Nerlens Noel, can he go #1 if Kentucky misses the tournament

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Nerlens Noel, can he go #1 if Kentucky misses the tournament 

Post#1 » by Jazzfan12 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 am

His teammates are unbelievably bad. He's not nearly as good as Davis was last year since Davis had actual touch and legendary coordination and didn't go for pumpfakes, but he's still pretty damn good and looks like easily the best player in the draft to me with his quickness. However, Kentucky is not good and he's playing with two "great" prospects in Goodwin and Poythress so do you think Kentucky's lack of success will be held against Noel considering how great the program has been in the last couple years?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,515

Re: Nerlens Noel, can he go #1 if Kentucky misses the tourna 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:56 am

It'd be pretty unlikely in my opinion. It's stupid but it's a consistent trend every year, the players on underperforming college teams get dinged for it
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#3 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 am

In THIS draft there is no clear cut BPA. so it would depend on my needs as a team.

he has grown and improved a ton at kentucky, just don't ask for him to be a 20+ point guy, he could be a 15/12 guys with 3-4 assists 3 bpg 2 spg
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#4 » by DirtyDez » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 am

I know you can say this about every prospect but if he ends up in the right situation he will make a huge impact. Whoever drafts him needs to hire a great big man coach. Rich man's Ibaka and his frame is perfect to develop.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 pm

He's <still> clearly the best prospect in the draft. If KY had a legit PG, his offensive stats would be on par with what Davis showed at the same point.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Deathray
Junior
And1: 110

Post#6 » by Deathray » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Nobody's going to hold it against Noel. Goodwin and Poythress are another matter - Goodwin has the offensive basketball IQ of a walnut and right now it looks like Poythress will be lucky if his ceiling is Marvin Williams.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#7 » by Leolovinliberal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:He's <still> clearly the best prospect in the draft. If KY had a legit PG, his offensive stats would be on par with what Davis showed at the same point.

Clearly? Replace that word with "possibly" and your post has some credibility.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,490

Post#8 » by GoBobs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm

I wouldn't hold it against him to much. Last years KY team had some vets that made a big difference.

Noel is more of a prospect then a finished product, but that fits in with what the bobcats are trying to do. I would rather take Noel and be terrible another year, then get another high draft pick next year. If we take a more polished player we might be better right away, but with next years draft do we really want that?
Iplaytolose
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#9 » by Iplaytolose » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:55 pm

GoBobs wrote:I wouldn't hold it against him to much. Last years KY team had some vets that made a big difference.

Noel is more of a prospect then a finished product, but that fits in with what the bobcats are trying to do. I would rather take Noel and be terrible another year, then get another high draft pick next year. If we take a more polished player we might be better right away, but with next years draft do we really want that?

I think Noel would make a great glue guy along with MKG, then you guys can hope to get your franchise player in Wiggins for 2014. Hypothetically though, would they play Wiggins at the 3 and MKG at the 2 or vice versa?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Leolovinliberal wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He's <still> clearly the best prospect in the draft. If KY had a legit PG, his offensive stats would be on par with what Davis showed at the same point.

Clearly? Replace that word with "possibly" and your post has some credibility.

Interesting, we have the decider of credibility here. I'm honored by your presence.

We're dealing in opinions here. In my opinion, he is still clearly the top prospect in the draft - by a wide margin.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#11 » by [RCG] » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:44 pm

There is no reason he couldn't. Noel isn't Kentucky's problem, he's the only thing going well for the team right now. UK lacks veteran leadership, Harrow has not played well at the point and they have inconsistent outside shooting. Noel has been doing it all for the team, buckets, blocks, assists, steals. From the beginning of the season Noel's stock has improved while Goodwin and Poythress' has dropped.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#12 » by Jake0890 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 pm

Noel won't go #1. I don't think he has the ability to beat out the other top picks, and he's not nearly as polished as Davis was last year, or any of the other players that may leave this year.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#13 » by Eoghan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 am

He could easily go #1 if UK misses the tourney. All he has to do is destroy in workouts and have a team needing a big pick in the top spot.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#14 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 am

Jake0890 wrote:Noel won't go #1. I don't think he has the ability to beat out the other top picks, and he's not nearly as polished as Davis was last year, or any of the other players that may leave this year.

Noel: 10.6 ppg on 58.6% 9.4 rpg 4.3 bpg 2.4 spg 1.7 apg
Davis: 14.2 ppg on 62.3% 10.4 rpg 4.7 bpg 1.4 spg 1.3 apg

If Noel is not nearly as polished as Davis and he's putting up those numbers there is no reason he shouldn't go #1.
And his only competition is Ben McLemore,
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#15 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am

Eh, even just looking at the numbers, 4 points on the TS% Davis was on is a HUGE gap. I haven't watched as much as you, do you feel Noel needs more chances on offense? It is clear now that Kentucky could have let Davis create for himself much more than they did, do you feel the same about Nerlens?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#16 » by thamadkant » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am

GoBobs wrote:I wouldn't hold it against him to much. Last years KY team had some vets that made a big difference.

Bobcats need to stop tanking... At one point they need to see payoff by winning games...
Walker, Biyombo, MKG etc... Add another top 10 rookie; they should be trying to win... NBA should give teams max 5 years to get better or face up fines or draft penalties... Like barred from a top 5 pick...

With that said... Getting Mclemore or Noel... Will help them enough to NOT suck bad enough to get Wiggins or Parker.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#17 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:13 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Eh, even just looking at the numbers, 4 points on the TS% Davis was on is a HUGE gap. I haven't watched as much as you, do you feel Noel needs more chances on offense? It is clear now that Kentucky could have let Davis create for himself much more than they did, do you feel the same about Nerlens?

Its only FG% but Noel doesn't necessarily need more opportunities, he needs consistent perimeter players. Poythress and Goodwin haven't been able to space the floor as they're both better driving to the hoop. Opposing teams can play off them a little bit and clog the lanes. Davis had Miller, Lamb, Teague, even Jones could step out a little bit, which all helped create a diverse offense. This year there isn't much diversity. Dribble around the outside and try to find an opening to drive, give the ball to Wiltjer or try to pass it down low to Noel/WCS. The PG Harrow has been Calipari's worst by far and it shows.

Noel isn't quite the prospect Davis is and doesn't have his frame but he is just as good of a shot-blocker and perhaps even more well-rounded on that end as he racks up the steals as well. He needs some work on the offensive end but isn't as raw as many thought coming into the year, behind Davis though. And his FTs need a lot of work. But he has the most potential out of anyone in the draft and is producing a high level. I like McLemore as well so it may come down to what the team at #1 needs and thinks of the player but Noel is certainly worthy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 pm

RCG, any idea why KY doesn't use alley oops to Noel? At least in the games that I've watched, they haven't. Davis must have got a minimum of 2 in every KY game I saw last season.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#19 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Not really sure. It certainly hasn't been emphasized. Like I said the lanes are a little more packed than last year so the opportunities to do so are limited and the ball-handlers, Harrow, Mays, Polson are Calipari's worst points since he has been here. Knight, Wall, Teague. So they might not have the vision or the confidence or IMO I don't think Calipari has given them the freedom to do so.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,088

Post#20 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 pm

I think Noel is a safe bet to have an impact as defensive stud at C. He's not in Anthony Davis' class offensively but there's nothing holding him back from being the next Joakim Noah/Tyson Chandler type difference maker. His passing instincts is an added bonus. I think he's clear and away the best prospect in the draft. Not a future superstar but a very good player for years to come.

Frankly outside of Noel, the top of the draft looks like a complete mess.

Return to NBA Draft