ImageImageImageImageImage

The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,868

Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#681 » by TGW » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm still in favor of bringing in Nate McMillian. I thought he was unfairly fired in Portland, and he did a good job despite losing his two best players to injuries (Roy and Oden).
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#682 » by B-easy » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:53 pm

I think the coaching staff might be a bigger problem than EG.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#683 » by mohammed10 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 3:26 pm

B-easy wrote:I think the coaching staff might be a bigger problem than EG.

But the ownership issue has both of those trumped. Terd is a spin doctor of the highest order
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#684 » by Nivek » Fri Feb 1, 2013 3:43 pm

payitforward wrote:Finally, if he were humble, he wouldn't have his son heading up "advanced analytics" or "advanced statistics" or whatever it is; he'd have someone with a resume in the field. Again, he think there's nothing to this stuff and that he's been stymied by *chance* rather than by his and his FO's ineptitude.

In my blog post, I didn't address his "Ph.Ds all over the place" line, but... I know they collect a lot of information. I know that a lot of the information they collect is good data. The issue is what they do with it. The essential part is not collecting data, it's having good analysts. Having information overload can be detrimental, especially if the decision-maker doesn't really understand what the information is saying. What can end up happening is that the decision-maker seizes on one particular piece of info -- one data point -- to the exclusion of others. And/or the decision-maker can end up going with his "gut" because there's some much "data" that he can't make sense of it.

I don't know if that's what's happening with Grunfeld. I do have a little experience doing data work with the front office, and I could very easily see this happening with their decision-making group because of their overall approach to numbers and statistical analysis.

Having lots of Ph.Ds around may be a good thing...if they're skilled at interpreting data, determining what it's actually saying, and then communicating it coherently and effectively. There are plenty of smart-as-hell Ph.Ds that struggle with that -- especially the communication part of it.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#685 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:01 pm

Nivek wrote:Over at the blog, I wrote this response to the Leonsis Q&A on WTOP.

It still makes me very sad when I think of the lineup this team could have put together this year:

PG Wall/Price
SG Harden/Crawford
SF Webster/Crowder
PF Anderson/Booker
C Nene/Seraphin/Haywood
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#686 » by Upper Decker » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:19 pm

It is amazingly gratifying that both the Caps and Wiz have the worst records in their respective leagues--well after tonight that'll be the case because it's incredibly unlikely the Wiz beat the Griz in Memphis. I don't know how this isn't gaining more traction locally or nationally. This is a relatively historic moment. I doubt a pro sports owner has ever had the worst professional team in two sports leagues before. For all the crap people pile on Snyder, Ted is a much worse owner.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#687 » by miller31time » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:28 pm

It's just so frustrating. Ted was supposed to be the beacon of light. The guy who comes in and saves the team from the piss-poor management of the last regime.

If I were a conservative, I'd directly compare this to the current political process.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#688 » by Jay81 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:32 pm

Upper Decker wrote:It is amazingly gratifying that both the Caps and Wiz have the worst records in their respective leagues--well after tonight that'll be the case because it's incredibly unlikely the Wiz beat the Griz in Memphis. I don't know how this isn't gaining more traction locally or nationally. This is a relatively historic moment. I doubt a pro sports owner has ever had the worst professional team in two sports leagues before. For all the crap people pile on Snyder, Ted is a much worse owner.

dont forget his mystics which may be the worst run sports franchise in sports history
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#689 » by miller31time » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:35 pm

Jay81 wrote:
Upper Decker wrote:It is amazingly gratifying that both the Caps and Wiz have the worst records in their respective leagues--well after tonight that'll be the case because it's incredibly unlikely the Wiz beat the Griz in Memphis. I don't know how this isn't gaining more traction locally or nationally. This is a relatively historic moment. I doubt a pro sports owner has ever had the worst professional team in two sports leagues before. For all the crap people pile on Snyder, Ted is a much worse owner.

dont forget his mystics which may be the worst run sports franchise in sports history

:lol:

Almost forgot about them. Yup, they finished with the worst record in the WNBA last season, and in a 3-player Draft, somehow got the 4th overall pick. Good lord...
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#690 » by mohammed10 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 8:40 pm

miller31time wrote:It's just so frustrating. Ted was supposed to be the beacon of light. The guy who comes in and saves the team from the piss-poor management of the last regime.

If I were a conservative, I'd directly compare this to the current political process.

miller - meet the new boss, same as the old boss (just younger and possibly more inept)
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#691 » by montestewart » Fri Feb 1, 2013 8:47 pm

miller31time wrote:It's just so frustrating. Ted was supposed to be the beacon of light. The guy who comes in and saves the team from the piss-poor management of the last regime.

You're on, Popper.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#692 » by Higga » Fri Feb 1, 2013 9:15 pm

Ted talked a bunch of junk when his Caps were the "gold standard" franchise in D.C. Fast forward a few years and it's amazing how fast things have turned. The non owned Ted teams in D.C. are both looking great, while the Ted teams are the worst in their leagues.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#693 » by closg00 » Sun Feb 3, 2013 3:14 am

Ted is 100% under the spell of Ernie Grunfeld, when Ted speaks, I hear Ernie whispering in his ear. Read Kevin"s excellent piece and you will be convinced that the Wizards franchise is doomed with Dum & Dummer in-charge.
http://broomonthewarpath.sportsblog.com ... zards.html
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#694 » by FAH1223 » Sun Feb 3, 2013 4:51 am

Higga wrote:Ted talked a bunch of junk when his Caps were the "gold standard" franchise in D.C. Fast forward a few years and it's amazing how fast things have turned. The non owned Ted teams in D.C. are both looking great, while the Ted teams are the worst in their leagues.

Shows that if you aren't getting better, you're getting worse.
leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Post#695 » by leswizards » Sun Feb 3, 2013 3:17 pm

Nivek wrote:Over at the blog, I wrote this response to the Leonsis Q&A on WTOP.

A quote from Ted Leonsis taken from Kevin's blog:
"And the fans, they're bottom-line oriented. They want you to win."

While I agree that fans want to win, I disagree with the notion that they are bottom lined oriented. If that were the case, no one would ever be a Wizards' fan.

An executive for the Los Angeles Clippers is alleged to once have said "teams sell one of two things: success or hope". Right now, the Wizards are selling neither. That is the problem with the injury excuse. The Wizards problems run deeper than injuries, and for us as fans to have hope that success is around the corner, we need to have faith that the Wizards' front office understand that the problems run deeper than injuries, and are taking steps to correct those problems.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,868

Post#696 » by TGW » Sun Feb 3, 2013 4:36 pm

Ted's latest post is about injuries. Same old excuses...
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#697 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 3, 2013 9:04 pm

The problem with his excuse is Nene had injuries with Denver.

Ted got suckered IMO by Denver's GM. They waited right up to the trade deadline to make the deal with EG and Ted. Denver had "buyer's remorse". The only reason they would re-sign Nene and trade him so quickly is that the guy stays hurt. Nene began experiencing foot problems months before he became a Wizard, but after he signed the deal with Denver. Ted using injuries as an excuse does not seem to be able to reconcile that he acquired that likelihood.

Ted acquired Okafor as Emeka was coming off his worst season ever, many missed games, and downward career production numbers. That gamble is paying off some, as Okafor is putting up better numbers than he has in years. In this case a player is NOT injured.

Beal's injury should not derail a team with him being 19 years old.
Bye bye Beal.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#698 » by Illuminaire » Sun Feb 3, 2013 9:12 pm

Emeka is also a high-injury risk threat. He's playing great now, but he's had a bad back since college. He can go down any time.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#699 » by montestewart » Sun Feb 3, 2013 9:26 pm

Illuminaire wrote:Emeka is also a high-injury risk threat. He's playing great now, but he's had a bad back since college. He can go down any time.

If Okafor played out the two years here at the level he's playing right now, and Nene played at the level he was playing when he got here and earlier this season for most of his contract, and neither suffered appreciable lost time due to injuries, Terd and Ernie would deserve credit for taking a risk and winning. The moves might have hindered maneuverability, but the players came through.

For now, I'll give them credit for Okafor, because he's more than I expected, but they want credit for Okafor without accountability for Nene being injured. He arrived injured, he'd lost time to injury last season with Denver, prior to the trade, he's lost significant time to injury in prior seasons, and he despite that, he was allowed to play in the Olympics. Nene's health issues didn't just fall from the sky. That's on Terd and Ernie.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#700 » by Illuminaire » Sun Feb 3, 2013 11:11 pm

That's a fair statement, Monte. I agree. They can have credit for Okafor - IF they take proper responsibility for Nene. But they can't have on without the other.

Return to Washington Wizards