ImageImageImage

Rondo?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,966

Rondo? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Just thinking outside the box here, but would we get killed with a back-court of Rubio and a 6' 1" Rondo, and Shved backing them both up?

I believe superstars are more valuable than ever to win a championship, doubly valuable now with teams like MIA sucking them up to produce scarcity. If one is ever available for trade, I think you need to consider each one. I haven't given much thought to Rondo because we're so connected to our own RR, but is it something we could play with?

Or would it be a smart investment to make an offer on one of the best trade pieces for this summer ($11, $12, $13), by eating his contract this year? BOS may be motivated to make a move with an aging KG and Pierce.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Re: Rondo? 

Post#2 » by Foye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:59 pm

And how are we able to acquire Rondo without Ricky Rubio being involved?
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#3 » by Murphs56 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 pm

A combination of Rubio-Curry, Rubio-Irving, Rubio-Lawson makes sense because those other guys can play off the ball and aren't as good a passer as Ricky. Rondo on the other hand has the ball in his hand even more than Ricky. It would never work
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#4 » by The J Rocka » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Foye wrote:And how are we able to acquire Rondo without Ricky Rubio being involved?

You could try your luck with Love + Ridnour/Barea but the C's know Rubio would have to comeback.

I can't think of a worse offensive combo.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#5 » by Foye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:32 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
Foye wrote:And how are we able to acquire Rondo without Ricky Rubio being involved?

You could try your luck with Love + Ridnour/Barea but the C's know Rubio would have to comeback.

I can't think of a worse offensive combo.

At least we could go for consecutive worst 3pt% in the league title then.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#6 » by Krapinsky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Makes zero sense. Neither Rubio or Rondo can be effective off the ball and for that reason Rondo has more value to almost every team than the T-Wolves.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#7 » by sisibilio » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Murphs56 wrote:A combination of Rubio-Curry

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54[/youtube]
:-?
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#8 » by theGreatRC » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Shrink, youve been on a roll lately..and that wasnt a compliment
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Murphs56 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 pm

sisibilio wrote:

Yup. I know I know
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Murphs56 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 pm

sisibilio wrote:

Yup. I know I know. Those 2 together would have been the perfect combination
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#11 » by The J Rocka » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Even though Curry didn't want to be here at the time, Kahn should've taken DeRozan (like I thought he would've). It made too much sense.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#12 » by kmgarnett21 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Rubio and Rondo would be one of the worst shooting starting backcourts in NBA history. It'd also be the most reluctant shooting backcourts as well.

And like others have pointed out, Rondo's only effective with the ball in his hands, like Rubio for the most part. It would basically eliminate the other's strengths. It's almost like Nash and Kobe (even though it's totally different situation). Nash's strengths and skill sets aren't being fully utilized b/c he doesn't have the ball or freedom to penetrate and create for others like he is so good at. Now, magnify that times a bazillion and that would be a Rubio/Rondo backcourt.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,966

Post#13 » by shrink » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I appreciate the insight on how these two would (or more likely, "wouldn't") work together.

However, as far as trade value, I think we could put together an offer for BOS without touching Love or Rubio, with Pek plus whatever else they want.

What OKC and BOS have in common is that they are both extremely motivated this year to try to unseat the top teams in the NBA. An injured Rondo this year means someone has to eat the salary to get the benfit for the next two years, and if you recall, there was talk about trading Rondo even before he got hurt.

At this point, BOS may reel it in, but if not, I think we could make an offer the Celtics would accept. The bigger problem would be who else would offer to outbid us.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#14 » by Krapinsky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Boston isn't going to trade away its only main building piece for the future for one last hurrah on the knees of KG and Pierce. Ainge would have to be delusional.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
A-Zero
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#15 » by A-Zero » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:08 am

Kevin Love and an unprotected 1st round pick for Rondo, I'd do it right now. Spend the pick on a PG and let the era of Love start in Boston :P
Maybe it's my fault, maybe I destroyed the game… or maybe, you're just making excuses. -Michael Jordan
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#16 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:30 pm

A-Zero wrote:Kevin Love and an unprotected 1st round pick for Rondo, I'd do it right now. Spend the pick on a PG and let the era of Love start in Boston :P

why not 10 unprotected picks? Dream big.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#17 » by [RCG] » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:01 pm

A-Zero wrote:Kevin Love and an unprotected 1st round pick for Rondo, I'd do it right now. Spend the pick on a PG and let the era of Love start in Boston :P

Because Rondo makes perfect sense on a team with Rubio. :roll:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#18 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 am

So I was sure I was coming in here to see SOME sort of Rubio trade offer, but putting Rondo WITH Rubio is one of the more unusual thoughts I've seen in some time. No chance of that working, since they don't have complimentary skills.

The basic premise that you guys have stuff we are interested in is probably correct. Love and Pek would both be of some interest. But why you would want Rondo to put WITH Rubio is beyond me. Two of my favourite point guards, and both with the same basic flaws in their games.
Gideon
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#19 » by Gideon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 am

Yeah... Rubio & Rondo would not work together at all. I really like Rondo, and I love Rubio, but just a total skill-set/need overlap.

Here's a variation:

Minny Out: Love
Minny In: Gallo, Faried

WHY for Minny: Gallo and Faried is a good return for Love... both players fit really well with our system/needs and are young with lots of potential.

Boston Out: Rondo
Boston In: Love

WHY for Boston: The Celtics are doing great with Rondo hurt... they love Bradley as a great intangibles guy, and he's probably more of a PG than a SG... so why not ship Rondo, get an elite young star, and move forward with a future core of Bradley and Love + a couple of productive seasons remaining from PP/KG

Denver Out: Gallo, Faried, Lawson
Denver In: Rondo, Thomas Robinson, James Johnson, Tyler Honeycutt (make salaries work), top 7 protected pick from Sacramento

Huge overhaul for Denver... I admit they probably won't do something this radical in the real world. However, why be satisfied with a 4-6 seat every year without being a real title threat? Rondo is an elite PG, Johnson is a quality backup who fits the Denver system well, and the Nuggets are deep enough to absorb losing a couple of starters without wrecking the team (Miller, Brewer, Chandler, and McGee are all basically starter-quality). Robinson is a promising young prospect who has shown flashes of potential and could thrive in a more harmonious setting than the clusterfk in Sacramento, and he would be Denver's PF of the future. Plus a likely late lotto pick from Sacramento within the next year or two provides another core piece.

Sac Out: Thomas Robinson, James Johnson, Tyler Honeycutt, top 7 protected pick
Sac In: Ty Lawson

The Kings/Sonics swap their recent high draft pick who hasn't been thriving in their system (plus another protected pick) for a true franchise PG. They can move forward with a Lawson/Evans/Cousins core and have some real young talent to build around.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves