ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#401 » by dandrews » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:27 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
dandrews wrote:Even if we do fire Ernie, does anyone expect Ted to hire an actual competent GM.

Let's give the Wizards to Sacramento so I can start the process of finding a new team sooner than later.

Ted has never fired and then hired a new GM, so we have no idea. :lol:

He's been incompetent as an owner in every way so far. I think I have an idea.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#402 » by closg00 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Re-post

The Bucks sent to Orlando for Redick.

Doron Lamb - 42nd pick 2012
Tobias Harris - 19th Pick 2011
Beno Urdrich

Even if the Bucks are unable to re-sign Redick, it shows that 2nd round picks are valuable assets not to be tossed away Ted and Ernie.
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#403 » by dandrews » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm

closg00 wrote:Re-post

Beno Urdrich

Even if the Bucks are unable to re-sign Redick, it shows that 2nd round picks are valuable assets not to be tossed away Ted and Ernie :c

Bucks also got Gustavo Ayon and Ish Smith as well. I'd say they made out pretty good.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#404 » by mohammed10 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:Sign and promote this petition:

Fire Ernie: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fireernie/

Wow - up to 35-36 sigs already.

Spam your Wiz friends. Let's see how many sigs we can generate!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#405 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:19 pm

dandrews wrote:
closg00 wrote:Re-post

Beno Urdrich

Even if the Bucks are unable to re-sign Redick, it shows that 2nd round picks are valuable assets not to be tossed away Ted and Ernie :c

Bucks also got Gustavo Ayon and Ish Smith as well. I'd say they made out pretty good.

Now they can be a slightly annoying pest to Miami in the 1st round of the playoffs. :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#406 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

done :clap:

Me too, and I even paid extra (since I have a big Paypal credit).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Post#407 » by Deivy202 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 pm

me too . do these things work?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#408 » by AFM » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 pm

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#409 » by TGW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 am

David Aldridge was on TV today, and he literally LOL'd at the trade from the Wizards perspective. He laughed. I couldn't do anything but facepalm...it was embarrassing.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#410 » by W. Unseld » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 am

This trade was the nail in the coffin for me; Grunfeld needs to go before he handles another draft or the Ariza & Okafor expiring contracts.

With that said, ownership shares a lot of the blame here & I'm beginning to think that there must be financial issues or they wouldn't be making moves with zero basketball sense & minimal financial upside.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#411 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:03 am

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ec17ed0000

This should make you'll feel better.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#412 » by montestewart » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 am

hands11 wrote:http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/?tag=Washington%20Wizards&tagId=0000013b-206c-db26-af3b-edec17ed0000

This should make you'll feel better.

That interviewer says "kind of" a lot. EG seems like he could just as easily serve drinks at the Tube Bar.
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#413 » by rockymac52 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 am

That video does say a lot.

It says that the Wizards decided they were done with Jordan Crawford, so they decided to move him. The reasons they were done with him, from what I can gather from the video, is that he was not a good locker room presence, he didn't play defense, and he wasn't a team player.

Many of us have been saying all 3 of those things for months now. I agree with them, and I think they are all valid reasons for deciding to part ways with Crawford.

However, the issue here (for most people) isn't that Crawford was traded. The issue is what he was traded for.

Although that video was brief, Grunfeld didn't manage to say anything positive about either Barbosa or Collins. It's clear that they are just bodies/expiring contracts to him. I suppose you could argue that Collins at least falls in line with the defense-first mindset of the franchise, but Grunfeld didn't say that, I'm just making the assumption there. If there's a press conference tomorrow I'm sure he'll shed more light on that.

The take-home message is that we decided Crawford did not fit into our current and future plans, and thus, he needed to be traded. I'm okay with that. However, he was traded for nothing of value, and the Wizards aren't even attempting to put their PR spin on it yet, so I'm inclined to think the Wizards agree that he was traded for nothing of value. It's fine to believe in addition by subtraction, and I honestly think Crawford might be a perfect example of that, but regardless, it does not mean he should be given away for nothing in return. It is GM 101 that if you trade something of value, you should get something of similar or greater value in return, and at the VERY LEAST, something of value in return. A 5th grader could probably tell you that. But instead, we chose to get rid of Crawford and get nothing in return. It's beyond frustrating and illogical.

Let's give Ernie the benefit of the doubt and assume that there were legitimately no better offers for Crawford out there. If that's the case, then that means that we felt so strongly about Crawford's negative impact on the team, that we were willing to give him away for free. So there better be a damn good reason that comes to public light in the near future that explains why Crawford's locker room presence was SO bad that we couldn't stand to keep him on the team, even on the end of the bench, any longer.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#414 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:07 am

AFM wrote:Just discovered this site: http://www.fireerniegrunfeld.com/p/blog-page_27.html

That is a great website.

Stop smiling, indeed.
Bye bye Beal.
Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Post#415 » by Deivy202 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 am

TGW wrote:David Aldridge was on TV today, and he literally LOL'd at the trade from the Wizards perspective. He laughed. I couldn't do anything but facepalm...it was embarrassing.

How hard was he laughing ? like his face was turning red or purple from not able to breath.
bgroban
Junior
And1: 48

Post#416 » by bgroban » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Why do people keep blaming Ernie for this mess?

This is 100% on Ted.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#417 » by Knighthonor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

I been getting the feeling that Blatche was right about the Wizard's staff. they will throw anybody under the bus to cover their ass.

player x y and z are all bad in the locker room so we had to trade them or drop them no matter how good they are, for whatever we can get....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#418 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Who to pin this on more is right. Ted, EG or Randy or all the above..

I blame Ted for approving the move. EG for allowing Whitman to not use and develop Crawford better. I think I would blame all three. Probably Whitman a little more then the others. He was in charge of lining them up and running the roster.

Crawford was the leading scorer on the team until they benched him and he got better every year. He is one of the 4 best iso scorer in the league. His PER is second on the team for the guards. His AST% is .26.1%. Not back for a scoring guard. Gils career average was 26.8 and he played PG.

Dray has a PER of 22 averaging 10 pts 5.5 rebounds, 1 steal in 19 minutes on .492 shooting

They are still playing Dray for 3 more years at an average of 8M a year.

Return on both these players ? Less then a half of year of Jason Collins a scrub 34 year old 7-0 center that can't jump over a paper napkin and zero picks. :-?
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#419 » by rockymac52 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm

I wasn't happy when we exercised our team option on Jordan Crawford back in October, mostly because I have never been a fan and just wanted him gone from this team as soon as possible. But at the time everyone here was saying we had to exercise the team option because it made sense to keep him around on such a cheap rookie scale contract, especially because it was only one more year, there were no cap savings that would result from letting him go, and he was young and inexperienced enough that maybe he could show some development this season.

Well, as much as I still think Crawford sucks and needed to go, there's no denying he was a much better player this season than he was in the past. He made some pretty significant strides overall.

So my question now is why did we exercise the team option in the first place?

How much development were we expecting from him between last season and this season, considering that whatever we expected, he clearly didn't meet? I mean, I suppose we probably knew that no matter how bad he was, we'd always be able to trade him at the deadline for expirings at the very least, so it was worth a shot, but still... Frustrating.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#420 » by pineappleheadindc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:46 pm

mohammed10 wrote:

Wow - up to 35-36 sigs already.

Spam your Wiz friends. Let's see how many sigs we can generate!

Up to 74 as I type this.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda

Return to Washington Wizards