OT: Rice Lake, WI

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

OT: Rice Lake, WI 

Post#1 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:18 pm

I hate to interrupt the whole trade deadline chatter, but I've got a question to ask the board.

I got a job offer today for a position in Rice Lake. I've been hustling for a full time position for months, and anyone who's been through the whole unemployment struggle knows how debilitating that experience can be. So to have this offer before me after all of this time - the dedication, the work, the tears, the frustration - is really exciting.

The thing is...I don't know much about Rice Lake.

I drove to Rice Lake to interview for the position, and it seems like a nice small town in a beautiful part of the state, and the folks in the office were really helpful in telling me about the area. But, I figured I'd reach out to all of you to see if you have any opinions about the area. As someone who grew up in Milwaukee and Madison, going to Rice Lake will probably be a big change, so any opinions you could share would be much appreciated.

I know I don't talk too much about my personal life on here, but I also really value all of your opinions. Thanks in advance!
jtrinaldi
Banned User
And1: 22

Re: OT: Rice Lake, WI 

Post#2 » by jtrinaldi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:20 pm

It is a nice quiet city. I know a few retired major league player have lived up in Rice Lake, or still do.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#3 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:22 pm

I've never been to the Rice Lake area, but I just wanted to congratulate you on the job offer, especially since the legal job market is still god awful. Hope it works out!
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#4 » by BigDee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

The one thing about Rice Lake, your not to far from Eau Claire or the Twin Cities. If you like the northwoods and lakes its a nice place to be.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#5 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:28 pm

I don't know a ton about Rice Lake in particular but I know my sister in law lived in the Menomonie area which was nice. Its going to be a different beast then urban living, but you won't be terribly far from Eau Clarie or the Twin Cities. It probably depends on your lifestyle. If you want a laid back life, it probably wouldn't be bad. But if you want the upbeat, fast pace lifestyle you probably won't like it.
sneakerdust
Banned User
And1: 101

Post#6 » by sneakerdust » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:30 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
I got a job offer today for a position in...

Its a job and Rice Lake is below the national avg in crime stats. You'll love it. Less pressure too you wont know what the hell your doing for 2-3 years anyways - the less people that know the better :D

Seriously, with the right attitude and a smaller place that will cut you some slack - you're good to go. After work Saturdays (yes show up to work Sat) you can easily go to the Twin cities get a Priceline hotel and have fun away from your work home and recover Sun aft.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:30 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:I've never been to the Rice Lake area, but I just wanted to congratulate you on the job offer, especially since the legal job market is still god awful. Hope it works out!

Thanks, man! I really appreciate it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#8 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Whoa, system glitch at all? lol
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#9 » by unklchuk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:31 pm

My info on Rice Lake is pretty recent. Only 55 years ago. For the first 18 years of my life, my family passed through there and/or shopped there on the way to a cottage on Spider Lake, near Birchwood -- north of Rice Lake a bit.

I'd echo this:

If you like the northwoods and lakes its a nice place to be.

That pace can be very welcome, even if you come from metro areas. But it depends on what's inside of you.
AFAIK, IDKM
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,739

Post#10 » by Treebeard » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:31 pm

BigDee wrote:The one thing about Rice Lake, your not to far from Eau Claire or the Twin Cities. If you like the northwoods and lakes its a nice place to be.

I haven't been through Rice Lake for a few years, but I remember it as a nice place. The comment about proximity to Eau Claire & the Twin Cities is spot on too. Probably a couple of hours to downtown St Paul, and a lot less to the northern burbs

*** I lived in Minneapolis for several years in the 90's, but I'm now am back in SW Wisconsin . Of course, the differences of living in a larger city vs a small town are substantial. One of the things that you may find is that you measure your commute to work or play, by the time involved rather than the distance. I now live about 35 miles away from my regular work place - which is about a 45 minute drive through the country. When I lived in Minneapolis, my commute was less than 20 miles, but that could take anywhere between 30 minutes and two hours, with about an hour plus as the average.

For me, living and working in a small town absolutely beats the snot out of living in a city. For me, cities are great places to visit on some weekends - and that's it.... Your mileage may vary :D
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,744

Post#11 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 pm

I can help quite a bit on this. I spent my elementary years up there and I still go back regularly to see family.

It is a beautiful area and there are lakes all over the place. If you like to boat or fish, it's a great spot. There are some nice golf courses in the area too. Turtleback is a good one. But really, the lake aspect can't be undersold. Within 20 minutes there are a ton of spots.

The bars are of the **** townie variety. The restaurants are bad too. Applebees is packed to capacity because it's almost all the town has. There is a breakfast/lunch diner called Maxine's that is amazing and I have to eat there every time I visit.

It's a nice town to own a bike. In the summer you can get anywhere you want on bikes because basically everything is on the same long main street.

Nice little town for kids with a couple parks and a pool. The school district is having issues I hear but you could probably read more if you check out their local paper.

All that being said, I wouldn't want to live there. Just not enough to do. I value things like decent restaurants, clean bars and a variety of places to shop. I live 45 minutes away in Eau Claire and that's more my comfort zone.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks, everyone! Your thoughts give me a lot to think about.

DB, your comments are really helpful as well. Some of the things you're referring to - restaurants, places to shop, etc - are things that I was particularly concerned about. Not concerned about enough that I'll turn down a job there, but enough that it could compel me to live in Eau Claire or a town in between Rice Lake and Eau Claire and commute every day.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#13 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:40 pm

DrugBust wrote:All that being said, I wouldn't want to live there. Just not enough to do. I value things like decent restaurants, clean bars and a variety of places to shop. I live 45 minutes away in Eau Claire and that's more my comfort zone.

I think that is most important, you need to know what you are looking for. I've lived in a very small village in Central Wisconsin, went to school in Milwaukee, and now live in a burb of Green Bay...all different with pros & cons. I miss the "Cheers" like atmosphere of the small bars whereas now feel more like a number. But in the small area everyone knows your business. And sometimes smaller towns aren't as welcoming as you are not one of them. I love where I am now b/c I have tons of restaurants, stores, etc within 5-10 minutes of home. You won't have that probably there.

THe point is you'll want to weigh the pros and cons of what you're looking for right now. If you're just out of college, looking to have a fast pace life, its probably a questionable fit. If you're looking to settle down (or stay settle down) it might be perfect.

Congrats and good luck!
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#14 » by Wiscfan92 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:45 pm

I have family in Rice Lake they own the Curriers Lakeview Lodge. It's a great small city I'm from Milwaukee so I love going to visit their every summer. Very quiet and you get all 4 seasons in full force. If you like the northwood kind of sports (fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, etc) this is the place for you.
Play your role till your role change. Pay your dues till your dues paid.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Treebeard wrote:
BigDee wrote:The one thing about Rice Lake, your not to far from Eau Claire or the Twin Cities. If you like the northwoods and lakes its a nice place to be.

I haven't been through Rice Lake for a few years, but I remember it as a nice place. The comment about proximity to Eau Claire & the Twin Cities is spot on too. Probably a couple of hours to downtown St Paul, and a lot less to the northern burbs

*** I lived in Minneapolis for several years in the 90's, but I'm now am back in SW Wisconsin . Of course, the differences of living in a larger city vs a small town are substantial. One of the things that you may find is that you measure your commute to work or play, by the time involved rather than the distance. I now live about 35 miles away from my regular work place - which is about a 45 minute drive through the country. When I lived in Minneapolis, my commute was less than 20 miles, but that could take anywhere between 30 minutes and two hours, with about an hour plus as the average.

For me, living and working in a small town absolutely beats the snot out of living in a city. For me, cities are great places to visit on some weekends - and that's it.... Your mileage may vary :D

Those are really good points. I'm pretty low key, so not having a party scene isn't a big deal. And, the commute to Eau Claire isn't too bad. I have a sister in Minneapolis, so living in Rice Lake would make my trips there a LOT easier than they are now.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:48 pm

N8Frog wrote:
DrugBust wrote:All that being said, I wouldn't want to live there. Just not enough to do. I value things like decent restaurants, clean bars and a variety of places to shop. I live 45 minutes away in Eau Claire and that's more my comfort zone.

I think that is most important, you need to know what you are looking for. I've lived in a very small village in Central Wisconsin, went to school in Milwaukee, and now live in a burb of Green Bay...all different with pros & cons. I miss the "Cheers" like atmosphere of the small bars whereas now feel more like a number. But in the small area everyone knows your business. And sometimes smaller towns aren't as welcoming as you are not one of them. I love where I am now b/c I have tons of restaurants, stores, etc within 5-10 minutes of home. You won't have that probably there.

THe point is you'll want to weigh the pros and cons of what you're looking for right now. If you're just out of college, looking to have a fast pace life, its probably a questionable fit. If you're looking to settle down (or stay settle down) it might be perfect.

Congrats and good luck!

Thanks! I really appreciate it.
sneakerdust
Banned User
And1: 101

Post#17 » by sneakerdust » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 pm

[quote="humanrefutation] compel me to live in Eau Claire or a town in between Rice Lake and Eau Claire and commute every day.[/quote]

I would advise against this. 1. Your going to wish you didnt in the winter. 2. put that time and $ commuting into your job instead - it will pay off quicker with less stress 3. Youre going to be involved in the community in your position and working hard during the week - you might as well be in or just outside of town.

Be humble and work hard and your options will open up. Sat nights and vacations are good enough for the 'fun" at this point.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,744

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:50 pm

I have a sister in RL right now working for the Marshfield Clinic and she comes down to Eau Claire all the time. It's a nothing drive if you don't care about the commute. You could even live closer to Chippewa Falls and cut your drive down ten minutes every day while being a short ride to Eau Claire whenever you want to come to town.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,969

Post#19 » by drew881 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Congrats. I'm dealing with the same situation. I'm moving from Pittsburgh, an actual city with activities, sports teams, and a social life, to take a job in New Hampshire, where the closest large cities are Boston (2.5 hrs), Montreal (3 hrs), Burlington (1.5 hrs) and Concord (1hr). It is pretty daunting, but I figure I will try to make the most of it. I am in general an outdoors person (like hiking, skiing) but have always lived in cities. I think you have to go into it with the best attitude and try to minimize downtime which will be experienced as boredom.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm

sneakerdust wrote:I would advise against this. 1. Your going to wish you didnt in the winter. 2. put that time and $ commuting into your job instead - it will pay off quicker with less stress 3. Youre going to be involved in the community in your position and working hard during the week - you might as well be in or just outside of town.

This is good advice, and you're absolutely right. It's for those reasons that I'm planning on living in Rice Lake to start. I'm just trying to consider all of my options.

drew881 wrote:I think you have to go into it with the best attitude and try to minimize downtime which will be experienced as boredom.

That's the way I plan to approach it. My position is going to involve a lot of travel throughout northwest Wisconsin, so that'll take some time up. Admittedly, this would be a little easier if I knew people in the area, but I hope I start building those relationships when I get there.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks