what can Brooklyn get for: hump, teletovic, brooks?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Re: what can Brooklyn get for: hump, teletovic, brooks? 

Post#21 » by PetroNet » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 am

parson wrote:
PetroNet wrote:They signed him for the purpose of being able to trade him and take back 15 million in salary. the choices are either:

a) dont sign humphries, and not be able to trade for someone like millsap or josh smith.

or

b) sign humphries, and then have the available salary to send out for a millsap or smith

the nets were over the salary cap and luxury tax by a large margin before signing humphries. the only reason they could bring him back is because they owned his rights. it was a no brainer to not only bring him back, but to bring him back on the highest salary/shortest length possible

Could you honestly ever believe that Humphries could get Milsap or Smith?

It's as if the Nets found a paintbrush, walked over to a corner and started painting themselves into it.

Whether or not they can land Milsap or Smith is irrelevant. At the very least, signing hump to the contract they did allows them a chance to even be in the running for those types of players. it was a great signing for the nets, as it gives them flexibility they would otherwise not have.

If you want to criticize trading for Johson and his contract, giving lopez the Max, or overpaying Wallace you can make very legit arguments for that. But to say giving humphries that contract AFTER the team was already committed to being over the luxury tax for the next 4 seasons was a bad signing just shows a lack of understand of the Nets situation.

your options are either:

A) Be over the cap/tax for the next 4 years AND have the ability to take back 15M in a trade

or

B) be over the cap/tax for the next 4 years and NOT have the ability to take back hard any salary in a trade

they sionged humphries as a trade asset. worst case they deal him as an expiring next year for a pick or young asset
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#22 » by WizardsWorld » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:54 am

Hump for Gordon makes too much sense not to happen. Its going down in a matter of hours.
shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 85

Post#23 » by shagadelic45 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:29 pm

yea..prob right
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#24 » by parson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:41 am

PetroNet wrote:
parson wrote:
PetroNet wrote:They signed him for the purpose of being able to trade him and take back 15 million in salary. the choices are either:

a) dont sign humphries, and not be able to trade for someone like millsap or josh smith.

or

b) sign humphries, and then have the available salary to send out for a millsap or smith

the nets were over the salary cap and luxury tax by a large margin before signing humphries. the only reason they could bring him back is because they owned his rights. it was a no brainer to not only bring him back, but to bring him back on the highest salary/shortest length possible

Could you honestly ever believe that Humphries could get Milsap or Smith?

It's as if the Nets found a paintbrush, walked over to a corner and started painting themselves into it.

Whether or not they can land Milsap or Smith is irrelevant. At the very least, signing hump to the contract they did allows them a chance to even be in the running for those types of players. it was a great signing for the nets, as it gives them flexibility they would otherwise not have.

Well then, sign ME for $11 million. That way, you can "be in the running" to trade me for Monta Ellis. Right?
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#25 » by PetroNet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 pm

parson wrote:

Well then, sign ME for $11 million. That way, you can "be in the running" to trade me for Monta Ellis. Right?

thats basically exactly what the nets did. signed humphries to big money just so they will have an expiring contract at some point.

if you dont think someone is going to give us something of value next year for humps 12M expiring, you are crazy
shagadelic45
General Manager

Post#26 » by shagadelic45 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 pm

why didn't broklyn sing hump to a 1 year deal or a team option on the second year......that would have been the smarter/better move....hump would have had way more trade value as an expiring this year, to net them something good...
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#27 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 pm

shagadelic45 wrote:why didn't broklyn sing hump to a 1 year deal or a team option on the second year......that would have been the smarter/better move....hump would have had way more trade value as an expiring this year, to net them something good...

I could be wrong but players who sign one year deals do not have bird rights. And no NBA player is going to sign a 1 year deal and risk injury and guarantee money.
shagadelic45
General Manager

Post#28 » by shagadelic45 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 pm

ahhh......thanks, maybe they could have at least put in a buy out option on the second year
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#29 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Felt like hump brooks and a pick for best available since hump was signed. And the alternative was simply no hump, so for ability and trade matching it made sense. Sure 10m would have felt better, but who is BK to say no, and prok sleeps in a bed of money anyway.

Problem was, Hump has underperformed. So there goes his trade value. And use.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#30 » by cucad8 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 pm

PetroNet wrote:
if you dont think someone is going to give us something of value next year for humps 12M expiring, you are crazy

Problem with that is there are a LOT of teams with big expirings next season. Just him by himself doesn't do a ton for you. If you're expecting a big return, there'll be competition, and you'd need assets with the expiring. And unfortunately, Brooks and Teletovic aren't good young assets worth adding to it. Other teams will have better, and it'll be a seller's market if someone is truly pawning off a big deal.
shagadelic45
General Manager

Post#31 » by shagadelic45 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:55 pm

just think if bky put a team option or next year, hump's value is greatly increased
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#32 » by The Penguin » Tue Mar 5, 2013 6:09 pm

I don't see where anyone can say a 25 year old dime a dozen wing and a 27 year old stretch 4 are two promising youngsters.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Mar 5, 2013 6:28 pm

If David West walks and Indy misses out on a replacement PF, I'd send Gerald Green for Humphries. For Indy, we get an expiring contract on a guy who could eat some minutes at PF for us and possibly be a trade piece mid year, as well as get out of the last 2 years of Gerald Green's deal and hopefully avoid the luxury tax possibility once Paul George gets his extension (also allows us to possibly re-sign Granger after his current deal, if we so choose).

For Brooklyn, it would give them a deep rotational wing player that apparently can only play well for them, while also shaving almost $9 million off the payroll and seriously dropping the repeat penalty on luxury tax payments.

Kind of a last ditch possibility late summer for the Pacers, if anything.
mainmolina
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#34 » by mainmolina » Tue Mar 5, 2013 8:49 pm

Boozer. Great player, just overpaid, and I'd love to have shorter contracts. Maybe Brooks can turn it around. Throw in RIP so salaries match. Better than Gasol, by a lot.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#35 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:19 pm

HBAP (Hump, Brooks and Pick(s)..maybe Euros too) will continue to be offered through next trade deadline. Not Teletovic for a myriad of reasons. The main difference will simply be hump will be about 80% paid by the 2014 deadline.

I'm still expecting mostly the same targets...

Ilyasova
J.Green + B.Bass
Nene/Okafor
Varejao
Gasol
Boozer
Garnett

And whoever gets the most overpaid/under-performing of this year's FAs:

Smith
Milsap
Jefferson
West
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
HanginAround
Junior
And1: 5

Post#36 » by HanginAround » Wed Mar 6, 2013 12:03 am

You can get one of the B's BG... Boozer... Bargs?
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#37 » by NashtyNas » Wed Mar 6, 2013 6:25 am

I have a hard time believing that the Wizards wouldn't move Nene if their in a similar position again next year, they'd have no reason NOT to. They would seriously need to consider yet another firesale, and Nene would have to be the first to go due to being the biggest contract. I believe an expiring Hump along with Brooks and a mid/late pick should certainly get that deal done should the opportunity arise, which it very well may come Trade Deadline 2014.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#38 » by WizardsWorld » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:31 am

I_Socrates wrote:I have a hard time believing that the Wizards wouldn't move Nene if their in a similar position again next year, they'd have no reason NOT to. They would seriously need to consider yet another firesale, and Nene would have to be the first to go due to being the biggest contract. I believe an expiring Hump along with Brooks and a mid/late pick should certainly get that deal done should the opportunity arise, which it very well may come Trade Deadline 2014.

Not happening. We like Nene a lot and while we may entertain trade offers for him it surely wouldn't be for that package. Next year with our main guys healthy Wall/Beal/Nene we expect to be very competitive and a playoff team.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#39 » by LApwnd » Wed Mar 6, 2013 5:22 pm

mainmolina wrote:Boozer. Great player, just overpaid, and I'd love to have shorter contracts. Maybe Brooks can turn it around. Throw in RIP so salaries match. Better than Gasol, by a lot.

Humphries is better than Pau? now I've heard it all :lol:
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Post#40 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 7:36 pm

Hump, Teletovic, and Brooks
for
Bass, Lee, and Melo

(I'm making a joke, it's one of those jokes only I'll get, a joke for one, but, it makes me happy)
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."

Return to Trades and Transactions