ImageImageImage

Pick Watch 2013

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Re: Pick Watch 2013 

Post#81 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I'm sure we'll consider trading the pick, but as mentioned it's tough to find good players on good contracts that other teams are willing to trade for picks. Monetarily, we might be better off just keeping the pick and having a player who's paid rookie scale.

rebuilding teams trade solid vets for draft picks all the time.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#82 » by [RCG] » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:WTF are you talking about? Bud looked exactly like what we needed until he tore his meniscus and I hope he is brought back next season. And remind me please how many games have Terence Jones won for Houston?
And as far as players available for our draft pick? I'm pretty sure someone like Afflalo is a good target.

I'm just saying that things didn't go as planned and now Bud is a RFA with basically no court times for the Wolves. And Afflalo might be available but he was pretty much the key piece for Dwight and it would likely have to be D.Will + our 1st for Afflalo. We got lucky that a number of factors combined to make Budinger available. Guys who are likely to be available:

DeRozan, Dudley, Turner, Henderson, Gordon, Brooks, maybe Afflalo, Ellis, Brewer, Chandler, Evans. Some of those guys would probably need more than the 1st too. I don't think we're "trading a pick for a final piece" away.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#83 » by Worm Guts » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I'm sure we'll consider trading the pick, but as mentioned it's tough to find good players on good contracts that other teams are willing to trade for picks. Monetarily, we might be better off just keeping the pick and having a player who's paid rookie scale.

rebuilding teams trade solid vets for draft picks all the time.

But those vets have big contracts, and that might be an issue for us.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#84 » by Worm Guts » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 pm

[RCG] wrote:
Turnover_21 wrote:WTF are you talking about? Bud looked exactly like what we needed until he tore his meniscus and I hope he is brought back next season. And remind me please how many games have Terence Jones won for Houston?
And as far as players available for our draft pick? I'm pretty sure someone like Afflalo is a good target.

I'm just saying that things didn't go as planned and now Bud is a RFA with basically no court times for the Wolves. And Afflalo might be available but he was pretty much the key piece for Dwight and it would likely have to be D.Will + our 1st for Afflalo. We got lucky that a number of factors combined to make Budinger available. Guys who are likely to be available:

DeRozan, Dudley, Turner, Henderson, Gordon, Brooks, maybe Afflalo, Ellis, Brewer, Chandler, Evans. Some of those guys would probably need more than the 1st too. I don't think we're "trading a pick for a final piece" away.

I don't think I'd trade our pick for any of those guys, let alone a pick +.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#85 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 pm

[RCG] wrote:

We are on pace for a top 10 pick. And most players on your list are realistic gets, many due to contract reasons. And do you really want to trade a top 10 pick for Brooks, Brewer or Dudley?
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#86 » by [RCG] » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 am

I listed guys who are reasonably available and I wouldn't trade a top-10 picks for most of those guys. Dudley I would, but would Phoenix? Afflalo I would but thats about it.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,584

Post#87 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 am

[RCG] wrote:I listed guys who are reasonably available and I wouldn't trade a top-10 picks for most of those guys. Dudley I would, but would Phoenix? Afflalo I would but thats about it.

Dudley's not worth a top 10 pick.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#88 » by [RCG] » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:12 am

Dudley is worth the #8 or #9 pick if Porter, Len, Noel, McLemore, Shabazz are all gone. Or Dudley + a later pick.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#89 » by Tirion » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 am

Turnover_21 wrote:And again your boy Kevin Love just met with grandpa Glenn and apparently they are on the same page and I can bet money that the page is called winning more games in near future.

They met because Taylor needs to sell tickets for the 2nd half of the season, so he was asking Love to play in March-April.

Short-term cash rules everyting around Papa Glen. Often to the detriment of the other aspects of franchise managment.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#90 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 am

Tirion wrote:
Turnover_21 wrote:And again your boy Kevin Love just met with grandpa Glenn and apparently they are on the same page and I can bet money that the page is called winning more games in near future.

They met because Taylor needs to sell tickets for the 2nd half of the season, so he was asking Love to play in March-April.

Short-term cash rules everyting around Papa Glen. Often to the detriment of the other aspects of franchise managment.

You're wrong. Taylor has Rubio to sell tickets and it's not hard to see why. As you might have noticed Love fell out of favor with alot of fans. So I think the meeting was more to clear the air and to see if Love may want to change address. So far he said that he wants to stick around for now.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by Tirion » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 am

Turnover_21 wrote:
Tirion wrote:

You're wrong. Taylor has Rubio to sell tickets and it's not hard to see why. As you might have noticed Love fell out of favor with alot of fans. So I think the meeting was more to clear the air and to see if Love may want to change address. So far he said that he wants to stick around for now.

You're out of the loop, they are doubling/tripling the rate for season tickets, while the product is still losses and no playoffs, plus the arena is half-empty all the time.

Rubio alone is not enough for that and Glen is desperate.

And nobody is talking about those idiots still mad at Love, I'm talking about people who go to games.

First, though, Taylor said, the Wolves (19-31 at the all-star break) have to get through this season.

"And see how it goes," he said.

Taylor told Love that it's important for the owner to find out, "at some point in time," if he can play toward the end of the season.

"Because that will give us some information," he said.

Love, a two-time all-star, hasn't played since fracturing his right hand Jan. 3 in Denver.

Taylor said his chat with Love "wasn't any big secret. We just talked about things. My concern is how is he coming, getting ready, his physical shape. He says he's doing all those things and I really believe him. He's hopeful (to return by) mid-March. It's up to the doctor, the trainers, how well he feels. I think it's important that we communicate."

http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ ... nsin-under
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#92 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 am

Taylor gave out the biggest contract in NBA history and has gone into the luxury tax multiple times. He's not quite the cheapskate you make him out to be.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by Tirion » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 am

When was the last time he was in the tax tho?
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by Tirion » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:24 am

And it isn't even about the tax really (I mean even OKC aren't going there with the new CBA).

It's about Taylor willing to

1) risk possible re-injury for Love;
2) decrease the chances for a high pick in a lost season;

so he could justify a higher pricetag.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#95 » by southern wolf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:50 am

Tirion wrote:When was the last time he was in the tax tho?

We haven't had a playoff calibre squad to warrant it in years.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by Tirion » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:58 am

southern wolf wrote:

Which obviously gives FO the greenlight to trade borderline All-Stars for 2nd round picks, sell draft picks for money and lowball your franchise player.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#97 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 am

Which borderline all-star did we trade for 2nd round picks?
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by Tirion » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 am

southern wolf wrote:

And we have one now.

Is Glen going to match offers for PEK?

Or add quality players to the roster?
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by Tirion » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 am

Worm Guts wrote:Which borderline all-star did we trade for 2nd round picks?

Big Al.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#100 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:10 am

Tirion wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Which borderline all-star did we trade for 2nd round picks?

Big Al.

We got 2 firsts for Al.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves