ImageImageImageImage

If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Who should they take?

Nerlens Noel
21%
Ben McLemore
23%
Shabazz Muhammad
15%
Marcus Smart
28%
Cody Zeller
1%
Otto Porter
1%
Anthony Bennett
4%
Other
7%

Total votes: 137

Orlando Prodigy
Senior
And1: 112

If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take? 

Post#1 » by Orlando Prodigy » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:18 am

As of now, who would you like to see in Blue and White?
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Re: If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take? 

Post#2 » by Viper1500 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:31 am

McLemore should be the majorities #1 choice

Followed by . . . . . Shabazz or Smart
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#3 » by arsenal6106 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:32 am

I guess this scenario is a real possibility now.

Shabazz acted like a clown last night. Not sure I want that on my team.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RuZv7snezw[/youtube]

I'm going with whatever this guy>>> Image thinks
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
Orlando Prodigy
Senior

Post#4 » by Orlando Prodigy » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:32 am

Viper1500 wrote:McLemore should be the majorities #1 choice

Ehhhh I agree...but if we got Nerlens I wouldn't complain at all. Gotta at least consider it if we got the #1 pick. But I want McLemore the most.
Orlando Prodigy
Senior

Post#5 » by Orlando Prodigy » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:34 am

arsenal6106 wrote:I guess this scenario is a real possibility now.

Shabazz acted like a clown last night. Not sure I want that on my team.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RuZv7snezw[/youtube]

I'm going with whatever this guy>>> Image thinks

I wouldn't put much stock in that. He's young. He's still a great scorer. Tons of potential if he can become more of a playmaker. My list goes: McLemore, Noel, Shabazz, then Smart
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#6 » by Tayswagzzz » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:36 am

I'd go with Shabazz or McLemore but honestly it IS whatever Hennigan thinks. This years draft scares me..lot of potential busts..no sure #1 pick..scary stuff lol.
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
Viper1500
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Viper1500 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:41 am

Orlando Prodigy wrote:
Viper1500 wrote:McLemore should be the majorities #1 choice

Ehhhh I agree...but if we got Nerlens I wouldn't complain at all. Gotta at least consider it if we got the #1 pick. But I want McLemore the most.

Noel has a sh*t ton of a potential, but that is all it really is.. I'd be scared picking him. He'll be a solid defensive playing no doubt, but this team needs some consistent scoring. Not another hole on the offensive end
Viper1500
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Viper1500 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:46 am

The ideal situation would be to trade either Redick or Afflalo for a pick in this year or next years draft and go for a PG. Jameer has been playing very well this season, so I wouldn't mind waiting one more year. He'll be an amazing mentor to whomever it is this organization drafts.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#9 » by Def Swami » Sat Feb 9, 2013 7:18 am

Marcus Smart or Ben McLemore. I lean towards Smart at the moment.
Redphilly
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#10 » by Redphilly » Sat Feb 9, 2013 9:32 am

Shabazz-Smart-McLemore
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#11 » by dsg2021 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 11:19 am

While Im leery of big men getting the 2-3 big contracts, I think Noel has to be #1 for us and see if Vuc can fit alongside him in a beastly Vuc-Noel-Nich trio of frontcourt bigs. He looks defensively ready to dominate which will give cover to the rest of the team, and could be a great garbage high fg% cleanup big.

I can't tell if Shabazz is Pierce or Harden like type crafty scoring or not, if true though, he'd be #1 after, or maybe even 1B to Noel.

McLemore is 2nd-3rd after Noel only, if Shabazz doesn't impress enough by the end of the season. Looks like the best athletic and stat favored prospect. Doesn't seem to create yet but he could fit so perfect in a contending team and potentially not blow us too far from a Wiggins gamble in 2014.

Smart is intriguing for the something like Lillard to happen again. MCW and Burke and Kabongo also are interesting and PG is needed.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#12 » by fendilim » Sat Feb 9, 2013 1:24 pm

I'd go with Noel or Gobert. Gives us an enforcer to team up with Vucevic. Noel and Gobert are also too raw to make a difference next year, thus setting up in a good position to for Wiggins and Co. in the 2014 draft. I think this would be ideal for us, if we pick Muhammad or Mclemore and we end up good enough to be a middle of the pack team in the East, we might be stuck in it for years. At least if we pick a raw talent like Noel or Gobert, we'd be stockpiling on assets and increase our chances of having a solid 1-2 punch inside and outside.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#13 » by KillMonger » Sat Feb 9, 2013 3:04 pm

It's Smart for me at this moment quite honestly but me i'm looking at things in terms of the team more than just the absolute best player available. To me our Point Guard situation is appalling Nelson while decent is racking up injuries and is not a spring chicken, Ish looks horrible and Moore is definitely not a point guard. Don't know if i can go another season without it being addressed. If we have the number 1 pick(which i doubt) though i'm not sure i would absolutely take Smart because since we only have 1 pick in the entire draft we have to make it count so everything has to be considered.

Noel is raw but he would be a great pick at number 1, he has a very high ceiling but my concern for him is that he's a little frail he has to change his body.

Mclemore to me i wouldn't like that pick at number 1, honestly i haven't watched him as much but from what people tell me he has great athleticism and great from range. The flipside of that is he can't create for himself if his points don't come in transition then most if not all his points are created for him. Save the Athleticism how is he any different from what Afflalo's bringing us? IDK maybe i have to do more research on him

Shabazz to me would be ok but i'm down on him even before his recent bitch-ass-ness demanding the ball at the end of that game and not celebrating with his teammates, that just screams DIVA. I digress, Shabazz looked great in high school when he was the most physically dominant player on the floor i mean he was a man among boys. In college now he's not as physically dominant and better competition has amplified some of his faults but don't get me wrong he's still playing good basketball.

Cody Zeller? No way, Vucci basically kills any reason to draft him

Now for me this is just preliminary thoughts on who we should be focusing on but honestly there is still some basketball left to be played in the NCAA, i want to see what some of these guys do on the March Madness stage when it's win or go home
Dgbarnes
Junior
And1: 196

Post#14 » by Dgbarnes » Sat Feb 9, 2013 4:12 pm

My vote goes for Anthony Bennett, I know he hasn't been mentioned much as far as a top 3 pick. He's got a post game, outside range, explosiveness, power, surprisingly nice handles for a big man. Watch some game tape on him, and tell me what you think.

I get the feeling he would pair greatly with Vuc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ4Ye1o6A68[/youtube]
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#15 » by BaunceyChillups » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:11 pm

Shabazz would be a waste of a lottery pick. He might be okay one day but he needs to realize that he's not that good right now and has to work on his game immensely.

Look at *how* he scores, he leaks out in transition every time the ball goes up and crashes the offensive glass as aggressively as possible instead of running back on defense. Thus far he hasn't shown that he can pass, dribble or defend well at the college level. He's averaging less than an assist per game, how does a wing do that?
MagicGirl
Junior
And1: 8

Post#16 » by MagicGirl » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:21 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:Marcus Smart or Ben McLemore. I lean towards Smart at the moment.

My thought as well. I equate the PG postion as the engine that fuels the team - tough to find a really good engine. Scorers are a bit easier to come by, so I rate McLemore 2nd, but his potential is definitely tantalizing.

I think the Magic would be happy with either selection.
magicfanejc42
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#17 » by magicfanejc42 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:23 pm

If we had first pick, I would go with McLemore if we had to pick. But I would look to trade down a few spots and pick up another first for 2014. If we traded down to 3/4/5/6 we would still get a solid player while stacking picks for a deeper draft.

Or heck, even try to pick up both first round picks from Charlotte.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#18 » by Def Swami » Sat Feb 9, 2013 6:52 pm

MagicGirl wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:Marcus Smart or Ben McLemore. I lean towards Smart at the moment.

My thought as well. I equate the PG postion as the engine that fuels the team - tough to find a really good engine. Scorers are a bit easier to come by, so I rate McLemore 2nd, but his potential is definitely tantalizing.

I think the Magic would be happy with either selection.

Smart just affects the game in so many more ways. Even though his shooting has been mediocre (his TS% is much better, he struggles from 3) he's still the best floor general in college ball. He racks up assists, gets his teammates easy shots and finds them in their comfort zones. He has the uncanny ability to see a play take place before it does. He's a big, physical guard that can finish and crash the boards. He plays the passing lanes well. And I'd bet that his 3 point shot comes along just well with more practice.

I don't have a whole lot against the other guys mentioned. I think McLemore, Muhammad, and Noel will all be good pro players. I just think Smart has the best upside and I think he'd fit our team dynamic the best. The other guys just seem too one-dimensional to me. He's going to be a great locker room guy and team leader. In my ideal world, I see it playing out like this in 2014:

M. Smart
A. Wiggins
M. Harkless
Free Agent
N. Vucevic

Smart's selfless nature and leadership qualities would fit very well on a team like that.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#19 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 8:09 pm

McLemore, Shabazz or Noel.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#20 » by dsg2021 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 10:05 pm

I would likewise strongly consider trading down if its for a highly or completely unprotected pick in 2014. Imagine if we could trade #1 or 2 with NY's 2014 1st rounder for #7, take Marcus Smart, and also take that lotto teams 2014 pick unprotected.

Return to Orlando Magic