ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Crawford

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#581 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2013 10:11 am

hands, I can see why Crawford would be upset about getting considerably less minutes than Temple.

Crawford has definitely improved his shooting from three. Jordan is an underrated passer, as Jamal Crawford is quoted in Mike Lee's article. From this season compared with his first, Jordan has improved his A/TO ratio from about 4:3 to 5:3. His 3PT% is a respectable .347.

If you look at how Randy distributes minutes per game, darn near every player in the top-8 of the rotation plays around 25-27 minutes per game. Crawford is right at 27 per game.

When you speak about shots, Crawford takes 16.2 FGA per 36 minutes, second only to Wall's 16.6. Seraphin also shoots 16.2 per 36. Interestingly, Crawford gets to the line at twice the rate Seraphin does. This, with Crawford only attempting 3.4 FTs per-36 minutes. hands, in addition to Jordan being upset about Temple's minutes, I agree with you that Seraphin's shots should be more distressing to Wittman than Crawford's because the young big man is not working hard to get inside and draw contact -- he's doing just the opposite and playing like an inefficient small.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2013.html

When I sorted the team by minutes per game, field goal attempts per 36, free throw attempts per 36, PER, and WS/48; I came to the conclusion hands, you're right, Jordan Crawford has been one of the best young players on the Wizards. That is a bittersweet conclusion and it explains a LOT about the Wizards.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#582 » by Nivek » Wed Feb 6, 2013 1:27 pm

I suspect that one reason Crawford may have seen his minutes reduced is his poor +/- numbers. The offense has been significantly worse when he's been in the game. Of course, that doesn't explain the continued playing time for Seraphin, who hasn't been nearly as productive as Crawford this season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#583 » by jivelikenice » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:16 pm

That's why it has to be more. Ever since he was late for shoot-around he's been in the dog house.

I think Jordan has to improve, but I'm really surprised that ppl feel he has the right to put like he has. I didn't know that if you disagree with the coach starting someone else in place of you after you're late to shoot-around that you have the right to come in, sulk, and hoist up ridiculous shots whenever you want. And its the same as last year. Did he have the right to basically throow a fit on the court when Nick got the starting job? Ppl complain when the young guys here have a sense of entitlement, but encourage that culture....doesn't make sense.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#584 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:31 pm

Why isn't he starting? Or getting heavy minutes?

Because he has played badly the last week or so. Really badly.

Jordan's first @900 minutes this season he was significantly improved. The last 200+ he's reverted to the old theme.

Who cares whether he pouts? Who cares whether he's a Wizard? He isn't and isn't likely ever to be even an average NBA 2. If he can be traded, great. If he learns something and goes back to the level of play of his first 900 minutes, then it makes the trade easier.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#585 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:21 pm

From the trade thread:

closg00 wrote:
Does your team need an explosive scorer on the cheap? It appears Wizards SG Jordan Crawford is eminently available

now that Bradley Beal is in full bloom and the Wizards' management and coaching staff are looking to finish the season strong (they're 11-8 since John Wall returned) to prove this roster, when healthy, is a playoff-caliber one to owner Ted Leonsis. Crawford can fill up a boxscore -- he averaged 19 points, six assists and five rebounds a game in December when he was playing 35 minutes -- but I can't tell you how many scouts and other basketball heads grind their teeth watching him play, in large degree because of a perceived selfish streak. In any case, he's averaged 12.5 minutes in February so far, even with Beal battling a wrist injury.

http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/b ... ce=twitter

This situation is a mess. I get that management doesn't believe we can win with Crawford. But if that's the case, they really should be doing a better job of selling him. If nothing else, they should have put him on the block a month ago when he was putting up nice box score numbers.

The last thing we should be doing is burying him on the bench. He should get minutes every night, but with a short leash. Let him know what the expectations are, play him, and yank him if he doesn't follow the game plan. At least that way, we aren't broadcasting to the world that we don't want him.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#586 » by jivelikenice » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Nivek wrote:I suspect that one reason Crawford may have seen his minutes reduced is his poor +/- numbers. The offense has been significantly worse when he's been in the game. Of course, that doesn't explain the continued playing time for Seraphin, who hasn't been nearly as productive as Crawford this season.

Agreed...I don't mind Crawford sitting. If he's still on the roster post deadline I hope it teaches him a lesson. That being said, I have a hard time justifying this when Seraphin still plays as much as he does. Where's the consistency in that?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#587 » by montestewart » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:17 pm

jivelikenice wrote:
Nivek wrote:I suspect that one reason Crawford may have seen his minutes reduced is his poor +/- numbers. The offense has been significantly worse when he's been in the game. Of course, that doesn't explain the continued playing time for Seraphin, who hasn't been nearly as productive as Crawford this season.

Agreed...I don't mind Crawford sitting. If he's still on the roster post deadline I hope it teaches him a lesson. That being said, I have a hard time justifying this when Seraphin still plays as much as he does. Where's the consistency in that?

Crawford was playing more when the team lacked alternatives. With Wall, Beal, Price, Temple, Martin, Webster, there are a lot of people that can play in front of him.

I don't always understand why Seraphin is on the floor, but the two that play in front of him are older players, and one of them is coming back from injury. Until Vesely, Booker, Singleton, or some other player can offer something more, Seraphin will probably keep getting his minutes, even if he's stinking it up.

I wonder if Seraphin sees that he could be the next Crawford?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#588 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 pm

I get why they are playing Kevin. Its because they are looking to develop him. He has shown skills on the offensive side of his game and at 6-9 270 he is a big boy. Up until that 2nd half melt down against DET, the 3 games before that he was playing stronger in the post, passing out of the post and shooting more efficient. And grabbing rebounds at a good rate.

To play efficient basketball, you can only have so many project players out there are a time and Kevin is clearly a project they are working on right now. And it makes sense. If they can just tweak his focus to be more in line with what they want, he could turn the corner kind of quickly.

They seem to have him in the 15 min slot and for 3 games he did well with poor games on both sides of that.

As for Crawford, I think they blow it with him all year. I like what Temple adds as a defensive guard that can play PG or SG, Beal clearly is going to get minutes but there is no way Price is a better talent then Crawford.

Ending last year this team needed a legit back up PG and they went looking for a Mack upgrade and all they found was Price. Price plays basically the same game Mack did only he is marginally better which is no where near the talent you want at back up PG. Crawford is way closer to what they need there then Price is.

And this was a big blunder from EG, Ted, Randy and however else was involved because Crawford was already on the team and he is a much better options. They wasted a lot of time screwing around looking and all they got was Price, Pargo for a few games, Livingston on and then off before calling up Temple ? And at the end of the season, unless Crawford is the answer there, they still have the same problem ending this season they did ending last season. THEY NEED A LEGIT BACK UP PG. They solved nothing.

Crawford should have started at PG from day one with Wall out. That is where they needed to groom him.

It kills me that they missed that opportunity so badly all year and last. I think it fits Crawford skills very well. He is a player that plays best with more minutes and with the ball in his hands so he can get a rhythm. He can probe the defense and drive and shoot floaters. And he can pass. As a PG, he doesn't shoot to much and if he was, they had plenty of time to work with him on decision making. Had they, he would have been ready to be the back up when Wall returned where they could play him min and in a style that he could still be productive.

As the back up PG he would get in the flow of the game. Then he would be warmed up if you needed him down the stretch. And if Wall ever went out, he is much better skilled to step in there then Price is. Price plays like a robot like Mack did. And he can't press the defense to adjust to him being on the floor. That is what we need from our back up PG.

If Crawford gets moved, I hope it is to a team that sees him as a PG/SG type more then a pure SG. If that happens, I think he will make a name for himself and stick around the league for a long time.

As is, they have him bench while they try to retrofit his game. Would have been much smarter to use his skills to fill the gaping whole they team currently has that his existing skills could fill.

Oh well.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#589 » by Kanyewest » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:18 pm

nate33 wrote:From the trade thread:

closg00 wrote:
Does your team need an explosive scorer on the cheap? It appears Wizards SG Jordan Crawford is eminently available

now that Bradley Beal is in full bloom and the Wizards' management and coaching staff are looking to finish the season strong (they're 11-8 since John Wall returned) to prove this roster, when healthy, is a playoff-caliber one to owner Ted Leonsis. Crawford can fill up a boxscore -- he averaged 19 points, six assists and five rebounds a game in December when he was playing 35 minutes -- but I can't tell you how many scouts and other basketball heads grind their teeth watching him play, in large degree because of a perceived selfish streak. In any case, he's averaged 12.5 minutes in February so far, even with Beal battling a wrist injury.

http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/b ... ce=twitter

This situation is a mess. I get that management doesn't believe we can win with Crawford. But if that's the case, they really should be doing a better job of selling him. If nothing else, they should have put him on the block a month ago when he was putting up nice box score numbers.

The last thing we should be doing is burying him on the bench. He should get minutes every night, but with a short leash. Let him know what the expectations are, play him, and yank him if he doesn't follow the game plan. At least that way, we aren't broadcasting to the world that we don't want him.

I think Wittman is concerned about winning games, not increasing players values so that they can get traded. I don't see how much more value Crawford has especially if he makes it harder for the WIzards to win. Hopefully the benching encourages him to improve his game. Not sure what the Wizards can get for Jordan Crawford when the Wizards essentially got nothing for someone like Nick Young.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#590 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I think Wittman is concerned about winning games, not increasing players values so that they can get traded. I don't see how much more value Crawford has especially if he makes it harder for the WIzards to win. Hopefully the benching encourages him to improve his game. Not sure what the Wizards can get for Jordan Crawford when the Wizards essentially got nothing for someone like Nick Young.

Young is a poor analogy because Young was due to be a free agent in 30 games. Crawford still has another year on his contract.

I get your point about Wittman trying to win some games. It wouldn't bother me if Crawford is benched with the goal of having him improve his game for next year. But if he got benched and then we put him on the block, well that's just stupid. If we want to trade him, then we should make an effort to prop up his value a bit, since it's not like we're going to make the playoffs anyway.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#591 » by Kanyewest » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 am

^^ They still think that they can still think make the playoffs though. Good point on Young being a free agent.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#592 » by jimij » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Once Beal is back in the starting lineup I'd like to see Randy try playing to play Temple at the backup PG slot with Crawford at the 2 rather than using price. Price and Crawford are both pound the rock guys who are looking for their own shot more of the time and I hate the way the ball movement grinds to halt with the second unit with these two together.

Price is a better defender and Crawford is the better scorer and creator. Of the two I'd rather take the chance on developing Crawford - Price is what he's going to be which isn't much IMO. By going with Temple at PG Crawford will still get to handle the ball a good bit but there is at least another guard out there who can make sure everyone else gets involved as well. Plus he's a good defender and we can hide Crawford on whichever guard is the lesser challenge (Price is too small to guard most SG's but Temple can guard either position).

It's not that I necessarily think Temple is a better player than Price, more that he's just a better fit with Crawford and for how the team is trying to play?
hands11
Banned User

Post#593 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:58 pm

jimij wrote:Once Beal is back in the starting lineup I'd like to see Randy try playing to play Temple at the backup PG slot with Crawford at the 2 rather than using price. Price and Crawford are both pound the rock guys who are looking for their own shot more of the time and I hate the way the ball movement grinds to halt with the second unit with these two together.

Price is a better defender and Crawford is the better scorer and creator. Of the two I'd rather take the chance on developing Crawford - Price is what he's going to be which isn't much IMO. By going with Temple at PG Crawford will still get to handle the ball a good bit but there is at least another guard out there who can make sure everyone else gets involved as well. Plus he's a good defender and we can hide Crawford on whichever guard is the lesser challenge (Price is too small to guard most SG's but Temple can guard either position).

It's not that I necessarily think Temple is a better player than Price, more that he's just a better fit with Crawford and for how the team is trying to play?

Yes. Exactly. In triplicate. We have already wasted to much time on Price. He has done well for himself. He got better. But he still leaves us needing to upgrade at back up PG which was the goal leaving last season so why keep wasting time with him. Temple is great defender who can guard 3 positions and he can play PG or off the ball as a SG so that works great with Crawford.

Crawford will get to handle the ball as PG on at least half the offensive sets which is what he needs to get in a grove, then you can play him off the ball as well and run some sets where he camps in the corner 3. Only he will be warmed up to hit them when he gets them instead of being cold just playing off the ball. That isn't his game and it doesn't maximize his talent.

Randy can be a stubborn SOB. He is trying to totally change Crawford instead of maximizing him and tweaking his game. Not very smart in my book. Crawford and Temple would be very worth looking into. It would be a huge upgrade for the second unit. As it is right now, Crawford is wasting away on the bench and this was your leading scorer for most of the year. Its just stupid.

And if tanking has anything to do with it, this is not to draft to tank for unless you plan on turning your high first into two mid round firsts.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#594 » by jivelikenice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:47 am

@Jcraw55 12/1/12 - 12/31/12 20 6 5

Now Jordan is tweeting his December stats....perfect. While I think he's gotten the shaft to some degree (mainly cause other guys like Seraphin continue to get PT), he's just a clown and needs to go....the sooner the better. This team doesn't need Jordan going to twitter to air his grievances, especially with their improved play. He didnt complain when his #s were solid but we lost every night. Loser mentality....singleton toughed it out and was still team first on twitter while in the doghouse....now his play has improved. Jordan is a loser....needs to be on a vet team where he's held accountable.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#595 » by AFM » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:51 am

I don't think Jordan is a loser. I feel for the guy. How he gets benched but Seraphin gets regularly PT blows my mind.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#596 » by jivelikenice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:58 am

I think it's inconsistent coaching, but I don't feel sorry for the dude at all...he's not entitled to anything. He's gotten a bigger opportunity here than he would have gotten anywhere else.....
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#597 » by jivelikenice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:58 am

I think it's inconsistent coaching, but I don't feel sorry for the dude at all...he's not entitled to anything. He's gotten a bigger opportunity here than he would have gotten anywhere else.....
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#598 » by fishercob » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:33 pm

jivelikenice wrote:@Jcraw55 12/1/12 - 12/31/12 20 6 5

Now Jordan is tweeting his December stats....perfect. While I think he's gotten the shaft to some degree (mainly cause other guys like Seraphin continue to get PT), he's just a clown and needs to go....the sooner the better. This team doesn't need Jordan going to twitter to air his grievances, especially with their improved play. He didnt complain when his #s were solid but we lost every night. Loser mentality....singleton toughed it out and was still team first on twitter while in the doghouse....now his play has improved. Jordan is a loser....needs to be on a vet team where he's held accountable.

100% agree. All you need to know about the importance of those stats is that the Wiz were 3-11 in December -- and they're over .500 since. The fact that he doesn't grasp tells us -- or confirms, rather -- all we need to know about Jordan Crawford. He's not a guy I enjoy watching or rooting for, and I'd be shocked if any team for which he got regular minutes was ever any good. Just not a winning player.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User

Post#599 » by hands11 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:06 pm

fishercob wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:@Jcraw55 12/1/12 - 12/31/12 20 6 5

100% agree. All you need to know about the importance of those stats is that the Wiz were 3-11 in December -- and they're over .500 since. The fact that he doesn't grasp tells us -- or confirms, rather -- all we need to know about Jordan Crawford. He's not a guy I enjoy watching or rooting for, and I'd be shocked if any team for which he got regular minutes was ever any good. Just not a winning player.

That is ignoring so much I would take pretty much nothing from that simple of an evaluation.

I'm not all in for Crawford regarding him being a future piece. I have always leaned toward them moving him eventually when the time is right but giving him a chance to help the team and maximize his value while keeping their eyes open for the right move with there being a small chance he works out here along the way.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... fjo02.html

He has improved year over year. Even his defense. People want to see young players improve. We here is one that has. So they want even more from him regarding defense. Fine. They limited his minutes and then eventually bench him in part because of that and in part because they were winning and mixing Wall and Beal into things. Fine. Now lets see what he does when they play him again and if they play him in a way to maximize what he can contribute that the team needs. The team does actually have needs at back up PG and SG.

If they want to keep him benched, fine, let see what they come up with as an alternative. If it is Price and Temple, good luck with that. Maybe they go Price and Webster. That would work ok maybe but neither drives as well as Crawford. For me, I think the Crawford and Temple is worth a look. I could see what working.

He could be productive for the team there and that would also raise him value. I don't think anyone is trading for Price or Temple. People might actually be interested in Crawford. Specially if he can back up at PG which has has. In one of the five games he started at PG he posted a TRIPLE DOUBLE.

List the back up SGs that have been able to do that this year. Hell, add in last year if you want. And he is only 24 years old and making 2M next year. Some team is going to see the value in that.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#600 » by montestewart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 pm

hands11 wrote:I have always leaned toward them moving him eventually when the time is right but giving him a chance to help the team and maximize his value while keeping their eyes open for the right move with there being a small chance he works out here along the way.

Me, too.

Return to Washington Wizards