Biggest Surprise Not traded?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Biggest Surprise Not traded? 

Post#21 » by Mr. E » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:04 am

Guy986 wrote:Utah didn't move any of their bigs??

That's the biggest surprise for me. I thought that they would have moved one.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#22 » by theatlfan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am

My biggest surprise was Mozgov not being traded. He's buried in DEN and I would have thought that there would have been a team willing to give up a useful part for a trial run on him.
Ruckusmh
Junior
And1: 189

Post#23 » by Ruckusmh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 am

I'm a huge Jazz fan, but the fact that we have essentially the same pieces right now as we did the moment we traded Deron is atrocious. I don't understand the FO's obsession with becoming a treadmill team.
bryanoid
Pro Prospect
And1: 226

Post#24 » by bryanoid » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 am

Monta **** Ellis
:banghead:
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,825

Post#25 » by giberish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 am

One of Milsap/Jefferson seemed certain to be dealt.

Josh Smith was more likely than either one individually.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,078

Post#26 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:37 am

I totally expected Utah to keep Millsap and Jefferson. By my way of thinking both or either will have more value come summer when the Jazz can ship them out not as rentals but as players in a sign and trade.

I think the Jazz probably saw it that way as well.

Personally, I was surprised Boston didn't move one or both of KG or Pierce. Or even Rondo. Seems like the iron was hot on that one but they chose not to strike. When Boston gets run out in the first round I think Boston fans will look back on this as a missed opportunity. (no offense, Jazz are probably getting swept in the 1st round again)
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#27 » by Guy986 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:42 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I totally expected Utah to keep Millsap and Jefferson. By my way of thinking both or either will have more value come summer when the Jazz can ship them out not as rentals but as players in a sign and trade.

Personally, I was surprised Boston didn't move one or both of KG or Pierce. Or even Rondo. Seems like the iron was hot on that one but they chose not to strike. When Boston gets run out in the first round I think Boston fans will look back on this as a missed opportunity. (no offense, Jazz are probably getting swept in the 1st round again)

How will the Jazz get ANYTHING of value for a guy like Paul Milsap when there are 8+ teams in the league with 10 million or more in capspace.

Jazz will either match a 10 million a year contract for millsap or lose him. Theres no S&T. I think they just lost themselves an asset.
Ruckusmh
Junior
And1: 189

Post#28 » by Ruckusmh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:08 am

Guy986 wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:I totally expected Utah to keep Millsap and Jefferson. By my way of thinking both or either will have more value come summer when the Jazz can ship them out not as rentals but as players in a sign and trade.

How will the Jazz get ANYTHING of value for a guy like Paul Milsap when there are 8+ teams in the league with 10 million or more in capspace.

Jazz will either match a 10 million a year contract for millsap or lose him. Theres no S&T. I think they just lost themselves an asset.

+1
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#29 » by loserX » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 am

Jazz fan here: not surprised at all. We wanted a young PG and obviously couldn't get one. We are a fringe playoff team, and trading a starter for crap probably puts us back in the weak part of the lottery.

So if all we were being was offered in return were picks in the 20s, it's not worth it. Playoff games are worth more than that.

The surprise to me is Rip. Chicago is paying a lot of money to keep him this year.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#30 » by franktony » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:32 am

I was surprised that we didn't move Dejuan Blair, but SAS asking price was probably too high.

Cannot complain. I'd rather keep him around as an injury insurance than trading him for a crap 2nd round pick.

I was way more surprised with SA's interest in Redick. To me it didn't make any sense.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,777

Post#31 » by Lord_Zedd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 am

Some of my biggest surprises:

- Chicago not making any moves for luxury tax purposes. Guess there's a first time for everything
- Josh Smith standing pat
- Mozgov staying
- Dejuan Blair staying

Some of my biggest no surprises were Utah standing pat and Toronto sticking with Bargnani. Utah can at least sign and trade with both their bigs and as for Bargnani, let's be honest here. Nobody in this trade board likes hearing that B word. Regardless, not surprising Bargnani has zero value outside of BC's bedroom
CBA
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

Post#32 » by CBA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:55 am

Atlanta won't get anything of value for Josh Smith in the summer. Hawks fans should go ahead and deal with that right now.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#33 » by The Rebel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:06 am

theatlfan wrote:My biggest surprise was Mozgov not being traded. He's buried in DEN and I would have thought that there would have been a team willing to give up a useful part for a trial run on him.

Nuggets would have been left with a problem of only having 2 guys who have the size to play center if they would have traded Mozgov, plus with the run they went on prior to the all star break, the Nuggets did not seem all that inclined to make a deal. People do not realize there is exactly one guy left on the team since prior to the Melo deal just 2 years ago.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#34 » by The Rebel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 am

Personally my biggest surprise was not seeing the Hawks trade Smith, the rumors were out there that he was gone to the best offer regardless of what the final package for at least a week.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#35 » by AdonisDeMarion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:07 am

deanwoof wrote:smith, milsap, jefferson first. then jameer nelson or al harrington NOT being packaged with redick. spurs not tinkering. and josh smith again.

:lol: too funny, but real talk Smith, Milsap or Jefferson all staying put...oh well

Nelson or Harrington being packaged with JJ would've been great to do, but the Magic front office sucks anyway
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#36 » by parson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:33 am

The Rebel wrote:Personally my biggest surprise was not seeing the Hawks trade Smith, the rumors were out there that he was gone to the best offer regardless of what the final package for at least a week.

Why do y'all listen to the rumors when Ferry never talks to the press? We keep saying we need a Center for Smith.

What was offered that came close to what the Hawks could get by using Smith's money this offseason?
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 300

Post#37 » by A BETTER DJ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:58 am

I was surprised at the Orlando/Charlotte trade until I found out about the TPE switch... brilliant! IMO the Redick trade helps both teams. Smith not being traded is a disaster... what were they thinking.. or not? Smith for Gortat and whatever else would have got Atlanta the center they needed for years.

Have you ever sold something for less than it's worth... then taken the cash and turned into a great deal on something that YOU could buy for less than it is worth? Thank you :D
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#38 » by theatlfan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:09 am

A BETTER DJ wrote:Have you ever sold something for less than it's worth... then taken the cash and turned into a great deal on something that YOU could buy for less than it is worth? Thank you :D
Trying to figue out what point you're trying to illustrate with this analogy. If it's for ATL and Smith, then I'd then the analogy goes further toward saying we should have let him expire and take the $$ to FA...
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#39 » by tcorbin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:21 am

If you look on the Hawks' board, you will see that fans have been saying for the last 5 months..... re-sign Josh Smith or take the cap space. Atlanta fans are smart enough that they know that they don't want garbage players and contracts from other teams, as well as 1st round picks in a weak draft who are guaranteed a contract and will eat into Atlanta's cap space.

for the past 5 months, i have been saying that the Hawks are not going to trade Josh, and like aways,... i end up being right again and again.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 300

Post#40 » by A BETTER DJ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 am

My point was that Atlanta REALLY needs a good center and has for years. If they would have sold low on Smith to Phoenix they could have got Gortat back. Although he is not worth as much as Smith, he is on a great contract and is exactly what Atlanta needs. By being greedy they got no sale... and when Smith walks they'll have cap space to get what good center???
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!

Return to Trades and Transactions