ImageImageImageImage

Arron Afflalo

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Arron Afflalo 

Post#1 » by mbn23 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:00 am

I am just curious to see whether he is going to be in the Magic's long term plans. His numbers have declined a bit over the last month or so. i know it is in part with other players starting to develop and grow, but still he was one of the "key" pieces more or less in the Howard trade.

So what does everyone else feel about him?
Do you see him in the Magic's long term future?
What do you think a logical move would be with him?
Just Sayin
darthmerrick
Starter
And1: 329

Re: Arron Afflalo 

Post#2 » by darthmerrick » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:09 am

He's gone 2 years from now. Henny thought Affalo could turn into an allstar. That was a bust and Vucevic turned out to be the best asset we got for Howard.

So Affalo is a reasonable asset that could be attractive to the right team. If we land McLemore or Shabbaz then Affalo is gone before the start of next season.
mbn23
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by mbn23 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:12 am

darthmerrick wrote:He's gone 2 years from now. Henny thought Affalo could turn into an allstar. That was a bust and Vucevic turned out to be the best asset we got for Howard.

So Affalo is a reasonable asset that could be attractive to the right team. If we land McLemore or Shabbaz then Affalo is gone before the start of next season.

I would definately agree, I really feel come draft night either way he'll be gone, if not before then.
Just Sayin
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#4 » by OrlandoMagician » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 am

I'm much higher on Afflalo than most, and don't think he's a bust yet. Think he's just not particularly suited to a rebuild, he'd be much more effective on a good team. Would be a great fit for a team like the Bulls. Perhaps lacking some motivation right now, and you can kinda see why.

Agree that if we have intentions of drafting McLemore or Shabazz, we'll trade him by draft night.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
Coach_McGuirk
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#5 » by Coach_McGuirk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:23 am

I wouldn't call him a bust, but he isn't someone to build around either. He is a decent role player and with a price tag of 7.5mil he is a good asset.
Image Image
Big Baby Davis in Shamu Attack Mode!!!!
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#6 » by woosah » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:43 am

darthmerrick wrote:He's gone 2 years from now. Henny thought Affalo could turn into an allstar. That was a bust and Vucevic turned out to be the best asset we got for Howard.

I don't think this is true. I think it's what fans hoped since his name was the most recognized in the trade.

Anyway, i don't think he makes it past next trade deadline. He is a good asset and does better in the shadow than in the spotlight (meaning needs a star to play next to).
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#7 » by Viper1500 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:57 am

Doubt anyone thought he'd be an "allstar". He's averaging 17ppg, and that is about what I expected, and better than what most thought. He's a solid player on a solid contract who can easily be moved whenever this team has intentions on replacing him with a better SG.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#8 » by woosah » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:01 am

^Some fans did have some unrealistic expectations. You hear it said in here that he isn't what they expected for why they are so negative toward him. I don't know where they got it from. He is doing what I expected.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
D12VCMagic
Sixth Man
And1: 441

Post#9 » by D12VCMagic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 am

People are calling him a bust? WTF did you expect, him turning into Kobe?

I just love how Magic fans love to trash Afflalo like he is a bum but they worship JJ as if he is an All Star or something. He isn't a great player, but he is doing exactly what I expected. Averaging about 17 ppg or so, though his three point shooting is down more than I expected.
ucfmay2000
Junior
And1: 49

Post#10 » by ucfmay2000 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:19 am

I rather trade AA than trading JJ. We have a good chance drafting McLemore or Shabbaz.

Assume Orlando keeps both AA and JJ, then resign JJ for 7 M per. Does it make senses to have 2 shoot guards on the roster with 7M per? I don't think Orlando will keep both AA and JJ after the trade deathline next week.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#11 » by SmiteaDwight » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:45 am

Afflalo is a stopgap.

He is overmatched as a go to player and is to forced to due to lack of other options, but he is appropriated paid. I highly doubt henny thought he would be much better than he has played.

I'd rather keep Jj but Afflalo's contract is much more palatable. I prefer JJ over afflalo for a number of reasons:

1)Passing- JJ is the one of the best passing 3 or 4 shooting guards in the league. Afflalo's assist ratio is roughly half of JJ's. You'd think with as much as Afflalo has the ball, and the fact that he played aside better players on other teams that he would be a better passer, but he is not.

2) defense- Afflao's decline defensively is well documented. Last year he scored efficiently but no longer served as a defensive stopper. It's a shame because that's probably his optimal role in this league.

3) defenses are queing in on afflalo this season because they know he's our only guy who can go 1 on 1 but you'd think his per would stay above 15 for the whole season. His per is currently at 13, which is pretty sad for a team's "best player"
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#12 » by magicman123 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:50 am

Afflalo is playing as expected, some people had some unrealistic expectations on him, they thought he was a 1 on 1 player, a play maker, a guy that is a natural scorer, we even heard he was the best pure scorer we had since Tmac?? he's simply a 1 dribble, spot up, type of player who can occasionally attack the basket or catch the ball in the post, for the people that knew his game, im sure they are satisfied with the way he is playing, i am

he should be traded, when is the question and it depends on what we do in the draft, if we draft Mclemore or Shabazz, you trade him, if we go the Smart/Bennett/Noel direction than you can keep him for another season
mbn23
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by mbn23 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:54 am

Now where I stand with AA, I never thought he was a bust, he is doing pretty much at level with what we thought. His numbers have been declining the last few months. It will be interesting to see what happens with him and also JJ over the next year or so.
Just Sayin
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#14 » by Skin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:13 am

Afflalo was hand picked by Hennigan. He's here for a while.

I'm pretty much laughing at the guys talking about him like he's a stop gap...player on the decline...a failure to live up to expectations... Lemme guess... these are the guys that hated Hedo when he first got here and wasn't living up to expectations (and then loved him during our Finals run).... these are the guys that hated Redick during all those years of mediocrity/failure (and love him now).... these are the "no patient, only see what's in front of my face" kinda critics.

AA isn't a star but he's a very solid player who is under-appreciated here because he was the most established player brought in under the Howard trade, so folks thought he would just come in fulfill the need to be the new star of the team. They expected a breakout performance like a young Tracy McGrady. Dude is getting paid less than half the amount TMac got when we brought him in. So folks need to adjust their expectations.

The common fan thinks that if you're not a star player or fan favorite, then you're expendable. That thinking needs to end. AA is a core piece of this team for now and the future.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#15 » by Bensational » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 am

AA is fine. He's a great value player who isn't a piece to build around, but he'd be a great compliment to a couple of other stars. Only problem with AA is whether or not our Next best prospect via the draft or FA plays SG, and how efficient then be of required to be a bench/6th man option.

I don't see AA lasting much longer than a couple of years, but that all depends on the players we acquire going forward. If we get Smart + Wiggins, then AA/JJ would compliment them well. If we get McLemore + someone else, AA is gone.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#16 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:21 am

I echo those that like Afflalo. He has been as advertised and I like his game. He wasn't meant to be an all-star. His role was to be a mentor for our young players, to instill winning habits in our team, and to hold down the shooting guard position with consistency. He has done all of the above.

And this might be for another thread, but I think both JJ and Afflalo are here past the trade deadline. If anything happens, I think Afflalo may be moved in the off-season or in a year or 2.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#17 » by OrlandO » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:14 am

Afflalo is doing alright. He's on a team with no stars and he wasn't meant to become a star either. There's a reason we have three guys averaging 14-16 pts/game on 14 FGA (four guys if you count JJ's efficient 15pts). They're all sharing the responsibility of first/second option until we get a star to take over that role. The truth is our current scorers are solid third options on a good team. Put a star and a potential allstar next to Afflalo and all of a sudden he'll look great for the role he's asked to play. He's on a good deal, still scores 16+/game, works hard and takes the game seriously. He's a good vet to have during a rebuild. It seems a lot of you want to get rid of every vet we have. I think we need to see more pieces of the puzzle before we move certain players...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#18 » by drsd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:45 am

I guess the issue for some is what to do with McLemuhammad if/when drafted.

My opinion is that keeping the best two locker room guys in Afflalo and Redick is more valuable for McLemuhammad than playing time. I have no problem with the rookie SG, whether McLemore or Muhammad, playing on the deep bench in 2013/14 with only spot SG and SF minutes.

Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#19 » by Javanar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 am

AA is a good player with a good contract. I am happy to see him in Magic uniform.

Forcing him to play as a SF reduces his numbers.

I think he is an important player for Magic, and also hope he will be a part of Magic's future.
I am not a native English speaker...
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#20 » by The Effect » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:22 am

My only issue with him is that if we have to choose between him and JJ, id rather have JJ

Return to Orlando Magic