ImageImageImage

Taylor and the Lux Tax

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Taylor and the Lux Tax 

Post#1 » by shrink » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am

Larry Coon recently made a spreadsheet documenting whether owners gained, or lost money to the lux tax.

http://cbafaq.com/blog/

Teams that never paid tax, like NOH, OKC, LAC, and CHI, got paid by owners ove the lux to the tune of $27.8 mil since 2002.

The owners/teams that paid the most?

NYK: $192.8
DAL: $150.4
LAL: $80.3
POR: $77.9
BOS: $32.8
CLE: $25.5
ORL: $19.6
SAC: $14.1
MIN: $10.1

Taylor was 9th.

One of the things I noticed is that the names of the teams you see here are teams with superstars. When Taylor had Garnett, Taylor paid $23.6 mil to try to buy talent around him. Others, particularly big market teams, tend to just stay up there with high salary.

This gives me some hope. If Taylor believe Love and Rubio can be stars, he may go over the lux to put more talent around them this summer when it's time to sign Pek. However, Taylor may want to see those guys win some games before he goes over the lux for them.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Re: Taylor and the Lux Tax 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 am

shrink wrote:
This gives me some hope. If Taylor believe Love and Rubio can be stars, he may go over the lux to put more talent around them this summer when it's time to sign Pek. However, Taylor may want to see those guys win some games before he goes over the lux for them.

Yes, but that was only in three seasons that we went over, and over 2/3rds of it was paid in one season. The team was split because Sprewell and Cassell wanted more money.

That makes me nervous.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#3 » by Tirion » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 am

1) Taylor claims to be in the red for the last 5-6 years;

2) He's trying to sell for the last 2;

3) The Lux Tax is much harsher under new CBA.

If you think he's paying it, you're crazy. And I don't think the next guy will either.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#4 » by Tirion » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:03 am

Also Cuban is **** crazy. Almost twice more than the Lakers? Damn.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:14 am

Tirion wrote:2) He's trying to sell for the last 2.

I don't think "trying to sell" is the right way to put it. He's looking for a minority partner who could be eased into a majority share.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#6 » by LordBaldric » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 am

The issue with Taylor isn't spending, it's putting dumb asses in charge of personnel decisions.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#7 » by Murphs56 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 am

LordBaldric wrote:The issue with Taylor isn't spending, it's putting dumb asses in charge of personnel decisions.

If Kahn gets a new contract, you know the dude has lost it...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#8 » by shrink » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 am

I think selling part of the team could increase the chance that he will go over the lux. If you feel that there could be a much bigger NBA market in Minneapolis if the product was better (and I do), a little extra spending could greatly increase the value of his asset. If he increases the value of the Minnesota Timberwolves, selling a share at the higher value may be worth more than any lux tazes he would pay.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#9 » by lobishome » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:09 am

I don't know nothing about NBA taxes, franchises, etc ... Surely Taylor is a clever man, a very very clever man, but I can't understand why he said that he wanted to sell the team and this news is in the media along two years. This is terrible for the team. What elite player would want to sign for a team for sale? How do you can convince Kevin Love that the Wolves have a long term project? How do you can convince Rubio to sign a contract extension?

This team needs a signal from the owner before this Thursday.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#10 » by Basti » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 am

lobishome wrote:I don't know nothing about NBA taxes, franchises, etc ... Surely Taylor is a clever man, a very very clever man, but I can't understand why he said that he wanted to sell the team and this news is in the media along two years. This is terrible for the team. What elite player would want to sign for a team for sale? How do you can convince Kevin Love that the Wolves have a long term project? How do you can convince Rubio to sign a contract extension?

I don't think players care that much about the location of a team as long as they have a longterm contract. Or, I should rather say, they care more about their personal income than where they play. They know it's business.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#11 » by Dewey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:58 am

lobishome wrote:I don't know nothing about NBA taxes, franchises, etc ... Surely Taylor is a clever man, a very very clever man, but I can't understand why he said that he wanted to sell the team and this news is in the media along two years. This is terrible for the team. What elite player would want to sign for a team for sale? How do you can convince Kevin Love that the Wolves have a long term project? How do you can convince Rubio to sign a contract extension?

You're missing the boat here ... about 300 times Taylor has publically stated that he would like to transition the majority team ownership over several years or whatever it takes ... he is not looking to sell anytime soon. Whether or not he's willing to pay luxury tax is irrelevant, and no one in the NBA has ever brought this up except our own fans. If he's looking to make a couple/few hundred million he could sell tomorrow. He's a willing and able owner.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#12 » by lobishome » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Taylor said, Taylor said ... Taylor said "I want to bring a really good team to Minnesota that has a chance to win a championship" ... at 2010 September.

How many elite players has Taylor bring here since 2010 September? Have also they missed the boat to Minnesota?

Taylor said, Taylor said ...

:D
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 pm

I believe Taylor really does want to have a winning team, he just has no idea how to do it.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#14 » by C.lupus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I believe Taylor really does want to have a winning team, he just has no idea how to do it.

Agreed.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#15 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:33 pm

C.lupus wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I believe Taylor really does want to have a winning team, he just has no idea how to do it.

Agreed.

Draft good players, period. If you draft mega busts with your top 10 picks and treat picks outside the lotto like it's some random shot in the dark that's little more than a burden on your balance sheet, then you do not have a winning team.

Find teams that know how to do that and pluck a young exec from their front office w/ some good buzz and give him a shot. If he sucks, feel free to fire him and try again. Wolves GM's seem like they have tenure from day 1.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#16 » by PZiv » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
C.lupus wrote:

Agreed.

Draft good players, period. If you draft mega busts with your top 10 picks and treat picks outside the lotto like it's some random shot in the dark that's little more than a burden on your balance sheet, then you do not have a winning team.

Find teams that know how to do that and pluck a young exec from their front office w/ some good buzz and give him a shot. If he sucks, feel free to fire him and try again. Wolves GM's seem like they have tenure from day 1.

Or atleast trade those picks for somebody that actually does something, since only Al, Love, Rubio and Pek were good pick-ups in post Garnett era.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#17 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:33 am

And only Rubio was a Kahn pick... and Rubio wasn't being talked about being available at 5 for most of the pre-draft prognostications, so who was his REAL target? hmmm
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:38 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:And only Rubio was a Kahn pick... and Rubio wasn't being talked about being available at 5 for most of the pre-draft prognostications, so who was his REAL target? hmmm

Long and athletic? Obviously it was Thabeet... :lol:

PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#19 » by PZiv » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:03 am

Klomp wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:And only Rubio was a Kahn pick... and Rubio wasn't being talked about being available at 5 for most of the pre-draft prognostications, so who was his REAL target? hmmm

Now that I look at it, he took Jonny, Ty and Ricky. Apparently Minnesota choose to go/was forced to go with the worst option in the end. But again you waste 3! First round picks solely on Point Guards and 4th being used on a SG, how dumb is that?
That draft was good one and Minnesota had 4 picks in first round and 2 second rounders,
Of those 4's in first round, one was a complete bust, one came too late, one was traded and became major player on a possible future contender, and 2 second rounders never saw this league.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#20 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Klomp wrote:

Wouldn't be that surprising - dreams of an gigantic agile beast stopping every foray into the paint.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves