Iverson declines D League offer

Moderator: Parliament10

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Iverson declines D League offer 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Allen Iverson wrote on Twitter that he has declined an invitation to join the D-League's Texas Legends.

The Legends have been pursuing Iverson throughout the season.

"I thank Donnie (Nelson) and Dallas for the consideration and while I think the D-League is a great opportunity, it is not the route for me," wrote Iverson.

"I realize my actions contributed to my early departure from the NBA, should God provide me another opportunity I will give it my all," Iverson continued.

Iverson's post was his first in 57 days.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... reer_Early

Thoughts?

Having seen how he played in Turkey (and he hasn't played professionally since then), I do not know if he would receive major minutes on most D League squads aside from the obvious ploy to get fans to the games.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Re: Iverson declines D League offer 

Post#2 » by Devin 1L » Fri Feb 1, 2013 1:10 am

jman3134 wrote:
Allen Iverson wrote on Twitter that he has declined an invitation to join the D-League's Texas Legends.

The Legends have been pursuing Iverson throughout the season.

"I thank Donnie (Nelson) and Dallas for the consideration and while I think the D-League is a great opportunity, it is not the route for me," wrote Iverson.

"I realize my actions contributed to my early departure from the NBA, should God provide me another opportunity I will give it my all," Iverson continued.

Iverson's post was his first in 57 days.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... reer_Early

Thoughts?

Having seen how he played in Turkey (and he hasn't played professionally since then), I do not know if he would receive major minutes on most D League squads aside from the obvious ploy to get fans to the games.

Honestly, I think he'd get a ton of playing time in the D-League. With pretty much any team.

He's one of the most famous NBA players of the last 20 years, and a name that everyone is still very familiar with. He'd be the biggest name to ever play in the D-League, and would be a huge draw at all of these D-League venues where people otherwise might have never got an opportunity to see Iverson in person.

I don't think he'd cut it in the NBA, but I think he'd do quite well in the D-League.

Ugh.

Allen, this IS another opportunity.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 1:52 am

Yeah, but did you see him at all in Turkey? He was beyond washed up. He couldn't hit anything and he was so much slower. If he were to play in the D League, I think it would be more for fan draw than anything. If he wants to prove himself, this opportunity is staring him right in the face. At the very least, he can make some money and maybe drum up some support for an NBA team to bring him in. Sitting around doing nothing will get him no where.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Devin 1L » Sat Feb 2, 2013 3:31 pm

jman3134 wrote:Yeah, but did you see him at all in Turkey? He was beyond washed up.

No, I didn't. I just assumed he couldn't have dropped off that much by now, but maybe he has.

He couldn't hit anything and he was so much slower. If he were to play in the D League, I think it would be more for fan draw than anything. If he wants to prove himself, this opportunity is staring him right in the face. At the very least, he can make some money and maybe drum up some support for an NBA team to bring him in. Sitting around doing nothing will get him no where.
[/quote]

Agreed.
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#5 » by willywazza » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:53 am

Pride...
Amen316
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#6 » by Amen316 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 am

D-League pays $22,000 per year probably not what Iverson was thinking of when dreaming of a comeback.
Strange Clouds
Banned User
And1: 222

Post#7 » by Strange Clouds » Fri Aug 2, 2013 8:09 am

Amen316 wrote:D-League pays $22,000 per year probably not what Iverson was thinking of when dreaming of a comeback.

That's really all they pay? Even the top players? wow
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Post#8 » by JazzUte88 » Sat Aug 3, 2013 8:20 am

Strange Clouds wrote:
Amen316 wrote:D-League pays $22,000 per year probably not what Iverson was thinking of when dreaming of a comeback.

$12,000 to $24,000 with I believe paid housing & per diem.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Devin 1L » Sun Aug 4, 2013 1:06 am

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:
Strange Clouds wrote:

$12,000 to $24,000 with I believe paid housing & per diem.

Yeah, housing and per diem.

Also, to add a little clarity, I'm pretty sure their salary is simply one of three different set salaries on the scale. I don't recall exactly, but going with the range posted above, which seems about right, the three amounts are something like 12k, 18k or 24k, give or take.
Strange Clouds
Banned User
And1: 222

Post#10 » by Strange Clouds » Sun Aug 4, 2013 8:23 am

I guess that's still not bad though, considering playing basketball for it and all.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Devin 1L » Sun Aug 4, 2013 5:14 pm

Strange Clouds wrote:I guess that's still not bad though, considering playing basketball for it and all.

Yeah, and only playing part of the year.

And most aren't really doing this for the current dollars (they can make more elsewhere,) but for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#12 » by RJM » Sun Dec 1, 2013 8:13 pm

This didn't make any sense. How does one say that God will provide another opportunity, then decide to retire? Is it a pride thing to where Iverson didn't want to give Cuban a call later on? I'm sure Mark would have been open to signing him again. It's the D-League.

Return to G League