Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread 

Post#201 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:21 pm

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Nuggets are 16-4 since Jan. 1st, TIED for best record in the NBA over that span with the Spurs (DEN plays at Raptors at 7 ET).

Their 4 losses have been at OKC, at Boston in 3OT, vs MIN when Love was healthy and vs the WIZ. They are 22-3(!) at home.

I think this was our best win of the year. The Nuggz will be out for blood when we play them here next Friday.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#202 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Interesting that Minnesota beat them too. I wonder if it's a case that they just don't match up well with burly PF's like Love and Nene. Faried is a wonderful player but he's undersized and lacks girth. He's much better in help defense where he can utilize his quickness and energy. Nene and Seraphin just bullied their way through him. Nene had an off night with his touch around the basket too. If he brings his A game, he really could make life difficult for Denver.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#203 » by tontoz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

nate33 wrote:Interesting that Minnesota beat them too. I wonder if it's a case that they just don't match up well with burly PF's like Love and Nene. Faried is a wonderful player but he's undersized and lacks girth. He's much better in help defense where he can utilize his quickness and energy. Nene and Seraphin just bullied their way through him. Nene had an off night with his touch around the basket too. If he brings his A game, he really could make life difficult for Denver.

We are a bad matchup for Denver. They aren't a good 3 point shooting team. They score by fast breaks and taking it to the basket. That isn't going to work well against the Wizards.

Would you want to drive if Nene/Okafor/Seraphin were back there waiting for you? I wouldn't. I am about 190 and would drive leading with my shoulder to clear space which worked against most guys. Against those 3 i woudln't even try it.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#204 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 am

So it looks like the spiked Kool-Aid playoff watch is back on. Not sure how it spilled into another thread since we already stated it here.

Clean up on isle 5

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings/_/page/2

Well that win bumped them another slot up from 17th to 16th. They were straddled by MIL and ATL but the Buck just got kicked down to 19th after we made Venison burgers out of them on their home court.

Now we are between Brooklyn and Boston. Next move is to page one.

Next 3 teams ahead of them are Boston, ATL and Dallas. I say making page one would be another sign they are legit.

SOS (L25%) is now 2nd which is down from 1st.
SOS for the year is 8th

The softer part of their schedule is ahead. Every game will be a challenge but they are winnable.
http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... on-wizards

There isn't a lot in their way until Sat, Mar 23 at Golden State. Thats 18 games from now. There are a few challenging ones along the way but mostly it is clear sailing if they can keep this level of play.

While this teams record places them 3rd worst in the league. They are a fair cry better then that and I like their chances to continue to prove it. Here to hoping for good heal and success to these players, the coaches and the front office.

Looking forward to them continuing to kick ass and take names. A nice winning streak is laying at their feet. Its up to them to grab a hold of it.

See you after the 15-3 run plus the 4 we already have in the bag. That would be 30-38 with 14 games to go.

TOR looking a little tougher these days though. Hell. Who knows. Its a crap shoot.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#205 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm

hands11 wrote:So it looks like the spiked Kool-Aid playoff watch is back on. Not sure how it spilled into another thread since we already stated it here.

Clean up on isle 5

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings/_/page/2

Well that win bumped them another slot up from 17th to 16th. They were straddled by MIL and ATL but the Buck just got kicked down to 19th after we made Venison burgers out of them on their home court.

Now we are between Brooklyn and Boston. Next move is to page one.

Next 3 teams ahead of them are Boston, ATL and Dallas. I say making page one would be another sign they are legit.

SOS (L25%) is now 2nd which is down from 1st.
SOS for the year is 8th

The softer part of their schedule is ahead. Every game will be a challenge but they are winnable.
http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... on-wizards

There isn't a lot in their way until Sat, Mar 23 at Golden State. Thats 18 games from now. There are a few challenging ones along the way but mostly it is clear sailing if they can keep this level of play.

While this teams record places them 3rd worst in the league. They are a fair cry better then that and I like their chances to continue to prove it. Here to hoping for good heal and success to these players, the coaches and the front office.

Looking forward to them continuing to kick ass and take names. A nice winning streak is laying at their feet. Its up to them to grab a hold of it.

See you after the 15-3 run plus the 4 we already have in the bag. That would be 30-38 with 14 games to go.

TOR looking a little tougher these days though. Hell. Who knows. Its a crap shoot.

Playoffs or not, I'm just happy with the way they are playing. They have been a complete disaster and embarrassment since the blow up. Watching jokers like Blatche, McGee and Young. This new Wizards led by John Wall with Nene, Okafor, Beal, Webster and company are a team we as fans can be proud of. They have shown determination and heart this year. It is fun to watch this team now, and great to see them winning now and coming together as a team!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#206 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Looking at the team splits from December (14 games), January (16 games), and February (6 games):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/tea ... 13/splits/

FG/FGA and FG% followed by 3P/3PA and 3P%
===========================================
December: 33.6/82.4 -- 40.8% -- 6.0/18.6 -- 32.2%
January: 36.9/81.8 -- 45.1% -- 6.9/17.2 -- 40.1%
February: 37.8/81.3 -- 46.5% -- 6.7/17.0 -- 39.4%

--Three straight months the team has shot better from 2PT.
--The TEAM hits nearly 40% of threes--an excellent number.

The Wizards are shooting the ball significantly better than two months ago. The Wizards are shooting .465 this month. There are only 6 NBA teams shooting better overall. (MIA, SA, OKC, DEN, LAC, HOU)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... _2013.html

The offensive FG% is better than 75% of the league right now this month and better than 50% the last two months.

Points scored / Points allowed / Differential
=======================================
December: 88.1 / 95.4 / -7.3
January: 95.6 / 95.3/ 0.3
February: 92.8 / 88.5 / 4.3

If the Wizards were to maintain a +4.3 point differential, that would rank 6th behind OKC, SA, MIA, LAC, and NYK.

I think this team is playing great and people are selling them a little short … until they hit their next slump. When that happens I will probably tart generating John Wall trade ideas. :)
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#207 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Playoffs or not, I'm just happy with the way they are playing. They have been a complete disaster and embarrassment since the blow up. Watching jokers like Blatche, McGee and Young. This new Wizards led by John Wall with Nene, Okafor, Beal, Webster and company are a team we as fans can be proud of. They have shown determination and heart this year. It is fun to watch this team now, and great to see them winning now and coming together as a team!

+1

This Wizard team is one of my favorites. I love the way when they were 4-28 nobody sulked publicly and said publicly they wanted out. Not one player threw another under the bus. They stuck by Randy Wittman, too. The coach didn't throw guys under the bus. The coach never deflected all blame on young or old players. The players actually bonded when this team was putrid. They kept faith in Beal when he struggled mightily. THEY didn't throw Wall under the bus even if I and other fans have. Most of all, they're really turning up their intensity in games and they're winning now.

I like the way they are playing, too, SUPERBALLMAN. This team consistently closes games strong. Fourth quarters go well for this team, in general. That is a good sign of things to come if they stay healthy.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#208 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 pm

CCJ, we may be shooting a better FG%, but we are shooting fewer 3's, offensive rebounds are down, and turnovers are up. Overall, our offense has improved considerably since the pre-Wall days, but it's still not very good.
RealGM

Post#209 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm

nate33 wrote:CCJ, we may be shooting a better FG%, but we are shooting fewer 3's, offensive rebounds are down, and turnovers are up. Overall, our offense has improved considerably since the pre-Wall days, but it's still not very good.

nate, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you. This time I flat out think you're ignoring the best defense being played right now and focusing on the offense as if it exists in a vacuum. Scoring 92 points is not good at all. However, if you're allowing 88 points you're going to win 55 or 60 games.

I would love for this team to have stretch four and another breakdown player. Someone who can go end-to-end and score would be a godsend. However, this team is darn good right now, as hard as it is to fathom.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#210 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Who's ignoring defense? I never said the team isn't playing good overall. Their defense is fantastic. All I'm saying is that the offense isn't very good. This all goes back to the question of whether or not we need a stretch 4. I think we do because it would greatly help our offense. You apparently agree. What are we arguing about?
RealGM

Post#211 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 pm

I have NO idea. :)

Oh, wait, I remember: You said the offense still stinks. I don't think so at all. I don't agree about that shooting less threes and having more turnovers are substantial. This month, they're averaging 14 turnovers. Three times they have only had 9 turnovers. They have averaged 20.3 3PAs for the season and they're averaging 18.8 now. That is solely because Wall doesn't attempt threes, and the team has shifted from Crawford to Temple as a backup. On top of that Beal has been injured some of that time. nate, I think they're shooting around the same number of threes.

I am not even arguing. Not mad in the least. I think the offense is actually pretty decent but VERY thin in depth. One injury to Nene and the whole thing gets worse. Webster out makes things a lot worse. Wall out sinks the ship.

This turnaround completely depends on the health of Nene, Wall, Webster, Ariza, Price and Beal. Any of the top three out and they are really debilitated.
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#212 » by montestewart » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 pm

I'd add Okafor to that list. Not sure who would fill the gap without his rebounding.
hands11
Banned User

Post#213 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Looking at the team splits from December (14 games), January (16 games), and February (6 games):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/tea ... 13/splits/

FG/FGA and FG% followed by 3P/3PA and 3P%
===========================================
December: 33.6/82.4 -- 40.8% -- 6.0/18.6 -- 32.2%
January: 36.9/81.8 -- 45.1% -- 6.9/17.2 -- 40.1%
February: 37.8/81.3 -- 46.5% -- 6.7/17.0 -- 39.4%

--Three straight months the team has shot better from 2PT.
--The TEAM hits nearly 40% of threes--an excellent number.

The Wizards are shooting the ball significantly better than two months ago. The Wizards are shooting .465 this month. There are only 6 NBA teams shooting better overall. (MIA, SA, OKC, DEN, LAC, HOU)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... _2013.html

The offensive FG% is better than 75% of the league right now this month and better than 50% the last two months.

Points scored / Points allowed / Differential
=======================================
December: 88.1 / 95.4 / -7.3
January: 95.6 / 95.3/ 0.3
February: 92.8 / 88.5 / 4.3

If the Wizards were to maintain a +4.3 point differential, that would rank 6th behind OKC, SA, MIA, LAC, and NYK.

I think this team is playing great and people are selling them a little short … until they hit their next slump. When that happens I will probably tart generating John Wall trade ideas. :)

Thanks for digging up some stats. Yeah, the offense is clearly getting better. Cumulative season stats are not going to reflex it for a little while longer.

Hey, how did you get the month by month numbers ?
hands11
Banned User

Post#214 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 am

montestewart wrote:I'd add Okafor to that list. Not sure who would fill the gap without his rebounding.

Like someone else posted. First you win, then you get good. I will translate that to say, then you add depth.

The fact we are talking about depth is a quality problem.

As for rebounding. There is no clear answer regarding depth. To much is to new right now. Specially when you are talking about turning to younger players if vets go out. But I will say this.

Kevin S over the last 3 games looks to be turning another corner. First corner he turned was establishing some offense and staying on the floor longer without racking up the fouls. Now he appears to be playing more physical, rebounding better and taking less and more efficient shots.

Its nothing I would bank on, but I see something there that looks promising. He needs to do it again tonight to make more believe this is going to stick. If he can keep this up, front court depth will look better. Add a center in the draft, even better. Get the back up PG issue answer, close the barns doors baby. We having a party. :wink:
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#215 » by Dat2U » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 am

Kevin S is really turning a corner huh?

I think we can put this thread to rest now... unless were still waiting on that 15 game winning streak to happen.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#216 » by TGW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:48 am

Sadly enough, a 15 game winning streak would even get us to .500

That's pretty awful for a teams that's supposedly "turning it around".
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#217 » by dangermouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 am

This kool-aid tastes funny
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#218 » by tontoz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:31 pm

dangermouse wrote:This kool-aid tastes funny

That's because it is Kook-Aid.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#219 » by TGW » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:24 am

I think John Wall had a batch of the kook-aid before this game against the craptors...
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#220 » by AFM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 am

MAY DAY MAY DAY TOO MUCH STOLI IN THE KOOL AID

OH THE HUMANITY>...

Return to Washington Wizards