ImageImageImage

A strong offer from the 76ers

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Re: A strong offer from the 76ers 

Post#21 » by PZiv » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Williams is just another Minnesota developing player who will end up being better on other team, so what is Minny waiting for? They already have all-star dream team PF, and a decent back-up to his position, not like there's much to hope in playing time for Derrick, its best for Minny to cash in as much value it can get now.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#22 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 pm

I would do this deal and address 3 pt shooting in the off-season ... plus, we got Love and Bud on the back burner. Hawes gives us insurance in getting Pek resigned and might be cheap enough to keep around.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#23 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 pm

The only way we don't trade DWill is if we trade Dante or KLove instead. Do you want that? I mean, I love his talent, but KLove and Dante are filling our PF spot nicely, while DWill has higher trade worth than Dante.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#24 » by cpfsf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Murphs56 wrote:It's a shame D-Will got exposed as a player in need of serious development. We could have gotten a lot of good stuff for him back in the day

iirc, the best offer we received for the second pick was josh smith. woj claims that kanter was atlanta's intended target.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#25 » by eyeteeth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm

This is where there's a huge difference between a real GM and RealGM. Actual, professional GMs have patience and a strong idea of the developmental curve they expect (and the possible lags that might happen) for young players that are high draft choices. The Philly board might want to kick Turner to the curb, but the team is not likely to be so cavalier.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,068

Post#26 » by sisibilio » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

That's absurd, Hawes alone has more value than DWill at this point probably.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#27 » by Wolf_Cry » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Those degrading Turner is correct. He is what he is and he'll probably never be more than this. He's a big SG who can handle the ball and distribute finely, but a poor shooter and defender due to his mobility and quickness. Is he worth DWill? Eh, by the fact that Williams will always be a tweener, I would say yes. It is also more importantly addressing a position we dearly need.

Turner and Williams = the classical case of grass being greener on the other side.

FYI, I think in the long run I think Derrick will become the better player.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#28 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 pm

sisibilio wrote:That's absurd, Hawes alone has more value than DWill at this point probably.

Based on what?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... 02&y2=2013

Their stats are fairly similar, while Derrick is only 21 years old, Hawes is 24.
Gideon
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#29 » by Gideon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 pm

The value is probably good enough, but I don't think the fit is. We really need shooters. Having a shooting guard who can't shoot whom we're invested in playing significant minutes would be a big mistake IMO.

I think we're (correctly) pretty locked in on Rubio, AK, and Pek as key pieces of our core, but none of them are very good outside shooters. This means the other two players on the floor with them really need to be able to hit outside shots or defenses will just collapse against us and cause us all sorts of problems. Obviously, when Love comes back that gives us one player who can hit outside shots. Budinger and Shved are rotation guys who can also fill this role at times (I think Shved's shot will improve), but still, somebody like Turner is just not the right fit for our current roster IMO. We need a player like Reddick, Dudley, Morrow, etc.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,068

Post#30 » by sisibilio » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 pm

To begin with Hawes has an established position that fits well to his skillset, he's versatile enough to adjust to different roles and is pretty consistent, with Derrick you never know what you are going to get. The only thing he's got over Hawes right now is "potential".
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Figjamjr
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#31 » by Figjamjr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm

IMO this is a pretty good trade. I do think it makes MIN better. But this trade like all the others are predicated on who your "core" players are. If Rubio, Ak, Love, and Pek are "core" players then this trade may not work well for MIN.

However, if MIN looks at it's current roster as a "work in progress", and they realize that AK and Pek along with the bench should be used to to trade for better players, then this trade could work. Although it would be a bit premature.

But as a few posters have said, MIN needs their SG and SF to be able to make 3's at about a 35% or higher clip. You can get by with Rubio and your Center not being able to shoot outside, but when you've got 3 players who can't shoot outside, your in trouble.

Rather than trade Dwill, Barea, and Steamer all together, might be better to say trade Steamer and a future late 1st for Hawes?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#32 » by Calinks » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

I do this about 10 times over. (And I don't hate/just want D-Will off the team for anything either)

Turner is streaky but I think he is a team player and he wont have the same pressure to produce here. Hawes is a very nice big. Yes, I this deal, don't know if Philly does.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,125

Post#33 » by GopherIt! » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 am

Not interested in Turner. I would rather target Dudley and the send Jose Jordan to L.A. for Jordan Hill

Ricky/luke
Dudley/Shved
Ak47/bud
Love/DC
Pek/Jordan hill

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves