ImageImageImage

Call it now: Who we gettin by the trade deadline???

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Re: Call it now: Who we gettin by the trade deadline??? 

Post#361 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:16 am

I want to extend pek. but we NEED a good young center to back him up. We could always sign pek and trade him down the road of things dont work out.. but im hoping it does.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#362 » by sisibilio » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:33 am

NikolaPekovic wrote:I want to extend pek. but we NEED a good young center to back him up. We could always sign pek and trade him down the road of things dont work out.. but im hoping it does.

If Taylor is willing to pay the tax or Kahn clears enough salary somehow maybe you can make another Shvedlike move in the offseasn and go after Vitor Faverani, after some dissapointing years in Malaga he seems to have put his ***** ***** ** together and is playing like he cares.
He's under contract for 2 more seasons but probably has an affordable buyout.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#363 » by Murphs56 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:53 am

Personally, I'd like to re-sign Pek, re-sign Bud, and add a starting claiber 2 guard this summer. I'd like to see what that team can do. That of course with a healthy Love and Healthy Rubio finally playing together
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#364 » by southern wolf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:59 am

The Bucks got Redick for scraps! Scraps! Why couldn't we pull that off?!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#365 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 am

southern wolf wrote:The Bucks got Redick for scraps! Scraps! Why couldn't we pull that off?!

Because we don't have any expiring contracts
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#366 » by [RCG] » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:16 am

Klomp wrote:
southern wolf wrote:The Bucks got Redick for scraps! Scraps! Why couldn't we pull that off?!

Because we don't have any expiring contracts

Roy... Stiemsma?

Roy, Malcolm Lee, Memphis 1st
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#367 » by Nuggets_Talk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:17 am

PZiv wrote:Not like hes third string in your 5 spot, anyway right? You prolly need Greg Stiemsma to cover his departure, don't you?
Apart from Brandon Roy being the only terrible thing in the deal, I think you overestimate 10mpg player while you have logjam on his position(+you drafted another guy on 5). On the other hand, I myself have serious doubts would have even perform better than the Stiemer did or he would have his own terrible display of skills.

i think you missed the point.

we "missed out" on a 20-something pick in a weak draft? id much rather keep a 7 footer as insurance/size. and hes certainly better than stiesma.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#368 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 am

He's a free agent, giving up anything for him would have been risky.
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#369 » by jfg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 am

25 million dollars is a lot of cap space to have tied to two players with the same skill set. We don't need both of them and we are in the unfortunate position of having the better one griping about playing in Minnesota. We need one of them and the lesser one's contract is up first. Not good. But, what option do they have but to resign him? If they let him go they only have 7 million to play with in free agency. Even Mozkov is going to get close to that and then we're still looking at what kind of SG we can get for a combo of D-Will, Ridnour and a draft pick. The same option they have if they keep Pek. At least with Pek we have that insurance if Love leaves and if he doesn't we have a trade asset.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#370 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 am

jfg wrote:We don't need both of them and we are in the unfortunate position of having the better one griping about playing in Minnesota. We need one of them and the lesser one's contract is up first. Not good.

Wait, when has this happened?
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#371 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 am

Love and Pekovic don't have the same skill set. There's really no reason to make a decision now. Let's at least see what they can do together with a full healthy season.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#372 » by The J Rocka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:45 am

Worm Guts wrote:Love and Pekovic don't have the same skill set. There's really no reason to make a decision now. Let's at least see what they can do together with a full healthy season.

I think in a sense of being below average defenders, not long or athletic, slow to get up the court, and not finishing with authority at the rim, they are similar in that sense.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#373 » by Tirion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 am

The J Rocka wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Love and Pekovic don't have the same skill set. There's really no reason to make a decision now. Let's at least see what they can do together with a full healthy season.

I think in a sense of being below average defenders, not long or athletic, slow to get up the court, and not finishing with authority at the rim, they are similar in that sense.

PEK is not a below-average defender. Check his opponent's PER or, you know, watch Tony Friggin Parker being forced to pass the ball one-on-one against him.

"Long or athletic"? Are you Kahn? I don't give a **** about long and athletic (see Johnson, Wes), I care about the ability to play basketball. And you should too.

"Slow to get up the court"? Have you missed PEK beating other team's guards to the rim? I don't even know where are you getting this stuff. Do you even watch games, bro?
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#374 » by Murphs56 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 am

The J Rocka wrote:

Their games compliment each other very well. Just from viewing the way they play, they seem to feed off one another especially on the offensive glass. Pek is a lot worse on the glass in my opinion without Love. Love requires a lot of attention
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#375 » by Tirion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:08 am

Also "not finishing with authority" line is stupid too. Ugly points count just the same as the dunks.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#376 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 am

Murphs56 wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

Their games compliment each other very well. Just from viewing the way they play, they seem to feed off one another especially on the offensive glass. Pek is a lot worse on the glass in my opinion without Love. Love requires a lot of attention

We just need a 3rd athletic shot blocking big man who could fill in at either spot.

Honestly i would be down for a derrick willians-Biyombo trade. We are getting another project in a sense but its a project that benefits our team more.

Just theorycrafting :D
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#377 » by Tirion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 am

Steamer was supposed to provide the shotblocking part.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#378 » by The J Rocka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 am

Tirion wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

PEK is not a below-average defender. Check his opponent's PER or, you know, watch Tony Friggin Parker being forced to pass the ball one-on-one against him.

"Long or athletic"? Are you Kahn? I don't give a **** about long and athletic (see Johnson, Wes), I care about the ability to play basketball. And you should too.

"Slow to get up the court"? Have you missed PEK beating other team's guards to the rim? I don't even know where are you getting this stuff. Do you even watch games, bro?

He's not like Love as a piss poor defender, fine, but he's certainly nothing to brag about on the defensive end. Did you watch DeAndre Jordan & Griffin out hustle him and shoot over 60% on him while giving up a load of rebounds (offensive rebounds too)?

After watching Rubio excel with Faried, excuse me for wanting someone that can catch & finish most of Rubio's dimes. After awhile, you get sick of watching stonehands and blown layups. Rubio plays better with athletic bigs. Can he still play & make guys like Love & Pek look like stars? Of course, he made Darko look great.

Should we overpay Pek to pair with Love and call it a day? I don't think so. Nothing reeks of mediocre more than overpaying Pek and keeping Love around. That will only leave us with MLE scrub like Courtney Lee left to get.

Not trying to downplay Pek because he's a top 10 center, but some of you act like Pek is a prime Shaq.
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#379 » by jfg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 am

The J Rocka wrote:
Should we overpay Pek to pair with Love and call it a day? I don't think so. Nothing reeks of mediocre more than overpaying Pek and keeping Love around. That will only leave us with MLE scrub like Courtney Lee left to get.

Same deal if you keep Pek. Even if he gets signed to somebody else for 12mil the only thing that counts for us is the 5mil that will come off our books. Pair that with Roy's salary and Budinger's minimum and you are getting the same MLE after you sign Pek's replacement. I still think the major parts of Love and Pek's games are way too similar to throw 25 mil at but there really isn't a choice.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#380 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 am

Tirion wrote:Steamer was supposed to provide the shotblocking part.

Right, but you can't play Pek and Steam together though. That's what NP was saying

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves