dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Mitch interview on 710am this morning 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 pm

on dwight:

Mark Willard @Mark_T_Willard

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak on why interview was late: "I was on the phone with another GM."

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak on how he would categorize Kobe/Dwight relationship: (after long pause) "a work in progress."

Kupchak on Dwight: "When he wins his 1st championship, and he will, people will look at him differently."

Kupchak: "Dwight is our future."

Kupchak: "This team's window is this year and next year and a lot of that has to do with Kobe."

Kupchak said that Dwight will not be traded and there is nothing that anyone can do to ask him that and get a positive response.

Kupchak: "We have no intention of trading Dwight Howard. He deserves to have his name on the wall at Staples Center."

Kupchak on Dwight: "He's going to have 100% recovery"

on pau:

Kuochak: "We're not going to trade Pau today or tomorrow."

on coach d'antoni:

Kupchak: "Mike D'Antoni is going to be the coach here going forward. We're very happy with Mike D'Antoni."
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,414

Re: Mitch interview on 710am this morning 

Post#2 » by Slava » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:51 pm

So he was on the phone with another GM, while not trading Dwight or Pau..
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Oh ****... We're trading Dwight AND Pau and firing Pringles tomorrow!!!
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#4 » by GAME TIME » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Mitch and the Lakers FO are backing Dwight, showing complete loyalty by coming out and stating this. Dwight is going to resign , especially with the xtra cash and Lakers FO showing him how they will back him and build a winner here.
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#5 » by theFRANCHISE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Mitch says Dwight deserves a statue in front of staples center one day lol
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#6 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:20 pm

theFRANCHISE wrote:Mitch says Dwight deserves a statue in front of staples center one day lol

Kupchak: "We have no intention of trading Dwight Howard. He deserves to have his name on the wall at Staples Center."

I didn't hear the interview, so I am not sure if he said both.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#7 » by TyCobb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Damn Mitch drinking the koolaid by the gallon.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#8 » by crazyeights » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

theFRANCHISE wrote:Mitch says Dwight deserves a statue in front of staples center one day lol

For more, please see: Fair Weather Fan.
GeorgeDillion
Senior
And1: 243

Post#9 » by GeorgeDillion » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Phil XI wrote:

I didn't hear the interview, so I am not sure if he said both.

I listened to the interview and I'm pretty sure he said both.
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#10 » by laduane1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Dwightmare contines
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#11 » by dockingsched » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 pm

there isn't anything wrong with mitch saying he hopes dwight one day gets his jersey retired or even has a statue built. when he was at his best and focused on the game, he was obviously the caliber of player worthy of such high hopes.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#12 » by Kilroy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 pm

dockingsched wrote:there isn't anything wrong with mitch saying he hopes dwight one day gets his jersey retired or even has a statue built. when he was at his best and focused on the game, he was obviously the caliber of player worthy of such high hopes.

I agree... It's the right play... In fact, it's the right play even if you plan to trade him.
I don't think we will.
But it's still a little hard to swallow considering Lakers fans have seen nothing from Dwight as a Laker that would make us draw favorable comparisons with the other retired jersey's much less a freaking statue.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#13 » by Jajwanda » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Mitch if you're not trading Pau, then how the heck do you think you can improve the team? You're good but seriously is it MWP you're trading? That would be great if it were MWP.

Since Minnesota seems so willing to take on veteran players, it'd be great if they gave a pick for him :lol:
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#14 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Kilroy wrote:
dockingsched wrote:there isn't anything wrong with mitch saying he hopes dwight one day gets his jersey retired or even has a statue built. when he was at his best and focused on the game, he was obviously the caliber of player worthy of such high hopes.

I agree... It's the right play... In fact, it's the right play even if you plan to trade him.
I don't think we will.
But it's still a little hard to swallow considering Lakers fans have seen nothing from Dwight as a Laker that would make us draw favorable comparisons with the other retired jersey's much less a freaking statue.

I generally agree from a basketball perspective.
But if you look at things from a busines perspective, there is no way the Lakers would want to trade Dwight.
They just got into a very lucrative TV deal with TWC.
Kobe will be done in 1-2 years.
They need a "superstar" to keep the ticket prices up and to get an extension on the TV deal.

They will do everything they can to appease Dwight and to keep him.

I believe Mitch when he says the Dwight is the future. The Laker FO truely believe that.

Hard to swallow from a fan/basketball perspective? Yes.
But a good/necessary business move? Absolutely
Formerly lakerRD
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#15 » by Kilroy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:59 pm

No, it's not a savvy business move... In fact it's the opposite of a savvy business move to throw all your support and all your hopes into a single, non-committal, under-achieving 'Superstar.'

The Lakers still have Kobe for a few years who is still a bigger financial draw than Dwight and will likely be for the rest of his career. They also still have Pau Gasol, (Hispanic market) and Steve Nash, who are both very marketable in their own rite...

The other aspect is that if Dwight walks, the Lakers will have plenty of cap room, after Kobe/Pau/etc drop off the payroll, to go after any stars they want.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#16 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm not sure if Kobe has a "few years" left in him.
He said himself 1-2 years max.

I do agree that currently Kobe is a bigger draw.
I doubt that the Laker FO is counting on Pau and/or Nash as being "marketable" and certainly doubt they consider those two as their future.

I agree that Dwight has underachieved.
But there aren't too many players of his caliber from a marketing and even basketball perspective.
They will try very hard to keep him.
And if he walks, they'll have plenty of cap room in a couple of years to rebuild.
Formerly lakerRD
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#17 » by supaflash » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:24 pm

I kind of wonder if they are saying all the right things to both uphold his trade value and to see how he will respond. If he plays half-heartedly tonight after Buss passing against the C's could you possibly keep this guy??

I know what he's saying about talent and franchise players and the window right now, but if you could get some pretty good talent back with some flexibility it seems like that would speak more to the current window of winning then holding on to Dwight. Right now Brook plus some extras would get us a better shot at the chip then how Dwight has been playing, maybe even as good as if Dwight was playing hard at his current health level.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#18 » by crazyeights » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Seriously, it's sad now that even moderate posters are falling for all the Dwight hate. Look, the guy is a media doofus, who has almost as bad PR skills and Jim Buss, but let's be real here:

This was always going to be a tough season.

We went from two seasons of completely uninspired basketball, being swept out of the playoffs once, then choking the next time around....we didn't deserve to just all of a sudden become number one in the West again. OKC has been building on their momentum for years now. The Spurs core as been steady as a rock and they've done an astounding job at grooming and cultivating their young talent.

We on the other hand have spent the last two years for Mitch to wave his magic wand. And do you know what he did? He turned Andrew Bynum -- who if you weren't convinced he was the injury bug incarnate, was at least a budding team CANCER -- into a player that before the last season and a half was IRON MAN.

The catch? He had just come back from back surgery. Now, I take Dwight at his word. He probably should have sat out until Christmas this season. Instead he decided to tough it out and lace them up. It just so happened that we were dealing with a handful of other disasters in waiting:

-Steve Nash was not only injured, but he is in decline.
-Pau was injured at the start of the season, but his confidence as a Laker has still been shattered from:
a) the failed CP3 trade
b) when we brought in an offense tailored for him and then fired the coach after 5 games
-Mike Brown was our coach
-The PR disaster that was the non-PJ hiring
-MDA was hired for Nash, but Dwight (and Pau by the way) are better suited for a more post-oriented offense
-Kobe has proven that while he's an admirably resilient player, he still can't carry a team on his back anymore...and not for a lack of trying.

So far has this been the most disappointing season of recent memory? Absolutely. Was it always fools gold? You bet your ass. Nash was always going to be Nash-in-decline, injury or not, Princeton Offense or not, Nash or Nash + Kobe is not going to bring out the best in him.

That being said, can we still utilize his shooting skills and use him more off the ball? Yeah. We've seen flashes of how he and Kobe can play together.

Pau is out now, so maybe he can be fresh for the playoffs, but he's had two horrible playoffs in a row and maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

MDA is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

So that leaves us with Dwight, and I know the media is picking up and running with every single story and the sheer volume of it makes every single one of us think well **** maybe there's some truth to it all -- which there's gotta be -- but the way he's being talked about it's as if he's the freaking Antichrist.

I get it now, this is just our fanbase. I joined this forum to defend Lamar Odom. The pulse of these threads beated with the wardrum-like chants of an angry mob--off with his head. Well the Lakers brass didn't listen to these fools, they pulled off the Gasol trade and those two and Kobe made us the special team that we were.

This season wasn't going to be easy. We had a **** sandwich on our plate and the choice was either to stick with Bynum, with his knees and lack of poise, or to make the trade that these same asscats were clamoring for. Well guess what? We made the trade you wanted. Yes, our expectations were flawed.

It's going to take him a year to fully recover from back surgery. Yes, Dwight could easily have quelled many fears and said he's going to stay here in LA, but can't sign until July for the max money. But part of the situation we were inheriting is Dwight's lack of certainty. Like Lamar, he's an emotional guy. He loves people and wants people to love him. Jesus, look at how awful Lamar has been since that failed CP3 trade, when his confidence was broken. The guy's spirit was crushed.

Fans apparently don't understand that they have a role in this as well. Instead of choosing sides between Kobe and Shaq, we should have embraced them both. Instead of clinging to Kobe's twilight years, we should be embracing the future. A future which after this year will begin to get a little brighter.

Instead I'm seeing a lot of people falling prey to the media churning out speculative story after speculative story. Grumblings of how Jim Buss is going to drive the bandwagon off a cliff. How Dwight is never going to get that athleticism back and he's going to destroy our salary situation for a decade. That we'd be better off letting all of them walk and expecting the LeBrons or Kevin Loves or Kyrie Irvings of the world come in and save the day here in Lakerland.

Well great. If that's how we wanna do it, then sure, let's throw away a guy that was arguably as MVP-worthy as LeBron two years ago and let's take a run at a numbers guy in Love or a kid who has no reason not to sign his next extension in Irving. Let's just peddle ourselves from new hope to new hope, deluding ourselves into thinking that we don't ever deserve a rebuilding period, despite all the evidence that this year was going to be a painful transition.

Or we can do what Jerry Buss, Jim, and Mitch did with Lamar and say we have an amazing piece to a puzzle here...let's get us a Pau Gasol to make it all work. We can take our time. We can show faith that while the big picture is still murky we can give us a chance to work it out. We got swept under Phil Jackson's last season, with a team that repeated and now completely retooled that team to the point where beyond Kobe, Metta, and Pau it's completely different.....

Did you really think it'd be easy?

We fell for the hype already. Well I'm not gonna fall for the hype of our demise. We have half a damn season left, I am all in for my damn team. Looking at our schedule, I think we can do it. We can only lose about 8 games the rest of the way. We start supporting this team, the guys start feeling good about themselves for once, and we go on a damn run then we can do it. Enough of the throwing our guys under the bus, already.

They're the Purple and Gold, and there's hope yet.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#19 » by LApwnd » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 pm

^^^Bravo!!!!, very insightful perspective!
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#20 » by GAME TIME » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:31 am

crazyeights wrote:Seriously, it's sad now that even moderate posters are falling for all the Dwight hate. Look, the guy is a media doofus, who has almost as bad PR skills and Jim Buss, but let's be real here:

This was always going to be a tough season.

We went from two seasons of completely uninspired basketball, being swept out of the playoffs once, then choking the next time around....we didn't deserve to just all of a sudden become number one in the West again. OKC has been building on their momentum for years now. The Spurs core as been steady as a rock and they've done an astounding job at grooming and cultivating their young talent.

We on the other hand have spent the last two years for Mitch to wave his magic wand. And do you know what he did? He turned Andrew Bynum -- who if you weren't convinced he was the injury bug incarnate, was at least a budding team CANCER -- into a player that before the last season and a half was IRON MAN.

The catch? He had just come back from back surgery. Now, I take Dwight at his word. He probably should have sat out until Christmas this season. Instead he decided to tough it out and lace them up. It just so happened that we were dealing with a handful of other disasters in waiting:

-Steve Nash was not only injured, but he is in decline.
-Pau was injured at the start of the season, but his confidence as a Laker has still been shattered from:
a) the failed CP3 trade
b) when we brought in an offense tailored for him and then fired the coach after 5 games
-Mike Brown was our coach
-The PR disaster that was the non-PJ hiring
-MDA was hired for Nash, but Dwight (and Pau by the way) are better suited for a more post-oriented offense
-Kobe has proven that while he's an admirably resilient player, he still can't carry a team on his back anymore...and not for a lack of trying.

So far has this been the most disappointing season of recent memory? Absolutely. Was it always fools gold? You bet your ass. Nash was always going to be Nash-in-decline, injury or not, Princeton Offense or not, Nash or Nash + Kobe is not going to bring out the best in him.

That being said, can we still utilize his shooting skills and use him more off the ball? Yeah. We've seen flashes of how he and Kobe can play together.

Pau is out now, so maybe he can be fresh for the playoffs, but he's had two horrible playoffs in a row and maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

MDA is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

So that leaves us with Dwight, and I know the media is picking up and running with every single story and the sheer volume of it makes every single one of us think well **** maybe there's some truth to it all -- which there's gotta be -- but the way he's being talked about it's as if he's the freaking Antichrist.

I get it now, this is just our fanbase. I joined this forum to defend Lamar Odom. The pulse of these threads beated with the wardrum-like chants of an angry mob--off with his head. Well the Lakers brass didn't listen to these fools, they pulled off the Gasol trade and those two and Kobe made us the special team that we were.

This season wasn't going to be easy. We had a **** sandwich on our plate and the choice was either to stick with Bynum, with his knees and lack of poise, or to make the trade that these same asscats were clamoring for. Well guess what? We made the trade you wanted. Yes, our expectations were flawed.

It's going to take him a year to fully recover from back surgery. Yes, Dwight could easily have quelled many fears and said he's going to stay here in LA, but can't sign until July for the max money. But part of the situation we were inheriting is Dwight's lack of certainty. Like Lamar, he's an emotional guy. He loves people and wants people to love him. Jesus, look at how awful Lamar has been since that failed CP3 trade, when his confidence was broken. The guy's spirit was crushed.

Fans apparently don't understand that they have a role in this as well. Instead of choosing sides between Kobe and Shaq, we should have embraced them both. Instead of clinging to Kobe's twilight years, we should be embracing the future. A future which after this year will begin to get a little brighter.

Instead I'm seeing a lot of people falling prey to the media churning out speculative story after speculative story. Grumblings of how Jim Buss is going to drive the bandwagon off a cliff. How Dwight is never going to get that athleticism back and he's going to destroy our salary situation for a decade. That we'd be better off letting all of them walk and expecting the LeBrons or Kevin Loves or Kyrie Irvings of the world come in and save the day here in Lakerland.

Well great. If that's how we wanna do it, then sure, let's throw away a guy that was arguably as MVP-worthy as LeBron two years ago and let's take a run at a numbers guy in Love or a kid who has no reason not to sign his next extension in Irving. Let's just peddle ourselves from new hope to new hope, deluding ourselves into thinking that we don't ever deserve a rebuilding period, despite all the evidence that this year was going to be a painful transition.

Or we can do what Jerry Buss, Jim, and Mitch did with Lamar and say we have an amazing piece to a puzzle here...let's get us a Pau Gasol to make it all work. We can take our time. We can show faith that while the big picture is still murky we can give us a chance to work it out. We got swept under Phil Jackson's last season, with a team that repeated and now completely retooled that team to the point where beyond Kobe, Metta, and Pau it's completely different.....

Did you really think it'd be easy?

We fell for the hype already. Well I'm not gonna fall for the hype of our demise. We have half a damn season left, I am all in for my damn team. Looking at our schedule, I think we can do it. We can only lose about 8 games the rest of the way. We start supporting this team, the guys start feeling good about themselves for once, and we go on a damn run then we can do it. Enough of the throwing our guys under the bus, already.

They're the Purple and Gold, and there's hope yet.

thank you for straightening out the mods.. I agree with your post. Lakers haven't had a smooth transition with injuries, coaching changes, new players, Dwight slowed down by back surgery etc.. It aint easy

Return to Los Angeles Lakers