Kahn Speaks

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Kahn Speaks 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Most of this has been addressed in other threads, but here's the video of the interview anyways:

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/video/p ... vid-kahn-0
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Kahn Speaks 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:43 pm

http://www.kfan.com/player/?mid=22814952

15 minute interview from Friday
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#3 » by urinesane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:28 am

I like Kahn, he is very honest, and straight forward. His tone may annoy some people, but I like his directness.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#4 » by Murphs56 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:47 am

urinesane wrote:I like Kahn, he is very honest, and straight forward. His tone may annoy some people, but I like his directness.

Well, the rest of the league thinks he's a joke
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by urinesane » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Murphs56 wrote:
urinesane wrote:I like Kahn, he is very honest, and straight forward. His tone may annoy some people, but I like his directness.

Why does that matter?
champalift
Junior
And1: 12

Post#6 » by champalift » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:50 am

urinesane wrote:
Murphs56 wrote:

Why does that matter?

This is something I have struggled with. I like Kahn. I really like his salary cap work and the fact he brought in Adelman, but will absolutely admit he leaves plenty to desire when it comes to draft prospect evaluation. The draft is a crap shoot, but that is why GMs get paid the big bucks, to make the draft NOT a crap shoot.

The fact of the matter is that even if we like him here, if the rest of the NBA, media, players, agents, etc. don't respect our GM, that WILL affect our team. I am not saying all the scrutiny Kahn has received is valid or honest, but it does exist and I believe it does have a negative impact on the organization whether fair or not.

With that said, I will be mixed if Kahn isn't renewed. I think he has done more good then bad, but we may need to move on for the simple PR factor for the Wolves and perhaps just let Adelman take more unofficial responsibility on who he wants. Side note, I want the Mayor back!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 am

Wolfson tweet on if he sees Kahn back.

Taylor making that call or a different owner? If it's Taylor, I think it's possible. If it's someone else's call, doubtful.

urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by urinesane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 am

champalift wrote:This is something I have struggled with. I like Kahn. I really like his salary cap work and the fact he brought in Adelman, but will absolutely admit he leaves plenty to desire when it comes to draft prospect evaluation. The draft is a crap shoot, but that is why GMs get paid the big bucks, to make the draft NOT a crap shoot.

The fact of the matter is that even if we like him here, if the rest of the NBA, media, players, agents, etc. don't respect our GM, that WILL affect our team. I am not saying all the scrutiny Kahn has received is valid or honest, but it does exist and I believe it does have a negative impact on the organization whether fair or not.

With that said, I will be mixed if Kahn isn't renewed. I think he has done more good then bad, but we may need to move on for the simple PR factor for the Wolves and perhaps just let Adelman take more unofficial responsibility on who he wants. Side note, I want the Mayor back!

Kahn was never looked at as a talent evaluator, he has been known as a numbers guy. He now finally has good talent evaluators helping him get the players they want, why fire him now? The Wolves if healthy are a VERY GOOD team, I don't see how the team being hurt is Kahn's fault.

If the league disrespected him this much, how did he turn around the roster so drastically?
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#9 » by Murphs56 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:15 am

urinesane wrote:
champalift wrote:This is something I have struggled with. I like Kahn. I really like his salary cap work and the fact he brought in Adelman, but will absolutely admit he leaves plenty to desire when it comes to draft prospect evaluation. The draft is a crap shoot, but that is why GMs get paid the big bucks, to make the draft NOT a crap shoot.

Kahn was never looked at as a talent evaluator, he has been known as a numbers guy. He now finally has good talent evaluators helping him get the players they want, why fire him now? The Wolves if healthy are a VERY GOOD team, I don't see how the team being hurt is Kahn's fault.

If the league disrespected him this much, how did he turn around the roster so drastically?

You mean by inheriting Love, Pekovic, signing Barea to a huge conract, signing Roy, Drafting Wes and Flynn? He's done a TON of bad and has done nothing record wise to show he's a good GM
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#10 » by NikolaPekovic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 am

No matter how our team looks it is still poorly built.

A bunch of injury prone white guys (no offense) with no shooters, no length, no athleticism.

Its as if our team is built to diminish Ricky and KEvins abilities.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#11 » by Basti » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 pm

NikolaPekovic wrote:No matter how our team looks it is still poorly built.

A bunch of injury prone white guys (no offense) with no shooters, no length, no athleticism.

Nobody except Roy (who has always been a gamble) and Kirilenko had much of an injury history before this season. Nobody could have predicted an epic meltdown of knees.

We might not have many shooters on the roster but JJ, Luke, Chase, Kevin and to a lesser degree Williams and Shved (due to adjusting to the NBA) are/can be good shooters. Streaky but overall they should be able to hit the three pointer at an above average clip. And their numbers from earlier seasons back that up. Whatever caused them to shoot so abysmally this year is the reason we suck at three point shooting, not Kahn not trading for shooters.

No length, I give you that.

Athleticism is overrated. I'd rather have a smart player than an athletic one 9 out of 10 times. It's nice to have athleticism but if the brain is not there it's so overrated.
teamwillow
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#12 » by teamwillow » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 pm

i like kahn ok, think he deserves a few more years.

To be completely fair, he's a Love injury away from being discussed as GM of the year or something...think about it
champalift
Junior
And1: 12

Post#13 » by champalift » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:58 pm

urinesane wrote:

His contract is up after this year. It is not a question of firing, but a question of renewing. And IF we were healthy we would be a"VERY GOOD" team is a big if. Yes, better than we have had for years, but do we really know? I mean as a diehard Wolves fan I love this team and see some amazing potential, but that is still what it is, potential. But yes, injuries suck and that has really hurt us.

He turned it around due to two factors.
#1 - getting Adelman here. No idea how he did (likely reason #2) but he did do it. This has lead a number of players to decide to come play for Adelman because they know they would benefit from his coaching. Do you think we would have this roster if Kurt Rambis (shutter) was still here?
#2 - he has outbid other teams. JJ is getting ~5 million a year. AK is getting 10-11m. Roy got 5m when everyone else was offering 2.5m (and his boy Will Conroy is in the front office). Offered the max to Batum when no one else was in the picture near that amount. There is definitely an argument on whether those contracts are valid now, but the fact is we spent/offered more than the market just to get in the door.

With all that said, I will not deny he really has turned a mismatched pile of junk into a really decent team with potential while creating good cap flexibility. For the sake of PR though, my guess is he is not renewed.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by urinesane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:13 pm

It's too bad. I like the direction this team is going.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#15 » by mandurugo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:05 pm

It seems like luck is the biggest factor in deciding who's good and who's bad (and a limitless walled to erase mistakes in some cases). When Dumars won the executive of the year no one could have had more praise, now he's one of the worst in the league. Go down the list of guys who have won that award, almost all of them have had more years where their team's fans were wishing them off the team.

Kahn's ok, if he's not re-hired that's fine too. But there's no guarantee the next guy will be as good or better.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#16 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Basti wrote:
NikolaPekovic wrote:No matter how our team looks it is still poorly built.

Nobody except Roy (who has always been a gamble) and Kirilenko had much of an injury history before this season. Nobody could have predicted an epic meltdown of knees.

We might not have many shooters on the roster but JJ, Luke, Chase, Kevin and to a lesser degree Williams and Shved (due to adjusting to the NBA) are/can be good shooters. Streaky but overall they should be able to hit the three pointer at an above average clip. And their numbers from earlier seasons back that up. Whatever caused them to shoot so abysmally this year is the reason we suck at three point shooting, not Kahn not trading for shooters.

No length, I give you that.

Athleticism is overrated. I'd rather have a smart player than an athletic one 9 out of 10 times. It's nice to have athleticism but if the brain is not there it's so overrated.
Pretty much agree with Basti here.

Chase and Kevin were suppose to be the primary shooters. Derrick, Luke, JJ, Alexey are decent streaky shooters as well. Dante is good from about 18 ft.

Chase, Derrick, Dante area all pretty athletic

Injuries are pretty much flukes except for Roy (which was expected to a certain extent) and Pek's nagging things.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#17 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm

As for Kahn, I wouldn't be upset either way if he stays or goes. I can see Taylor re-upping him for another year or two just to get throught the sale of the team, though. I actually would kind of like to see the original tag-team idea with Kahn (finances) and someone like Pete Philo (talent evaluator). Or give Adelman's posse the reigns on the talent part.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#18 » by Jukeness » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm

If it doesnt work out next year, I say he's gone, next year has to be the year the Wolves break out.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#19 » by Narf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:06 pm

Basti wrote:Nobody except Roy (who has always been a gamble) and Kirilenko had much of an injury history before this season. Nobody could have predicted an epic meltdown of knees.

Oh really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bayno
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#20 » by Basti » Sat Feb 2, 2013 1:03 am

Narf wrote:
Basti wrote:Nobody except Roy (who has always been a gamble) and Kirilenko had much of an injury history before this season. Nobody could have predicted an epic meltdown of knees.

Oh really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bayno

So? While it was interesting to read about Bayno's career I don't see your point.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves