ImageImage

Are the Bucks the worst run team? (Post trade vent thread)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: Are the Bucks the worst run team? (Post trade vent threa 

Post#181 » by europa » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:13 am

DrugBust wrote:Well, no ****.

Point I'm making is the Bucks have generally always had attractive "pieces" of some kind. This is no different. Again, I like Redick too but I don't see how anything has changed with this team. It looks to just be more of the same. Redick's a nice player but the Bucks could've gotten someone similar for a cheaper price without putting any kind of hurt on their future in the process. This just strikes me as yet another attempt to grasp onto a playoff berth with no regard for the cost. Been there. Done that. Far too many times.
Nothing will not break me.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,519

Post#182 » by Frank Nova » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am

I'm gonna be fair on this and say Hammond actually may have done the right thing today. He played hard ball and didn't get bullied into something he felt was bad for the team. If Atlanta wanted Henson or Sanders then by all means I'm glad Hammond didn't panic and give him. If that meant keeping Monta then I'm okay with that. Losing Sanders or Henson is far more devastating than keeping Ellis.

And the Redick trade was for the first time a win now move that actually makes sense. He gave up 2 complete non contributors and Beno who has been less than underwhelming his entire time here, all for a guy that is gonna atleast come in, be professional and help us win ball games. Redick is in no way exciting to me or a difference maker but he adds the 1 element of the game that we sorely lack and for that I tip my hat to Hambone.

At the end of the day, he kept our 2 best young assets and our 1st and didn't kill our cap flexibility. Now how he manages this offseason is a different story but for what he did for today and how he set the team up to finish this season it was a home run.

I am a big Tobias fan and still believe he will develop nicely but if we kept him and sent out our 1st pick instead then I would be more upset. Tobias can be easily replaced this draft with a prospect like Glenn Robinson III or some other young prospect with upside.

The sky didn't fall today at all and nobody should act like it did.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#183 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:21 am

The thing is, the Bucks didn't really give up anything. This is one instance where most of the media is right: the Bucks didn't actually give up anything of note. I know you think Harris is more valuable than our 2013 1st, but that isn't the case around the league. Every team has end of the bench young guys fans think are better than the minutes they're getting, and Harris is that for this board it seems. Our 1st would have been a much bigger deal had we given it up.

Look around the league. No one was giving up a 1st. I (wrongly) thought that our guys like Dunleavy or Dalembert would have legit value. This deadline proves they didn't. We got a piece better than either of them and we didn't even have to give up a pick.

The price on Redick was cheap.

And let's not forget that he wasn't the only player coming over.
europa
RealGM

Post#184 » by europa » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 am

DrugBust wrote:I know you think Harris is more valuable than our 2013 1st, but that isn't the case around the league.

Time will tell. Again, plenty of folks here thought Larry Sanders was a complete bum just a few months ago. That opinion has turned out to be horribly wrong. We'll see what Harris can do if he's given a legit opportunity.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#185 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 am

europa wrote:
DrugBust wrote:I know you think Harris is more valuable than our 2013 1st, but that isn't the case around the league.

Time will tell. Again, plenty of folks here thought Larry Sanders was a complete bum just a few months ago. That opinion has turned out to be horribly wrong. We'll see what Harris can do if he's given a legit opportunity.

I've had this discussion with others. Sanders has the benefit of size and he blocked an insane amount of shots per minute. At the very least he was going to be fine as a role player. Good for him in that he figured it out.

Harris doesn't have size, will never defend his position all that well and he isn't an overly good shooter. I'd rather have our draft pick, easily.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#186 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:32 am

No problem with acquiring Redick. Good deal.

But we bought the hood ornament and leather wrapped steering wheel cover for the Mercedes before we learned our auto loan credit was denied and we are still stuck with the tricked out 1984 Buick Regal.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#187 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:35 am

paulpressey25 wrote:No problem with acquiring Redick. Good deal.

But we bought the hood ornament and leather wrapped steering wheel cover for the Mercedes before we learned our auto loan credit was denied and we are still stuck with the tricked out 1984 Buick Regal.

BE GLAD.

The absolute worst thing this franchise could do would be to give Smith the max.
europa
RealGM

Post#188 » by europa » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:35 am

DrugBust wrote:
europa wrote:

I've had this discussion with others. Sanders has the benefit of size and he blocked an insane amount of shots per minute. At the very least he was going to be fine as a role player. Good for him in that he figured it out.

Harris doesn't have size, will never defend his position all that well and he isn't an overly good shooter. I'd rather have our draft pick, easily.

Like I said, time will tell.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#189 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 am

DrugBust wrote:

Tobias Harris he who is 6 foot 8 inches and 226 lbs doesn't have "size"?

He is a SF primarily and can give minutes in the post at PF.

How does he not have size?

Defense is learned on the court by playing in NBA games. Making him the starter he obviously struggled, but then completely banishing him to the bench does nothing but freeze his maturity and on court development. Tobias should've been in that 10-20 minute range all year long and Marquis should never have seen the floor.

If and when Tobias gets minutes in Orlando he will make us look foolish very fast.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#190 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:37 am

I just don't see trading for Redick alone does anything. This only slightly lowers the chances of us missing the playoffs and to do that we got rid of two young guys that would of helped us long term. Pointless trade.

I really like JJ but I doubt he can take us to a place we weren't already headed to this season anyway.

Typical Kohl/Hammond move.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
DrugBust wrote:

Tobias Harris he who is 6 foot 8 inches and 226 lbs doesn't have "size"?

He is a SF primarily and can give minutes in the post at PF.

How does he not have size?

Defense is learned on the court by playing in NBA games. Making him the starter he obviously struggled, but then completely banishing him to the bench does nothing but freeze his maturity and on court development. Tobias should've been in that 10-20 minute range all year long and Marquis should never have seen the floor.

If and when Tobias gets minutes in Orlando he will make us look foolish very fast.

He's not a big man, was my point. I'm sorry for not making that more clear.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,492

Post#192 » by JayMKE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 am

DrugBust wrote:

BE GLAD.

The absolute worst thing this franchise could do would be to give Smith the max.

Giving Redick 40m is a close 2nd.
FREE GIANNIS
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#193 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 am

blazza18 wrote:I just don't see trading for Redick alone does anything. This only slightly lowers the chances of us missing the playoffs and to do that we got rid of two young guys that would of helped us long term. Pointless trade.

I really like JJ but I doubt he can take us to a place we weren't already headed to this season anyway.

He does give Boylan a super sub option to bench Monta when he is tanking the game like he has all year.

Redick taking minutes from Monta will translate into more wins. Just enough to get the 7th though.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:39 am

JayMKE wrote:
DrugBust wrote:

BE GLAD.

Giving Redick is a close 2nd.

Your perception on Redick is so incredibly warped you're not even worth responding to, but I hope you don't think I'm not talking about giving him the max.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,376

Post#195 » by randy84 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:40 am

Bucks still miss playoffs with Redick. He doesn't defend. He doesn't get to the rim. He is not a low post player. All things the Bucks need to get to the playoffs.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#196 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:43 am

DrugBust wrote:

It wasn't all about acquiring Smith, although he and Larry would have made a ridiculous inside duo and brought some excitement to this town.

What today said that we really think the Jennings/Monta backcourt is going to work and we're willing to continue to support it.

Today also said we don't mind matching Jennings this summer or letting Monta walk and negating an asset from the Bogut trade.

And today also reinforced that the GM we have running things is incapable of getting any deals done. He's failed time and again to be able to close. You can say you were happy this deal fell through, but that doesn't negate the serious problem that Hammond lacks a critical skill required of an NBA GM.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,492

Post#197 » by JayMKE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 am

DrugBust wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
DrugBust wrote:
BE GLAD.

Giving Redick is a close 2nd.

Your perception on Redick is so incredibly warped you're not even worth responding to, but I hope you don't think I'm not talking about giving him the max.

If you assume Josh Smith is going to get the max which he likely is seeking then you can assume that JJ Redick is going to get 4/40m because that is what he is seeking. We're not getting him below market value and he is already getting paid 6m a season. He wants a significant raise.

But what does Redick do for this team? Realistically this season, maybe the 7th seed if everything clicks? I dunno. What does signing him long term do? We can chase a couple more 8th seeds I guess. Do you think he's a building block?
FREE GIANNIS
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,376

Post#198 » by randy84 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:49 am

True story: JJ Redick's career FG% is worse than Monta Ellis'.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#199 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am

paulpressey25 wrote:What today said that we really think the Jennings/Monta backcourt is going to work and we're willing to continue to support it.

And that's the scariest thing. How they have this point of view is mind blowing.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,519

Post#200 » by Frank Nova » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am

blazza18 wrote:I just don't see trading for Redick alone does anything. This only slightly lowers the chances of us missing the playoffs and to do that we got rid of two young guys that would of helped us long term. Pointless trade.

I think u make a valid point but I also think u can make the opposite point as well. I'm not trying to say Redick puts us over any sort of hump into actual contention but what he does offer is something we truly lack.

This team was headed down the wrong path IMO because its not a hard strategy to just force the Bucks team pre trade deadline to beat u with jumpshots as the whole world knows its just something we cannot do. We added an element that helps break that strategy against and opens up the floor more. Little things like that can go a long way.

I know I'm totally gonna get torched for saying this but as of right now, playing Redick on the wing with Monta and Brandon, Ersan stretching the 4 spot and Larry down low is the best team we can put on the floor and its really a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses because we now have 2 efficient shooters to open up the middle for Brandon and Monta.

Now if the swag idiots continue to settle for long 2s and don't use this to their full advantage by driving and making plays for teammates, then this was all for nothing. But we need to see how this plays out before we call for Hammonds head because it has a great chance to work.

Redick can guard a plethora of wings in the league so running him at the 3 is no less of a disadvantage than MDJ and certainly not Moute who is overrated to begin with and couldn't make a jumpshot over my little sister.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks