Around the League: 2012-2013

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Re: Around the League: 2012-2013 

Post#741 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:26 pm

If you didn't take shots at Pek at every opportunity then people probably wouldn't think you have a negative opinion of him.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#742 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:04 pm

I think he's been pretty damn impressive - 16 ppg on over 50% shooting. Thats all considering that if you're gameplanning for stopping the Wolves, 9 times out of 10 you can pack the **** out of the paint and watch the Wolves brick themselves out of the game. Yet Pekovic STILL is able to put points on the board because his beard is so thick and woolly and his body is so taut and muscular.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#743 » by MrTwister » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Pek and Vooch are 2 completely different types of big man and should be treated as such.

Vucevic can play PF also because he has good range and solid 3 pt shot which he doesnt use in NBA(used it in Europe) and his offensive game is mostly limited on tip-in shots and mid-range jumpers because he gets no love from Nelson.If u watched Cavs-Magic game u could also notice he have legit post game(very nice soft touch at the rim) but from some reason he doesn't use it enough or just dont want it like he is afraid of contact game.He is also sometimes "soft" in defense and got almost no defensive impact on the game.His stats improved each month and so his game.Currently he is sharing 2nd place with Z-Bo in rebounding while being only 0.1% under D.Howard.I would like him to get MIP award but that will be tough considering candidates like Vasquez from NO and probably Harden.Vuc can bulk up next summer and become what people expected Darko will be because he is only 22 and there is a lot space to improve.Also I am not sure how you would like him to get rebounds from your precious all-star franchise player.

Pek in the other hand, uses his body and physical strenght to get on his sweet spot' and he is one of the best low-post scorers in league.His rebounding is worse than Vuc (yet he is nice off.rebounder),his jumper is almost non-existant,his defense improved a little because he learned to use his body and i might be subjective but he makes best screens i ever seen from big guy.His recent slump with missing layups raised some 'brows but he is still managing to average 16/8 fresh from injury while getting doubled in the paint (which is usually stacked) (thats why he gets blocked from guys usually smaller than him) because Minny 3pt and perimeter shooting have been awful this season.If u put injuries to the equation u get your only bright spot on the team this year which used to contribute on the regular basis.He even recently gave an interview to our papers saying he likes it in Minnesota and he would like to stay because he believe team can do so much better w/o being plagued with injuries like this season and that teammates like him.

I personally believe he wont get more than 10-12 mil contract which Wolves will probably match and he will probably stay.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#744 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Vuc N Pek wrote:I personally believe he wont get more than 10-12 mil contract which Wolves will probably match and he will probably stay.

I think so/hope so. The wild card is Atlanta who is likely to part ways with Josh Smith and has been wanting to move Horford to PF for awhile now. They might break out a crazy offer. People are worried about Portland making an offer like they did for Hibbert, but that's turned out to be a terrible contract. You'd think they'd be a little more wary this time around.
MrTwister
Sixth Man

Post#745 » by MrTwister » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Vuc N Pek wrote:I personally believe he wont get more than 10-12 mil contract which Wolves will probably match and he will probably stay.

I think so/hope so. The wild card is Atlanta who is likely to part ways with Josh Smith and has been wanting to move Horford to PF for awhile now. They might break out a crazy offer. People are worried about Portland making an offer like they did for Hibbert, but that's turned out to be a terrible contract. You'd think they'd be a little more wary this time around.

I dont think Portland think high of Pek, as much as i heard from some of their fans they find him not good enough for them and rate Zaza Pachulia and Okafor infront of him, why? i dont have a clue, but this is just beyond my level of understanding.Defensive liability,bad rebounder,not being rim protector is their reasons which i find silly and mostly incorrect.

Josh Smith is headcase and it will be tricky to shop him for decent asset since he requires max contract.Imo he is not max contract player and that could make him reconsider whole thing.About Atlanta i also think they have other candidates and Pek isn't first choice to them or anybody, it might be Pek's low profile because even after 2 and a half years some fans are pretty much ignorant about him.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#746 » by Tirion » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 pm

Vuc N Pek wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:

I dont think Portland think high of Pek, as much as i heard from some of their fans they find him not good enough for them and rate Zaza Pachulia and Okafor infront of him, why? i dont have a clue, but this is just beyond my level of understanding.Defensive liability,bad rebounder,not being rim protector is their reasons which i find silly and mostly incorrect.

I wouldn't put much stock in what Portland fans think. Or any fans for that matter. I don't think that FO consults fans on personel decisions.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#747 » by Tirion » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 pm

Ball so hard, motherf*****s wanna ban me.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#748 » by southern wolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 am

Tirion wrote:Ball so hard, motherf*****s wanna ban me.

If you look at Hedo's stats for the season you would think he was on smack not steroids.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#749 » by PZiv » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:47 am

Vuc N Pek wrote:
Josh Smith is headcase and it will be tricky to shop him for decent asset since he requires max contract.Imo he is not max contract player and that could make him reconsider whole thing.About Atlanta i also think they have other candidates and Pek isn't first choice to them or anybody, it might be Pek's low profile because even after 2 and a half years some fans are pretty much ignorant about him.

Most people that actually do things don't care what fans think.
For Atlanta office guys, Pekovic is a guy thats direct match next to Al Horford and he has proven them right in match-ups against their team. In Center scarce East Pekovic would do so much with Atlanta roster it would be wet dream to them(in theory...)
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#750 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 am

PZiv wrote:
Vuc N Pek wrote:

For Atlanta office guys, Pekovic is a guy thats direct match next to Al Horford and he has proven them right in match-ups against their team. In Center scarce East Pekovic would do so much with Atlanta roster it would be wet dream to them(in theory...)

I guess all these trade ideas on realgm tricked him into thinking otherwise. :D
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#751 » by NikolaPekovic » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:12 am

I can also see the mavs making a move for pek too..
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#752 » by PZiv » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:29 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
PZiv wrote:
Vuc N Pek wrote:

I guess all these trade ideas on realgm tricked him into thinking otherwise. :D

well my posts are domain of theorycraft. We all know that Love needs a highly athletic and strong defender to cover up his mess for frontcourt of Minny to be deadly than it already is. But if Pekovic signs a nice contract that will not be max one on the first day of offseason, then he would be most suitable guy for Minnesota, small but likely chances are that its plausible(32m for 4 seasons).
Or you will see Atlanta(from a need for this player)/Portland(need+payback)/Celtic(hidden need for win-now & Rebuild solution at 5, not official, but in my theory)/Mavs(cause he is fresh and cause Kaman) there are even those teams that will have so much cap after this season they could afford maxing Pek, and thats why Minnesota has to sign Pek swiftly on a nice contract while it can or else you'd see above mentioned people making Pek rich men and Minny actually compromising its rebuild and tying a lot of salary to Pek.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#753 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

I think you misunderstood my post, I was referring to Vuc N Pek thinking fans' opinion is the key to a trade happening. Bad joke, I guess. :D

About Pek, well, there will be a lot of teams in the offseason who could bting Pek to play next to an athletic defensive PF with a decent mid-range jumper. At least half of starting PFs in the league are of that kind. I don't know what to expect, but I hope we keep him.
MrTwister
Sixth Man

Post#754 » by MrTwister » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:04 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:I think you misunderstood my post, I was referring to Vuc N Pek thinking fans' opinion is the key to a trade happening. Bad joke, I guess. :D

Well u are mostly right, but you can blame my ignorance and lack of info for that :D

My sources are usually this forum or ESPN news where i cant read insider articles.If u have some suggestions where i can keep track of such things PM me or drop link around here.

Like u mentioned in previous post, i was reading trade board and trades with him involving usually suck for Wolves because its not balanced and he is getting under-appreciated.

I got my impressions from my last post on this forum and fans of their teams so it maybe sounded silly and immature from me and all i can say is i'm sorry about that.In our country fans usually buy some piece of basketball team so they can have a vote if board decides to fire/hire a coach agree/disagree on certain transfers or put his foot down if they dont want certain player in team(usually players which played for rival teams).i was led by assumptions to that impression.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#755 » by FinnTheHuman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 am

No problem man, I remember I was thinking the way you did when I started browsing realgm. :D It's just that every team uses advanced stats, a lot of scouting etc. so there are actually no really undervalued and overvalued players when it comes to trades, there are only undervalued and overvalued ones in the media, fans' minds...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#756 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 am

exhibit A for all the people on the trade board saying a defensive center would be better for the Thunder than a low post scorer like Pekovic
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#757 » by Tirion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:24 am

Shouldn't have traded Harden.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,582

Post#758 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 am

Beasley had a pretty sweet entry on Shaqtin a Fool this week. 4 on 1 fast break, passed it to the 1.

EDIT:

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#759 » by FinnTheHuman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:53 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:exhibit A for all the people on the trade board saying a defensive center would be better for the Thunder than a low post scorer like Pekovic

I have to admit I might have been wrong on that one after watching yesterday's game. :D
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#760 » by Tirion » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:32 am

Wes Johnson!

Coming from nowhere to dominate Portland!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves