The OFFICIAL rookie impressions thread pt.III

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Re: The OFFICIAL rookie impressions thread pt.III 

Post#341 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 am

amcoolio wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6ikcAQmDg[/youtube]

:o Dunk of the year so far IMO.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#342 » by Shem » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:12 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cFn3pDPdXI[/youtube]
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
JungleCat022
Junior
And1: 64

Post#343 » by JungleCat022 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am

Waiters: 16 points, 6-10 shooting, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block
POWER
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#344 » by POWER » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Waiters shooting percentage has been impressive last bunch of games for a SG. Speaking about rookie dunk of the year, MKG or Barnes? Both are powerful facials against C's, but i would pick MKG's, Barnes dunk is just too "robotic and aesthetically perfect", while MKG's one is so raw 8-)
God has a god complex
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#345 » by Brapman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 pm

That was a great dunk by MKG - that kid is a big time athlete. Unfortunately, he has about the most broken shot I've ever seen. I don't see how that shot is fixable - it's an awful hitch.

Unless he completely deconstructs his shot and starts over, we're talking about a glorified role player in this league - a not as good version of Michael Cooper.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#346 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
TheBigThree wrote:Beal with a good 25 point, 4 rebound, 1 assist performance in an otherwise unwatchable game for the Wizards.

With the way Beal is playing he should finish in the top 3 in ROY voting, probably number 2.

I still don't see him having passed Waiters eventhough everyone seems to think that he's crap. Beal is putting up fewer ppg and fewer apg in more minutes on worse shooting from the field (beal has better 3 pt shooting and more rebounds).
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#347 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:08 am

Listas wrote:
Scout Taron wrote:http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/The%20Dwight%20Effect%20A%20New%20Ensemble%20of%20Interior%20Defense%20Analytics%20for%20the%20NBA.pdf

Case study finds that Jonas V is one of the worst interior defenders in the NBA.

I'm going to take any study that has Bargnani as 2nd best in any kind of defense, with a huge grain of salt.

:lol: can't argue with that
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#348 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:09 am

Brapman wrote:That was a great dunk by MKG - that kid is a big time athlete. Unfortunately, he has about the most broken shot I've ever seen. I don't see how that shot is fixable - it's an awful hitch.

Unless he completely deconstructs his shot and starts over, we're talking about a glorified role player in this league - a not as good version of Michael Cooper.

i think he'll eventually become as good of a shooter as iggy. Good but not great. My concern with MKG would be his health, the way he plays, he's bound to come down wrong.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#349 » by willbcocks » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:40 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
TheBigThree wrote:Beal with a good 25 point, 4 rebound, 1 assist performance in an otherwise unwatchable game for the Wizards.

With the way Beal is playing he should finish in the top 3 in ROY voting, probably number 2.

I still don't see him having passed Waiters eventhough everyone seems to think that he's crap. Beal is putting up fewer ppg and fewer apg in more minutes on worse shooting from the field (beal has better 3 pt shooting and more rebounds).

Waiters has had a solid rookie year, and his stats have mirrored Beal's for the most part. Two things for me put Beal's performance over Waiters' this year. One is that Beal has played fantastic in January and February. Waiters has played well in those months as well, but Beal's best prolonged stretch has been better than Waiters' best prolonged stretch. (The flip side of that is that Beal played slightly worse than Waiters earlier in the season.) The other advantage I give Beal over Waiters is defense. But this is a slight advantage at best.

In the long run, I would say that Beal has a third thing going for him, age, as he's 1.5 years younger than Waiters. But that shouldn't factor into ROY voting.
SaiCLE
Rookie
And1: 215

Post#350 » by SaiCLE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 am

Dion is shooting 40% and averaging 14.2 Points per game. Over his last 5, he's shooting 57.4% and averaging 13.2 Points per game just by attacking the rim( he Is a fcking tank). He has Improved dramatically finishing around the rim and shot selection. He barley shoot three pointers anymore though averaging 1.5 3 point attempts, also the awesome thing Is he doesn't jack up long two's anymore. He Is a really good on ball defender (sometimes he over helps on D though), and a very underrated ball distributor. The Cavs really need more national games.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#351 » by TwentyOne920 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 am

Nando de Colo: 9 points (3-5 FG, 2-3 3P, 1-2 FT), 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 turnover in 19:59 of PT.

I'll take it.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager

Post#352 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Who thinks Waiters is crap? I think the only reason people prefer Beal is because he scores within the flow of the game. He doesn't need plays run for him, he doesn't isolate, if his shot isn't there, he keeps the ball moving. You will rarely, if ever, see Beal take a "bad shot".
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#353 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Oh yeah, Waiters will on occasion take some bad shots, but he's cut way back on that since the beginning of the season. What I do like is that he's way more of a playmaker than I'd thought. We still need some folks who can finish to make that more obvious though. He also has the ability to get where he wants on the floor (not as well as Kyrie, but that'd be a lot to ask).
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Post#354 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 pm

I feel that both Waiters and Beal will be have very nice careers, but I think Waiters ability to create for himself and others gives him the edge over Beal in a head to head comparison. Shooting is something that can be improved if you put in the effort, but rarely do you see players develop an ability to get to the rim the way Waiters already can.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
GhostsOfGil
General Manager

Post#355 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:I feel that both Waiters and Beal will be have very nice careers, but I think Waiters ability to create for himself and others gives him the edge over Beal in a head to head comparison. Shooting is something that can be improved if you put in the effort, but rarely do you see players develop an ability to get to the rim the way Waiters already can.

Its funny, I actually think Waiter's ability to create for himself is his biggest enemy. I think a guy like Beal who can score without having to isolate makes him much more valuable unless the guy is ridiculously efficient (harden, curry, durant).

I will say that Dion is way better than Beal at getting into the lane and is indeed doing a better job finishing. But I heavily value a guy like Beal who can play within a system, give you 20 points while not effecting the teams offensive flow.

If Waiter's was scoring at a much more efficient rate, I would be much more impressed. Even though Beal struggled early on, he didn't dominate the ball so his efficiency wasn't hurting his team as much.

Can you imagine Beal next to Kyrie? :o That backcourt would be ridiculous and way better than Wall/Beal or Kyrie/Waiters
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Post#356 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:If Waiter's was scoring at a much more efficient rate, I would be much more impressed. Even though Beal struggled early on, he didn't dominate the ball so his efficiency wasn't hurting his team as much.

You mean like going from shooting 34% in December, to 42% in January, and then up to 52% in February? Don't get me wrong, I like Beal quite a bit, but when the Playoffs role around and defenses tighten up, I like the thought of having another guy who can get into the lane at will more than a guy that can play within the flow of the offense.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#357 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Waiters does need to improve his 3 pointer. He's got a ways to go from there but it looks like he has the stroke to be a very good 3 pt shooter.

Oh and yeah Beal and Kyrie would be a great backcourt, that's why the Cavs wanted him.
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#358 » by orangeparka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:56 pm

That's why they drafted him no? To find that #2 ball-handler/scorer type next to Kyrie?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#359 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:58 pm

That kind of implies that Waiters was the Cavs guy all along. I don't believe that to be true. I'm pretty sure they'd have taken Beal had he been there.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#360 » by NikolaPekovic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 am

Alexey Shved > Beal, Waiters

Return to The General Board