ImageImageImageImage

The Tobias Harris Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: The Tobias Harris Thread 

Post#61 » by OrlandO » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:16 am

Ish can handle, but he also gets out of control a lot, especially when he turns on the burners... he will never be a starting pg in this league though. He's currently a third stringer and should aim to be a quality backup.
Tarot Magician
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#62 » by Tarot Magician » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 am

Ish's main problem is decision-making. He has great speed, but he often uses it to run into traffic with nowhere to go or pass.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#63 » by NickAnderson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 am

He said ELITE handles. Average yes but elite, hell no.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,720

Post#64 » by Ayt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:
Ayt wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:I dont get it, so Harris cant really shoot and he isnt a good athlete, but he can score somehow?

Can he do antwan jamison bulsht shots or something?

He's a good athlete and he has a decent shot. I don't know why anyone would characterize him differently. He's particularly explosive and strong around the rim.

Here's a couple dunks from the SL that shows off his athleticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3x6cEU ... page#t=34s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qXzxBQrYqs

He made 6 three pointers all last season. apparently the highlight video that was posted earlier shows him making 2 of them. We cant rely on him to reliably make 3 point shots. He's shooting 33% this season, but has only taken 21 all season.

Based on his highlights, he seems alot like Harkless, youth and everything.

There is shooting ability other than just threes. He has a very solid midrange jumper right now. He can catch from 18-20 feet or so, pump fake, and hit a shorter jumper off the bounce already really well. He also has a nice jumper in the post.

Harkless has no jumper at all. He has an eFG% of .222 on jumpers this year. That is unreal bad. That has to be close to worst in the league bad. Harris has an eFG% on jumpers this year of .471. That is very solid considering he didn't take a lot of threes to boost that number higher.

Tobias shot chart on jumpers.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =JUMP_SHOT

Harkless shot chart on jumpers.

They are completely different offensively. Tobias actually has an impressive offensive game already. Harkless is almost useless offensively.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#65 » by JayMKE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:56 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:
Ayt wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:I dont get it, so Harris cant really shoot and he isnt a good athlete, but he can score somehow?

Can he do antwan jamison bulsht shots or something?

He's a good athlete and he has a decent shot. I don't know why anyone would characterize him differently. He's particularly explosive and strong around the rim.

Here's a couple dunks from the SL that shows off his athleticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3x6cEU ... page#t=34s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qXzxBQrYqs

He made 6 three pointers all last season. apparently the highlight video that was posted earlier shows him making 2 of them. We cant rely on him to reliably make 3 point shots. He's shooting 33% this season, but has only taken 21 all season.

Based on his highlights, he seems alot like Harkless, youth and everything.

He never got any consistent playing time with us so his totals aren't that big of a deal. Shooting from long range isn't his strength as a player but from everything I seen he's adequate enough and can nail an open shot when the opportunity arises. The closer he gets to the basket, the more polished he is offensively.
FREE GIANNIS
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,202

Post#66 » by thelead » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 am

Ayt wrote:
There is shooting ability other than just threes. He has a very solid midrange jumper right now. He can catch from 18-20 feet or so, pump fake, and hit a shorter jumper off the bounce already really well. He also has a nice jumper in the post.

Harkless has no jumper at all. He has an eFG% of .222 on jumpers this year. That is unreal bad. That has to be close to worst in the league bad. Harris has an eFG% on jumpers this year of .471. That is very solid considering he didn't take a lot of threes to boost that number higher.

They are completely different offensively.

Can't say that I'm a fan based on youtube clips, yes, I know :lol: But I definitely respect a poster who comes correct with stats. It seems like you guys were high on him, hopefully he works out for us.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#67 » by Devin 1L » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:24 am

Truemaster15 wrote:He looks like that fat kid from hardball.. who remembers that movie?

Haha! That's true. Funny thing is he was kind of pudgy (by an athlete's standards) coming into the league, too.

I hate Keanu Reeves, but I have a soft spot for that movie. I've always thought Rajon Rondo was the star of that movie in his role as "Andre."
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#68 » by G-Heel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:30 am

Cool, new prospect we can overrate :)
Fire Otis!
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#69 » by SmiteaDwight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 am

thelead wrote:
Ayt wrote:

They are completely different offensively.

Can't say that I'm a fan based on youtube clips, yes, I know :lol: But I definitely respect a poster who comes correct with stats. It seems like you guys were high on him, hopefully he works out for us.

Agreed, thanks for producing these stats and an argument without sounding like a despicable doushbag.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#70 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:09 am

Ish is fast as balls. even TOO fast, if thats possible. He moves faster than he thinks, gets ahead of himself and looses the dribble. He plays uncontrollably
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#71 » by OrlandO » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:15 am

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:Ish is fast as balls. even TOO fast, if thats possible. He moves faster than he thinks, gets ahead of himself and looses the dribble. He plays uncontrollably

and that's why he's been on five teams in just three years
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#72 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:47 am

Harris has some good indicators when he plays a decent amount of minutes he's pretty productive. hes going to be excited to be here after not getting much opportunity the last 2 1/2 months
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#73 » by Skin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am

This trade isn't based on Harris being a finished product. There is no certainty that he'll ever make it in this league. But why the ho hum about his flaws? Shedding doubt on him based off what he's shown so far is entirely premature. He was one of the youngest players in the draft, this is his 2nd year in the league and he hasn't gotten any time on the court to develop. We HAD to get something for Redick. There was no other decision to make. Getting a guy who was taken with the 19th pick IS the kind of value we hoped for in return for Redick. We have Harris locked up till 2016 and he gives us another solid project to work on while keeping our salary cap in check. Heck who knows... maybe Harris flakes out and Lamb turns into a keeper. So many different things can happen, but it's worth the gamble of finding out because Redick was about to be lost for nothing.

BTW, there are a TON of good players in the league that have difficulty with defense.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,221

Post#74 » by Sigra » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 am

JayMKE wrote:Tobes isn't the athlete Josh Smith is. He's kind of a hard player to find a comparison for, definitely more of a scorer with his strength being in the post.

The best comparasion I heard so far is Corliss Williamson
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#75 » by Bensational » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 am

G-Heel wrote:Cool, new prospect we can overrate :)

I want to know why he didn't play tonight!? JV should be fired. Nevermind that the Magic didn't have a game, that's irrelevant. Heads need to roll!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Bensational » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 am

Skin wrote:This trade isn't based on Harris being a finished product. There is no certainty that he'll ever make it in this league. But why the ho hum about his flaws? Shedding doubt on him based off what he's shown so far is entirely premature. He was one of the youngest players in the draft, this is his 2nd year in the league and he hasn't gotten any time on the court to develop. We HAD to get something for Redick. There was no other decision to make. Getting a guy who was taken with the 19th pick IS the kind of value we hoped for in return for Redick. We have Harris locked up till 2016 and he gives us another solid project to work on while keeping our salary cap in check. Heck who knows... maybe Harris flakes out and Lamb turns into a keeper. So many different things can happen, but it's worth the gamble of finding out because Redick was about to be lost for nothing.

BTW, there are a TON of good players in the league that have difficulty with defense.

it's definitely much better to have another asset on the team than to have JJ walking, or balking at offers below $10M. and i think Harris is a solid piece to add to the team. he's gonna get some big minutes, and i think he'll be a big contributor off the bench. my guess is he'll average 10-12ppg in 25mpg for the remainder of the season. anytime Harris is playing SF, we should be running a whole bunch of post plays for him, cos the dude looks very skilled on that front.

Lamb is another prospect to watch. he hasn't got very good size for a SG, or a good wingspan to compensate, but he can shoot well and he's got good handles. i was never too fussed when watching him last season, because he was never particularly great at anything, and he seemed to force a lot of his shots at times too. but, he can play well within structure when required to, so it's up to JV to give this team some structure.
Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#77 » by Javanar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:43 am

I want to see one of our youngesters to have a 30 pt game.
I am not a native English speaker...
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Bensational » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Javanar wrote:I want to see one of our youngesters to have a 30 pt game.

my money would be on Vuc.

but, Nic and Moe are always a threat to go off, too.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#79 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:04 pm

from BEN GOLLIVER's winners and losers article:
Tobias was a Winner described below, JJ loser for having to go to Milwaukee and Warrick a loser for being traded 4 times during the same contract.

Tobias Harris, Magic: If there’s one totally under-the-radar player moved on Thursday who can emerge into a real player by shifting locales and being given a larger opportunity, it would be Harris. Included as one of the pieces Milwaukee sent to Orlando in exchange for Redick, Harris has good size for a wing and posted decent per-minute numbers in a limited role for the Bucks. Milwaukee simply had too many veteran options in front of the 20-year-old, who was the 19th pick in 2011. In Orlando, coach Jacque Vaughn should be delighted to give Harris the opportunity to showcase his talents.

http://nba.si.com/2013/02/21/nba-trade- ... &eref=sihp
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#80 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Admittedly I haven't seen much of Harris play. I'm relegated to scouring the interwebz for highlight videos which could make Ayon look like an all star.

I like his ability to score, the video I watched showed him defending lebron and melo pretty well. Again too small a sample size bit either way I like his potential. We'll see.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Orlando Magic