Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Kobe: Lakers WILL make the playoffs 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... e-Playoffs

Kobe Bryant thinks the Los Angeles Lakers will finish the second half of the season strong and qualify for the postseason.

“It's not a question of if we make the playoffs,” Bryant said after a 1-for-8 shooting night against Phoenix on Feb. 12. “We will. And when we get there, I have no fear of anyone -- Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Denver ... whoever. I have zero nervousness about that.”

The Lakers are 3.5 games out of the final spot in the Western Conference, with a tough schedule the rest of the way.

Bryant said there is a strong belief in the Lakers’ locker room that the playoffs are not out of reach.

“I'm not talking about just me,” he said. “Us as a group. We will make the playoffs. And we will compete. And part of the reason I have that confidence is the Miami game [a 107-97 loss in Miami on Feb. 10]. We had control of the game. That was no fluke. We were playing very, very well. We were reading the defense, making the extra pass. OK, they have two great players [LeBron James and Dwayne Wade] who scored eight straight buckets and took control of the game. But we were right there. We can do it.

"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Re: Kobe: Lakers WILL make the playoffs 

Post#2 » by Slava » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Everything about last night's game suggested a positive trend to me. Kobe and Dwight, Nash & Dwight communicating a bit, Howard cheering for Kobe's makes from the bench and Jamison, Blake continuing their good play just makes me believe that we might just catch a lucky break sooner than later.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#3 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:54 pm

great, everytime Kobe guarantees something we fail.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#4 » by Jetset » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm

All I'll say is if we're good shape come playoff time (considering the situation we're in of course), then that means they're clicking and some teams are in trouble.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#5 » by TyCobb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Season starts tomorrow night!
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#6 » by dockingsched » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:57 pm

destro wrote:All I'll say is if we're good shape come playoff time (considering the situation we're in of course), then that means they're clicking and some teams are in trouble.

too late to get back on the playoff train.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#7 » by MistyMountain20 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9CD7uj2TL0[/youtube]
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#8 » by Wavy Q » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm

SO BRAVE
Luxury
Junior
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Luxury » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 pm

TyCobb wrote:Season starts tomorrow night!

Season started last night!!
"Kobe Bryant.. is the greatest player in our era" -Dwyane Wade
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#10 » by The Skyhook » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Things are definitely looking up. It just sucks that we don't have Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill healthy and back in the line up.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#11 » by Slava » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm

^ Do we really need someone taking away minutes from Jamison in his hot stretch? The Pau situation could have affected us any number of ways if he played well in Dwight's absence and still pouted for a starting spot. This atleast shelves that debate for a while and gives Mike D Antoni a clear mind to make the playoff push.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
winwinz
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#12 » by winwinz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Obviously Kobe is going to say that the Lakers will make the playoffs.
Every team in the 9th,10th and 11th seed would say that...

It would be news if he said something else.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#13 » by Jetset » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 pm

dockingsched wrote:
destro wrote:All I'll say is if we're good shape come playoff time (considering the situation we're in of course), then that means they're clicking and some teams are in trouble.

too late to get back on the playoff train.

I don't want to be on no lousy playoff train, i heard it smells like booze and Mexico on board anyway. Us missing the playoffs gives more leeway to have D'antoni fired which is what, but obviously if we're in good standing given the circumstances then something good must've happened.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#14 » by The Skyhook » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:^ Do we really need someone taking away minutes from Jamison in his hot stretch? The Pau situation could have affected us any number of ways if he played well in Dwight's absence and still pouted for a starting spot. This atleast shelves that debate for a while and gives Mike D Antoni a clear mind to make the playoff push.

Didn't really think of it that way but maybe this is what is best for now.
BlackBerry
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#15 » by BlackBerry » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm

In Kobe I trust. Common Kobe, you know you liked that block + buzz against LeBron @ the all star game. Lets see Kobe vs LeBron. (I want Miami 2 win though:P). I bleed red for MIAMI
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#16 » by Wonderllama » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Go ahead, make the playoffs... another moral victory. But what's the point? This team would get swept by OKC.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#17 » by MrBigShot » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Wonderllama wrote:Go ahead, make the playoffs... another moral victory. But what's the point? This team would get swept by OKC.

Don't be so sure...

This is the Lakers we are talking about, not just any team. I don't think their good fortunes have run out yet.

I know one thing...no team wants to see them in the 1st round. If you guys do manage to actually make the playoffs and win it all, I think that might be the most epic comeback second half of the season in NBA history. Going from turmoil, coach problems, player problems and getting blasted by the media and losing games that shouldn't be lost to the promised land would be unforgettable.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#18 » by Tee212 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:36 pm

winwinz wrote:Obviously Kobe is going to say that the Lakers will make the playoffs.
Every team in the 9th,10th and 11th seed would say that...

It would be news if he said something else.

haha ya serious...hes supposed to say...umm yaaaaaaa we're lucky to even sustain the 9th spot. sorry fans:( haha
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#19 » by ArC_man » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Wonderllama wrote:Go ahead, make the playoffs... another moral victory. But what's the point? This team would get swept by OKC.

So we should just lie down and take it from all the other teams, give up on the rest of the season and tank even though Phoenix has our pick? What's the point for any team to play if they're not a legit contender?
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#20 » by Jakay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 pm

I never thought they wouldn't make it myself, but the Lakers sure have been testing that resolve.

Once they've made it, they're going to have to beat the best regardless, so the only thing about being a low seed is not having an easy round to save the legs, which is of minor concern, but much more importantly, not having homecourt EVER, which is a thing with these guys.

Also why is that a thing with these guys? You'd think of all teams, the veteran laden one would be most immune to this.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers