ImageImageImage

Call it now: Who we gettin by the trade deadline???

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Re: Call it now: Who we gettin by the trade deadline??? 

Post#381 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 am

Both. Love and Pek are efficient scorers, it's really irrelevant where their misses come from. When we reach a point where the combination of Love and Pek is holding us back, then we can trade one. We're not there yet.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#382 » by karch34 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 am

Worm Guts wrote:When we reach a point where the combination of Love and Pek is holding us back, then we can trade one. We're not there yet.

Thank you! I understand that the two might not be the most ideal pairing and worth discussing, but we've got other issues.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#383 » by Saltine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:05 am

We need a shooting guard, same as the last few years.
When healthy, we have no serious issues at C or PF or PG or SF.

Pek's PER at Center is 20.2, the opposing Center PER is 15.
http://www.82games.com/1213/12MIN19.HTM

:)
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#384 » by Murphs56 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:41 am

I only have 3 issues with Pek

1) He's injury prone
2) He sometimes tends to become a ghost in games especially towards the end. (Not always his fault)
3) He misses a ton of shots around the rim whether they roll off, he refuses to dunk or a shot blocker gets him because he's too slow.

However, even with my 3 issues, the guy has improved every single year and quite honestly, we aren't going to find anyone close to his ability in free agency or the draft.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#385 » by Basti » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 am

Murphs56 wrote:I only have 3 issues with Pek

1) He's injury prone
I find that very annoying, too, but if I remember it correctly the majority of his nagging injuries happened by freak accidents or due to stepping onto another player's foot. While these accidents are quite common which makes it a threat for Pek every game, it's not like his body gives up on him like Kirilenko's or Roy's do (extreme example, I know, but you get the point)

Murphs56 wrote:2) He sometimes tends to become a ghost in games especially towards the end. (Not always his fault)

I wish Pek was a bit more vocal about the lack of touches in the 2nd half, in particular when he had great first halves, but I'm sure Adelman is to blame here. It can't be a coincidence that Pek so often gets frozen out offensively.

Murphs56 wrote:3) He misses a ton of shots around the rim whether they roll off, he refuses to dunk or a shot blocker gets him because he's too slow.

Yes, that's really frustrating. I wish he'd dunk it every time.
Overall, he still shoots a nice % from the floor, though ;)

Murphs56 wrote:However, even with my 3 issues, the guy has improved every single year and quite honestly, we aren't going to find anyone close to his ability in free agency or the draft.

Exactly. Unless Love shows up with a much more improved and diverse post up game next season, there's no reason to let Pek go. We need post scoring.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#386 » by southern wolf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:28 am

Murphs56 wrote:we aren't going to find anyone close to his ability in free agency or the draft.

That is why I'm desperate to keep him. Good centres are damned hard to find, that is why teams will overpay Pek in the off-season and why we need to match. McHale had an eye for big men, Kahn has an eye for flashy smiles, he's not going to find another star centre.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#387 » by Dewey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Bottom-line:
Pek < $10 million good
Pek > $10 million challenging

I'm not in a big hurry to move Pek untill we see that a healthy squad WITH a legit NBA starrting caliber SG isn't working.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#388 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm

The J Rocka wrote:After watching Rubio excel with Faried, excuse me for wanting someone that can catch & finish most of Rubio's dimes. After awhile, you get sick of watching stonehands and blown layups. Rubio plays better with athletic bigs. Can he still play & make guys like Love & Pek look like stars? Of course, he made Darko look great.

You're serously using an all star game with zero defense where Rubio plays 16 minutes to decide that Rubio plays better with athletic bigs and that we should move Pek?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#389 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:56 pm

we just need some lethal finishers at any position. Thats one we took a step back from this year to last was our transition offense. Last year, we had Wes, AR15, Martroll, and Beasley that could all get ahead of the pack in transition and finish above the rim. Then if the transition defense was in place, we had Love coming in for that top of the key 3.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#390 » by The J Rocka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:After watching Rubio excel with Faried, excuse me for wanting someone that can catch & finish most of Rubio's dimes. After awhile, you get sick of watching stonehands and blown layups. Rubio plays better with athletic bigs. Can he still play & make guys like Love & Pek look like stars? Of course, he made Darko look great.

You're serously using an all star game with zero defense where Rubio plays 16 minutes to decide that Rubio plays better with athletic bigs and that we should move Pek?

I knew somebody would comeback with this one. There obviously wasn't any kind of top notch defense being played but it wasn't like players were standing around like they were in the end of the game. Doesn't change the fact Rubio still hooked them up and they were still able to finish the way you want all your bigs to finish. Rubio even said it himself that he loves playing with athletic bigs. He has to talk with Pek constantly about catching the ball and finishing with authority.

You can even use Chris Johnson as a small sample size. When he was coming into the games being 14 points down, Rubio & Ridnour were both able to hook him up easily and brought us back into games. Even defensively, he brought us back. It's just too bad he doesn't have enough bulk to bully more people down low.

I'm not saying dump Pek for nothing, but it's going to have to be addressed at some point whether or not Pek is worth max/near max money and if he's the right solution moving forward. I think we should have a perfect balance in the starting lineup. If Love wasn't such a slug defensively, this wouldn't be that big of an issue. If he could even be average, we would be able to get by. Nerlens Noel would be perfect next to Love or Pek.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#391 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Unless you have all around superduper stars like LBJ or CP3, you're always going to have imperfect fits. Noel/Love is great on paper, but Love really isn't that great a low post scorer; he's solid, but his bread and butter is his ability to space the floor. With that duo I wouldn't be surprised if we have a lot to complain about in our lack of paint offense. We need more good players first, then we can figure out how to tweak the roster fit. Right now there's so much surrounding mediocrity that it might not be a fair assessment of the Pek/Love/Rubio triumvirate
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#392 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:47 pm

We just have to keep progressing forward. It doesn't really add any insight to say we need to move Pek or Love because obviously letting one go for a poor return is going to make us worse. How do we make ourselves better? It's about who we can add, not who we can let go.
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#393 » by jfg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Worm Guts wrote:We just have to keep progressing forward. It doesn't really add any insight to say we need to move Pek or Love because obviously letting one go for a poor return is going to make us worse. How do we make ourselves better? It's about who we can add, not who we can let go.

Agreed and like I said before, letting Pek and his 5 million hit against the cap go doesn't give us the ability to add anything special. For the team it makes no sense to let Pek go. For Taylor, it makes sense if he doesn't want to pay luxury taxes down the road.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#394 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Sign him.

Trade him if it doesnt work out for more assets.

I love pek tho, so i hope this works out.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#395 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 pm

I'd love to see Kevin get a back to the basket game tho.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#396 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:43 pm

NikolaPekovic wrote:I'd love to see Kevin get a back to the basket game tho.

He has one. He just doesn't use it much and it's not as evolved as other All Star PFs.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#397 » by cpfsf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:53 am

min in: asik nash
min out:: pekovic ridnour

la in: pekovic ridnour
la out: howard

hou in: howard
hou out: asik

i made a pekovic trade for sake of making pekovic trade. i hope pekovic stays. this is strictly a cpfsf is bored trade. kitty litter doesn't completely conceal the cat poo smell

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,006

Post#398 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:54 am

Houston getting Howard for just Asik? Why wouldnt we just trade pek/ridnour for dwight?
love/dwight would be an amazing combo.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#399 » by Esohny » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:21 am

I got it...why don't we give 'em to...MONGO!?

SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#400 » by Basti » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 am

Did you smell a bit too much kitty litter, cpfsf? Where does Nash suddenly come from? How do the salaries match etc.

If Nash had less than 3 years on his deal and wouldn't be in a constant threat to injure himself upon an arrival here, I'd like the value in this trade very much, though.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves