ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

yoshii8
Sixth Man
And1: 276

Re: OT: Restaurant/Food/Beer Discussion 

Post#361 » by yoshii8 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm taking my wife to Milwaukee on Saturday, we are staying at the Hyatt downtown. I'm looking for a restaraunt that is somewhat romantic, and vegetarian friendly within walking distance. What's your opinion on the Calderone Club, does that fit the description??
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#362 » by Newz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:41 am

yoshii8 wrote:I'm taking my wife to Milwaukee on Saturday, we are staying at the Hyatt downtown. I'm looking for a restaraunt that is somewhat romantic, and vegetarian friendly within walking distance. What's your opinion on the Calderone Club, does that fit the description??

Do you like Thai food? Thai Palace and King & Thai are both pretty solid, but unspectacular.

Calderone Club is a decent place to take a date because of the atmosphere. They used to be a place I loved because their food was all reasonably priced and tasty. For some reason they jacked up their prices by about 50-60% of what they used to be and now it just seems ridiculously overpriced to me.
EzeDoesIt
Junior
And1: 10

Post#363 » by EzeDoesIt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Thought I'd share this, saw it on Facebook:

Brunch, MKE style...

Damn, I want one lol.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#364 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:13 pm

yoshii8 wrote:I'm taking my wife to Milwaukee on Saturday, we are staying at the Hyatt downtown. I'm looking for a restaraunt that is somewhat romantic, and vegetarian friendly within walking distance. What's your opinion on the Calderone Club, does that fit the description??

My wife and I were big fans of the Calderone Club. A few years back we stayed at the Hyatt and were going to do a dinner date at that Polarus or whatever, but then decided to go to the Calderone Club. Really good food, atmosphere was good, and as of the last time we were there the prices were reasonable. I see the last post said they jacked up prices though, so I don't know.
jtrinaldi
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#365 » by jtrinaldi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:37 pm

Went to cafe benelux last night before the game. Being the winter, I was not expecting much. I have herd great reviews about what they do in the summer. It is certainly a different type of place, the menu was all very fancy and whatnot, and off to the side of their Burger Menu, they had a Pancake special. To say it is pricey is fair, my burger and fries with a drink cost me $18. I had their burger of the week special, which was a Mexican themed burger (it is a European restaurant serving a Burger with Queso :lol). Pretty much all it was was a nice sized burger with Pico De Gayo and queso. The burger was very good, but not a burger that I would ever pay $15 for. Most of the entrees for dinner are between 14-20. My parents were with me and had ifferent types of sandwiches. They were satisfied.

http://www.cafebenelux.com/
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#366 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 pm

crkone wrote:Anyone have the untappd app? I just started using it. It lets you checkin the beers you're drinking and where you're drinking them. Let's you rate them and comment too. I decided to just do one checkin per beer to have a nice clean list. Friend me if you want by looking for my Twitter. Same as screen name.

I have the app but I haven't really used it yet because I figured there wouldn't be anyone else I would know. I think I'll start using this app now though. I believe I just sent a friend request to you.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#367 » by crkone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:41 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
crkone wrote:Anyone have the untappd app? I just started using it. It lets you checkin the beers you're drinking and where you're drinking them. Let's you rate them and comment too. I decided to just do one checkin per beer to have a nice clean list. Friend me if you want by looking for my Twitter. Same as screen name.

I have the app but I haven't really used it yet because I figured there wouldn't be anyone else I would know. I think I'll start using this app now though. I believe I just sent a friend request to you.

Didn't get it, so send email to crkone at yahoo dot com and I will get back to you.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#368 » by chuckleslove » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:48 am

jtrinaldi wrote:Went to cafe benelux last night before the game. Being the winter, I was not expecting much. I have herd great reviews about what they do in the summer. It is certainly a different type of place, the menu was all very fancy and whatnot, and off to the side of their Burger Menu, they had a Pancake special. To say it is pricey is fair, my burger and fries with a drink cost me $18. I had their burger of the week special, which was a Mexican themed burger (it is a European restaurant serving a Burger with Queso :lol). Pretty much all it was was a nice sized burger with Pico De Gayo and queso. The burger was very good, but not a burger that I would ever pay $15 for. Most of the entrees for dinner are between 14-20. My parents were with me and had ifferent types of sandwiches. They were satisfied.

http://www.cafebenelux.com/

I went there for brunch the day after my sister's wedding about a year ago, the food I had was good but I agree on the overpriced part. I had some creme brulee french toast which I don't even see on the current menu, it was very good but not worth what I paid imo.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#369 » by raysbookclub » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 am

I

If the Calderone Club doesn't work out somehow, what about Coquette Cafe? Terrific restaurant. It might be a bit far to walk on a cold night, but it's less than a mile away. It has some vegetarian entrees, and the desserts are so good too. My wife and I went for just dessert recently, and she had this flourless chocolate dessert, which was incredible. If I've ever had food that tasted sensual, as my wife called it, that was it. It was a du jour plate, but they offer it somewhat regularly, our server said.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#370 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Anybody have a preference b/w La Perla and La Fuente in the Walkers Point neighborhood? And how is that neighborhood (around National, 2nd and 5th St's) as far as walking around on a Friday evening around 7-10PM? I'm not all that familar with that neighborhood, generally stay around downtown and Third Ward when we head down there.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#371 » by chuckleslove » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:30 pm

I used to always recommend Cielito Llindo down there but they got a new chef or something and their food took a huge dive. Hopefully Newz chimes in because I think he has a preference on one of those Mexican places.

As for the neighborhood it isn't that great but it isn't terrible either. After you eat go stop by La Cage for some drinks ;) Should be a fun crowd on a Friday night.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#372 » by Newz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:33 pm

I wouldn't go for a stroll at night in that neighborhood, but I also wouldn't be scared to drive and eat down there. It's pretty safe... just don't wander too far down National or it gets pretty rough.

There are three Mexican places on 5th and National. Botanas, La Perla and La Fuente. I honestly rate them all about the same. Botanas has the most potential out of all of them. I have gone there and got some excellent meals, but it is pretty inconsistent. Think of it as the Monta Ellis of Mexican places... every once and a while it have it all, but sometimes you get food that could be great but is pretty mediocre. :P

La Fuente is probably the safest bet to have a solid meal at and La Perla is just kind of meh.
Allanon23
Senior
And1: 102

Post#373 » by Allanon23 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:37 pm

This new BBQ and Burger place opened up recently in West Allis on Greenfield, called Double B's. I've only been there twice, but it was solid. The first time I went, I got the brisket plate that comes with two sides plus their cornbread. The brisket was decent, but the real star of the plate was the BBQ beans side. They are easily the best beans I've ever eaten at a restaurant. The second time, I tried a burger that had ham, a fried egg, and bacon on top. It was amazing.

The prices aren't stellar, but this is the first BBQ joint in the area in a long time to my knowledge.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#374 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I know once you go down National it gets a little hairy. When I was at Marquette when you crossed that bridge over I-94 towards Potawotami, the farther you went towards National, yeah...

We're heading to that Milwaukee Brewing Company for a tour and debating whether to eat around there or just head back to the downtown area/Third Ward. I remember in college that La Perla was frequented by others and they do offer a shuttle which is nice. If none are anything special, may just do the tour. I know we have a certificate for that Red Rock Saloon, so maybe just get grub there and then we're on Water too.

Love the Monta comparison, lol.
crkone
RealGM

Post#375 » by crkone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:58 pm

I like Botanas the best out of those three. It's not too bad but yeah don't walk west at all if possible.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
crkone
RealGM

Post#376 » by crkone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:02 pm

You're also near 3rd Ward and there are some pretty good restaurants there like Graffito, Hinterland, or Smoke Shack.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#377 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:04 pm

FWIW, Botanas is the best of those 3. La Fuente is definitely better than La Perla if you're deciding between the 2. And you'll be fine walking around that neighborhood on a Friday or Saturday night.

I don't like Red Rock Saloon because I don't like country music, but the food is really good.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#378 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:12 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:FWIW, Botanas is the best of those 3. La Fuente is definitely better than La Perla if you're deciding between the 2. And you'll be fine walking around that neighborhood on a Friday or Saturday night.

I don't like Red Rock Saloon because I don't like country music, but the food is really good.

Yeah, I don't either. But in a group of 6 and others do, so I'll bite the bullet. Glad food is good.

crkone wrote:You're also near 3rd Ward and there are some pretty good restaurants there like Graffito, Hinterland, or Smoke Shack.

My wife and I usually frequent the 3rd Ward and really like.
dedned
Analyst
And1: 1,330

Post#379 » by dedned » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Don't go to any of those places. go here and get the tongue:

https://plus.google.com/109605123332913342684/about?gl=us&hl=en

I'm usually pretty drunk when I eat there tho. So who really knows if its any good.
raws
Pro Prospect
And1: 287

Post#380 » by raws » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Is this an appropriate place to ask about housing? I am moving to Milwaukee shortly for work, and I am looking for an apartment in downtown. Close proximity to nightlife is a plus. I would also prefer to have an on-site fitness facility and indoor parking. Ideally, I'd like to not spend over $1000 for a 1BR or studio.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks