ImageImageImageImage

Jonathan Clay Redick wants $40,000,000.00

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Jonathan Clay Redick wants $40,000,000.00 

Post#1 » by drsd » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:27 am

The Magic are willing to re-sign Redick to a deal near the mid-level exception of $5 million per year, but sources say Redick's agent, Arn Tellem, will likely start the bidding at four years, $40 million for Redick on the free-agent market.

:o

LINK

But the story goes on to say:
Redick won't get that kind of a deal, but teams with interest in the guard tell Yahoo! Sports they could be willing to pay him in the range of $7 million annually.

I think many Magic fans imagine a starting contract at $7M "fair." This could level out to 4 years and US$33,000,000.00 (7, 7.8, 8.8, 9.4 ; or something like that)

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: Jonathan Clay wants $40,000,000.00 

Post#2 » by OrlandO » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:35 am

No team is giving him 10 million and he's getting more than 5 million from any team interested... could be standard negotiation tactics, a random executive or agent making assumptions, or a potential suitor trying to eliminate competition...
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Redick just killed the Magic's trade leverage 

Post#3 » by Skin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 am

Woj reporting that Redick is seeking $10M annually is gonna scare every team out there from trading for him and giving up something of worth in return. They just won't want to pay a nice price for a role player rental.

That'll likely leave him untraded by the deadline since his expiring contract still provides value to us by clearing up more of our cap space. No team will give up something worth more to us than his expiring contract is worth to us.

Don't expect him to be used in a S&T this offseason either. Unlike Ryan Anderson last year who was a Restricted FA, Redick will be an Unrestricted FA. Yeah, we have his Bird Rights but that means nothing. Who cares if the Magic "can" offer him more than any other team. They won't! He'll just leave to a new team. Say your good byes now fellow Magic fans.

The time to move Redick was before this rumor leaked. His value was at it's peak! But that has all come crashing down. Thanks JJ!

Edit: Merged topics. ~ MM
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#4 » by drsd » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:11 am

OrlandO wrote:No team is giving him 10 million and he's getting more than 5 million from any team interested... could be standard negotiation tactics, a random executive or agent making assumptions, or a potential suitor trying to eliminate competition...

Yes. But what will this do to the trade opportunities for Orlando? This request from Redick's agent basically reminds in public that Jonathan Clay will be a free agent, and thus there is no real reason to rent this guy for 25 games.

shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,506

Re: Redick just killed the Magic's trade leverage 

Post#5 » by shadrock » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:13 am

Dude relax! Its just his agent doing his job. GMs know he wont get 10mil. Just because hes asking for it doesnt mean he will get it. There will be offers from multiple team and he will be moved.
truebluelover
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#6 » by truebluelover » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 am

seems like JJ has already been moved
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#7 » by paperboymafia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 am

Bums me out. He's my favourite player on the Magic. I understand he wants to get paid and if that is somewhere else and we can continue to rebuild for the future then yeah, I'll be OK with it.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#8 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Redick just scared teams away so he can force the Magic to keep him. Well done JJ!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#9 » by tiderulz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 pm

shadrock wrote:Dude relax! Its just his agent doing his job. GMs know he wont get 10mil. Just because hes asking for it doesnt mean he will get it. There will be offers from multiple team and he will be moved.

why do you people automatically assume this. He is a viewed as a top 6th man, but a 6th man across the league. People say, "there will be offers" but no one seems to really be breaking down the door to get him. And I agree that he just killed any trade leverage the Magic had. He is forcing hands to keep himself in Orlando. Good for him, but bad for the team.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#10 » by NickAnderson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Mr loyal JJ would never do that to us!!
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Re: Jonathan Clay Redick wants $40,000,000.00 

Post#11 » by magicmamma » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:49 pm

"Sources" are always right, aren't they?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#12 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Great. Now we have this discussion going in (3) threads.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#13 » by fendilim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:53 pm

drsd wrote:
The Magic are willing to re-sign Redick to a deal near the mid-level exception of $5 million per year, but sources say Redick's agent, Arn Tellem, will likely start the bidding at four years, $40 million for Redick on the free-agent market.

:o

LINK

But the story goes on to say:
Redick won't get that kind of a deal, but teams with interest in the guard tell Yahoo! Sports they could be willing to pay him in the range of $7 million annually.

I think many Magic fans imagine a starting contract at $7M "fair." This could level out to 4 years and US$33,000,000.00 (7, 7.8, 8.8, 9.4 ; or something like that)

No need to worry. This is called negotiation. Obviously, you look to maximize it. It someone gives you that amount, thats the best. . If someone pays you close to that, better!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#14 » by Def Swami » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Bah humbug!
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#15 » by OrlandO » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Overreaction. No team was going to give us good pieces without assurance from Redick in the first place. Jennings is asking for $15 million and he is not getting that. Just because Redick is asking $10 mil doesn't mean he's going to get it either. As the rumor states, nobody is paying that and the market value for him has apparently been set at $7 mil. Honestly, i don't believe the rumor... seems like a random exec made assumptions and there's no way the Magic only offer redick $5 mil like it said - that's just a huge insult.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,136

Post#16 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Talk about knee-jerk reaction.

JJ knows he is probably worth 7-8mill annually. If he starts his negotiations around the 10 mill range he likely will get what he deserves eventually (7-8 mill). Seems like a simple agent negotiation tactic to me.

What leverage did we have anyways? JJ is an UFA.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#17 » by OrlandO » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:11 pm

drsd wrote:
OrlandO wrote:No team is giving him 10 million and he's getting more than 5 million from any team interested... could be standard negotiation tactics, a random executive or agent making assumptions, or a potential suitor trying to eliminate competition...

Yes. But what will this do to the trade opportunities for Orlando? This request from Redick's agent basically reminds in public that Jonathan Clay will be a free agent, and thus there is no real reason to rent this guy for 25 games.

It reminds fans he's a free agent, which means nothing... teams don't need a reminder as it's their job to always consider something like that. And I don't think teams were looking to trade for him with the idea of renting him in the first place. Only a few teams would have that luxury in knowing JJ would likely want to stay without actually saying so - like chicago or ny. Most teams would need verbal commitment from Redick before pulling the trigger. Our options have always been very limited imo. That's why I don't believe there's mutual interest for teams like the Bucks.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#18 » by mhectorgato » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Zmill wrote:Talk about knee-jerk reaction.

JJ knows he is probably worth 7-8mill annually. If he starts his negotiations around the 10 mill range he likely will get what he deserves eventually (7-8 mill). Seems like a simple agent negotiation tactic to me.

What leverage did we have anyways? JJ is an UFA.

In another words "Don't hate the player ..."
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,331

Post#19 » by MagicMadness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:11 pm

$10Mil per is too steep for the team we've got and the direction we're headed in. There might be a team out there that looks at Redick as the piece that puts them over the top, so maybe he commands that amount elsewhere.

But if we can get him at around 4yrs/30mil, I think it's worth it.
Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#20 » by Javanar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 pm

This is the last big contract Redick can make as a basketball player, so he will look for money. This is the simple fact.

We do not need a sixth man with 8-10 million contract in the next 3 years. We should be ready to get benefit from trades, sign free agents and develop young talents. In other words we need cap flexibility, draft picks and room for young players.

As a result he should be traded, and probably he will be. I hope we get a mid-to-high 1st round unprotected draft pick in return for him.
I am not a native English speaker...

Return to Orlando Magic