stockton came out of Gonzaga. Didn't like Morrison's prospects that much, and a major knee injury didn't help much either. I don't see Olynyk as being a major star, but he definitely has possibilities. He'll have to get tougher on defense and rebounding.

Return to NBA Draft