Ridnour "being shopped"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Ridnour "being shopped" 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:40 pm

Luke Ridnour is being shopped by the Minnesota Timberwolves, and a league source told SheridanHoops.com “there is a good chance” the 10th-year point guard will be dealt before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

With Ricky Rubio back from an injury that wiped out the first half of his season, the T-Wolves have a glut at the position with J.J. Berea also under contract (for this season plus two more). Ridnour has a reasonable contract ($4 million this season, $4.3 million next season) and is a steady playmaker who has spent the majority of his career with bad teams, having appeared in the playoffs just twice.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/02/07 ... by-wolves/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Re: Ridnour "being shopped" 

Post#2 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:44 pm

I'm shocked.

Boston for Lee seems like a doable trade for both teams.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#3 » by Wolf_Cry » Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:49 pm

This also explains why Ridnour has started against Kobe/Green/etc. or anyone who has 5 inches on him. I feel bad for Luke. He is a great person and gives his best effort. I really would like him as a back up PG, especially if you have a player like Rubio who cannot spread the floor with his shooting. Oh well.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:56 pm

I know some posters here don't like Luke *cough*Vindicater*cough* but I've always thought he has been the consumate professional and a good vet presence on the team. He's been asked to do way more than he should have and play out of position his whole tenure here and he never complains - and he plays through injuries. He is not a SG, though, and this team desparately needs a SG with some size, not 3 PGs.
teamwillow
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#5 » by teamwillow » Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:24 pm

Sad day if this happens :(
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#6 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:31 pm

They mentioned we've talked to Utah about a Ridnour for Burks deal? Yes I'd do that...has Burks value really dropped that much? I think he'd be a nice fit here as a ball-handling 2 guard off the bench at least.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#7 » by Vindicater » Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:42 pm

C.lupus wrote:I know some posters here don't like Luke *cough*Vindicater*cough* but I've always thought he has been the consumate professional and a good vet presence on the team. He's been asked to do way more than he should have and play out of position his whole tenure here and he never complains - and he plays through injuries. He is not a SG, though, and this team desparately needs a SG with some size, not 3 PGs.

I have never had a problem with his personality, professional attitude or effort level.

I have had an issue with the fact that he is a bad point guard either as a starter or as a backup.

I actually think he had his best stretch of usefulness when plugged in at shooting guard next to a fully fit Rubio because it made him a straight shooter instead of letting him handle the ball. Of course it also killed us defensively but at least that was only one side of the ball.

I for one am glad he will be moved. Barea (as annoying as he can be at times) is a much better fit as a backup point guard behind Rubio.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:47 pm

I didn't really mean to call you out Vindicater. You've just been the most vocal of the "trade Luke" crowd.

So is there a $9M SG on a relatively short contract that we could trade Ridnour and Roy for?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,383

Post#9 » by shrink » Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:59 pm

C.lupus wrote:So is there a $9M SG on a relatively short contract that we could trade Ridnour and Roy for?

$9 mil is just a weird figure. It's well over the MLE, but not in the star range. Players in this range are slightly better than the MLE, but have some size. SG's are generally rookies, MLE's, or stars. It might be better to look at the MLE range (like Courtney Lee)

Anyway, your search led to Rodney Stuckey ($8.5 for two years, second partially guaranteed for $4), and Beno Udrih ($8.3, expiring). I'm not interested in either at this price.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 7, 2013 9:04 pm

Hmm, yeah, me neither. I was just thinking that would open up another roster spot to keep Johnson. Maybe we can throw Amundson in with Ridnour, though he isn't really anything positive.

I keep coming back to Lee. He's not perfect and the length of his contract is not ideal but it seems like he could be available for Luke with Rondo out.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#11 » by theGreatRC » Thu Feb 7, 2013 9:23 pm

C.lupus wrote:I'm shocked.

Boston for Lee seems like a doable trade for both teams.

It's so simple that it would never happen.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Busch Legion
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#12 » by Busch Legion » Thu Feb 7, 2013 9:33 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:This also explains why Ridnour has started against Kobe/Green/etc. or anyone who has 5 inches on him. I feel bad for Luke. He is a great person and gives his best effort. I really would like him as a back up PG, especially if you have a player like Rubio who cannot spread the floor with his shooting. Oh well.

Agreed.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#13 » by [RCG] » Thu Feb 7, 2013 10:11 pm

Not a surprise. He is a steady, unspectacular back-up point guard. With Rubio coming into form and Barea being able to create for himself and provide a spark at times, Ridnour is the logical odd-man out.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#14 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Feb 7, 2013 10:42 pm

I'd rather trade Barea than Luke
bluethunder0005
Pro Prospect
And1: 153

Post#15 » by bluethunder0005 » Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:12 pm

Luke is a lot safer than Barea as a player regardless of starter or backup and that makes him a better trade piece. I love when Barea is on but more often than not he's a blackhole and inefficient on top of being no better of a defender than Luke is. I'm fine with Luke being traded but I'm not going to be excited about Barea being the sole backup with how injury prone he is.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,221

Post#16 » by Calinks » Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:51 pm

Luke is a pro in every sense. I like the guy and hope he lands on a good team where he can make a difference. Boston this year would put him in the playoffs.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Adenusi
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#17 » by Adenusi » Fri Feb 8, 2013 12:32 am

Like him as a person but not as a player.
Adenusi
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#18 » by Adenusi » Fri Feb 8, 2013 12:34 am

kmgarnett21 wrote:I'd rather trade Barea than Luke

Same
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#19 » by karch34 » Fri Feb 8, 2013 1:19 am

Both have their flaws, which is why their ideal role is back up. I think Luke is more consistent and the healthier player. He's also been durable and done whatever is asked of him. Barea is frustrating, but can be a spark. If you're basing it only on a limited role, I think it suits Barea. If its pressed into being a starter, it's probably Ridnour.

I'll trade whichever one gets the better return.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#20 » by Krapinsky » Fri Feb 8, 2013 1:22 am

Advanced stats say Barea >>> Ridnour and it's not even really close.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves