ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt.LI "Trade Deadline" Edition)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt.LI "Trade Deadline" Edit 

Post#1241 » by OrlDave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:08 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlDave wrote:Well, in the context of THIS trade I think it's hard for the Magic to ever be the losers. You trade a guy you likely were never going to resign due to cost and get a couple cheap guys on rookie contracts and an expiring. Even the worst case is paying a couple guys next to nothing to rot on the bench for a couple years.

I disagree. Nobody ever stated that they would never resign Redick. He could have been resigned or just let him go as an expiring for more cap space. But, Magic got that cap space back in Udrih, thus the Magic got the better end of the deal because they got both cap space and two promising players. But, I doubt Lamb will be kept as he looks worse than Harper out there.

Low risk, high reward. Because, even if Lamb and Harris don't make the cut, the Magic still got their cap space.

you know, the Magic still can sign Redick in the off-season. They can make offers like all the other teams.
FWIW

That's a very good point. Granted there maybe a bit of bridge burning from the trade, but JJ strikes me as a professional.
magicaroni
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#1242 » by magicaroni » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Tayswagzzz wrote:
glennathan wrote:
Tayswagzzz wrote:I'm assuming the large TPE you all are talking about is the one from Howard? When does that expire?

The large TPE expires 08/19/13

Hennigan has some choices to be made..we could be a playoff team next season with that TPE on a FA..not exactly sure if we'd be title contenders..or we continue the path we're on and tank another season..decisions decisions..

At this point, I think you have to tank the 2013-1014 season, or all of this was wasted effort. If we don't have a top 5 pick in 2014 to draft Wiggins, Parker, Vonleh, Harrison, or Young, this was all just a big waste of our time. We have to start adding 1 franchise piece per year the way OKC did. It obviously takes great scouting, and a certain amount of luck.

However, if managed properly, we can draft a guy in '13 (McElmore, Shabazz, Bennett, or Noel), tank next year to make a run at Wiggins, and be set with the best young squad in the East for the next ten years.

This is all ideal and hypothetical. So you only hope what you build through the draft represents what happened in OKC (Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka), and not what happened in ATL (J.Smith, Marvin Williams, Horford, Teague).

Being stuck in mediocrity is worse than being stuck at the bottom. At least at the bottom you can have hope of drafting a savior.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#1243 » by OrlDave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:12 pm

glennathan wrote:“@Andrew_Melnick: Last time Orlando played Memphis, they started Daniel Orton, Earl Clark, Hedo Turkoglu, Von Wafer and Chris Duhon.”

Wow... Trade killed our depth lol

Tonight we start Moore, Afflalo, Harkless, Nicholson, Vucevic

Wow, what the crap happened last year that we had to start that horrific lineup. I mean, no Jameer, JJ, Dwight, BBD, or either Richardson? That's just crazy bad.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#1244 » by FFBlitzace » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:13 pm

AdamTheGreek sighting (or hearing, rather) at 15:09 in the Hennigan video. Should have said "magicbasketballonline.com with a shoutout to realgm.com."
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#1245 » by OrlDave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:17 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:AdamTheGreek sighting (or hearing, rather) at 15:09 in the Hennigan video. Should have said "magicbasketballonline.com with a shoutout to realgm.com."

Nice! Didn't notice it was Adam. Could you hear the followup that Rob said "That's a good question" at around 15:35?
Bo Outlaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 225

Post#1246 » by Bo Outlaw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:32 pm

OrlDave wrote:
glennathan wrote:“@Andrew_Melnick: Last time Orlando played Memphis, they started Daniel Orton, Earl Clark, Hedo Turkoglu, Von Wafer and Chris Duhon.”

Wow, what the crap happened last year that we had to start that horrific lineup. I mean, no Jameer, JJ, Dwight, BBD, or either Richardson? That's just crazy bad.

QRich,JRich,Redick,Nelson,Ryno all sat out to rest for the last game of the season. Big Baby was resting an injury. Dwight was obviously out.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#1247 » by OrlDave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Bo Outlaw wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

QRich,JRich,Redick,Nelson,Ryno all sat out to rest for the last game of the season. Big Baby was resting an injury. Dwight was obviously out.

Thanks, now that you mention it I think I remember that. I must have blocked it from my memory.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#1248 » by OrlandO » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:49 pm

arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#1249 » by arsenal6106 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm

OrlandO wrote:Image

your new avatar
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#1250 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:24 pm

I thought Brian from OS asked a good question about why Henny moved two guys (Ryan and JJ) that seemed like they fit exactly what Henny was looking for. Henny said, well, it's a business, and I think we've got those guys on our roster now. He said we might have a future star on the roster right now.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#1251 » by drsd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:25 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:I thought Brian from OS asked a good question about why Henny moved two guys (Ryan and JJ) that seemed like they fit exactly what Henny was looking for. Henny said, well, it's a business, and I think we've got those guys on our roster now. He said we might have a future star on the roster right now.

GM Hennigan clearly values youth.

rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#1252 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:28 pm

It really came across that he and his team are really into moneyball.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#1253 » by MagicHolland » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:30 pm

drsd wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:I thought Brian from OS asked a good question about why Henny moved two guys (Ryan and JJ) that seemed like they fit exactly what Henny was looking for. Henny said, well, it's a business, and I think we've got those guys on our roster now. He said we might have a future star on the roster right now.

And capspace..
blue and white
Bench Warmer
And1: 57

Post#1254 » by blue and white » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:36 pm

MagicHolland wrote:
drsd wrote:

And capspace..

Well at least now we are certain of some things hes good at.
1. great at trading away our best players
2. putting a terrible team together on purpose
3. has good vision with young players
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#1255 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:It really came across that he and his team are really into moneyball.

I don't think so yet. Because, outside of Vucevic, Moore & Nicholson, all the youth he has gathered are horrible percentage guys as far as efficiency.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#1256 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 pm

^^^ all 3 key in a rebuilding stage.

I'm just anxious to see once this team starts becoming relevant again how he tinkers with the roster to put us over the top.

Bright future.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#1257 » by Horcy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
I got a feeling that wont happen. Rob and his team know what they are doing. They have a good plan and a good eye.

I got the same feeling. It's kinda obvious that Rob have acquired warrick and udrih because they have expiring contracts (warrick has a team option) but there's also a reason why he chose Tobias Harris. That's intriguing. he desperately wanted to acquire Vucevic and he turned into a beast :D
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#1258 » by Tayswagzzz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Horcy wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
I got a feeling that wont happen. Rob and his team know what they are doing. They have a good plan and a good eye.

I got the same feeling. It's kinda obvious that Rob have acquired warrick and udrih because they have expiring contracts (warrick has a team option) but there's also a reason why he chose Tobias Harris. That's intriguing. he desperately wanted to acquire Vucevic and he turned into a beast :D

He really wanted Harkless and that's turned out great too..Harkless has all-star potential imo
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
recko321
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#1259 » by recko321 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Soooooooo what happens now, draft seems forever away :cry:
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#1260 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Even if only Nicholson, Vucevic and Moore survive to be the next Dwight/JJ/Meer, then I will be fine if the rest don't pan out because it would be easy to fill in the gaps with next years pick and Free Agency.

This team will be fine regardless of any other Henny blunders because it is impossible to be an infallible GM. This team should at the very least be a playoff team unless the 1st round pick fails like Darko or Miles and the Free Agents turn out like Ben Gordon or Charlie V!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic