Poll: Where will Josh Smith land?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Where will Josh Smith play after the deadline?

Atlanta Hawks
11%
Boston Celtics
14%
Brooklyn Nets
4%
Milwaukee Bucks
20%
Philadelphia 76ers
1%
Dallas Mavericks
6%
Houston Rockets
16%
Phoenix Suns
10%
San Antonio Spurs
6%
Other
11%

Total votes: 140

Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,519

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#81 » by Frank Nova » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 am

Milwaukee

Monta, Dalembert and Udrih for Josh, Anthony Morrow and Devin Harris.

Deal saves Atlanta about 22mil in cap space when Monta opts out and hits UFA. Atlanta wants max cap space to throw at Dwight and CP3 in the offseason. Milwaukee can offer more cap space than any other team mentioned.

Not to mention Monta, Dalembert and Udrih help ATL save face this year and keep them in the playoffs before they all expire.

Ferry wants cap space, he could care less about prospects who don't have star potential like the players mentioned from Houston.

And no way Washington is even realistic. They deemed anything valuable on the roster untouchable and don't offer anywhere close to the cap space Milwaukee can.

I'm obviously a Bucks fan but I'm also obviously being 100% realistic and non homerish like some other fans are who think Josh will play for their favorite teams and they can just give away their garbage for him.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#82 » by branny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

I have mixed feelings about this, I have no idea which team will be negotiate a good contract with him
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#83 » by Troubadour » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm

The only teams left in the running seem to be Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and possibly Boston.
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#84 » by RoyalWun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

parson wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Definitely going to land in houston.

Why? Not arguing, just interested. HOU traded away many of the assets they were rumored to be able to offer for Smith. All they have that's tradeable is 3 PFs (although ATL already likes it's PF situation and wants to move Horford there) and Asik.

Surely you don't think the Rockets would trade Asik for Smith, do you?

Although the chances are slim, Houston absolutely CAN pull off getting Smith+Howard.

And to be honest, the only reason I say the chances are slim is because nobody is sure if Smith or Howard will take a bit less to play together.

If so: Lin/Harden/Parsons/Smith/Howard could be a deadly team.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
niffoc4
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#85 » by niffoc4 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 pm

weezybaby856 wrote:Milwaukee

Monta, Dalembert and Udrih for Josh, Anthony Morrow and Devin Harris.

Deal saves Atlanta about 22mil in cap space when Monta opts out and hits UFA. Atlanta wants max cap space to throw at Dwight and CP3 in the offseason. Milwaukee can offer more cap space than any other team mentioned.

Not to mention Monta, Dalembert and Udrih help ATL save face this year and keep them in the playoffs before they all expire.

Ferry wants cap space, he could care less about prospects who don't have star potential like the players mentioned from Houston.

And no way Washington is even realistic. They deemed anything valuable on the roster untouchable and don't offer anywhere close to the cap space Milwaukee can.

I'm obviously a Bucks fan but I'm also obviously being 100% realistic and non homerish like some other fans are who think Josh will play for their favorite teams and they can just give away their garbage for him.
What's the incentive for the Hawks though? Getting to see Horford play PF for half a season? They would have the same amount of cap space either way, since your suggested deal is expirings for expirings. Perhaps if there were a pick involved, or a single young player (or both), then it might be interesting.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#86 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:48 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I think he ends up staying in Atlanta.

Nailed it.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#87 » by parson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm

RoyalWun wrote:
parson wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Definitely going to land in houston.

Why? Not arguing, just interested. HOU traded away many of the assets they were rumored to be able to offer for Smith. All they have that's tradeable is 3 PFs (although ATL already likes it's PF situation and wants to move Horford there) and Asik.

Surely you don't think the Rockets would trade Asik for Smith, do you?

Although the chances are slim, Houston absolutely CAN pull off getting Smith+Howard.

And to be honest, the only reason I say the chances are slim is because nobody is sure if Smith or Howard will take a bit less to play together.

If so: Lin/Harden/Parsons/Smith/Howard could be a deadly team.

If I'm reading y'all's salary structure correctly, with cap holds, y'all will have about $42 million promised for 2013, leaving almost enough for ONE max free agent - around $18 million. How little do you expect Howard and Smith to settle for?

Seems to me, you'll have to trade for one of them in order to have enough to sign the other outright.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#88 » by tcorbin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 am

tcorbin wrote:This is the fourth year in a row people have been talking about Josh Smith, and all four time, nothing happens and he remains in Atlanta, and it has nothing to do with Josh's skill sets, talent, or attitude..... it all has to do with contracts.

Horford, Josh, and Joe are all about equal in talent and impact, the only difference is that Horford is underpaid and on a great contract, so Atlanta would not want to move him. Joe is on a horrible, overpaid contact, and was untradeable until Brooklyn happened..... Josh is just in that "not too cold, not too hot" area, contract wise, which makes him appealing to other team and semi-tradeable by the Hawks.

every year, alot of dumb casual fans make about a dozen Josh Smith trade threads and they are all bad, and every year, the Hawks never trade him, because he is way too good to be traded away.

As usual.... i'm always right.

It is funny for me, how every year, casual NBA fans make up stories about how their team is going to trade for Josh Smith, because they want him on their team so bad :lol:
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#89 » by franktony » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 pm

franktony wrote:
x- wrote:Meh. The Spurs system really isn't that hard to pick up. It might be one of the easier systems to pick up, in fact. You just have to be disciplined and solid.

If there's one coach that could make it works it's Pop.

Still it's funny that pretty no fans of any team want Smith. :lol:

What's even funnier are Hawks fans saying that a Spurs offer should start with Leonard and Splitter

Sorry, but our GM is not Billy King.

When Billy's offer for your player is horrible (Hump+Brooks+1st), than you're screwed. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith stays in Atlanta tbh.

Told you x :lol:

Atlanta fans were really delusional about Smith's value.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#90 » by x- » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Good call :)

I actually didn't think it was a home run that Smith was getting traded myself.
I just wanted Smith to go to the Spurs! I really like watching them and thought Smith could have been a really interesting fit.

Now, the question will be for how long Smith will actually with the Hawks. I won't try to predict his mind, but from all indications Smith's tenure in Atlanta might only have been extended for a few months.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,473

Post#91 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 pm

I said any Josh trade had to be ridiculous.

He was not traded, and a day later its reported he is highly unlikely to be resigned. Meanwhile, Atlanta with him isn't a true contender this year, and hoping for something from a sign and trade isvery optimistic.

So, success? (although not phx or the bucks)
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#92 » by tcorbin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I said any Josh trade had to be ridiculous.

He was not traded, and a day later its reported he is highly unlikely to be resigned. Meanwhile, Atlanta with him isn't a true contender this year, and hoping for something from a sign and trade isvery optimistic.

So, success? (although not phx or the bucks)

Every report about Josh has been ridiculously bad. Every year their is a report about Josh leaving or being traded and every time "reports" are always wrong, its just stupid hack journalism. i don't know why gullible casual fans keep beleiving all those wrong reports.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,473

Post#93 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 pm

So, your of the expert opinion he isn't on the outs with Atlanta. A lot of Hawks fans feel otherwise.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#94 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:43 am

I think at the end of the day, Smoove is going to the team that makes him the largest offer. If that's Atlanta, then he'll stay for sure. It's not like an awkward relationship between Hawks' FO and him is a new thing.

For Atlanta, you have to figure that they'll try to re-sign Smoove if they can't get Dwight Howard interested. If only to keep him as a trade asset for later. Can't imagine a better use for their cap space.
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#95 » by orlandomanic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:27 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:I think at the end of the day, Smoove is going to the team that makes him the largest offer. If that's Atlanta, then he'll stay for sure. It's not like an awkward relationship between Hawks' FO and him is a new thing.

For Atlanta, you have to figure that they'll try to re-sign Smoove if they can't get Dwight Howard interested. If only to keep him as a trade asset for later. Can't imagine a better use for their cap space.

You have that backwards, Hawks have enough cap space for 3 max contracts, they want to sign both Smith and Howard.
parson
RealGM

Post#96 » by parson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:26 pm

orlandomanic wrote:You have that backwards, Hawks have enough cap space for 3 max contracts, they want to sign both Smith and Howard.

TWO max contracts. Hawks can only do 3 if each player comes at a discount, ala the Miami Heat's trio.

But you're right about us wanting to sign both Smith and Howard.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#97 » by theatlfan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:45 pm

franktony wrote:Atlanta fans were really delusional about Smith's value.

Don't understand this rationale at all. Atlanta fans stated what it'd take to land Smith which seems and considering how things panned out, asking for a lot for him was what was going on in the FO. I don't want to take credit away from other team's fans around here though - they didn't offer it either.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#98 » by inquisitive » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:36 pm

i think smith and howard will be playing together...question will be which team? LAL, HOU, or ATL? i think smith will likely be willing to accept less since howard will get max
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#99 » by theatlfan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:12 pm

inquisitive wrote:i think smith and howard will be playing together...question will be which team? LAL, HOU, or ATL? i think smith will likely be willing to accept less since howard will get max
I've some to the conclusion that there's no way Smith will take less $$ than the max if he can bring Dwight with him. Josh doesn't think like that at all...
parson
RealGM

Post#100 » by parson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:So, your of the expert opinion he isn't on the outs with Atlanta. A lot of Hawks fans feel otherwise.

He's saying the "expert opinions" have been wrong - on all levels - every time they were uttered. We Hawks fans have been lectured by fans (like you) that we didn't know what we were talking about. Check out y'all's record for accuracy - it aint very impressive when it comes to Josh Smith. How many times do we have to be right about him before y'all listen?

We want a good Center for him - or forget trading. He wants to be a star and paid very well. Those are the truths that matter. This offseason, we'll try to get a good Center and Smith will take the best offer he can find. He will not sign elsewhere just to get out. That's silly.

Return to Trades and Transactions