ImageImage

Brandon Jennings Leaving His Agent?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,551

Re: Brandon Jennings Leaving His Agent? 

Post#21 » by blazza18 » Tue Feb 5, 2013 3:37 am

Lets hope his new agent gets him a deal we wont match.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#22 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Feb 5, 2013 6:22 am

All this means is that the Bucks are likely ponying up even more than necessary to keep him.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#23 » by jr lucosa » Tue Feb 5, 2013 7:15 am

emunney wrote:If Schwartz's goal is to push BJ toward a larger market in search of endorsement money, that's only going to constrict the market for him. He's not dumb and won't do that with a RFA.

Yeah I don't see this as a move to get BJ out of Milwaukee, he may just have not liked the way Duffy was handling negotiations, or who knows really. I don't see this as extremely good or bad news though, I don't think it changes things too much.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#24 » by Sigra » Tue Feb 5, 2013 8:32 am

Nebula1 wrote:L&H up in here?

His team again have superstar so he can talk from above again. He was not going to participate until then. He was nowhere to be find between LeBron and Irving. Not even at his home forum :D
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,731

Post#25 » by DanoMac » Tue Feb 5, 2013 10:32 am

Nebula1 wrote:L&H up in here?

Round 2
galena
Junior
And1: 62

Post#26 » by galena » Tue Feb 5, 2013 11:38 am

emunney wrote:I will say that it's a slap in the face to Duffy to switch agents right before he signs his big contract.

Sure is. Now if Duffy did something incompetent or wronged him in some way, sure BJ go ahead and switch agents. But my guess is BJ just liked how Schwartz stroked his ego, no pun intended. :lol: BJ obviously thinks he is way better than he really is, and maybe Schwartz was a better liar than Duffy. I also wonder if being left off the all-star team had anything to do with this. I could see him using Duffy as a scapegoat, when really the one to blame is Brandon and his lack of playmaking ability and poor fg%.

Brandon's got some talent and could maybe become a borderline all-star type player on a consistent basis. I don't think he ever becomes as good as he thinks he is. He seems to have a lack of consistent focus- to the point of being lazy almost. Sure, he'll get up for the big games, but often sleepwalks against the more meager opponents. Although lately, he has not performed well against the good teams (lakers game, end of heat game when lebron checked him, even when Nate the Great wrecked him last Bull's game). But mostly, I just don't really like him.

He's a whiney lil B

If you can get anything of value for him i say trade him. Of course, the chances of that happening are about one in a million. Cue Dumb and Dumber scene.
"I guess..."
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,058

Post#27 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Feb 5, 2013 2:02 pm

I really don't know what this means, if anything. I'm guessing either way BJ3 is going to be facinated with the large markets. But I don't know how many will even be interested. Alot of the bigger markets have their own cap issues and/or are set at PG. Any team with legit championship aspirations won't sign him to be a SG. BJ3 isn't going to sign somewhere to be a 6th man either.

Of the top 10 markets, Dallas is about the only 1 that may be a possibility. Maybe Atlanta if they strike out on Chris Paul. Otherwise NYK, NETS, LAL, LAC, GSW, PHIL, CHI, HOU, BOST, WASH are all set at PG or have a cap issues. The trendy markets also are set or have cap issues, like Miami. Phoenix may be a sleeper but they have alot of cash invested in that Dragic.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,618

Post#28 » by emunney » Tue Feb 5, 2013 2:11 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:If it's true that this guy is one of those "big-market endorsement" honchos, then I could see him talking Jennings into accepting the qualifying offer in order to be an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

No franchise players accept the qualifying offer that I recall. Not even borderline franchise players or future repeat all-stars. It caters to players who really, truly overestimate their own ability and worth, who think that the team that drafted them just doesn't appreciate them and is blind to their value as a franchise player. Players who think that their value as a franchise player "goes without saying" and believe that the only reason they weren't offered a lucrative extension is because someone in their team's front office has a vendetta against them. It caters to the type of vanity that is extraordinary even for a former NBA lotto pick, and I think Brandon fits that description to a T.

This seems like it should be true, but in reality, before last summer, 14 players had ever accepted the qualifying offer. None of them were Schwartz clients that I'm aware of (ETA: Belinelli). The pattern isn't necessarily that they have vastly inflated self-worths. It's just that they weren't able to garner worthwhile offer sheets. Remember that teams are constrained by the types of offers they can make in RFA. A team isn't necessarily going to want to offer Luke Harangody, for example, a three year contract.

Here's a good blog post including all 14 players and the contract they got after the QO year.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/play ... ffers.html

I think when you look at the above list, there are a few guys who probably fit into your description (Nick Young). Then there are two guys who actually were getting low-balled (Ben Gordon, Nesterovic). For the rest of the guys, I'd guess that the QO was probably just the best offer they got. If the offer is pretty close in terms of dollars/year, I'd bet most people would gamble on themselves and become a UFA the next year.

Ultimately, I don't think Jennings is going to fit into any of these categories, because I think the Bucks will make a strong enough offer up front to take both the Ben Gordon and Nick Young scenarios off the table. The only way I think he takes the QO is if he has a serious injury that carries into FA and depresses his value.

ETA: In the interest of being complete, I've been trying to find guys who accepted the QO last offseason that weren't included on the above list. Ivan Johnson, Darius Morris and Devin Ebanks is what I found.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,058

Post#29 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Feb 5, 2013 3:13 pm

I also don't think he takes the QO barring injury. If he REALLY wanted to leave Milwaukee, then maybe, but he doesn't seem to not like it here. I know its a small market but he is the face of the franchise here pretty much and he won't have that in any larger market really. I do think he enjoys being "the guy".

Return to Milwaukee Bucks