ImageImageImage

Putting Together Rumors (MN-PHI-ATL)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

EddyCool
Rookie
And1: 16

Putting Together Rumors (MN-PHI-ATL) 

Post#1 » by EddyCool » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 am

Not big on posting trade ideas, but just thinking this wouldn't be such a bad way to approach the end of this season/going into next:

Rumors: 76ers exploring Evan Turner's value, Hawks want a young center for Josh Smith, Wolves not ready to commit $12+mm/year to Pekovic.

Hawks out:
Josh Smith
Anthony Marrow

Hawks in:
Nikola Pekovic
2 of Brandon Roy/JJ Barea/Luke Ridnour

76ers out:
Spencer Hawes
Evan Turner

76ers in:
Josh Smith

Wolves out:
Nikola Pekovic

Wolves in:
Spencer Hawes
Evan Turner
Anthony Marrow

Unorganized thoughts:
Pek's super cool and it's really fun to have him on the team, but the money that somebody's likely to give him is probably going to be a problem. Turner's got passing and a little corner 3 action, could look better with Adelman but not a sure thing. Can't imagine haggling over whether Roy/JJ/Luke are included would be a deal-breaker.

Hard to gauge the value of Hawes, how comfortable Philly would be starting Thaddeus Young (or Dorrell?) and Josh Smith (and Nick Young?!), how confident they are that Bynum's part of the team next year, do the Hawks like paying Pek more than they do Josh (but next to Horford...), Harris is working back in to the Hawks' rotation, how much are they looking to replace with Lou Williams not back until next year...

Would also complete the awesome image that somebody put together a few years ago with Kahn/Rambis/Turner in the classic ET bicycle scene, which is pretty much what I need to replace Peks' tattoos.
Nikola Pekovic wrote:I'd like to go back to the time they used swords. I think I'd be good with a sword.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Re: Putting Together Rumors (MN-PHI-ATL) 

Post#2 » by The J Rocka » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 am

This isn't cool, Eddy.

Quality > Quantity

Pek is a proven 26 year old starting caliber C (top 10 center) for Hawes (who is a backup C at best), Evan Turner (who is still finding his role in this league with low trade value now), and Morrow (a guy you can trade Ridnour/JJ for). You just don't trade a C like Pek for role players.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Post#3 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:09 am

Hawes is someone I've had my eyes on for awhile. He's young, and a PERFECT fit in Adelman's offense (something Pekovic is not). He also costs half of what Pek will.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
EddyCool
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#4 » by EddyCool » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:14 am

It definitely hinges on how you feel about Pek. I'm finding myself feeling more and more that he looks best as a beneficiary of Ricky, and less and less reliable as a guy to give the ball to to get a hoop in most any situation. He's a tough position (like, physical location position) defender, but guys with touch can get their shots over him. He's definitely a good offensive rebounder. Is that all worth what it's going to be offerend when he's a restricted FA? I'm expecting, no, but certainly won't blindly claim that I know how it'll play out.

Looking at it, though, I feel better tipping off next season with the idea around:

Rubio/Shved/(Luke or JJ)
Turner/Shved/Marrow/(Luke or JJ)
AK/Turner
Love/DW
Meh - Hawes/Stiemsma/CJ

than

Rubio/Luke/JJ/Shved
Luke/JJ/Shved
AK
Love/DW
Pek/Stiemsma/CJ

Lots of other things can happen, but when I think, "if Rubio went down, I'd rather have..." it's Turner/Hawes more than Pek. Marrow is a low-value guy considering this season, but it made 3s once and so I want it here. I'm worried that it'd be more difficult to add starting off-guard next to Ricky than to make do with Hawes as a your worst starter.

Klomp wrote:Hawes is someone I've had my eyes on for awhile. He's young, and a PERFECT fit in Adelman's offense (something Pekovic is not). He also costs half of what Pek will.

Totally. That's another thing - going into RFA for Pek, our money is going to be tied up right away (not sure what his cap-hold is, like $9 MM?), so we can't really chase Redick, and would wind up looking for MLE answers to the 3-ball/SG spot (is MLE even available the next year after using it?). That'd get, what? A guy like Marrow?
Nikola Pekovic wrote:I'd like to go back to the time they used swords. I think I'd be good with a sword.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#5 » by NikolaPekovic » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:22 am

None of those players fill a need for us.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:29 am

NikolaPekovic wrote:None of those players fill a need for us.

You're right, we have no need for a SG.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:31 am

EddyCool wrote:That's another thing - going into RFA for Pek, our money is going to be tied up right away (not sure what his cap-hold is, like $9 MM?), so we can't really chase Redick, and would wind up looking for MLE answers to the 3-ball/SG spot (is MLE even available the next year after using it?). That'd get, what? A guy like Marrow?

Pek's cap hold is 9.2m

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:32 am

At first I wasn't sure about Turner's fit with Ricky, but considering Adelman's use of two ball handlers, it may be a very good fit. He also has legit SG size.

NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#9 » by NikolaPekovic » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:34 am

Klomp wrote:
NikolaPekovic wrote:None of those players fill a need for us.

You're right, we have no need for a SG.

Oh i didnt see morrow. Hawes is a poor mans kevin love. evans cant shoot. great fits.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,979

Post#10 » by shrink » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Pekovic is more valuable than any of the players we're bringing in, but I'm not sure that would be true after he gets paid.

I love the idea of Spencer Hawes here, but I am not impressed at all with Evan Turner, and Morrow is an expiring.

It's an interesting idea EddyCool, and I'm on the fence, anxious to see how others break this down. Thanks for posting it.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#11 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:03 pm

It's not so bad. But I put zero chance that Kahn and even Adelman want to bring so many new average players. Why disrupt the chemistry in the locker room? I'm pretty sure this group will be given another chance to get healthy and gel.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#12 » by urinesane » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Gross.

Pek is worth more than that turd sandwich.
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#13 » by Peezo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 pm

I think Pek shows his value quite a bit with Ricky passing to him, I'll give you that. But he has also turned out to play well next to Love. Neither is great defensively, but what a dynamic pair on offense. They both battle for boards and can put up a combined 40 a night. Thats pretty good out of your starting bigs.

I'd rather have that second line-up you posted any day of the week. How about we try trading for Turner who is supposedly available (according to WT) instead of moving Pek if Turner fits so well? Could we do something around our first and Derrick? Maybe they aren't interested as their prospect is playing better, but I'd much rather explore something around that framework than this. Especially if we trade away Luke for the worst of the two Utah picks, then we a little more ammo and create a little more space (cap wise and to the rotation).

Ricky/JJ
Turner/Shved/Lee
Ak (re-sign)/Bud (re-sign)
Love/Cunningham
Pek/Stiemsma/CJ

Again, I'm not sure if that deal for Turner works, but I think that team has a much better chance to compete than one that starts Hawes.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#14 » by Peezo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Also assuming increases for Pek, AK, and a small deal for Bud, that team still isn't much more expensive than where we are now. It probably puts us roughly around the luxury tax, but I think we will end up there anyways if we want to keep players like Kirlenko and Pekovic.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:10 am

EddyCool wrote:Wolves out:
Nikola Pekovic

Wolves in:
Spencer Hawes
Evan Turner
Anthony Marrow

I had forgotten about this thread.

Just now I was thinking of Pek trade ideas, and was thinking of practically this exact trade. My thought was Pek/JJ for Hawes/Turner.

Why?
We get much younger, we get better fits in Adelman's offense, and we get contract situations delayed a year to when we have much more cap space to work with.

[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#16 » by [RCG] » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:21 am

But why would they trade for Pek when they have Bynum?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:31 am

[RCG] wrote:But why would they trade for Pek when they have Bynum?

Today's update:

Tom Moore‏@tmoorepburbs

#Sixers #Bynum having pain in left knee, 'not sure' if still can play this month.

He hasn't played a game for them this season and is a UFA. Their fans are fed up with him.

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#18 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 am

[RCG] wrote:But why would they trade for Pek when they have Bynum?

Sixers fan here, with each update Bynum gives it's seeming less likely to us that he will a) play at all this season and/or b) resign with us after the season, if we could get a Pek whom is around the age of Bynum, is a big whom has proven that he can rebound which we desperately need, and is physical than we could just resign him and cover our bases if Bynum does not. Believe Ridnour, since his contract is a year less than JJ's would be a tad more desirable to the Sixers and it seems the Wolves are shopping him, but that is neither here nor there.

In regards to trading Turner, he clashes with Doug Collins a lot and he seems to dislike playing here, when he is confident and you can see when he is in his body language he plays like an All Star, when he gets down in the dumps he plays like a total scrub so Adelman would have to deal with that, Collins seems to not want to. With Love and his rebounding Hawes' lack of a post presence won't matter as much, however on a team where the other front court player is either the most laid back player in the game in Lavoy Allen or an undersized tweener in Thad Young his deficiencies become extremely magnified, getting his contract off the books would benefit us.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,979

Post#19 » by shrink » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks for posting Corey! One of the reasons I spend so much time on RealGM is because we get the inside scoop on teams from fellow fans that know them best. Your info isn't the type of stuff that makes the national media, so thank you for taking the time to post!
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#20 » by Dewey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:23 pm

I'd prbably rather try to swap some of our own spit for Turner alone ... adds size as a utility player and he can handle the ball. The big quesion is how he'll be long-term "off the ball", but I think he'd be fine in combo with Rubio/Shved/Bud/AK.

ET/Bud >>>> JJB/Luke
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves