ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Raps @ Wiz 2-19-13 7:00PM

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Re: GT: Raps @ Wiz 2-19-13 7:00PM 

Post#201 » by jivelikenice » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 am

He missed a ton of Js during the three game home winning streak, but the offense was still effective because we had more shooters out there and spread the floor. We CAN'T do that when Okafor and Booker are getting all the minutes at the 4. That's common sense.....I HATE WITTMAN
Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Post#202 » by Deivy202 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 am

jivelikenice wrote:He missed a ton of Js during the three game home winning streak, but the offense was still effective because we had more shooters out there and spread the floor. We CAN'T do that when Okafor and Booker are getting all the minutes at the 4. That's common sense.....I HATE WITTMAN

And the worst part is we probably will draft the wrong player and pick up any USEFUL FA"S!
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#203 » by dangermouse » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:01 am

nate33 wrote:A couple of things:

- It's not as simple as "Wall is thinking too much", or "Wall should attack more/less". What happened was that Toronto implemented a game plan to stop Wall. They dared him to shoot the jumper, and sagged back on the pick and roll with Nene. That's going to happen all the time now. If Wall can't learn to shoot, he's just never going to be any good in the half court.

I didnt (read: couldnt) watch the whole game, but this is what I saw, too. Other teams should just look at what the Raps did when they game plan their defense. They gave wall the outside jumper and clogged the passing lanes and the key. We tried to counter by going with Nene in the post but they game planned for that as well and he was doubled instantly and really got taken out of his game.

We really need:

A) Wall to learn to shoot (obviously).

B) Someone who can isolate and be relied on to create their own shot and score or get fouled, just like Gay and even DeRozan were doing to us. Beal and Webster are good spot up shooters, but we really need that scorer. Shabazz?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#204 » by dangermouse » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 am

Their length really bothered us too. Beal got a real education in guarding a taller player (DeRozan). Lets hope he came away from todays match and learned a few things.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#205 » by jivelikenice » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:05 am

^its much easier to clog the passing & driving lanes when you're defending two guys who can't operate outside of 15 feet from the hoops playing together down low.
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#206 » by Illmatic21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:08 am

Who is even working with Wall on a technical level? Is Sam just a suit?

For example, why does he pick up his gd dribble every time in the half court? Does he not watch basketball, you won't see any elite PGs doing that. CP3, Rondo, Nash, Parker, hell even the rookie Lillard all know how to keep their dribble alive so the defense stays off balance. Once he picks up his dribble, the defense can relax and play the passing lanes since they know he's about to telegraph a pass. It's especially bad with Wall because everyone knows he isn't a threat to shoot. Whenever he picks up his dribble the defense gains a marked advantage.

And the jump passes in the air where he has nowhere to go. The beeline drives into traffic. I was listening to the Toronto broadcast and their announcers were pointing this stuff out all game.

His athleticism should be an asset to his game, not the basis of it. He needs to develop some degree of craftiness in order to make himself harder to defend. Don't give away what you are going to do every possession, especially when you are only a threat to do one of two things (pass or drive).
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#207 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:10 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
tontoz wrote:If this crap keeps up i am going to jump on the "trade Wall" bandwagon. This is getting ridiculous.

tontoz, Wall could drop 25 or 30 points and have 14 assists with blocks and steals next game... :(

I have never strayed from thinking Wall trades are as viable as anything else. David Falk and SVG are on that dark side. The Wizards are elite defensively as a team, for the most part, with Wall. However, his liability of having a very weak outside game and a lack of command in half court keep Wall far from being elite IMO.

My current thought is the Wizards should try to get a second round one pick to draft Marcus Smart. The other guy I really like in this draft is C. J. McCollum as a third guard.

What the Wizards need to think about IMO is talent at all positions,
and if there is a great leader who can play PG they can also think of Wall as possibly someone to trade. The beauty of drafting Smart or McCollum with a second pick is Wall remains the focal point at least one more season but there is a fall back if things don't work out.

PS--I watched Indiana / Michigan State instead of listening to the Wizards. All I have to say is VICTOR OLADIPO :o

That guy is REALLY GOOD!

Your narrowing it down to my early target now CCJ. Victor and CJ McCullum. I am trying to get on board with your Smart pick but after watching him, I'm just not where you are with him. I see a good college player but I'm not sold he can he a great starting PG in the NBA.

My other early targets were Otta, Zeller of course, Plumlee ( who I think I am bailing on ) and Whitney.

Ones I need to see more of are Len ( I wasn't a fan early but he got my attention ) and McAdoo I need to watch.

L Nash is someone I want to see more of as well.

But the thing that caught my eye about Victor and CJ was just how they can ball. They are basketball players. He have skills and confidence in them. They are winners. Smart has that confidence in spades, just not sure his skills will translate. I will watch him some more.
hands11
Banned User

Post#208 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:11 am

keynote wrote:FWIW, Jordan Crawford apparently threw his jersey into the stands after the game.

https://twitter.com/Truth_About_It/stat ... 44/photo/1

Showing the fans he appreciates their support. A man of the people.
hands11
Banned User

Post#209 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:17 am

jivelikenice wrote:
nate33 wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:Question on Wittman. Where was Singleton tonight? He got back into the rotation, showed some signs, and all of a sudden he's sitting for Booker tonight. I mean how inconsistent can his rotations be? This was also a game where Vesely and his ability to move without the ball might have helped....

I kinda see what Wittman was thinking. When Toronto had Amir Johnson at PF, Wittman didn't think he could get away with Chris Singleton defending him, so he used Booker. Late in the game, Toronto went with Johnson and Bargnani at the C and PF. That would be the time to use Singleton, but Wittman (rightfully) had so little respect for Bargnani as a big man, he went ahead with Ariza at PF. Ariza is a more skilled player than Singleton on offense and was just as capable as defending Bargnani on defense, so it made sense to me.

I don't. Singleton has been playing better and the team's recent win streak coincided with his increased pt. Why go away from it? Singleton has just as good of a chance at guarding Amir Johnson and has more length than Booker. Either way, why is Amir Johnson dictating what Wittman does?!!! Something works, then Wittman explicably goes away from it. His substitution patterns are inconsistent and just plain STUPID. That's why I have a hard time getting encouraged when he does something well...because you just know he'll go away from it for no damn good reason.

Welcome to my hell.
hands11
Banned User

Post#210 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:20 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Wall certainly did not silence any critics with that god awful performance.

I normally don't have a problem with Wittman's rotations, but tonight I have no idea what he was thinking. Wall was killing the team, and he just kept going back to him. He sits Seraphin for the rest of the game for making 2 dumb turnovers, but then lets Wall rack up 7. Although Price was not exactly lighting it up, he at least was not as bad as Wall. Heck, Temple would have been a better option to run the point tonight.

I also don't get why Crawford can't get off the bench, particularly on a night when we desperately needed someone to create shots. Perhaps he has not been taking' the lack of playing time well, and it has landed him deeper in the doghouse. I wish someone in the media would dig deeper here and get some answers.

At least Beal had a good night.

Well if he get traded, I'm sure we will hear plenty of what was going on.
hands11
Banned User

Post#211 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 am

Illmatic21 wrote:Who is even working with Wall on a technical level? Is Sam just a suit?

For example, why does he pick up his gd dribble every time in the half court? Does he not watch basketball, you won't see any elite PGs doing that. CP3, Rondo, Nash, Parker, hell even the rookie Lillard all know how to keep their dribble alive so the defense stays off balance. Once he picks up his dribble, the defense can relax and play the passing lanes since they know he's about to telegraph a pass. It's especially bad with Wall because everyone knows he isn't a threat to shoot. Whenever he picks up his dribble the defense gains a marked advantage.

And the jump passes in the air where he has nowhere to go. The beeline drives into traffic. I was listening to the Toronto broadcast and their announcers were pointing this stuff out all game.

His athleticism should be an asset to his game, not the basis of it. He needs to develop some degree of craftiness in order to make himself harder to defend. Don't give away what you are going to do every possession, especially when you are only a threat to do one of two things (pass or drive).

Exactly.
Deivy202
Senior

Post#212 » by Deivy202 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 am

This website for nba mockdraft has us picking Smart the PG lol. I mean Rondo is on the trade block lol.
ST21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#213 » by ST21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:45 pm

chuck crawford chucked his jersey into the stands after the game. someone is not a happy camper.
@garretts703 on twitter
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#214 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:54 pm

dangermouse wrote:
nate33 wrote:A couple of things:

- It's not as simple as "Wall is thinking too much", or "Wall should attack more/less". What happened was that Toronto implemented a game plan to stop Wall. They dared him to shoot the jumper, and sagged back on the pick and roll with Nene. That's going to happen all the time now. If Wall can't learn to shoot, he's just never going to be any good in the half court.

I didnt (read: couldnt) watch the whole game, but this is what I saw, too. Other teams should just look at what the Raps did when they game plan their defense. They gave wall the outside jumper and clogged the passing lanes and the key. We tried to counter by going with Nene in the post but they game planned for that as well and he was doubled instantly and really got taken out of his game.

We really need:

A) Wall to learn to shoot (obviously).

B) Someone who can isolate and be relied on to create their own shot and score or get fouled, just like Gay and even DeRozan were doing to us. Beal and Webster are good spot up shooters, but we really need that scorer. Shabazz?

Also: Oladipo, Bennett, McCollum, (round 2)- Erick Green, Allen Crabbe, Isaiah Canaan, Nate Wolters all seem capable of generating their own shot.
Bye bye Beal.
ST21
Junior

Post#215 » by ST21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:08 pm

oladipo is one hell of a player but i don't think he has a jumpshot. he's really just a pure athlete like wall. i think the wiz need to drafts someone who is more polished offensively.

Shabazz ftw
@garretts703 on twitter
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#216 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

If we fail to trade Crawford, does he get out of the dog house?
ST21
Junior

Post#217 » by ST21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 pm

closg00 wrote:If we fail to trade Crawford, does he get out of the dog house?

i have no idea but i am curious how the hell he tossed his jersey this high up in the stands. did he borrow g-wiz's t-shirt gun?

@garretts703 on twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#218 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Deivy202 wrote:This website for nba mockdraft has us picking Smart the PG lol. I mean Rondo is on the trade block lol.

The draft sites don't take team needs into account until much later. Right now, they're purely a ranking of the prospects. It's not that they think the Wizards will draft Smart. It's that they rank Smart as the 3rd best prospect.
Deivy202
Senior

Post#219 » by Deivy202 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 pm

O ok makes sense. Shabazz would be our pick if we dont trade any big man today. Noell my top guy.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#220 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:00 pm

*: An RSN rating of 0.9 means that, on average, just 0.9 percent of all households that get Comcast SportsNet are watching Wizards games on CSN.

BF Just posted this :lol:

New WizBoard slogan: We are the 1%

Return to Washington Wizards