OT: Rice Lake, WI

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 415

Re: OT: Rice Lake, WI 

Post#21 » by smauss » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Treebeard wrote:
BigDee wrote:The one thing about Rice Lake, your not to far from Eau Claire or the Twin Cities. If you like the northwoods and lakes its a nice place to be.

I haven't been through Rice Lake for a few years, but I remember it as a nice place. The comment about proximity to Eau Claire & the Twin Cities is spot on too. Probably a couple of hours to downtown St Paul, and a lot less to the northern burbs

*** I lived in Minneapolis for several years in the 90's, but I'm now am back in SW Wisconsin . Of course, the differences of living in a larger city vs a small town are substantial. One of the things that you may find is that you measure your commute to work or play, by the time involved rather than the distance. I now live about 35 miles away from my regular work place - which is about a 45 minute drive through the country. When I lived in Minneapolis, my commute was less than 20 miles, but that could take anywhere between 30 minutes and two hours, with about an hour plus as the average.

For me, living and working in a small town absolutely beats the snot out of living in a city. For me, cities are great places to visit on some weekends - and that's it.... Your mileage may vary :D

I pretty much concur with treebeard here. I prefer a small town, away from a metro-area. I spent most of my childhood in Cedarburg, then moved to Houston County MN for about 4-5 years. I got VERY used to the slower pace. Moved back here to Cedarburg in 1984 or so, and to this day, I can't get used to the fast pace. Seems like everyone is in a real hurry to get nowhere and do nothing. I applaud you for seeking information, but from my perspective, what is the worst thing about taking this job? If you decide that this insn't the environment for you, then hopefully the job market will improve and you can move on with more personal and professional experience for the next adventure or you may just love it...........
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#22 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 pm

smauss wrote:I pretty much concur with treebeard here. I prefer a small town, away from a metro-area. I spent most of my childhood in Cedarburg, then moved to Houston County MN for about 4-5 years. I got VERY used to the slower pace. Moved back here to Cedarburg in 1984 or so, and to this day, I can't get used to the fast pace. Seems like everyone is in a real hurry to get nowhere and do nothing. I applaud you for seeking information, but from my perspective, what is the worst thing about taking this job? If you decide that this insn't the environment for you, then hopefully the job market will improve and you can move on with more personal and professional experience for the next adventure or you may just love it...........

It's not about taking the job. I'm taking the job, haha. It's more about preparing for what to experience and planning accordingly. Maybe any advice about the town or the surrounding areas.

Oh, and if you consider Cedarburg faced paced, then our perspectives are pretty different, haha. But who knows, maybe I'll feel the same way in a couple years.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#23 » by JayMKE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Don't know much about Rice Lake but I've spent a lot of time and lived in Rhinelander which is a couple hours to east of there and pretty similar in size. Just an amazingly beautiful part of country. Having lived my entire life in the city limits of Milwaukee, I lived there for only a relatively short amount of time but I really enjoyed my time up there. It's definitely slower pace of life but that's what I was looking for, I was so burnt out from the city. There really is something to be said about not having to lock your doors or worrying about your kid going to the park by themselves, just not being one edge 24/7. While there are some great things about the city, it's all stuff I can visit on a weekend if that's what I needed. If you love the outdoors, it doesn't get any better. Definitely invest in a snowblower tho. If I ever move back to Wisconsin, I think it would be in northern Wisconsin.
FREE GIANNIS
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#24 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm

DrugBust wrote:I have a sister in RL right now working for the Marshfield Clinic and she comes down to Eau Claire all the time. It's a nothing drive if you don't care about the commute. You could even live closer to Chippewa Falls and cut your drive down ten minutes every day while being a short ride to Eau Claire whenever you want to come to town.

Yeah, Eau Claire seems like a nice area with enough going on. My uncle and aunt just bought a place about 10-15 minutes from EC and seem to like it. They are more rural folk thought. The few times I been to EC it kind of reminded me of Appleton a little bit. It has a decent mall and enough variety in food options to keep it fresh. And you're within 1-1.5 hour of a larger city (Twin Cities and GB/Milwaukee respectively).
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks for your advice and opinions, everyone! It was really helpful to me. :)
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 415

Post#26 » by smauss » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:23 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
smauss wrote:I pretty much concur with treebeard here. I prefer a small town, away from a metro-area. I spent most of my childhood in Cedarburg, then moved to Houston County MN for about 4-5 years. I got VERY used to the slower pace. Moved back here to Cedarburg in 1984 or so, and to this day, I can't get used to the fast pace. Seems like everyone is in a real hurry to get nowhere and do nothing. I applaud you for seeking information, but from my perspective, what is the worst thing about taking this job? If you decide that this insn't the environment for you, then hopefully the job market will improve and you can move on with more personal and professional experience for the next adventure or you may just love it...........

It's not about taking the job. I'm taking the job, haha. It's more about preparing for what to experience and planning accordingly. Maybe any advice about the town or the surrounding areas.

Oh, and if you consider Cedarburg faced paced, then our perspectives are pretty different, haha. But who knows, maybe I'll feel the same way in a couple years.

I'm very glad you got the job, congrats - especially in this type of job market! I've know some folks from Rice Lake, and they liked it there, and as was stated earlier, close enough to EC & TC. As far as Cedarburg and the pace, that is why I stated "metro area." While Cedarburg is still a small town size-wise, most of it's inhabitants are directly linked to Milwaukee and reflect that pace to some extent. That's very different from when I was a kid, and light-years different than when I lived in Houston County. Congrats again, must be an exciting time for you!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#27 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 pm

I wish you the best. If you enjoy hunting and solitude its probably a great place. I personally abhor it. I have spent a ton of time in Eau Claire and I have a strong distaste for it as well. Rice Lake is 45 minutes from Eau Claire (for movies, dinners, etc) and a good 2 hours from the twin cities (arts, etc). And those figures are worthless 4 mos out of the year when cold and snow will slow the pace to a near standstill. Its not a far cry from siberia. And while a lot of people would gladly trade access to things for a slower pace and a more relaxed lifestyle its something you have to experience before you actually choose it.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#28 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 pm

One thing I can say about Rice Lake is that my college roommate was from there and he was a Vikings/Twins/Gophers fan. His older brother (also from Rice Lake, obviously) was a Packers/Badgers/Twins(I think) fan. So it will probably be a good mix of MN and WI sports fans.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 pm

smauss wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

I'm very glad you got the job, congrats - especially in this type of job market! I've know some folks from Rice Lake, and they liked it there, and as was stated earlier, close enough to EC & TC. As far as Cedarburg and the pace, that is why I stated "metro area." While Cedarburg is still a small town size-wise, most of it's inhabitants are directly linked to Milwaukee and reflect that pace to some extent. That's very different from when I was a kid, and light-years different than when I lived in Houston County. Congrats again, must be an exciting time for you!

Thanks a lot! It is an exciting time, but it's also a relief to some degree. :)
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:19 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:One thing I can say about Rice Lake is that my college roommate was from there and he was a Vikings/Twins/Gophers fan. His older brother (also from Rice Lake, obviously) was a Packers/Badgers/Twins(I think) fan. So it will probably be a good mix of MN and WI sports fans.

Hey, as long as I'm getting my Packers/Brewers/Bucks/Badgers fix, I'm all good. 8-)
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#31 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:30 pm

One thing to keep in mind when moving up here is Charter doesn't offer FSN Wisconsin in the Winter, so no Bucks games. Lotta Golden Gopher hockey.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#32 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:31 pm

DrugBust wrote:One thing to keep in mind when moving up here is Charter doesn't offer FSN Wisconsin in the Winter, so no Bucks games. Lotta Golden Gopher hockey.

Solid trade-off IMO
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#33 » by trwi7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 pm

DrugBust wrote:One thing to keep in mind when moving up here is Charter doesn't offer FSN Wisconsin in the Winter, so no Bucks games. Lotta Golden Gopher hockey.

ZOMG Bjugstad, Haula, Condon, Budish, Helgeson fap fap fap fap fap.

/PackGphsBcksZagsMarqWaunakeeTosaEast
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#34 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm

trwi7 wrote:

ZOMG Bjugstad, Haula, Condon, Budish, Helgeson fap fap fap fap fap.

/PackGphsBcksZagsMarqWaunakeeTosaEast

I never talk Gopher hockey and you know it. You probably wish I did.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#35 » by trwi7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 pm

I know you don't. You probably didn't even know the names of the players I listed until you saw them reading my post. :lol:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#36 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm

I knew 3 of the 5. :D
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Ugh. I wonder if DirecTV would?
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#38 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

Ugh. I wonder if DirecTV would?

I am pretty sure it would.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#39 » by trwi7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Probably have to buy a house to get DirecTV or see if an apartment allows DirecTV and see if you can get an apartment where they could put the dish.

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:10 pm

trwi7 wrote:Probably have to buy a house to get DirecTV or see if an apartment allows DirecTV and see if you can get an apartment where they could put the dish.

True, but I've also found that I'll probably have to rent a house in Rice Lake because the apartment market is extremely small. That might make DTV an option for me.

Then again, being spared the Bucks might actually be a good thing.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks