ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Re: OT: Restaurant/Food/Beer Discussion 

Post#321 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

GrendonJennings wrote:Anyone ever eat at Trattoria Stefano in Sheboygan? On the pricier side, but I thought it was damn good. They sen the wait staff for training in Italy, etc.

Yep, I actually live in Sheboygan so I've been there a few times. The prices are definitely up there but they serve pretty generous portions in my experience. It's pretty widely regarded as one of the best places to eat in Sheboygan.

Stefano actually owns 3 other places in Sheboygan within a square mile or two that are all really good as well. Il Ritrovo(fancy true Italian style pizza place), Field to Fork(combination café and grocery with local and organic meats and produce), and The Duke of Devon(English Pub style). He's slowly taking over downtown but Trattoria Stefano is by far his best restaurant. :)
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#322 » by Wilford Brimley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:28 pm

anyone ever been to nessun dorma in riverwest? going there tonight.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#323 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 pm

At some point, I may have to grow up and not have cereal and Subway (Man, there chipotle chicken footlong of the month was amazing) for 90% of my meals. So I decided to see if any of you have go to recipes.

Typical younger guy who loves animals and wants to limit dishes/clean-up. The length of time doesn't bother me as much as work involved. If I can throw it in the oven for 45 minutes while only taking 5 to prepare, I'm good with that. My new go-to "make dinner for the lady" recipe is the roasted salmon and sweet potato cooked in a skillet. Was amazingly simple and delicious with only 1 dish to clean up.

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/17/me ... t-recipes/

Any suggestions to add to my arsenal?
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#324 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Feb 1, 2013 12:22 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:At some point, I may have to grow up and not have cereal and Subway (Man, there chipotle chicken footlong of the month was amazing) for 90% of my meals. So I decided to see if any of you have go to recipes.

Typical younger guy who loves animals and wants to limit dishes/clean-up. The length of time doesn't bother me as much as work involved. If I can throw it in the oven for 45 minutes while only taking 5 to prepare, I'm good with that. My new go-to "make dinner for the lady" recipe is the roasted salmon and sweet potato cooked in a skillet. Was amazingly simple and delicious with only 1 dish to clean up.

Buy a slow cooker is my number one tip for you. It will be your best friend. You just dump everything in before you go to work and it's delicious and ready to eat when you get home. Check this out.
http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/slow-cooker-recipes
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#325 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Feb 1, 2013 1:54 am

Recently Kirby Nelson recently left Capital Brewery to start a new brewery called Wisconsin Brewing Company and a brewer named Brain Destree took over at Capitol. I'm interested to see what Capitol will look like with a new brewer. Kirby has always been very stubborn and flat out refused to brew hoppy beers even after grudgingly accepting the success of the US Pale Ale. Other than their awesome bocks their lineup became stale and I would generally walk right by it without evening looking.

Destree was an assistant brewer at the Milwaukee Leinenkugel's brewing facility (not exactly an encouraging resume, but who knows) who was chosen as Capitol's new main brewer. I ran across one of their new bombers today called Jacked Maibock and decided to pick it up so I could give the new guy a tryout. While I generally hate the idea of bombers (expensive!) I have to admit that I will be picking this up again. There aren't many great Maibocks out there, but this is one is near the top of the class.

Maybe I'll have to start looking at Capitol again but at least I won't have to waste my time looking at Wisconsin Brewing Company's offerings. Kirby gonna Kirby.
FireStreetlifeNow
Pro Prospect
And1: 101
Location: At a brewpub somewhere in SE Wisconsin or SW Michigan

Post#326 » by FireStreetlifeNow » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:22 am

Ill-yasova wrote:Recently Kirby Nelson recently left Capital Brewery to start a new brewery called Wisconsin Brewing Company and a brewer named Brain Destree took over at Capitol. I'm interested to see what Capitol will look like with a new brewer. Kirby has always been very stubborn and flat out refused to brew hoppy beers even after grudgingly accepting the success of the US Pale Ale. Other than their awesome bocks their lineup became stale and I would generally walk right by it without evening looking.

Destree was an assistant brewer at the Milwaukee Leinenkugel's brewing facility (not exactly an encouraging resume, but who knows) who was chosen as Capitol's new main brewer. I ran across one of their new bombers today called Jacked Maibock and decided to pick it up so I could give the new guy a tryout. While I generally hate the idea of bombers (expensive!) I have to admit that I will be picking this up again. There aren't many great Maibocks out there, but this is one is near the top of the class.

Maybe I'll have to start looking at Capitol again but at least I won't have to waste my time looking at Wisconsin Brewing Company's offerings. Kirby gonna Kirby.

Wisconsin Brewing is going to open producing more barrels per year than New Glarus and I'm guessing they will be very lager-centric and won't have many hoppy beers and will probably focus on dopplebocks again. I'm sure I'll walk right by them while picking up a four pack of O'so Lupulin Maximus, Central Waters Illumination or Tyranena Hop Whore.

I like Capitols dopplebocks, especially Autumnal Fire but lately they've been bland/boring with Wild Rice, Tettnang, Hop Cream and Manometer. Capital's new brewer came out with a draft-only pumpkin beer that was good and this years Eternal Flame is 90% Jacked Maibock and 10% last years batch. I'm pretty sure they said the next beer in bombers will be their first ever IPA. Speaking of bombers, I agree they are generally pretty spendy for what you get, but Laguntias, Bear Republic and a few others still are decent deals. Of course I type about spendy bombers will I'm enjoying close to a $3 HopSlam.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,148

Post#327 » by KidA24 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:34 am

Ill-yasova wrote:Destree was an assistant brewer at the Milwaukee Leinenkugel's brewing facility (not exactly an encouraging resume, but who knows) who was chosen as Capitol's new main brewer. I ran across one of their new bombers today called Jacked Maibock and decided to pick it up so I could give the new guy a tryout. While I generally hate the idea of bombers (expensive!) I have to admit that I will be picking this up again. There aren't many great Maibocks out there, but this is one is near the top of the class.

The Milwaukee Leinie's brewery is where they do all their Big Eddy brews -- it's a lot more specialty than the Brewery up in Chippewa Falls. They also do a lot of Honeyweiss, but, don't go knocking their beers until you've had the Russian Imperial this year. So good.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#328 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:42 am

I picked up a case of Hopslam last week. Some things are worth the extra cash IMO. Also, I actually think the IPA is going to be a year-round offering (Gasps at Capitol).

All four of those beers you named that came out recently generally tasted exactly the same. It was like he was trying to be edgy without using barrels or hops and fell into a weird rice-centered rut. I know the new brewery will have the capacity to brew more than any other brewery in the state (Ale Asylum?) but i wonder if they will ever have the support to fill that kind of space. Capitol cruised by on name for years but I don't think the new incarnation will have the same luxury. Kirby always took a lot of pride in his classic German style lagers, but I haven't had a German style beer from Capitol that New Glarus didn't do better. Hometown Blonde, Two Women, Staghorn, and Dancing Man all greatly outperform their Capitol counterparts.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#329 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:43 am

KidA24 wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:Destree was an assistant brewer at the Milwaukee Leinenkugel's brewing facility (not exactly an encouraging resume, but who knows) who was chosen as Capitol's new main brewer. I ran across one of their new bombers today called Jacked Maibock and decided to pick it up so I could give the new guy a tryout. While I generally hate the idea of bombers (expensive!) I have to admit that I will be picking this up again. There aren't many great Maibocks out there, but this is one is near the top of the class.

The Milwaukee Leinie's brewery is where they do all their Big Eddy brews -- it's a lot more specialty than the Brewery up in Chippewa Falls. They also do a lot of Honeyweiss, but, don't go knocking their beers until you've had the Russian Imperial this year. So good.

That's fair. I haven't had any of the Big Eddy series, but I've heard a few good things about it. They're just kind of hard to buy when they cost two dollars more than NG's 4 packs right next to them.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#330 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:43 am

Double post
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#331 » by raysbookclub » Fri Feb 1, 2013 3:42 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:At some point, I may have to grow up and not have cereal and Subway (Man, there chipotle chicken footlong of the month was amazing) for 90% of my meals. So I decided to see if any of you have go to recipes.

Buy a slow cooker is my number one tip for you. It will be your best friend. You just dump everything in before you go to work and it's delicious and ready to eat when you get home. Check this out.
http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/slow-cooker-recipes

Second the slow cooker. Exactly like Illyasova said, just dump everything in when you leave and it's ready when you're back. Chili is great with a slow cooker, though you do have to brown the beef first if you want beef. Another thing i've done is stick a whole chicken in there, with some broth and maybe some marinade/bbqsauce, and when you get home you can just pull the meat off, stick it in a bun for a pulled chicken sandwich. Really moist and soft, you can add sauce too.

I'd also recommend learning to make some salads. If you want no-prep meat in there, you can get frozen chicken strips or canned tuna. You can keep stuff to upgrade the salad around, like dried figs or dried cranberries in those ziplocked bags they sell them in, or canned mandarin oranges. Some soft cheese like goat or feta in the fridge, they keep for a while. You can buy a dressing at the grocery store, but it's not too hard to make a simple dressing yourself. You can try out some olive oils and vinegars in some specialty shops; it's worth it if you get around to it, and it might be a fun thing to do with a girl, oil-vinegar tasting. The only thing you have to buy fresh is the greens and maybe fruit if you want fruit in there. Anyway, it's not too much work to be able to make a good salad--and just one big bowl to clean. And nice to make for a date.

One more suggestion while i'm on a roll, look for some sandwich recipes. A loaf of bread, deli meat, some produce like tomatoes or cucumbers or better yet avocado or apples, hummus, a jar of mayo, mustard, big bag of chips--they'll go a long way, more cost effective for sure than $5 footlongs every day. And though it's not a knock-your-socks-off dinner for a date, it's a nice-but-no-big-whoop lunch for a girl. Pair it with a salad and some soup, and that's a nice little lunch to offer.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#332 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:55 am

Anyone with any recommendations for a good lunch spot in Brookfield? I have some friends driving in from Madison and we've agreed to meet up in Brookfield on Sunday.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#333 » by trwi7 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 5:43 am

You better go to Marty's.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#334 » by Buck You » Fri Feb 1, 2013 5:43 am

Ill-yasova wrote:That's fair. I haven't had any of the Big Eddy series, but I've heard a few good things about it. They're just kind of hard to buy when they cost two dollars more than NG's 4 packs right next to them.

Big Eddy Imperial IPA is really, really good.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#335 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 1, 2013 5:50 am

trwi7 wrote:You better go to Marty's.

I've heard good things about Marty's.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#336 » by Wilford Brimley » Fri Feb 1, 2013 5:58 am

Wilford Brimley wrote:anyone ever been to nessun dorma in riverwest? going there tonight.

if anyone cares, it is a nice place.

ordered the mushroom sandwich SO GOOD
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#337 » by chuckleslove » Fri Feb 1, 2013 6:07 am

humanrefutation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:You better go to Marty's.

I've heard good things about Marty's.

I've heard the one in Delafield is better, I like Marty's but it is just okay to me. A must have in Brookfield is Kopps for burger/custard. Marty's wouldn't be the worst thing you could do though, I really do like their mostaccioli with Italian sausage and add the mozzarella, they put about half an inch of solid melted cheese on top and it is a really delicious high quality mozzarella.

Kopps flavors on Sunday:

Super Bowl Of Custard
Chocolate custard with a rum caramel swirl, chocolate covered peanuts, chocolate chips and roasted almonds

Red Velvet Cake
We are still uncertain as to the origin of this rich and delicious cake with it’s dark red coloring. Some say it originated in the south and others are giving credit to the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York. The passion of this renowned dessert has now moved to the Midwest where Kopp’s will again revive it’s popularity.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#338 » by stellation » Fri Feb 1, 2013 8:29 am

For lunch at work today I stepped out to a groovy little bar that's not far from us, had an awesome roll that was slow roast lamb shoulder (so much flavour in that cut) with some tangy, tangy tatziki and rocket and a scraping of a roast tomato sauce on the roll (with a slide of crispy, pan fried new potatoes)... anyway washed it down with a Rogue Juniper Pale Ale (well a couple, actually) and I have to say that you American fatties cats can brew a mean beer.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#339 » by Jez2983 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 10:23 am

stellation wrote:For lunch at work today I stepped out to a groovy little bar that's not far from us, had an awesome roll that was slow roast lamb shoulder (so much flavour in that cut) with some tangy, tangy tatziki and rocket and a scraping of a roast tomato sauce on the roll (with a slide of crispy, pan fried new potatoes)... anyway washed it down with a Rogue Juniper Pale Ale (well a couple, actually) and I have to say that you American fatties cats can brew a mean beer.

Rogue is like good at everything. Very happy you can get it in a lot of places in Australia now. I remember reading a World Brewing Championship Award list and seeing all this American Beer and thinking that they shouldn't win as Bud and Miller Export were crap :lol:

You Wisconsinites don't know how good you have it as well. $20+ for a decent craft brew 6-er. Some of the imported bombers are $20+ each. These days it's basically a 1:1 conversion Au:US as well...
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#340 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:12 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
stellation wrote:For lunch at work today I stepped out to a groovy little bar that's not far from us, had an awesome roll that was slow roast lamb shoulder (so much flavour in that cut) with some tangy, tangy tatziki and rocket and a scraping of a roast tomato sauce on the roll (with a slide of crispy, pan fried new potatoes)... anyway washed it down with a Rogue Juniper Pale Ale (well a couple, actually) and I have to say that you American fatties cats can brew a mean beer.

Rogue is like good at everything. Very happy you can get it in a lot of places in Australia now. I remember reading a World Brewing Championship Award list and seeing all this American Beer and thinking that they shouldn't win as Bud and Miller Export were crap :lol:

You Wisconsinites don't know how good you have it as well. $20+ for a decent craft brew 6-er. Some of the imported bombers are $20+ each. These days it's basically a 1:1 conversion Au:US as well...

Yikes. Time for you to open a brewery and reap the benefits of this supply and demand imbalance.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks