ImageImageImageImage

If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Who should they take?

Nerlens Noel
21%
Ben McLemore
23%
Shabazz Muhammad
15%
Marcus Smart
28%
Cody Zeller
1%
Otto Porter
1%
Anthony Bennett
4%
Other
7%

Total votes: 137

OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Re: If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take? 

Post#121 » by OrlandoMagician » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:14 pm

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:Who would you rather have, shebazz or B-mac? There's something about Shabazz I don't like. . .

I get that. Something about Shabazz seems a bit off, this is perhaps an unfair perception as some people have said at rumours of personality issues are wide of the mark, but McLemore comes across more coachable and more of a team guy. I just don't see Henny drafting Shabazz unless he's really, really high on his potential. Think he'd be inclined to go with McL or Smart.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#122 » by drsd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:12 pm

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:Who would you rather have, shebazz or B-mac? There's something about Shabazz I don't like. . .

Another point is that McLemore's game more compliments Harkless'. But the fit of both really depends on the game-style of Orlando's next PG. A pass-first or a drive-to-the-basket PG fits McLemore. In contrast, Muhammad's game is more suited to a spot-up 3-style PG.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#123 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:45 pm

OrlandoMagician wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:
OrlandoMagician wrote:Here's a question: if we draft Smart, will we bench Jameer? Or trade him?

Top 5 draft picks simply HAVE to start as rookies, or their growth can be stunted.

I'm not sold that you have to start rookies. Jameer will start over most rookie point guards. And that's okay. Smart will need some mentoring to learn the nuances and ropes of the position. And Meer is a good person to have around for that.

Would you agree that a guy like Smart needs at least 25mpg as a rookie? I just think high lottery picks need to be given every opportunity to show their stuff and learn the NBA. Given Smart's size for a pg (6'4") and defensive ability I could definitely see opportunities for him to share the floor with Jameer, as well as play with Afflalo. I do like the idea of Jameer teaching him the ropes though.

I don't view it that way. I think it's possible that Smart could get 25 mpg, especially due to his ability to play multiple positions. But, I wouldn't give a rookie minutes solely because I want him to develop his game. I still think those minutes have to be earned. And that's not just for lottery picks, but all picks. If we get a 2nd round pick that's a better player than a lottery pick, I expect him to play more.

I don't view starting or extended playing time during one's rookie year as vital for the development of a rookie. See Kobe Bryant. There's a large learning curve in the NBA and I actually like the approach that the Magic have had with rookies. I think it's a good idea to have a coach place rookies in situations that they can succeed in rather than throwing them to wolves, watching them screw up, and have guys like us on the forum tear him up for being awful.
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#124 » by Flannerz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:29 pm

OrlandoMagician wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:
OrlandoMagician wrote:Here's a question: if we draft Smart, will we bench Jameer? Or trade him?

Top 5 draft picks simply HAVE to start as rookies, or their growth can be stunted.

I'm not sold that you have to start rookies. Jameer will start over most rookie point guards. And that's okay. Smart will need some mentoring to learn the nuances and ropes of the position. And Meer is a good person to have around for that.

Would you agree that a guy like Smart needs at least 25mpg as a rookie? I just think high lottery picks need to be given every opportunity to show their stuff and learn the NBA. Given Smart's size for a pg (6'4") and defensive ability I could definitely see opportunities for him to share the floor with Jameer, as well as play with Afflalo. I do like the idea of Jameer teaching him the ropes though.

He's get enough minutes over a season due to Nelson's injuries!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#125 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Orlando needs to draft Marcus Smart. After watching McElmore play more and more I hope the Cats pick him first. Smart is overall more skilled imo, better passer, higher IQ, more creative off the dribble and apt to getting to the FT line.
Just seems like McElmore's ceiling is Jamal Crawford, not a bad thing,but not great. I just get that kinda vibe from watching him play. Smart has the build and skill of a Harden type player, don't flame me not saying it's a lock but he plays like him a little.

EDIT: I'm also intrigued with Bennett he's super skilled, high IQ, and a good feel for the game. He and Smart seem like "Hennigan guys". Not to mention his power game, shooting touch, rebounding and defensive potential, along with his ridiculous 7'1 wing span. I'm still leaning towards a playmaker on the wings but I also wouldn't be mad if we ended up with Bennett.

Noel is overrated as I've said on numerous occassions. No offensive game, can't hit free throws, super athletic, great defender. Sounds familiar. Noel = Tyrus Thomas I'm sticking to that unless he proves me wrong. More is needed from a projected top 3 pick.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#126 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Orlando needs to draft Marcus Smart. After watching McElmore play more and more I hope the Cats pick him first. Smart is overall more skilled imo, better passer, higher IQ, more creative off the dribble and apt to getting to the FT line.
Just seems like McElmore's ceiling is Jamal Crawford, not a bad thing,but not great. I just get that kinda vibe from watching him play. Smart has the build and skill of a Harden type player, don't flame me not saying it's a lock but he plays like him a little.

EDIT: I'm also intrigued with Bennett he's super skilled, high IQ, and a good feel for the game. He and Smart seem like "Hennigan guys". Not to mention his power game, shooting touch, rebounding and defensive potential, along with his ridiculous 7'1 wing span. I'm still leaning towards a playmaker on the wings but I also wouldn't be mad if we ended up with Bennett.

Noel is overrated as I've said on numerous occassions. No offensive game, can't hit free throws, super athletic, great defender. Sounds familiar. Noel = Tyrus Thomas I'm sticking to that unless he proves me wrong. More is needed from a projected top 3 pick.

Isn't smart supposed to be a lockdown defender?
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#127 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Orlando needs to draft Marcus Smart. After watching McElmore play more and more I hope the Cats pick him first. Smart is overall more skilled imo, better passer, higher IQ, more creative off the dribble and apt to getting to the FT line.

Isn't smart supposed to be a lockdown defender?

One on one defensively he's very good. I see him losing his man sometimes and occassionaly I've seen him miss a rotation but those seem like freshman mistakes. Nothing that can't be corrected or taught. He's just a more well rounded player. Im not sure what Burke does better than Smart to warrant reaching for him as some have suggested.

We finally get the "big pg" that everyone has been crying about for the last 7 years, in addition to that he actually has good court vision, plays defense, and he's a triple threat type player imo. Not sure where the confusion is between him and Burke. It's not even close imo. Burke is not a a lottery pick.
#2A
#Adopt
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#128 » by drsd » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote: (on Smart's defense) Nothing that can't be corrected or taught.

To agree, team defense is the most "teachable" skill an NBA player can learn!

We finally get the "big pg" that everyone has been crying about for the last 7 years, ...

One cannot teach height. And Orlando has suffered in certain situations with Nelson at PG. So, there has been a point to this.

Not sure where the confusion is between him and Burke. It's not even close imo. Burke is not a a lottery pick.

Smart is a lock for the top 6 and right now Burke is a lock to be below the top 10. In that sense, you are correct. One point I have made is that I project Burke as a player capable of starting for many years; I do not project that for Smart. So, draft position and player capacity are not the same discussion.

So I come back to my point: if Orlando gains a marginal NBA starter as the PG replacement for Nelson in the 18-22 range (from a pick gained in the coming trades), boy that would be excellent!

Also, Orlando looks to draft when better BPAs are available than Smart. So, Smart is not a good selection at, say, #2 or #3, as McLemore or Muhammad would be available (and even Bennett maybe a more wise choice than Smart).

p.s. nbadraft.net now projects Orlando drafting Zeller; gosh help us if that were to happen!

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#129 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 pm

drsd wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote: (on Smart's defense) Nothing that can't be corrected or taught.

To agree, team defense is the most "teachable" skill an NBA player can learn!

We finally get the "big pg" that everyone has been crying about for the last 7 years, ...

One cannot teach height. And Orlando has suffered in certain situations with Nelson at PG. So, there has been a point to this.

Not sure where the confusion is between him and Burke. It's not even close imo. Burke is not a a lottery pick.

Smart is a lock for the top 6 and right now Burke is a lock to be below the top 10. In that sense, you are correct. One point I have made is that I project Burke as a player capable of starting for many years; I do not project that for Smart. So, draft position and player capacity are not the same discussion.

So I come back to my point: if Orlando gains a marginal NBA starter as the PG replacement for Nelson in the 18-22 range (from a pick gained in the coming trades), boy that would be excellent!

Also, Orlando looks to draft when better BPAs are available than Smart. So, Smart is not a good selection at, say, #2 or #3, as McLemore or Muhammad would be available (and even Bennett maybe a more wise choice than Smart).

p.s. nbadraft.net now projects Orlando drafting Zeller; gosh help us if that were to happen!

All possibilities. I think Smart will amount to more than that but whatever, he could turn out to be Mateen Cleaves. I think Cody is only marginally better than his brother and I think Vucci is better, so please no.
#2A
#Adopt
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#130 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Hennigan needs to acquire another 1st rd pick in this draft, in the middle of the round. Draft Shabazz with the top 3 pick and Trey Burke with middle of the 1st rd pick.

Burke/Moore
Shabazz/Redick
Harkless/DeQuan Jones
Nicholson/O'Quinn
Vucevic/ draft or sign a defensive center in FA next 2 yrs

This team can compete for a championship in 3-4 years.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#131 » by Bensational » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm

just from watching highlights and youtube 'scouting' clips, all 3 of Smart, McLemore and Bazz look like they can be real contributors. i think it will be a successful draft if we can walk away with one of them.

one thing that really impresses me about McLemore is his ability to absorb contact, but still get good shots off. It really reminds me of Dwayne Wade. not saying he will be Wade 2.0, but that skill reminds me of him.

Smart just looks all out solid in every way. good eyes, good vision, hustles on defense, great size.

Bazz is the one i'm least impressed with, but i still think he's got potential. he doesn't seem to move well off the ball (he'll run to get himself open, but it's not always to the benefit of the team, can often just lead to a one on one opportunity for him), but he's still got a solid knack for scoring.

i would be very excited if we could land McLemore or Smart, and i trust Hennigan to pick the best of those two prospects, too.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#132 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:18 am

I see smart's floor as Kyle Lowry, I'm not sure about ceiling, I'm being extremely optimistic here and I'm probably dreaming, but a name I'll throw out there for his ceiling is Jason Kidd, I'm not too sure about that one though :oops: , I can't find a comparison I like. What y'all think?
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 701

Post#133 » by Darth Magic » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 am

I'm pretty convinced Smart is our guy. Just a feeling but it seems too perfect a fit.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
Orlando Prodigy
Senior
And1: 112

Post#134 » by Orlando Prodigy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 am

I'd really like Smart but if we can get McLemore/Shabazz, I'd rather have one of them and try snagging Trey Burke later on.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#135 » by magicman123 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 am

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:I see smart's floor as Kyle Lowry, I'm not sure about ceiling, I'm being extremely optimistic here and I'm probably dreaming, but a name I'll throw out there for his ceiling is Jason Kidd, I'm not too sure about that one though :oops: , I can't find a comparison I like. What y'all think?

He's more Billups than Kidd
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#136 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:10 am

magicman123 wrote:
IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:I see smart's floor as Kyle Lowry, I'm not sure about ceiling, I'm being extremely optimistic here and I'm probably dreaming, but a name I'll throw out there for his ceiling is Jason Kidd, I'm not too sure about that one though :oops: , I can't find a comparison I like. What y'all think?

What makes you say that?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#137 » by tiderulz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 am

magicman123 wrote:

that isnt a bad thing. Billups wasnt the passer Kidd was, but a good defender, smart player and deadly when needed.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,881

Post#138 » by eyriq » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 am

Smart still strikes me as the no brainier here.
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#139 » by OrlandoMagician » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 pm

I like the look of Oladipo. Looking forward to watching him for Indiana tonight.

Where is he projected to go in the draft? Looks a real athlete, defender, transition scorer.

Also, why does NBADraft.net think we'll draft Zeller with the #2? I just don't see it. -- http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

^^ There's some bizzare selections in their mock draft. Washington drafting Smart? (They have Wall). Us drafting Zeller? (Vucevic). Cleveland drafting Noel? (they have Thompson and Zeller, but couuuld happen because he might be the best player available to them. I still see them taking a wing scorer though).
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
oakfanintheeast
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#140 » by oakfanintheeast » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:15 am

Muhammad, or MCW.

Return to Orlando Magic