Official: Rockets trade for Thomas Robinson

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Who won the trade

Houston
90%
Sacramento
5%
Both
1%
Neither
4%

Total votes: 83

franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Re: Official: Rockets trade for Thomas Robinson 

Post#61 » by franktony » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Honestly the big mistake was not trading T-Rob. I don't even think he is better than Patterson tbh. The huge mistake was drafting T-Rob instead of Drummond, Barnes or Lillard. T-Rob is basically a poor's man Hickson.

The Kings organization screwed up big time in the past 2 drafts.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#62 » by x- » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm

HAHAHAHAHHAHHA!

:wizard:

(Sorry Kings fans.)
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#63 » by RoyalWun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:16 pm

franktony wrote:Honestly the big mistake was not trading T-Rob. I don't even think he is better than Patterson tbh. The huge mistake was drafting T-Rob instead of Drummond, Barnes or Lillard. T-Rob is basically a poor's man Hickson.

But the argument people are making is that he's only in his rookie season and BARELY gotten a chance to play. Everyone knows the more opportunity you get = the faster you improve.

He's only gotten more than 25 minutes 6 times in the whole year so far. And 4/6 of those games he's scored over 10 points. I know that may not be breathtaking stats, but he's shown to be able to produce if given the opportunity. The same opportunity he has not received.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#64 » by franktony » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm

RoyalWun wrote:
franktony wrote:Honestly the big mistake was not trading T-Rob. I don't even think he is better than Patterson tbh. The huge mistake was drafting T-Rob instead of Drummond, Barnes or Lillard. T-Rob is basically a poor's man Hickson.

But the argument people are making is that he's only in his rookie season and BARELY gotten a chance to play. Everyone knows the more opportunity you get = the faster you improve.

He's only gotten more than 25 minutes 6 times in the whole year so far. And 4/6 of those games he's scored over 10 points. I know that may not be breathtaking stats, but he's shown to be able to produce if given the opportunity. The same opportunity he has not received.

I don't disagree with you that the Kings organization is a mess. Look at what happened with JJ Hickson. They traded Omri and a 1st round pick for him just to waive him in a few months. The same Hickson is producing good numbers in Portland.
People are overreacting because T-Rob was a top 5 pick in the past draft, not because of his ceiling or skills.

I could be wrong, but I don't see anything special in Robinson. Never did. His absolutely ceiling is Hickson. To me, Houston has better prospects to develop at the position. Moutie, for example, has a much higher ceiling than T-Rob.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#65 » by gswhoops » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Morey strikes again.

T-Rob may not have lit it up so far but he hasn't really had an opportunity either. There's a reason he was the #5 overall pick (and in discussions to go as high as #2 IIRC). Can't believe the Kings are willing to give up on him so early but their loss is the Rockets' gain. Lin/Harden/Parsons/Robinson/Asik is a great lineup IMO.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#66 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 pm

This is what happens when you don't work out any of the players in the top 5, then just pick one based on what you saw in college. No wonder no one wants to come to Sacramento...
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#67 » by Krodis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:49 pm

This is the Rockets buying really low on Robinson, and not really giving up all that much to do it.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#68 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Robinson is an energy crash the offensive boards type of player.....He'll likely do well with guys like Lynn and the Beard dishing him lobs. Good players are often considered bad players because the system they are in stinks...

I would not be surprised if Robinson busts out as a rocket.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
scottyg
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#69 » by scottyg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:42 pm

why dont the rockets turn and trade all them players for josh smith?
francisco garcia, thomas robinson, terrance jones or royce white and a 1st for josh smith?
Sasaki
Veteran
And1: 781

Post#70 » by Sasaki » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm

scottyg wrote:why dont the rockets turn and trade all them players for josh smith?
francisco garcia, thomas robinson, terrance jones or royce white and a 1st for josh smith?

We can't because the logistics of the trade (physicals, reporting with the team) won't be finished by the deadline, and besides, why trade those guys when we could pick up Smith in free agency?
But do you know what they call a fool, who's full of himself and jumps into the path of death because it's cool?
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#71 » by NashtyNas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:I should be allowed to vote for Houston 20 times.

Yeah, definitely.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#72 » by old rem » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Blazinaway wrote:Kings ineptness at drafting and trading reaching new heights, surprised they did this with a sale imminent

Hard to explain or justify. i guess they think that they can't coach up a talent themselves,so need to trade potential for someone a bit more developed. Strange they even threw in a rd 2 when they got the short end without that.
CENSORED... No comment.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#73 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 pm

I think Pat will have a better career than Robinson, but this is still horrid as TRob would've had trade value.

I love how the Zorro sign of a horrible trade is the ripped off team throwing a 2nd. :lol:
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#74 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:20 am

The Kings could have at least used T-Rob to trade away a bad contract, like Salmons, or used him and Evans together to get a quality star back. Ugh.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 126

Post#75 » by jarryd3107 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:20 am

Robinson is under no pressure in Houston, he'll be fine. He gets after it, brings good energy. He'll also benefit from playing next to Asik who can bail him out on defense against better PFs.

Houston also pick-up an above-average perimeter defender in Garcia, which has been an issue for their second unit.
Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Post#76 » by Fattz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 am

Sasaki wrote:
scottyg wrote:why dont the rockets turn and trade all them players for josh smith?

We can't because the logistics of the trade (physicals, reporting with the team) won't be finished by the deadline, and besides, why trade those guys when we could pick up Smith in free agency?

Wow smart teams just wait when they now they can just buy the player they want in the off season. (it was time to punch Patterson's ticket out :wink: ) I had no idea that Rodinson was the answer much better (more upside) than Lopez. I see him getting time as a back-up center for the rest of this season though. We will still make the play-offs because of the pace we play at. Morris for a 2nd round - I thought it would have been Defino - I was wrong. That is way DM is the GM - better player & better pick :D
Laowai
Analyst
And1: 26

Post#77 » by Laowai » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 am

T-Rob is trash and should never been a top 5 pick little less top 20.
He played behind the Morris twins who are both trash enough said.
Canadian in China
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#78 » by Golabki » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:08 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:Robinson is under no pressure in Houston, he'll be fine. He gets after it, brings good energy. He'll also benefit from playing next to Asik who can bail him out on defense against better PFs.

Houston also pick-up an above-average perimeter defender in Garcia, which has been an issue for their second unit.
I don't think T. Rob is going to play next to Asik. In Houston's system they like open up the lane, by bring Asik out on the high screen and playing PF who can hit a 10-15 fter if there man leaves to help. T-Rob can't do that now, and may never be able to.

I think T. Rob fits in as a back-up center... he's a bit undersized, but he brings good rebounding, athleticism and energy... of course so does Greg Smith (who is only a few months older than Robinson).

I wonder if Morey think T. Rob is a long-term fit for Houston, or if this is a asset accumulation move.

Also, Garcia isn't above average at anything, but he is a swing man with a brain is his head... so he may get minutes for Houston.

Return to Trades and Transactions