Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Eddie Doucette Wins Curt Gowdy Award for Broadcasting 

Post#1 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:37 pm

BANGO!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... ll-of-fame

Feinstein joined Milwaukee Bucks broadcaster Eddie Doucette in being selected Friday for the honor, which is the highest award that can be given to a sports media member covering basketball.

Strangely, there's no story anywhere from the MJS or anything.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Re: Eddie Doucette Wins Curt Gowdy Award for Broadcasting 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Back in the day when 10-12 games a year were on TV Eddie was THE man. Incredibly nice guy. Left the Bucks when he had to relocate due to his son's health issues.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#3 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm

My dad always raves about Eddie Doucette, loved him when he did Bucks games. One of his favorites most definitely.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#4 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:57 pm

He'll also be in the booth with Ted March 6th against the Clippers
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#5 » by LittleRooster » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 pm

N8Frog wrote:My dad always raves about Eddie Doucette, loved him when he did Bucks games. One of his favorites most definitely.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#6 » by Badgerlander » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I remember his commercials for MBTI like it was yesterday
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Somewhere I have the dictionary they gave out of all his phrases. I'll post it if I find it.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,909

Post#8 » by sidney lanier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Somewhere I have the dictionary they gave out of all his phrases. I'll post it if I find it.

Here's a reasonable facsimile.

http://www.eddiedoucette.com/articles/d ... ionary.pdf

Too bad Jonny Mac remembers Doucette's toaster as pop-up zone. I'm a little tired of hearing him say that.

Incidentally, these all aren't Doucettisms, but he had a lot of great ones and usually didn't veer into the "tickles-the-twines-for-two" Red Rush land of corniness.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,739

Post#9 » by Treebeard » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Copied from another thread

Doucette could make a paint drying contest sound exciting. He has no equal in that regard.

Us Geezers remember Eddie, not only for his gift of description - but also for his great nicknames

Bango - for a dramatic shot made
Flynn "the Electric Eye" Robinson - journeyman guard with a very high FT accuracy
Dick "Cement Mixer" Cunningham
Bob "the Greyhound" Dandridge

et alia...
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#10 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes, I've heard my dad talk about the nicknames and obviously "Bango" got his name from Eddie. Is that true he'll be on with Ted on March 6th? I'll have to let my dad know, hopefully he'll be driving 2nd shift that day. It will be cool if he does some play by play.

Former Milwaukee Bucks play-by-play announcer Eddie Doucette was honored Friday as a 2013 recipient of the Curt Gowdy Media Award.

Doucette was named as the award winner representing electronic media, and noted author and sportswriter John Feinstein received the award for print media.

The announcement was made as part of the NBA's all-star weekend festivities in Houston.

Doucette and Feinstein will be honored during the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame enshrinement events on Sept. 7-8 in Springfield, Mass.

Doucette was the original voice of the Bucks and stayed with the franchise for 16 seasons, including the NBA championship year in 1970-'71. He called games of such Bucks greats as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (first Lew Alcindor) and Oscar Robertson in the early years and moved into the era of Bob Lanier and Sidney Moncrief.

He was both a radio and TV voice for the team. Doucette's his last year with the club was the 1983-'84 season.

His radio calls were memorable for a generation of fans who embraced the Bucks. The expansion franchise won a title in its third season and reached the NBA Finals again in 1974 before losing to Boston in a thrilling seven-game series.

Doucette had a colorful on-air style and talked about shots in the "toaster" and Abdul-Jabbar's "sky hook."

He called Flynn Robinson "the Electric Eye" and coined the phrase "pancake jumper" to describe the flat shot of Bucks forward Bobby Dandridge.

Burly big man Dick Cunningham was "the Cement Mixer." And Doucette's phrase "Bango," which he often used when the Bucks hit a jumper, became the name of the team mascot.

"He was very creative, very enthusiastic," said current Bucks television play-by-play announcer Jim Paschke, who is in his 27th season in that role. "He put the Milwaukee Bucks on the map.

"I'm always appreciative of the standard he set. It's certainly a high bar to shoot for.

"It's a well-deserved honor, and I'm thrilled for him."

Doucette has covered the NBA for 30 years in his work for NBA TV, CBS Sports, USA Network and the NBA Radio Network.

He is a member of the Wisconsin Broadcasters Hall of Fame.

Doucette and former Bucks player and current Bucks television analyst Jon McGlocklin initiated the MACC Fund (Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer), an effort which has raised more than $42 million for cancer research since its founding in 1976.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,909

Post#11 » by sidney lanier » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Jim Paschke wrote: I'm always appreciative of the standard he set. It's certainly a high bar to shoot for.

Or to get over. I guess some people turn a phrase while others can only mix a metaphor.

What Eddie D. gave us, in addition to the memorable phrases, was a sense of the beauty and excitement of the game. He was always upbeat and enthusiastic. The contrast between the way he called a game and the psycho downbeat "c'mon guys, make your throws" of Jonny Mac, or the grim Dick Cheney-like slow boil of Paschke, or the whiny incredulity at a blown lead of Ted Davis, is stark. He was a cheerleader, true, but he didn't do it in a cloying or Pollyanna-ish way, and he knew and loved the game.

Another contrast: what he gave to the MACC Fund he gave with the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Something about that in the Bible, I think.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#12 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:52 pm

DocHoliday wrote:I remember his commercials for MBTI like it was yesterday

"we'd like to thank Junior Bridgeman for being our guest on the postgame show. For being our guest Junior will receive a gift certificate for a pair of NUNN BUSH shoes. NUNN BUSH shoes, the finest in men's footwear."
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#13 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:40 pm

As said above, Eddie will be working with Ted Davis on March 6th. Per the report I saw, Ted will work the 1st and 4th quarters as play by play with Eddie being the Analyst. Eddie will call the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Sounds like something Ted agreed on and think its a pretty cool ideal.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Sky hook, the shot, was made famous by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Sky hook, the term, was coined by former Milwaukee Bucks announcer Eddie Doucette, who is to be inducted into the broadcasting wing of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in September.

In a recent telephone interview, Doucette described the genesis of the term.

According to Doucette, the sky hook was born on May 10, 1974 at Boston Garden in Game 6 of the NBA Finals between the Bucks and Celtics.

Milwaukee won in double overtime, 102-101, to tie the series and send it back to the Milwaukee Arena for Game 7.

The shot that won the game was the first time Doucette used the term sky hook. Oscar Robertson inbounded high sideline right to Abdul-Jabbar who was above the foul line. He looked to pass, but found no one open. He faced Finkel, took a dribble to the baseline and lofted a hook shot.

"He got the ball in rhythm," Doucette said. "It was as beautiful thing. A perfect pass, the way you are supposed to deliver it. So he had to take only one step and go up."

Finkel was guarding Kareem because Dave Cowens had fouled out, Doucette said.

At Boston Garden, Doucette was not seated courtside as radio broadcasters many times are in NBA venues. He was up in the first balcony.

Had he not been seated there, the term sky hook might never have made its entrance.

"When he went to that baseline and went up for that shot, it was kind of almost eye level with me," Doucette said. "It felt that way. Everything became slow motion when he went up for that shot on the baseline. Took it in stride. Went up off his left leg. Perfect balance. Right hand fully extended. Ball on the fingertips. Launched that shot. And as he launched it, it just hit me. ‘That ball is coming out of the sky. That’s a sky hook.’ That’s how it happened. I never gave it any thought. But I had to be in a position where I was located that would inspire me to think that it would be coming out of the sky.

"It was beautiful," Doucette said. "It was arched. His form was textbook. Every kid who is a big man should study how to shoot that shot. It’s unstoppable. He executed it in art form and we won the game."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks