ImageImageImageImage

Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Re: Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch 

Post#1221 » by Cammo101 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Noonskadoodle wrote:Pretty clear we are focusing on PG in this draft. Whether that is Smart or trading down & targeting guys like Burke/McCollum/Brown & grabbing another asset in doing so.

To me, the perfect draft is to trade down with someone like Phoenix who has 2 lotto picks and grab one of the shooting guards with their first pick (whoever is still on the board between McLemore, Smart, and Oladipo) and then use their later lotto pick to grab Trey Burke.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#1222 » by cedric76 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 am

Cammo101 wrote:
Noonskadoodle wrote:Pretty clear we are focusing on PG in this draft. Whether that is Smart or trading down & targeting guys like Burke/McCollum/Brown & grabbing another asset in doing so.

To me, the perfect draft is to trade down with someone like Phoenix who has 2 lotto picks and grab one of the shooting guards with their first pick (whoever is still on the board between McLemore, Smart, and Oladipo) and then use their later lotto pick to grab Trey Burke.

I agree

if position stay the same, noone in the top 5 would go after Smart, so trading with phoenix would be perfect, we grab Smart at 5 and get whoever GM want at 13
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#1223 » by Skin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 am

The perfect draft to me is one where we trade down (take Burke) and pick up a 1st rounder in the loaded 2014 draft.

Having 2 1sts next year will get us some mean firepower to move up.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#1224 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:35 am

Skin wrote:The perfect draft to me is one where we trade down (take Burke) and pick up a 1st rounder in the loaded 2014 draft.

Having 2 1sts next year will get us some mean firepower to move up.

Don't we already have 2 first round picks in 2014?

The Nuggets have two first-round picks in 2014: their own pick and a pick from the New York Knicks. The Magic will receive the less favorable of the two picks.

Man if we could pull off a trade with PHX this draft I would be all for it
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1225 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 am

Cross your fingers for our FUTURE superstar :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE1yRLb3DgE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3litVLtiT08[/youtube]
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1226 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:17 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mcabRjrD2k[/youtube]
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#1227 » by magicman123 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 am

How often does trading up or back happen in the NBA?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#1228 » by thelead » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 am

magicman123 wrote:How often does trading up or back happen in the NBA?

It happens often enough that it's not irrational to think that it may happen. Although, off the top of my head, the only examples I can think of is moving back/up ONE or TWO spots.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#1229 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:06 am

I'm going to wait until I see him play in college before I decide that Wiggins is a can't miss mega star that people are declaring him to be. I mean, if high school was all we needed to see before knowing how good these players are, then shebazz wouldn't be getting shown up by Bmac and Kentucky wouldn't be in danger of missing the tournament
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1230 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 am

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:I'm going to wait until I see him play in college before I decide that Wiggins is a can't miss mega star that people are declaring him to be. I mean, if high school was all we needed to see before knowing how good these players are, then shebazz wouldn't be getting shown up by Bmac and Kentucky wouldn't be in danger of missing the tournament

Well to be fair, Shabazz is everything they said he was gonna be. He is the best scorer in this draft & is averaging 19 as a freshman & is still arguably the #1 pick. Would I draft him? Nope, but there is no denying his ability to find ways to put the ball in the hoop.

As for Kentucky they are more than likely a lock for the tourney if Noel doesn't go down, & they still may be with their other freshman stepping up. Next year is the year that Kentucky will be a major major problem, with or without Noel coming back.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#1231 » by thelead » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 am

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:I'm going to wait until I see him play in college before I decide that Wiggins is a can't miss mega star that people are declaring him to be. I mean, if high school was all we needed to see before knowing how good these players are, then shebazz wouldn't be getting shown up by Bmac and Kentucky wouldn't be in danger of missing the tournament

I was calling shabazz a selfish chucker in high school. If you use your own eyes (and not listen to the hype), you can weed through a lot of the trash. Wiggins is the real deal. He outplayed Shabazz in an International US vs The World game (and is 2 years younger mind you). I will gladly take the extra year and watch Wiggins in college though, just to make sure :wink: It definitely can't hurt. And by chance that he isn't as good as it appears, there are other top tier talents in the same draft. Hopefully we can draft whoever is the best prospect.
blue and white
Bench Warmer
And1: 57

Post#1232 » by blue and white » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 am

just thinkin if we draft bennett this year and somehow get wiggins we could almost have the Canadian national team with nicholson already here
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#1233 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:15 am

blue and white wrote:just thinkin if we draft bennett this year and somehow get wiggins we could almost have the Canadian national team with nicholson already here

As much as I like the idea of being team canada, I'd rather not take bennett :-?
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#1234 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 am

thelead wrote:

I was calling shabazz a selfish chucker in high school. If you use your own eyes (and not listen to the hype), you can weed through a lot of the trash. Wiggins is the real deal. He outplayed Shabazz in an International US vs The World game (and is 2 years younger mind you). I will gladly take the extra year and watch Wiggins in college though, just to make sure :wink: It definitely can't hurt. And by chance that he isn't as good as it appears, there are other top tier talents in the same draft. Hopefully we can draft whoever is the best prospect.

Jabari Parker is supposed to be good too, and some other guys, in case we dont win the lottery :cry:
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1235 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:04 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I have no clue why anyone wants us to pick noel. I was wrong about him resembling dwight. He's worse! Remember how one of the bigger issues with dwight being a poor ft shooter was the fact he wasn't as strong as Shaq therefore he didn't finish a lot of those shots Thus he had to shoot two fts?

Now picture it being 30 million times worse. If we want a player that only blocks shots, rebounds, and can't score, then go get biyombo.

He's nothing like Biyombo, Noel knows how to play basketball.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#1236 » by cedric76 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 am

Smart McLemore match up last night

2 OT

STARTERS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Ben McLemore, G 49 3-12 1-3 0-0 2 6 1 2 0 1 2 7
Marcus Smart, G 43 2-14 1-6 11-14 1 7 1 2 0 2 5 16
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#1237 » by Skin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 am

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have Jabari Parker than Andrew Wiggins.

...plus Parker just seems destined to be a Magic in my mind for some reason. I think it's a natural fit with his personality and the types we've had over the years.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Redphilly
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#1238 » by Redphilly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Skin wrote:I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have Jabari Parker than Andrew Wiggins.

...plus Parker just seems destined to be a Magic in my mind for some reason. I think it's a natural fit with his personality and the types we've had over the years.

Can somebody give me an idea how big is the gap betweem Wiggins and Parker. In all mockdrafts they are 1-2 with Wiggins in pole position. Is he really so much better than Parker? Who are the other players to watch in the 2014 draftclass.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#1239 » by dsg2021 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:24 pm

There's like Wiggins, Parker, and these Harrison brothers all supposedly in the top 5 so far. We'd really need to pin on 4-5 players to statistically actually maybe pick the right one with where we end up drafting and who the Magic like. I think Parker and a few others are being touted as 1st picks if it were a weaker/normal draft.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1240 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Eurocups Top 5 Rising Star Candidates...

5. Rudy Gobert, Cholet Basket (26 June, 1992)
Gobert brings an impressive combination of size and athleticism to the center spot, which has turned him into an elite shot-blocking prospect. He was selected to the all-tournament team at the Under-20 European Championships over the summer after helping France win a silver medal with a whopping 10.7 points, 10.7 rebounds and 4.7 blocks in the three elimination round games. Having locked down a starting spot with Cholet this season, the sky is the limit for Gobert.

4. Tomas Satoransky, Cajasol Seville (30 October, 1991)
The tall and athletic Satoransky returns to the Eurocup two years after helping Cajasol reach the competition title game. His experiences with Cajasol and the Czech senior national team have only helped Satoransky’s knowledge of the game improve to make him a truly dangerous weapon. He is a great slasher who loves to excite the crowds with big dunks. Improving his outside shooting appears to be the final frontier for Satoransky on his rise to stardom.

3. Nikos Pappas, Panionios (11 July, 1990)
Scoring guard Pappas has long been considered one of the top young guards in Europe after terrorizing the junior summer circuit by leading Greece to two gold and three silver medals at the Under-18, U-19 and U-20 European and World Championships between 2008 and 2010. He has already established himself as a go-to guy for his new club Panionios after erupting for 32 points, 8 rebounds and a performance index rating of 36 in the third game of the Greek League regular season.

2. Bojan Dubljevic, Valencia Basket (24 October, 1991)
Dubljevic comes off a season in which he was selected to the All-Eurocup Second Team, even though he didn’t claim a spot in Buducnost’s starting five till late in the regular season. He was the MVP for the first games in the quarterfinals when he went for 15 points, 8 rebounds and 3 steals against his current team, Valencia. This season he provides serious scoring punch in a part-time starting role that could expand as the 21-year-old continues to improve week by week.

1. Furkan Aldemir, Galatasaray Medical Park (9 August, 1991)
Ademir showed skill as a dominant rebounder and active player in the paint last season as he garnered votes in the 2012 Euroleague Rising Star Award voting. Now a year older and stronger, Aldemir should be a fixture in the Galatasaray lineup and one of the best offensive rebounders in the Eurocup. With a motor that never stops, no fear of contact and a cast of great players around him that will make Aldemir and Galatasaray better, he enters the season as a prime candidate for the Rising Star Award.

Return to Orlando Magic