ImageImageImageImage

If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Who should they take?

Nerlens Noel
21%
Ben McLemore
23%
Shabazz Muhammad
15%
Marcus Smart
28%
Cody Zeller
1%
Otto Porter
1%
Anthony Bennett
4%
Other
7%

Total votes: 137

IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Re: If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take? 

Post#141 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:45 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:I like the look of Oladipo. Looking forward to watching him for Indiana tonight.

Where is he projected to go in the draft? Looks a real athlete, defender, transition scorer.

Also, why does NBADraft.net think we'll draft Zeller with the #2? I just don't see it. -- http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

^^ There's some bizzare selections in their mock draft. Washington drafting Smart? (They have Wall). Us drafting Zeller? (Vucevic). Cleveland drafting Noel? (they have Thompson and Zeller, but couuuld happen because he might be the best player available to them. I still see them taking a wing scorer though).

Because that a crappy site, It isn't perfect, but I use draftexpress
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#142 » by OrlandoMagician » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYSZGb8OJrs[/youtube]

Oladipo tho....

Man, 5 steals, clutch defense and transition buckets. And the kid has insaaaane hops, just springs above the rim.

What's his outside game like though? Is there enough to his offensive arsenal to suggest he could be a legit scorer (as well as defender, cos he's clearly got the knack there!) in the NBA?
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#143 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 am

I'm OK when it comes to picking players in the draft (more bad than good) but I say I would really like to draft Shabazz. But I'd be happy with anyone on that list.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#144 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

Smart is hurt :(
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#145 » by Noonskadoodle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:55 am

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:
OrlandoMagician wrote:I like the look of Oladipo. Looking forward to watching him for Indiana tonight.

Where is he projected to go in the draft? Looks a real athlete, defender, transition scorer.

Also, why does NBADraft.net think we'll draft Zeller with the #2? I just don't see it. -- http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

^^ There's some bizzare selections in their mock draft. Washington drafting Smart? (They have Wall). Us drafting Zeller? (Vucevic). Cleveland drafting Noel? (they have Thompson and Zeller, but couuuld happen because he might be the best player available to them. I still see them taking a wing scorer though).

Because that a crappy site, It isn't perfect, but I use draftexpress

NBAdraftnet this early usually just places players in spots due to their big board, not team needs. Once the draft spots are locked they start filling in their mocks with team needs.
OrlandoMagician
Junior

Post#146 » by OrlandoMagician » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 am

I'm slowly getting on board the Oladipo bandwagon.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#147 » by drsd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:05 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:I'm slowly getting on board the Oladipo bandwagon.

Usually trading down in a draft is a terrible idea. But if Orlando could flip their top pick for soething like #8 and #15, then GM Hennigan could take the Big-Ten's unquestioned two best players: Oladipo and Burke. That would be ace. By 2014/15, Orlando\'s starting five could be all born 1989 or sooner: Burke/Oladipo/Harkless/Nicholson/Vučević.
Hmmph; I am getting old.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#148 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:08 pm

McLemore faced off vs. Smart last night (team wise)

Neither had a great game.
Smart was 2-14, but made 11 of 14 FTs, ending w 16 pts. fouled out in 2nd OT
McLemore was 3-12 for 7 pts.

I'd like to see more assists from Smart, but I do love how he consistently gets to the FT line.
Mule Tears
Starter
And1: 216

Post#149 » by Mule Tears » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Marcus Smart. Think of Gilbert Arenas in his prime.
The Future Has Arrived: Paolo Banchero is coming to Orlando!
OrlandoMagician
Junior

Post#150 » by OrlandoMagician » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:42 pm

I have a question regarding Oladipo:

Does he generate enough of his own offense? E.g. off the dribble, in isolation, spot-up threes etc? He is, after all, a shooting guard. I know he plays stellar defense, has an elite motor and is a top athlete, but it's his all-round offensive game I'm concerned about. Gets out in transition damn well though.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#151 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Well,
now with only 1 PG on the roster for next year (Nelson)
and 2.5 SGs (AA, Moore (maybe Jones or Lamb not sure if next year contracts guarnteed for either)
2 SFs (Harkless, Harris) Maybe Turk (buyout)
2 PFs (Davis & Nicholson) Maybe Harrington (buyout)
2 Cs (Vuc & O'Quinn)

I would think we are leaning towards PG in the draft.
I'd like to see us buy another pick (our 2nd rounder goes to CLE, we get GS but should be pretty late) or trade our extra 2nd round next year for a late 1st and get another big maybe Jeff Whitey or Mike Muscala. Some team may not want another guaranteed contract (Utah has 2 picks, so does ATL). OKC gets Toronto's pick as well (currently #8) plus their own.
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#152 » by Tayswagzzz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Smart moved up to number 2 on the mock draft, with us selecting him. Interesting. He's gone up like 6 spots
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
OrlandoMagician
Junior

Post#153 » by OrlandoMagician » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:05 am

According to NBADraft.net the Thunder have the 10th pick?! Where'd they get that from? Any way we can send them an Afflalo or anything and get in on that?

Would make drafting Smart and Oladipo a real possibility.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#154 » by Hogified05 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:10 am

If I had to pick I'd go with Smart, his competitiveness and size are above average for a pg. And we need a pg bad, let him come off the bench next year as meer starts. Then the following allow him to start and keep meer to mentor and be a above average back up pg.

With this being said I hope like all hell we do not get the number 1 pick this year. There isn't a sure fire franchise changer in the draft, maybe one could grow into one. 2014 is the year to have it. Jabari and Wiggins you can fight over and possibly Randle could be in the fight for it. Depending on the draft order and team needs we could get Smart at possible 4 or 3.

Maclemore doesn't really do it for me at the 1 spot. Zeller thou would be interesting at one to me. He would be a good compliment for Vuv as he is more of a scorer and Vuv could make up for Zeller's lack of rebounding. Two skilled 7 footers would be hard to turn down. As far as Noel, I've been through the whole sign them to the team on crutches no thank. cough Grant HIll cough.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#155 » by magicman123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:18 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:According to NBADraft.net the Thunder have the 10th pick?! Where'd they get that from? Any way we can send them an Afflalo or anything and get in on that?

Would make drafting Smart and Oladipo a real possibility.

Toronto's pick, they traded for Kyle Lowry, and Houston traded that pick during the Harden trade
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#156 » by SmiteaDwight » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 am

I'am really high on smart now.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#157 » by Noonskadoodle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:26 am

If we have the #1 pick & we keep it, Smart wins by default for me.

I still have question marks on him though. I know he is a freshman, but most top picks are extremely efficient in college ball.

40% from the field...30% from 3...4 assists to 3 TOs a game is not even close to being efficient. Now his strength is obviously his size & getting to the line, but even in college he seems to get banged up a bit by doing so.

Them boys in the NBA are much much much bigger. Last thing I wanna do is draft a guy #1 & him constantly be injured because the only way he can be effective is by taking contact 24/7.....Not want you want from your PG.

I am just hoping he takes off in the Conference Tourney & NCAA Tourney & shows improvements....I def like the fact that he is not afraid to hit a big shot though & put his teammates in their places.

.......My preference would be to try & trade down though & target Burke while acquiring another asset/assets at the same time.......

I could see a team like the TWolves wanting to trade up & actually target McLemore to play along side Rubio in the future with his shooting ability......maybe we could entice Shved out of them in doing so.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#158 » by dsg2021 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:00 am

For me, I have it in this order for PG's: Smart, MCW, Burke unless the Magic scouting can put aside some shortcomings Burke might have switching to the NBA game. I'd be happy with any three.

Wings-wise my order is: McLemore; We're gonna get lucky and get our first option player next draft or so, whether Wiggins or Parker or whoever, and McLemore will be beast playing off of them with 1 season under the belt already. Next would be Shabazz and Oladipo about tied with each other.

Only bigs that interest me are Noel and any who would defend the paint great, dependent that their health is good. He would cover Nich and Vuc so well. But again, Im worried about having to overpay bigs just because their big down the line.
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#159 » by silent1900 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:24 pm

I am pretty much all-in on Smart right now. If for some reason we were not in a position to grab him, I wouldn't mind seeing us trade the pick...either down or out all together depending on what we could get back (or get rid of).

None of those other guys do anything for me...McLemore, Shabazz, Noel, Len, etc. I would have some interest in some guys that we could get lower like Porter or Burke, even MCW. The guy I enjoy watching play the most, Bennett, would be fun but a bad fit.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#160 » by craig01 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm

I would vote for trading down and get another pick, player....there really is not a franchise player in this draft
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability

Return to Orlando Magic